Sponsored by:

Premium Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I am watching intently . Interested to see some sensible facts & debate on the forum for a change. Well done mikapen.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 300sd, 83 300dT, F350, 250 diesel & 16 ft car trailer
i mix 10-15% of reg gas in it, it gives more oomph, make sure u mix it well, i put gas in thank then put diesel in it after.
too lazy to premix in a jug.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by mikapen
Ok, let's address some of my misinformation one at a time.
Let us start.

In three months, all U.S. gasoline stations must sell Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
Here is your fallacy. You think that refineries have only now started making ULSD. In fact, they have been making it since 2006. What changed in 2010 was that stations are required to have their equipment certified to dispense ULSD. Stations have been selling ULSD since 2006, its only now that their equipment will not have the possibility of contaminating ULSD fuel systems with residual LSD fuel deposits.

Three times? All other things being equal, sour sells for roughly 80-90% of sweet crude.
That is false information. Sour sells for ~$35/bbl where sweet is over $90/bbl.

I actually have references to support what I have written with one exception. Unfortunately they are in the form of papers from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers U.K, Chevron, Conoco, Cummins and the like. Hundreds of pages.
How convenient.

Well done mikapen.
Well what done? He managed to ctrl-C a few times, well done. He has yet to understand what is being discussed let alone begin to debate with somebody that knows what they're talking about. All he has manged to do thus far is make himself look foolish for not knowing what we are talking about.

i mix 10-15% of reg gas in it, it gives more oomph, make sure u mix it well, i put gas in thank then put diesel in it after.
DO NOT put gasoline into diesel in any amount.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 01-25-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM

1993 E300
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
BP in virginia carries 47 Cetane.
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
That cannot be determined or verified as an accurate statement. There is no standard for cetane level and it varies greatly from shipment to shipment.
Many BP's in Virgina carry Amoco Premier diesel and it has a 47 minimum cetane number. There should be a sticker on the pump that states 47 cetane.

And there is a cetane standard for regular diesel - it's 40 minimum.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM

81 300sd, 83 300dT, F350, 250 diesel & 16 ft car trailer
DO NOT put gasoline into diesel in any amount.

So what so bad about it?
engine blow up right away or 10 yrs later?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,118 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Marketing scam. Only difference is more additive to increase cetane.
Fact:
Additives can have no affect on cetane index, by definition. Cetane index is set during refining and is defined by a formula that involves such things as distillation curve, API density, and other things that an additive has no effect upon. I'm not saying that some additives can't have a beneficial effect - just that raising the actual cetane is not one of them. There may be a way to test for an "effective cetane number" that may demonstrate an additive-altered cetane, but I don't know of such an industry-recognized test. [THERE IS A WAY TO TEST FOR CETANE NUMBER - SEE b4black's POST # 36.]

See http://www.petrolplaza.com/technolog...MSYzJjEwMyY%3D for a good discussion on cetane.

Last edited by mikapen; 01-30-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Clarify cetane INDEX per post #36
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
That is false information. Sour sells for ~$35/bbl where sweet is over $90/bbl.
Let's try this again. Here is a link to actual crude prices in the U.S as of Jan 27, 2011: http://www.plainsallamerican.com/_fi...ry_27_2011.pdf
As most can see, the price of sour is about 80 - 90% of sweet, running about $70 - $75/bbl. If there is somewhere that it is selling at $35, let us know and we'll all get rich through arbitrage!!!

You may be confusing sulfur content with API index (light vs heavy) - many people do.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is your fallacy. You think that refineries have only now started making ULSD. In fact, they have been making it since 2006. What changed in 2010 was that stations are required to have their equipment certified to dispense ULSD. Stations have been selling ULSD since 2006,....
OK, let's try this again. I provide a link for you to read: http://www.petrolplaza.com/news/indu...c0NCYmMQ%3D%3D
It is from an industry journal Petrolplaza, dated Sept 27, 2010. Here is a highlight of what they wrote:
"Currently, only 80 percent of highway diesel fuel made in the United States has ULSD, but the regulations will change that to 100 percent. Many gasoline retailers have started making the change. For example, the New Jersey Gasoline-C-Store-Automotive Association has found that around 800 of the 2,800 N.J. gasoline retailers already offer ULSD fuel."

According to this source, all stations have NOT been selling ULSD since 2006, as 240D has claimed multiple times. 240D, if you have information that refutes Petrolplaza, please present it.

No reference was made by the author (nor by me) about refineries, so 240D's "here's your fallacy" statement is a bit off target. I do agree that refineries began committing increasing portions of their production to ULSD in 2006.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel

Here are a couple of my original posts and responses to them - page back to see the actual responses.
Well, not exactly. There are two sides to sulfur.
Sulfur can increase acidity.... Sulfur is a lubricant, and that property is largely lost with ULSD. Again, the ATSM standards now specify a minimum level of lubricity, so fuel suppliers must have an additive package to bring that lost lubricity back up.
Followed by a series of "That is false information" from 240D
The molecular associations formed with sulfur increase lubricity. So, sulfur does increase lubricity, if only indirectly.
Whatever the case, removing sulfur reduces lubricity (and bacteria growth inhibitors), which must be restored by the producer.
Followed by a series of "That is false information" from 240D----

SO, NOW, Here are some supporting websites - read for yourself, but I will include excerpts. Decide for yourself if "that is false information." If you disagree, let's see your sources and let's have a discussion:

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/train...l_training.pdf (Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Technology - Cummins Filtration)
p.44-
"While removing sulfur contributes to lower emissions and better exhaust after-treatment life, there are some negative aspects as well. The positive aspects of sulfur include:
Effective lubricant for fuel system components
Natural poison to micro-organisms
p.47-
ULSD, due to the refining process, has lower lubricity.
• As necessary, additives to increase lubricity and inhibit corrosion are added to ULSD fuel, prior to its retail sale.
p.48-
This is the first time that ASTM has a lubricity requirement in the diesel fuel specification, which represents a key change and an important improvement to the fuel specification."
and
http://books.google.com/books?id=-F7...nation&f=false (The impact of sulphur-free diesel fuel on lubricity and contamination, by P.E Jenkins, Univ. of Colorado, Denver and M Tal, Tal-Solomon Consulting Services, Oklahoma City from the 2004 Proceedings of the 3rd IMechE Automobile Division Southern Centre Conference)

"Background (p. 32)
....To meet the new diesel fuel specifications, refineries are "forced" to use more severe hydro-cracking. Thus, low-sulphur and/or sulphur-free diesel fuel lacks the lubricity needed to protect fuel systems from excessive wear (such as fuel pumps, injectors, etc.) as well as the lubricity required to reduce the wear and over-heat of combustion chamber components.

Lubricity Impact (p. 38)
When the lower sulphur program was introduced, no questions were raised regarding the adequacy of the lubricity which was "naturally" present in the previous traditionally manufactured diesel fuel. The previous unrestricted diesel fuel manufacturing method (with higher sulphur content) resulted in providing lubricity in sufficient levels to prevent and reduce wear to the engine's fuel surface components(i.e. fuel tanks, lines, fuel pumps, injectors, valve train, cylinder liners, rings, and other combustion chamber components). This type of lubricity is believed to be a polar type of compound that absorbs itself into the alloys and forms a protective ("film"-like) coating which provide friction protection. By using more intensive hydrotreating processes (in producing lower sulphur fuel), a large portion of this polar compound is "removed" from the liquid blend components. It is believed that the sulphur present in the feedstock (prior to reaching the hydroprocessing) "binds" itself to this polar substance. Thus, removing the sulphur would also remove a substantial portion of the lubricating polar compound.
In summary, reducing the sulphur and aromatics content in diesel and jet fuel components will "automatically" reduce the lubricity quality of the finished products…."
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good info.Thankyou.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 AM

1993 E300
Fact:
Additives can have no affect on cetane, by definition. Cetane is set during refining and is defined by a formula that involves such things as distillation curve, API density, and other things that an additive has no effect upon. I'm not saying that some additives can't have a beneficial effect - just that raising the actual cetane is not one of them. There may be a way to test for an "effective cetane number" that may demonstrate an additive-altered cetane, but I don't know of such an industry-recognized test.

See http://www.petrolplaza.com/technolog...MSYzJjEwMyY%3D for a good discussion on cetane.
Your link doesn't do a good job of explaining the the significance of cetane number vs index. Cetane INDEX (CI) is an approximation of cetane number using API Gravity and distillation, and yes, cannot account for additives. Cetane NUMBER (CN) is measured on an actual test engine and does response to additives. The CN is the true cetane value that is important to a diesel engine. The CN test engine is expensive and hard to find. CI is cheap and easy, so it's more common used.

Cetane Improving additives are very effective at increasing cetane number - and that's the one you care about.

You'll find a good explantion here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number (Be sure to read the Cetane Index paragraph).

Last edited by b4black; 01-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by b4black
Your link doesn't do a good job of explaining the the significance of cetane number vs index. Cetane INDEX (CI) is an approximation of cetane number using API Gravity and distillation, and yes, cannot account for additives. Cetane NUMBER (CN) is measured on an actual test engine and does response to additives. The CN is the true cetane value that is important to a diesel engine. The CN test engine is expensive and hard to find. CI is cheap and easy, so it's more common used.
Cetane Improving additives are very effective at increasing cetane number - and that's the one you care about.
Thanks for the clarification.

So, it looks like the engine only cares about the cetane number.

Referring to the two CN test methods in your source, I suppose we should be careful about claims made by additive manufacturers, unless they specifically refer to "ASTM D-613 (ISO 5165) for the CFR engine and D-6890 for the IQT (Ignition Quality Tester)."
Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Where's 240? He spews crap on every post but has not come back to this one?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blowfish
So what so bad about it?
G@soline does not mix well with diesel and it strips lubrication from anything it contacts.

the New Jersey Gasoline-C-Store-Automotive Association has found that around 800 of the 2,800 N.J. gasoline retailers already offer ULSD fuel."
Here is your fallacy. You think that refineries have only now started making ULSD. In fact, they have been making it since 2006. What changed in 2010 was that stations are required to have their equipment certified to dispense ULSD. Stations have been selling ULSD since 2006.

Decide for yourself
Personal opinion does not alter reality.

The positive aspects of sulfur include:
•Effective lubricant for fuel system components
That is false information.

• As necessary, additives to increase lubricity and inhibit corrosion are added to ULSD fuel, prior to its retail sale.
Key point that affect the following....

(The impact of sulphur-free diesel fuel on lubricity and contamination
Key there, the USA has nothing f the sort here, rendering that section 100% invalid.

as well as the lubricity required to reduce the wear and over-heat of combustion chamber components.
Combustion chamber components do not have contact with fuel and constantly stand combustion temperatures over 2000*f.

When the lower sulphur program was introduced, no questions were raised regarding the adequacy of the lubricity
That is false information as referenced by the quote three prior.

The previous unrestricted diesel fuel manufacturing method
Diesel was restricted to 500ppm and 5000ppm prior to that.

prevent and reduce wear to the engine's fuel surface components(i.e. fuel tanks, lines, ..., valve train, cylinder liners, rings, and other combustion chamber components).
The underlined items are not affected by the fuel in any way.
The bolded items have no contact with fuel, period. They cannot possibly be affected by any change in fuel lubricity.
This section leads me to believe the article was written by somebody with little/no knowledge of diesels, therefore rendering that entire source invalid.

This type of lubricity is believed to be a polar type of compound that absorbs itself into the alloys and forms a protective ("film"-like) coating which provide friction protection.

It is believed that the sulphur present in the feedstock (prior to reaching the hydroprocessing) "binds" itself to this polar substance.
Personal opinion and beliefs do not alter reality.

mikapen, I suggest you attempt to use credible sources and check your information rather than just copy-n-pasting things that appear to fall inline with your opinion.

There should be a sticker on the pump that states 47 cetane.
Diesel pumps in the USA do not display cetane information.

Where's 240? He spews crap on every post but has not come back to this one?
This forum holds no priority, too many trolls such as yourself.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 02-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
The positive aspects of sulfur include:
•Effective lubricant for fuel system components

240 D, Could you elaborate on that. I understood that sulphur lubricated fuel pumps & their seals. With the sulphur removed lubrication was lessened so additives were necessary.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
There are many rumors circulating about the effects of sulfur being in diesel fuel or sulfur being taken out of diesel fuel. Diesel fuel without sulfur is just as good, in all respects except one, when compared with today's fuels with sulfur.

Diesel fuel, in the United States, must meet a lubricity standard. The producers adjust the lubricity before they distribute the fuel. No further additives are needed to ensure proper fuel system lubrication.

The only negative effect of taking sulfur out of fuel is that the fuel becomes more expensive, somewhat negating the inherent cost advantage of running diesel engines when compared to other fuels. As I'm certain you know, sulfur doesn't jump out of the fuel on command. It has to be removed using specialized equipment and chemical processes that add to the expense of producing the fuel.

There is an effect on diesel engines from the use of low or no sulfur fuel which we expect to be positive. The blowby gasses that normally pass through the engine crankcase will contain less or none of the chemically reactive sulfur and its compounds. This will tend to keep the engine oil cleaner during operation and allow important engine components like bushings, bearings and piston rings to live longer.

Diesel fuels containing sulfur or no sulfur each have the same specific heat, about 20,000 BTUs per pound. For that reason they give the same amounts of work for the same amount of fuel. That means the fuel economy per gallon will not be affected.

Over the years we have seen fuel economy decrease, somewhat, as diesel engine designs have been modified to meet the lower NOX limits imposed by government. This has been totally unrelated to sulfur in the fuel.

With lower sulfur fuels it is possible that some exhaust after treatment devices (catalytic converters) may be used to better effect, making it possible to further decrease harmful exhaust emissions.

However, I spoke with a friend of mine at Hess and he explained to me the following:
He said that the chemists cannot identify the specific polar compounds in diesel that "provide the lubricity in diesel." All they can say is that when sulfur content is reduced, so is lubricity.

Many diesel injection system parts are machined to such tight tolerances they will not fit together when dry so you must wet the parts with diesel fuel to get them to fit (from what I was told).

He also said that when Sweden first introduced ULSD with a 10-ppm sulfur content in 1989, there were field failures because of rapid wear on diesel fuel-injection components.

Tests conducted at that time by Infineum, showed that when ULSD without additives was used in engines, critical injection-pump parts had unacceptably high wear after 12,000 kilometers. Also, those parts were in worse shape than identical parts with 100,000 km of wear in engines where ULSD with lubricity additives had been used.

So the bottom line... I have no idea, I'm not a scientist, hopefully 240D will have something to say on my opinion and its validity.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jctevere
Diesel fuel, in the United States, must meet a lubricity standard.
One of the standards is the ASTM standard.

There is an effect on diesel engines from the use of low or no sulfur fuel which we expect to be positive. The blowby gasses that normally pass through the engine crankcase will contain less or none of the chemically reactive sulfur and its compounds. This will tend to keep the engine oil cleaner during operation and allow important engine components like bushings, bearings and piston rings to live longer.
Good point.

Diesel fuels containing sulfur or no sulfur each have the same specific heat, about 20,000 BTUs per pound. For that reason they give the same amounts of work for the same amount of fuel. That means the fuel economy per gallon will not be affected.
This varies somewhat as the aromatics are reduced (along with the sulfur). Also, although not part of your post, it appears that fuels with cetane INDEX greater than about 50 begin to lose BTU content more rapidly.

the chemists cannot identify the specific polar compounds in diesel that "provide the lubricity in diesel." All they can say is that when sulfur content is reduced, so is lubricity.
I have seen several articles agreeing with this statement. Both the inability to specifically describe the compounds, as well as the associated loss of lubricity.

He also said that when Sweden first introduced ULSD with a 10-ppm sulfur content in 1989, there were field failures because of rapid wear on diesel fuel-injection components.

Tests conducted at that time by Infineum, showed that when ULSD without additives was used in engines, critical injection-pump parts had unacceptably high wear after 12,000 kilometers. Also, those parts were in worse shape than identical parts with 100,000 km of wear in engines where ULSD with lubricity additives had been used.
Several papers are available that find increased wear with ULSD that has ineffective lubricity packages (or none).
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

1993 E300
G@soline does not mix well with diesel

Diesel pumps in the USA do not display cetane information.
OK, from you first statement, it's clear you don't know much about fuel, so I will just address your reply to my post.

Diesel pumps are not required to display cetane labels in most states, but some do require it. Virgina, the state mentioned, happens to be one that requires cetane labels. Therefore, the pump will indeed be labeled with a 47 cetane label.

And in states not requiring a label, it would be common to place one on anyway if the premium diesel does indeed have higher cetane than most.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carsy
240 D, Could you elaborate on that. I understood that sulphur lubricated fuel pumps & their seals. With the sulphur removed lubrication was lessened so additives were necessary.
Key. That is done at the refinery.

As is noted in the owner's manual of pre 90's Diesels, they require a shorter oil change interval when used with 5000ppm diesel.

OK, from my first statement, it's clear I don't know much about fuel.
That much is obvious.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM

1993 E300
That much is obvious.
Really? That is the best you can do, rearrange a quote? I'm disappointed.

Most of what you post is wrong and misleading. Misinformation is worse than no information.

How could you even begin to think that gasoline and diesel don't mix well?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 PM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq

Also incorrect. The only disadvantage was the cost of retrofitting refineries.

The cost was not as great as they would have people believe the refineries started taking the sulfur out of gasoline in the late 70's.
I can still smell the rotten egg smell from the gassers.

The Cetane booster from first hand does work.
My last car was a VW TDI and with the 50 or so mpg it was easy to see what worked and what did not.
I had spent almost $8k to get power out of the TDI and keep the mpg
and with VAG-COM software I could see it on the Labtop and at the pump.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM

6.6 LBZ Dmax
Thumbs up

BP in virginia carries 47 Cetane. I have yet to find higher, and have even poked around the tdiclub forums to see if anyone else knew of stations in my area that are higher. On a positive note, I filled up today and 47 Cetane in Charlottesville, VA was cheaper than premium!
I wish we had a premium diesel vendor in Pa where I live, al least we have a small percentage of BioDiesel blended with our fuels here.
While travelling a while ago I filled at a Amoco station that had some premier 50 Cetane diesel , I noticed an immediate, positive difference in how well the vehicle ran on the higher Cetane fuel.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM

6.6 LBZ Dmax
Originally Posted by 2slowcdi
The cost was not as great as they would have people believe the refineries started taking the sulfur out of gasoline in the late 70's.
I can still smell the rotten egg smell from the gassers.

The Cetane booster from first hand does work.
My last car was a VW TDI and with the 50 or so mpg it was easy to see what worked and what did not.
I had spent almost $8k to get power out of the TDI and keep the mpg
and with VAG-COM software I could see it on the Labtop and at the pump.
I've often wondered what the sulfur content is in US Gasoline, it sure does stink terrible to be behind a GAS vehicle when they accelerate !!
Probably like everything else going on here with politics, the Gas engine gets a pass no matter what while the Diesel is made out to be the bad guy....like with the Exposed, fraudulent, California air "research" board papers.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:48 PM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
Originally Posted by KB3MMX
I've often wondered what the sulfur content is in US Gasoline, it sure does stink terrible to be behind a GAS vehicle when they accelerate !!
Probably like everything else going on here with politics, the Gas engine gets a pass no matter what while the Diesel is made out to be the bad guy....like with the Exposed, fraudulent, California air "research" board papers.

The sulfur is gone in the smell comes from a vehicle that has something wrong with their car and the check engine light on.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM

6.6 LBZ Dmax
Question

Originally Posted by 2slowcdi
The sulfur is gone in the smell comes from a vehicle that has something wrong with their car and the check engine light on.
Check engine light on... really?

But It's like every gas engine car I have to follow up a highway on ramp , up a mountain or if they're just accelerating hard though..

What is the sulfur spec in gas? I can't believe its zero

Last edited by KB3MMX; 02-17-2011 at 09:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Premium Diesel