Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 CDi mod

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Does anyone know if there are any direct fit, (clips and o-rings, slip joint) non silencer equipped charge pipes for both the turbo exit to intercooler AND the intercooler to up pipe to manifold WITHOUT resonators preferably in aluminum? I've been busy at work, like REALLY busy so free fab time is limited and has been for almost three years now. Going to redo a bit of plumbing on the post-compressor side of the equation while switching to a different AEM water/methanol strategy. If isstay is still around I'd love to chat on that AMG 10 blade exducer and larger compressor wheel, eventually I'll have to rebuild my turbo and I still cannot leave well enough alone? Can you get these parts? I have not found a source in USA and LOVE the sound of the 10 blade exducer s, have kept the one on my 6.0 Ford work truck going for many years and a rebuild and another partial rebuild, NOTHING sounds as close to a jet turbine as an even 10 blade exducer and preferably an even count compressor. Car is worth nothing now at 213,000 miles here so I just keep adding power.

Also current torque at 478 ft/lbs, which is fine but definitely wouldn't mind carrying that or more to higher rpm which is where it is more power. Where do I hit defined failure point of trans. I do not often use full power, like a few times a year and change trans oil every 50k miles or so but have never seen debris or even significant darkening of fluid. Commute is 100 miles daily.

The water/meth thing I want to switch to charge temp triggering ONLY instead of boost combined with "at will" use via manual control. The reason is often in Texas summers 104-112F is ambient temp so hitting 50C power reduction can happen often with my mapping where I left that safety (for the motor) protection alone. I have a slightly larger intercooler but have also been considering a water to air charge cooler as they work much better on everything I've tried them on...

Enough for now. Back to ordering disks and pads and sensors and normal wear items. SBC cannot even with Star or iCarSoft be convinced my severely worn rotors -6.5-7.1mm front and -4mm rear are OK. Time to fix this for the next 200k. Pretty ones in shopping cart, cast with holes, not drilled.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Rac
Does anyone know if there are any direct fit, (clips and o-rings, slip joint) non silencer equipped charge pipes for both the turbo exit to intercooler AND the intercooler to up pipe to manifold WITHOUT resonators preferably in aluminum? I've been busy at work, like REALLY busy so free fab time is limited and has been for almost three years now. Going to redo a bit of plumbing on the post-compressor side of the equation while switching to a different AEM water/methanol strategy. If isstay is still around I'd love to chat on that AMG 10 blade exducer and larger compressor wheel, eventually I'll have to rebuild my turbo and I still cannot leave well enough alone? Can you get these parts? I have not found a source in USA and LOVE the sound of the 10 blade exducer s, have kept the one on my 6.0 Ford work truck going for many years and a rebuild and another partial rebuild, NOTHING sounds as close to a jet turbine as an even 10 blade exducer and preferably an even count compressor. Car is worth nothing now at 213,000 miles here so I just keep adding power.

Also current torque at 478 ft/lbs, which is fine but definitely wouldn't mind carrying that or more to higher rpm which is where it is more power. Where do I hit defined failure point of trans. I do not often use full power, like a few times a year and change trans oil every 50k miles or so but have never seen debris or even significant darkening of fluid. Commute is 100 miles daily.

The water/meth thing I want to switch to charge temp triggering ONLY instead of boost combined with "at will" use via manual control. The reason is often in Texas summers 104-112F is ambient temp so hitting 50C power reduction can happen often with my mapping where I left that safety (for the motor) protection alone. I have a slightly larger intercooler but have also been considering a water to air charge cooler as they work much better on everything I've tried them on...

Enough for now. Back to ordering disks and pads and sensors and normal wear items. SBC cannot even with Star or iCarSoft be convinced my severely worn rotors -6.5-7.1mm front and -4mm rear are OK. Time to fix this for the next 200k. Pretty ones in shopping cart, cast with holes, not drilled.
My intercooler ends are direct fit to the factory plumbing, if this is what you are asking. In addition, I still have the turbo and rest of the parts for sale if you are or someone else is interested.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM

W211 e320 CDI
PM or email me pics and pricing, with shipping across pond. Micahshoemaker at hotmail dot com. I'm especially interested in a turbo out pipe without silencer and an intercooler to up pipe without resonator. The ten blade AMG turbo though, that is fascinating to me!
Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM

W211 e320 CDI
I wouldn't kick a bigger charge cooler out of bed, no matter their efficiency when air temp at intake duct is 118F they can only do so much

Old 10-26-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210
Here!! I am here to help
Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 PM

W211 e320 CDI
Well last night was quite the score for eBay accidental shopping. Found a complete exhaust manifold with turbo plus outlet silencer (what I was looking for to make a non silenced full flow replacement) plus charge cooler piping from both sides for $101 buy-it now. Couldn’t resist. Had to have lol. So ordered some round stock to make block off plates, some AEM water/meth injectors and nozzles. Of, comes with all electronics too. Score lol
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Can't wait to see what it looks like once you're done with it!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 AM

W211 e320 CDI
Well...considering paint color options for the intake now, very unusual for me. How does a green color sound, possibly black krickle though as I’ve got to order a batch of that anyway for another project of the DIY sort? I’m not polishing the stupid thing but this V3 plumbing set I think needs a little cooler. Next hose replacement I’ll be doing a combo or red (hot) and blue (cooled) SAMCO like on my other rides so green might be a bit too obnoxious? Valve cover will have to come off before 300k miles (222k now) for gaskets and such, probably paint it at same time. Loved my gold Kringle NSX valve covers....dunno, any input, including, WTF is wrong with you, leave it alone....is appreciated lol

If I make a V4 manifold I’m only using part of the stock manifold, water to air charge cooler will make up most of plenum section and all port runners will be tipped with appropriate radiused stacks.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
I dunno what half the parts you talk about are. But yeah, green'd be different.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E320 CDI
Sounds like quite the score!

I would warn against the AEM water/meth. They seem to have quite a few issues with the pump or some piece failing and allowing water into the intake and possible engine hydro locking. I would recommend the Snow performance parts over the AEM for quality and longevity.

Please post up some pics of the non-silenced pipe. Did they ever make a factory metal one? Is the charge cooler piping still mostly rubber?

Any plans for the exhaust manifold?

Well last night was quite the score for eBay accidental shopping. Found a complete exhaust manifold with turbo plus outlet silencer (what I was looking for to make a non silenced full flow replacement) plus charge cooler piping from both sides for $101 buy-it now. Couldn’t resist. Had to have lol. So ordered some round stock to make block off plates, some AEM water/meth injectors and nozzles. Of, comes with all electronics too. Score lol
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM

W211 e320 CDI
So yes, the V3/4 version of the intake manifold is very much like the truck manifold already on the car. I’m just amazed my first attempt at TIG welding plate to cast aluminum in twenty years went so well, hacksaw cut rough shape, zero filler material or rod used, water tight on test bench. More to come, doing something a bit counter intuitive with the angles of the water/methanol nozzles, you’ll see shortly after my raw material arrives. Having a lathe and CNC at work is so freaking awesome!

weird, the pictures I uploaded are not showing up...can always link to them if needed...

[img]https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=373779&d=1548384182

[img]https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=373780&d=1548384182

Last edited by Micah / AF1 Rac; 01-24-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 PM

W211 e320 CDI

Stock OM648 intercooler discharge pipe with silencer, soon to look different

that was fast...by tomorrow or next week the intake silencer on this pipe should be gone for good!

The following users liked this post:
Motohead1 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 PM

W211 e320 CDI
A6481400087 is the part number for the turbo discharge pipe in aluminum for the OM648, just got one coming from a breaker in Ireland! $55 shipped! Finally a modification worthy part!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 AM

06 E320 CDI
Glad you found the part and thanks for sharing the part number. Would love to hear your impressions of how it changes the sound (if at all) of the car.

Looks like the S320 CDI got this pipe overseas.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:08 AM

W211 e320 CDI
Just hoping in aluminum it’s and easy cut/weld while retaining stock clip type boost pipe connectors to charge pipe to cooler. If I need to shorten, none side and replace silencer cone on other no big deal.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 AM

06 E320 CDI
Appears to be aluminum and it's definitely longer than the stock plastic one
Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 AM

W211 e320 CDI
As long as ID is correct on turbo end and output side, it’s just a little TIG time, if I get my saw cuts close to right one filler rod or less I hope! Then any internal roughness will be addressed with porting tools....maybe going onto a new charge cooler, getting VERY tempted to go max, some modifications required air to air on this one with these new parts plus the water methanol to get a V3/4/5 set of results.

So EGT question for the pros. On racing motorcycle builds for land speed I put both wideband and EGT probes pre turbo for max speed and data resolution at lower rpms. What is considered THE ideal location for an EGT probe. I’m thinking near entry to turbocharger as it should show a nice consistent blend of all six cylinders EGT and allow me to never exceed 1180x1200F, though on race bikes I commonly run 1550F if supercharged or nitrous, but definitely not into a nice Garrett Turbocharger.

Btw, I have seen that aluminum compressor “oil return”/silencer in a form closer to exact replacement part but could not find again. I try to save all part numbers for easier searching. That said, my master list was on a tablet destroyed by a customer by accident so I’m rebuilding it slowly. If anyone has the Saloon differential part number it’s like 7% taller final drive gearing, I need to get another of those too.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM

06 E320 CDI
The turbo end will be the same as they ran the same turbo setup. I cannot confirm the intercooler piping side.

That is where I would put the EGT probe since this is a non-divided manifold. 1250F sustained is safe. You can do over 1500F for 15-20 second or so bursts with no ill effects since it takes a bit for the metal to get this hot as well.

I think you are looking for the wagon/estate differential that is taller. The saloon would be the same as we got since that is what they call a sedan across the pond.

If anyone finds the factory replacement metal one please post it up. That might only require 2 cuts and welds to remove the silencer from.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:13 PM

W211 e320 CDI
Yes, the estate or wagon has the taller differential. It’s only a little like 7% but I got anther 7% or so out of my dirt road tires, it all adds up. If it can make boost at basement rpms, I see little advantages in spinning crank faster since 98% of my driving is a hundred mile daily highway commute. Even my winter fuel economy is pretty damn good lately, granted it’s texas so winter is not really like WINTER for most of you folks.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:30 AM

1982 300D
Originally Posted by tuikku
Inside it, there is a fueling limiter.
It can be removed.

That is called an Edge Filter. It does not restrict flow.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 AM

W211 e320 CDI
That looks like both a metal shard filter (pump failure bits) and indeed a flow restriction. Bought tuikku’s intercooer and large volume pump yesterday....the charge cooler will not longer restrict airflow for me. I’m gonna need a solid 12 hour day on lift to mount these next round of mods and service transmission again (second time in 222k miles) and final drive fluid, first time in 222k miles really.

Issatay and tuikku, your thoughts on this bit pictured above? If it offers only minimal restriction while protecting injectors I’ll keep em’ in place. Injectors are crazy money.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Here is where I put mine ... injectors not too bad .. can get the European ones and they work just fine. Someone also reported using Sprinter can ones with no issues:

Last edited by turbo97se; 02-01-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 AM

W211 e320 CDI
Almost exactly where I was thinking. Cool. I’m a little scared of running over 1200F. My Ford 6.0 stage one reflash ate its exducer side alive going up the Raton Pass pulling a trailer on IH25 at an indicated 1220F and that EGT was at turbo exit where all the Ford crowd says to mount, they are wrong obviously but that was a expensive lesson. No crazy tune on it, no EGR and only one of 5 steps hotter than stock on EDGE programmer. Ruined a really nice 10 blade exducer and shaft.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM

06 E320 CDI
How big is the core on Tuikku's intercooler? Did he include any parts with the pump to make it fit your engine? Where dd he relocate the fuel temp sensor to on the pump?

That looks like both a metal shard filter (pump failure bits) and indeed a flow restriction. Bought tuikku’s intercooer and large volume pump yesterday....the charge cooler will not longer restrict airflow for me. I’m gonna need a solid 12 hour day on lift to mount these next round of mods and service transmission again (second time in 222k miles) and final drive fluid, first time in 222k miles really.

Issatay and tuikku, your thoughts on this bit pictured above? If it offers only minimal restriction while protecting injectors I’ll keep em’ in place. Injectors are crazy money.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM

06 E320 CDI
Almost exactly where I was thinking. Cool. I’m a little scared of running over 1200F. My Ford 6.0 stage one reflash ate its exducer side alive going up the Raton Pass pulling a trailer on IH25 at an indicated 1220F and that EGT was at turbo exit where all the Ford crowd says to mount, they are wrong obviously but that was a expensive lesson. No crazy tune on it, no EGR and only one of 5 steps hotter than stock on EDGE programmer. Ruined a really nice 10 blade exducer and shaft.
Turbo exit meaning on the downpipe after it leaves the turbine?

If so, that was your issue. Temps after the turbo will be ~300 F lower than in the manifold before the turbo.

1250 F pre turbo is fine for sustained periods of towing, 1450F, or really even higher, is fine for 15-20 second pulls. Sounds like you were closer to 1500 or 1550 sustained pre-turbo and thats not good.

Do you think the turbo was possibly sticking creating a lot of exhaust backpressure as well? What boost was it making?

I also see that Darkside Developments (big in the TDI community) is offering a GT2570v hybrid turbo for sale for our cars. Appears to use a much larger turbine and a larger billet compressor wheel.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-mercedes.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: E320 CDi mod