Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twisting in the wind

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, good points on the electronics. I agree that many electronic issues may arise. I plan to buy a warranty out to 100k because of this. I am not worried about the engine and transmission, but the electronics are another story.

Originally Posted by harkgar
I agree that the new V-6 is a good engine. I just do not like the AdBlue engineering. It is unsound because the US government made MB install an electronic nanny to disable the car.

In gasoline cars similar laws are already in place. When emissions problems arise a check engine light comes on, not an "emission problem" light as most motorists will ignore it. There are over 200 CELs in MB cars related to emission checks so the "Cleaner" the car the more problems you will have.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
Not quite. The original engine died at 195k miles but the engine from my wagon that replaced it has over 300k miles.

2010 models will. By August new models will have the tanks.
The W212 E class will have AdBlue to meet EU6 emissions, but that model will not be released in the US until calender year 2010 (along with the AMG and 4Matic) according to MB. To start we are getting 350 and 550 RWD models.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nubiru
Thanks Rob CL I am running into a real dilemma looking for a this e320. I have many years working on electrical systems of cars and relate totally to 240D 3.0T's points on future repairs and modifications...but here's the rub I can buy a bluetec with under 10K from a MB dealer 12 mi away for just under 30K mint with a warranty. I can't find a cream puff 05 or 06 anywhere close in the whole country. The CDIs are in the mid to high 30ks and these folks aren't moving on price as they are in for $$$. I am still searching and will keep this post informed. Thanks,

Nubiru

PS any leads on a car ? https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
This one looks very nice. The only one on ebay with P2, leather, and parktronic, and a few other nice items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Your eyes have deceived you. 80% of refinery production is ULSD and all of it goes to on-highway applications and other demands. The remaining 20% is for off-highway (marine, rail, genset, construction, etc). THEY are the ones that will be going ULSD in 2010.

Every single on-highway pump in the USA is pumping ULSD. The pumps with LSD stickers are only those that have not been cleaned and certified for use with ULSD. They are NOT pumping different fuel, the stations are simply being too cheap and procrastinating in getting them certified.

Only Kalifornia-spec models have it. I looked at an 09 ML320 this weekend and it was just choked with normal Bluetec.

Models with AdBlue will have this in place of the spare tire.
Sorry Bro, wrong again on both counts... But I am not going to get into a pissing match with you...

THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC...

1.) Older low sulpher diesel, if used, will ruin emissions systems with particulate filters... Mercedes has said that they will not warranty careless use of the wrong kind of diesel fuel, which will be a couple of thousand dollars to repair. USE YOUR BEST JUDGEMENT in deciding whether to look for the ULSD sticker, or if you trust using a pump with the older LSD sticker.

2.) Go for yourself and look for the AdBlue container in place of the spare tire on 2009 GL, ML and R class diesels that are sold anywhere in the US...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Sorry Bro, wrong again on both counts.
Sorry, I strongly suggest re-read my post as the information I posted is correct.

1.) Older low sulpher diesel, if used, will ruin emissions systems with particulate filters.
Good luck finding any unless you buy your fuel at a marina or use heating oil.

2.) Go for yourself and look for the AdBlue container in place of the spare tire on 2009 GL, ML and R class diesels that are sold anywhere in the US.
I have and I have seen it there. I looked at one this last Saturday when I went to the dealer to pick up some parts.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Nope... Not every station has ULSD... I have seen it with my own eyes. Especially at Flying J truck stops. ULSD is not going to be available at EVERY station in the until 2010. California however has mandated that every station sell ULSD as of 2007, so if you are in California, you don't even have to look at the pump.

I recommend that any diesel owner with a particulate filter ALWAYS look for the sticker confirming that it is ULSD until 2010... The consequences are too expensive otherwise.
I see this is somewhat of a debate. I can personally vouch for diesel vendors in metropolitan areas as well as rural from S.C. to N.J. and as far west as Indiana for dispensing ULSD.

Now, that doesn't mean that all stations have been required to sell ULSD exclusively. . . yet.

Here are some facts:

Originally Posted by http://www.globalp.com/knowledgebase/article.cfm?articleID=27
As of June 1, 2006, labels must be affixed on all diesel fuel dispenser pumps. These labels must be in block letters of no less than 24 font (bold), printed in a color contrasting with the background, and affixed on the upper 2/3 of the dispenser pump, where they will be clearly visible. The required text of the new dispenser pump labels is as follows:

Highway Fuel Pump Labels

Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (15-ppm Sulfur Maximum)

Required for use in all model year 2007 and later highway diesel vehicles and engines. Recommended for use in all diesel vehicles and engines.

Low-Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (500-ppm Sulfur Maximum)

Warning

Federal law prohibits use in model year 2007 and later highway vehicles and engines. Its use may damage these vehicles and engines.

Off-Road Pump Labels

Non-Highway Diesel Fuel (May exceed 500-ppm Sulfur)

Warning

Federal Law prohibits use in any highway vehicle or engine. Its use may damage these vehicles and engines.

Non-compliance or misrepresentation of the labeling mandate could evoke possible civil penalties of up to $32,500.00 per day per violation.

To view sample diesel pump decals, visit OPIS at www.opisnet.com/market/decalulsd.asp or the American Petroleum Institute at www.clean-diesel.org.
Originally Posted by http://www.globalp.com/knowledgebase/article.cfm?articleID=27
With ULSD being brought into the marketplace by September of this year, a very important diesel fuel pump labeling mandate will be at our doorstep sooner than the actual ULSD will be in your tanks. The new diesel pump labeling requirements will take effect on June 1, 2006 and expire on September 30, 2010, at which time all diesel fuel manufactured in the United States will be required to be at the 15-ppm maximum sulfur content.

See also: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...0cfr80_04.html

-The short version:
Until Septmeber 30, 2010, it is possible to find an off-road diesel, LSD and ULSD vendor anywhere in the U.S. Past the target date all vendors must dispense ULSD, exclusively.

This is info I dug up after about 20 minutes of searching. Feel free to look deeper if you suspect that I've mis-interpreted anything here.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Sorry, I strongly suggest re-read my post as the information I posted is correct.
Okay... I did...

Every single on-highway pump in the USA is pumping ULSD. The pumps with LSD stickers are only those that have not been cleaned and certified for use with ULSD. They are NOT pumping different fuel, the stations are simply being too cheap and procrastinating in getting them certified.

Good luck finding any unless you buy your fuel at a marina or use heating oil.
This is a screen shot from the Flying J website as of today... Now why would Flying J choose to clean and certify some of their pumps and not others?

I actually spoke with the manager of the Flying J in Ehrenberg, AZ about the fact that they have both sets of pumps... He indicated that they indeed do still sell LSD and many still buy LSD. At the time of the conversation (Summer 2008) it was even priced cheaper than ULSD.

Check it out for yourself... http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPortal...etDieselPrices
Attached Thumbnails Twisting in the wind-jfuel.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Funny, those look to be the EXACT same prices. In any case, that is false advertisement since they are really pumping ULSD. Those stations are just being too cheap to get all the pumps cleaned and certified.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Funny, those look to be the EXACT same prices. In any case, that is false advertisement since they are really pumping ULSD. Those stations are just being too cheap to get all the pumps cleaned and certified.

Hey man, I don't know if you're just trying to rouse a few people or if you honestly didn't catch my post:

Read up on the provisions set forth by the government. Stations are allowed to pump off-road and LSD until Sep. 2011.

Not only that, but they are also allowed to exchange credits for the gallons of ULSD pumped versus all other mixtures to offset fees.

I don't want in the middle of whatever you guys are really arguing about but there are more than a handful of people who could stand to benefit from factual information as set forth by legislation, rather than your own personal opinion.