Notices
Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 CDi mod

 
Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru Impreza wagon 07
E320 CDi mod

Hello everyone

I am totally a new to the MB world, The car which interest me the most is actually that E class CDI.

I am jsut wonderin that do any company sell mods on this car? (ex. bigger injector, Turbo, intercooler.....)

For moding a new Benz, will it be super difficult? Since I know MB's computer is a PITA to deal with specially you mod it

when i do my research on VW's TDI, tons of mods, but.... those North America's TDI tranny internal is way weaker than Euro's.... so even a bit of mod, you can blow the tranny in no time...
SuperTurbo is offline  
The following users liked this post:
diesel315 (04-29-2016)
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by SuperTurbo View Post
Hello everyone

I am totally a new to the MB world, The car which interest me the most is actually that E class CDI.

I am jsut wonderin that do any company sell mods on this car? (ex. bigger injector, Turbo, intercooler.....)

For moding a new Benz, will it be super difficult? Since I know MB's computer is a PITA to deal with specially you mod it

when i do my research on VW's TDI, tons of mods, but.... those North America's TDI tranny internal is way weaker than Euro's.... so even a bit of mod, you can blow the tranny in no time...
Tuning box is the way to go with 2006 and older cars. Carlsson is one I would choose (240 bhp, 425 pound foot) for about $1,000.00 plus shipping and taxes. Check it out on the Carlsson website.

Unfortunately there are so few E320 CDis in the USA and tuning firms do not cater to such a small market, unlike the VW TDis.
harkgar is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 11:12 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru Impreza wagon 07
Ha, you located in Toronto too??

yea, VW have lots of things to mod, unfortunately the tranny just can't stand on that power.... I am hoping the new DSG on the Jetta can stand on more power.... many PPL claim that once they mod it, the tranny can't keep up.

Just wonderin, do you think you can tell me more that which company modify MB cars? (engine, performance wise, specially on Diesel car)

do you know any shop in Tor do taht too?
SuperTurbo is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,297
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Bigger injector, huh?

STANDARD injectors are $750 each.
lkchris is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaiex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,454
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C220CDI AMG// '08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
You can use injectors and parts from other MB models, thats what we are using here in Europe, also turbos...

I'm upgrading my intercooler and turbo soon
gaiex is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by gaiex View Post
You can use injectors and parts from other MB models, thats what we are using here in Europe, also turbos...

I'm upgrading my intercooler and turbo soon
Hey Mr. Gaiex,

Let us know more about those interchangeable Mercedes Benz diesel parts with part numbers, like injectors, e.g. swapping the E400 CDi ones for our one and only E320 CDi engines. There are so many diesel engines in the E series I am sure a lot of parts are common to all.

The only thing is the E320 CDi is the second most powerful diesel engine so the only upgrades have to come from the E400 CDi parts bin.
harkgar is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Bigger injector, huh?

STANDARD injectors are $750 each.
Are they 999 gold plated?
harkgar is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by SuperTurbo View Post
Ha, you located in Toronto too??

yea, VW have lots of things to mod, unfortunately the tranny just can't stand on that power.... I am hoping the new DSG on the Jetta can stand on more power.... many PPL claim that once they mod it, the tranny can't keep up.

Just wonderin, do you think you can tell me more that which company modify MB cars? (engine, performance wise, specially on Diesel car)

do you know any shop in Tor do taht too?
I chipped my 1999 VW Jetta TDi with an Upsolute chip (last of the computer with plug and play chips) without any other modification and felt that it had sufficient power. Other owners chopped the muffler without significant noise increases. There is a guy from the north doing this in a garage near the Yorkdale Mall once in a while in one of his GTSs. His nickname is Tazz.

Oakridge Autos in Oakville does the tuning box (not Carlsson but the other make). Look up in the phone book or website. The guy's name is Mike.

MB cars are expensive to maintain well and modify. Do not go for cheapo shops.
harkgar is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaiex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,454
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C220CDI AMG// '08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by harkgar View Post
Hey Mr. Gaiex,

Let us know more about those interchangeable Mercedes Benz diesel parts with part numbers, like injectors, e.g. swapping the E400 CDi ones for our one and only E320 CDi engines. There are so many diesel engines in the E series I am sure a lot of parts are common to all.

The only thing is the E320 CDi is the second most powerful diesel engine so the only upgrades have to come from the E400 CDi parts bin.
I'm checking it... I'm upgrading to the 270cdi turbo, and have a friend with a 270 and looking for turbo and injectors, we are looking on the 320cdi ones, but the 400 or even the 420cdi look good, but we are confirming
The turbo for your car is difficult since its an V6, you can fit any turbo but you will need modifications (in my case the 270 is plug and play, who says that MB sucks in MODs )
gaiex is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Federal Heights, CO
Posts: 1,116
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by harkgar View Post
The only thing is the E320 CDi is the second most powerful diesel engine so the only upgrades have to come from the E400 CDi parts bin.
Um, the 3.2L CDI has more displacement per cylinder than the V8 so I doubt there will be any parts swapping gains there and the V6 is the same displacement pr cylinder.
240D 3.0T is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaiex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,454
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C220CDI AMG// '08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T View Post
Um, the 3.2L CDI has more displacement per cylinder than the V8 so I doubt there will be any parts swapping gains there and the V6 is the same displacement pr cylinder.
There is also the C30CDI, much better parts, but hard to find used and €€€ new!!
gaiex is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by gaiex View Post
There is also the C30CDI, much better parts, but hard to find used and €€€ new!!
Are you talking about the AMG diesel in the C? I think it was made in very limited numbers even in Europe.

The Finns seem to take a great interest in diesel tuning. I saw them on You Tube.
harkgar is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaiex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,454
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C220CDI AMG// '08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by harkgar View Post
Are you talking about the AMG diesel in the C? I think it was made in very limited numbers even in Europe.

The Finns seem to take a great interest in diesel tuning. I saw them on You Tube.
Yes I am, but not that rare in Europe, I see more C30 on the road than C32

In the Portuguese MB forum there is some members with C30CDI and only with a chiptuning they can have +300HP (230stock) and more than 700Nm... Nothing compared with the 35d from BMW (400Hp)
gaiex is offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,332
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
In North America the only mega-horsepower diesel engines are likely found in tuned trucks, with 600 pound foot levels.

Unfortunately with the small number of car diesel engines no one caters for MB diesel engines.

Personally I would not do anything more than a tuning box since fuel economy is a big reason for driving a diesel car.
harkgar is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200cdi
.
C200cdi-03

tuikku is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaiex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,454
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C220CDI AMG// '08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
.
C200cdi-03

Do you have more info about this car? what modifications where made?

I also heard about an c200cdi with 300Hp in Holland or in other country on northern Europe!!!
gaiex is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200cdi
.
It is my car.
I have tried to reach 300 about two years now.
It is not easy.

Lots of modifications.
Fuel line.
Air line.
Turbo + exhaust.
Clutch + flyweel.
Custom software.

As you can see, I am just learning english language.


I just get new, "custom made" injectors, I hope they gives enough more power.
After few days I know.

Last edited by tuikku; 04-01-2008 at 12:03 PM.
tuikku is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,384
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 720s
Originally Posted by harkgar View Post
Tuning box is the way to go with 2006 and older cars. Carlsson is one I would choose (240 bhp, 425 pound foot) for about $1,000.00 plus shipping and taxes. Check it out on the Carlsson website.

Unfortunately there are so few E320 CDis in the USA and tuning firms do not cater to such a small market, unlike the VW TDis.
Kleemann has a similar tuning box for less$ and Brabus has one for more $. They are supposed to be good for 25% more HP and 25% more torque.
ima55r2 is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
  #19  
LOB
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 270CDi
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
.
It is my car.
I have tried to reach 300 about two years now.
It is not easy.

Lots of modifications.
Fuel line.
Air line.
Turbo + exhaust.
Clutch + flyweel.
Custom software.

As you can see, I am just learning english language.


I just get new, "custom made" injectors, I hope they gives enough more power.
After few days I know.
Have you already try to make a test in a maha?

What turbo you put?
LOB is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200cdi
Originally Posted by ima55r2 View Post
Kleemann has a similar tuning box for less$ and Brabus has one for more $. They are supposed to be good for 25% more HP and 25% more torque.

Unfortunately those ”tuning-boxes” are nonsense.
To work properly, system needs to know the exact amout of spaying fuel.
That information is needed in many functions.
Boxes cheats system, so it does not know the right lewel of spray.
The whole system does not work right any more, it cannot.


The only good thing with those boxes is, that they surely increase the power.
But in “bad” ways.
Do not buy boxes, which increase the rail pressure, high pressure pump don’t stand it.
You need a real programmer there.


What is "maha" ?
I dont understand.

Turbo is garret gt2359vnt, from 320cdi.
tuikku is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 01:59 PM
  #21  
LOB
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 270CDi
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
Unfortunately those ”tuning-boxes” are nonsense.
To work properly, system needs to know the exact amout of spaying fuel.
That information is needed in many functions.
Boxes cheats system, so it does not know the right lewel of spray.
The whole system does not work right any more, it cannot.


The only good thing with those boxes is, that they surely increase the power.
But in “bad” ways.
Do not buy boxes, which increase the rail pressure, high pressure pump don’t stand it.
You need a real programmer there.


What is "maha" ?
I dont understand.

Turbo is garret gt2359vnt, from 320cdi.
Maha is a manufacturer of best dynamometers
Don't have photos of your project?
You put a bigger intercooler?
Best regards
LOB is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200cdi
.
Cooler is big.
As big as it could be.



tuikku is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Federal Heights, CO
Posts: 1,116
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Did you remove the air conditioning?

How did you reprogram the computer for the turbo?

That 2359 may be why you can't get 300hp. Maybe you should look for a 2559 or 2560 from a BMW.
240D 3.0T is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM
  #24  
LOB
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 270CDi
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
.
Cooler is big.
As big as it could be.

tuikku where you buy this intercooler and how much you pay? I am looking for one to my CDI...
If you want answer by pm...
Best regards and congratulations for you project!!
LOB is offline  
Old 04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
  #25  
LOB
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 270CDi
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T View Post
Did you remove the air conditioning?

How did you reprogram the computer for the turbo?

That 2359 may be why you can't get 300hp. Maybe you should look for a 2559 or 2560 from a BMW.
Where did you put the radiator that was fixed at the air conditioning radiator?

Maybe, the turbo that tuikku have fills more quickly but can't do high pressures!!

I will choose the 2260 to my CDI
Best regards

Last edited by LOB; 04-01-2008 at 03:39 PM.
LOB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: E320 CDi mod


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: