Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stop Start Technology. Upside/ Downside.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
New Stop Start Technology. Upside/ Downside.

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...0-0-0-0-0.html
Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Link was truncated or something, can you try again?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...0-0-0-0-0.html

Hows this.

Last edited by Carsy; 12-01-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Trying link
Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Sorry...no "stop/start" for me thanks.Too many things can go wrong particularly,IMO,in very cold and very hot weather.Of course Osama Obama & Friends just might try to mandate it here in the US and if they succeed I'll do everything I can to get around any mandate..even if it means modifying my car (legally or illegally).My current car gets about as good fuel economy as you'll find in this country for a car of its size and level of comfort.Add to that the fact that,thanks to "AdBlue",it puts out less pollution than just about any other car in its class and I can say that I'm doing my part *without* "stop/start".When Osama Obama starts riding in a Prius rather than a three ton,8MPG Chevy Suburban I'll consider "stop/start".But not before.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by listerone
Sorry...no "stop/start" for me thanks.Too many things can go wrong particularly,IMO,in very cold and very hot weather.Of course Osama Obama & Friends just might try to mandate it here in the US and if they succeed I'll do everything I can to get around any mandate..even if it means modifying my car (legally or illegally).My current car gets about as good fuel economy as you'll find in this country for a car of its size and level of comfort.Add to that the fact that,thanks to "AdBlue",it puts out less pollution than just about any other car in its class and I can say that I'm doing my part *without* "stop/start".When Osama Obama starts riding in a Prius rather than a three ton,8MPG Chevy Suburban I'll consider "stop/start".But not before.
Osama, really?... I think there are other forums you can be spouting off your craziness rather than the mb diesel board. Also, I'm pretty sure his armored SUVs/Limos are built to prevent wackos like you from getting to him if you know what I mean...

Last edited by DubVBenz; 12-01-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Right on Bro! This O' Mama is a phony alright and I am not even talking about his pinko actions. He says that he prefers Hollywood touchy feely tree hugging Japanese Priuses instead of good olde American iron blocks and AMG alloy blocks that guzzles good Texas Intermediary Crude. Yet he travels in The Beast which is really an armored diesel Suburban. Do as I say not as I do hypocrisy. If you Google Forbes Magazine online and punch in O' Mama's daddy's name (he abandoned his sons) you would find that the SOB was an alcoholic (and probably smoker like his self-righteous son) who killed a couple of people in Kenya DUI and lost both his legs. Undeterred, he got himself a disabled car and crashed into a tree, again DUI, successfully killing himself.

O' Mama's Pappa had passed some real nice genes (50%) onto his kids (of his third or fourth wife I believe). It was mandatory in his tribe.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are right Listerone. This stop start BS is tree-hugging trouble. The Asian E 250 Blue-efficiency already has this "technology" available and the dealers were at pains telling their customers to switch off this function if they want their cars to last more than 6 months. Warranty work is sketchy outside the USA. Image the line ups for warranty and negative publicity!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
Right on Bro! This O' Mama is a phony alright and I am not even talking about his pinko actions. He says that he prefers Hollywood touchy feely tree hugging Japanese Priuses instead of good olde American iron blocks and AMG alloy blocks that guzzles good Texas Intermediary Crude. Yet he travels in The Beast which is really an armored diesel Suburban. Do as I say not as I do hypocrisy. If you Google Forbes Magazine online and punch in O' Mama's daddy's name (he abandoned his sons) you would find that the SOB was an alcoholic (and probably smoker like his self-righteous son) who killed a couple of people in Kenya DUI and lost both his legs. Undeterred, he got himself a disabled car and crashed into a tree, again DUI, successfully killing himself.

O' Mama's Pappa had passed some real nice genes (50%) onto his kids (of his third or fourth wife I believe). It was mandatory in his tribe.
It is a miracle that the article was NEVER ONCE BROUGHT UP in the evening news by CNN or the New York Times. If that had been Newt Gingrich's pappa it would have been a totally different story!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Holy Moly ,

What are you blokes on ?

This is a MB forum. If I want Cr#ppy US politics I will go to another site.

No wonder your county is a basket case with blokes like you running around!!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
Osama, really?... I think there are other forums you can be spouting off your craziness rather than the mb diesel board. Also, I'm pretty sure his armored SUVs/Limos are built to prevent wackos like you from getting to him if you know what I mean...
Google "Osama Obama" and "Ted Kennedy" and see what you get.You'll get a very interesting video of the late...sainted...Ted Kennedy *and* you'll find this...from a fine "progressive" website.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=104x2941308
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Carsy
Holy Moly ,

What are you blokes on ?

This is a MB forum. If I want Cr#ppy US politics I will go to another site.

No wonder your county is a basket case with blokes like you running around!!
"Stop/start" comes straight from the environmental movement.Any discussion of *it* must feature talk of politics..certainly as it affects the US and,perhaps,Canada as well.If I'm not mistaken your government just enacted an unpopular (*very* unpopular?) "carbon tax".I think mention of that political act might be appropriate when discussing Australian petrol prices,eh?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Stop/start" comes straight from the environmental movement.Any discussion of *it* must feature talk of politics..certainly as it affects the US and,perhaps,Canada as well.If I'm not mistaken your government just enacted an unpopular (*very* unpopular?) "carbon tax".I think mention of that political act might be appropriate when discussing Australian petrol prices,eh?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C200 CDI
I've found it's a bit of a love hate thing with stop-start.

The "ECO" button becomes another thing you have to "worry" about while driving.

I find myself switching off ECO after I start the car, and only use it to turn off the engine at long-phase traffic lights (and to feel a little bit smug

With it on there are occassions my driving is influenced by it. E.g. when pulling to a stop but traffic is about to move, or when you're inching your way into traffic.

Anyway it's got this extra battery now in the boot (in the W204). Think the boot one is for the electrical accessories.

While the feature is great and when you're not thinking about it it's pretty darn seamless (starts engine again when you move foot off the brake, etc). I do wonder whether it will contribute to more wear and tear for the engine?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Actually, not all of us Yanks are looney. It is just another technology to save gas. Not a favorite of mine, but, stop/start systems have been around long before Obama, just in case anyone cares about those pesky facts. I do agree that factual legislative references may assist in illustrating a point about automotive affairs, but, a car forum is hardly the place for politics or slurs against a nation's leadership.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by harkgar
The Asian E 250 Blue-efficiency already has this "technology" available and the dealers were at pains telling their customers to switch off this function if they want their cars to last more than 6 months. Warranty work is sketchy outside the USA. Image the line ups for warranty and negative publicity!
What are the problems they are running into when they are using this feature on a regular basis? I could speculate on possible problems that would make me not use it but curious to see some actual real world issues with the systems.

I read somewhere on here that the system would not engage if your AC is one. If that is true then I have nothing to worry about because down here in Houston the AC pretty much never gets turned off all year long.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C200 CDI
AC/fans operate at a reduced capacity when engine is off
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
....but, stop/start systems have been around long before Obama, just in case anyone cares about those pesky facts.
To set the record straight "stop/start" may have been around since before Osama but it wasn't around before the advent of "Earth First"...or "Earth In The Balance".It must be acknowledged that in the US...Europe..and,perhaps,other places as well...oil in general and cars in particular *have* become political hot potatoes.Al Gore (and CARB) couldn't care less if "stop/start" saves gas.

To claim otherwise is just plain silly.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Two weeks ago in Munchen I rode in a E Class diesel taxi with this feature.
My opinion, really creepy to see the vehicle shut down and go silent at every light. Thought the engine was malfunctioning at first, till the driver hit the gas at the green light and the engine fired up and off we go.

Here is what comes to mind. We had just exited the Autobahn doing over 125MPH, decelerated and stopped at the stop light and the engine turned off then. So what is cooling the oil, water, turbo bearings etc if the engine pumps are not running to circulate same through the oil coolers, radiators etc.? Are these items now electric pumps?
Second, is this technology really worth the cost, when a modern diesel at idle for a 20 second stoplight may probably burn what a tablespoon of fuel?

Just my 2 Euros opinion.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Second, is this technology really worth the cost, when a modern diesel at idle for a 20 second stoplight may probably burn what a tablespoon of fuel?
I have no doubt that start/stop was invented solely as a discussion piece at cocktail parties held by Al Gore and others who "care deeply".

Period.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For Christ sake , Al Gore would have absolutely Sweet Fanny Adams to do with stop start technology.

Listerone your mind is in a rut. There is no political plot !!!!!

This car & feature was designed in Germany by Germans.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 AM

2015 C63S
I thought it was designed as part of many changes to meet fuel economy mandates from multiple government bodies across the globe.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
To set the record straight "stop/start" may have been around since before Osama but it wasn't around before the advent of "Earth First"...or "Earth In The Balance".It must be acknowledged that in the US...Europe..and,perhaps,other places as well...oil in general and cars in particular *have* become political hot potatoes.Al Gore (and CARB) couldn't care less if "stop/start" saves gas.

To claim otherwise is just plain silly.
You sir are obviously not a golfer. Golf carts have employed start/stop technology for 40-50 years. Again, your facts are distorted and incorrect. I am not being critical, as in todays world, folks don't like facts that contradict their opinions. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions, but, not their own facts. I respect your opinion, but, your "fact" don't jibe with reality.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Snipe656
I thought it was designed as part of many changes to meet fuel economy mandates from multiple government bodies across the globe.
You may be correct but surely MB continues to strive for efficiencies & meet what the world motorist want. With high fuel costs in Europe more fuel economy is a no brainer.

To my knowledge we have no such policy here in Australia. We just receive the benifits of more fuel efficient cars.

Surely it is a good thing to have more fuel efficient vehicles making the US less dependant on Middle East oil & creating less air pollution.

The automotive makers have at last realised that buyers want fuel efficient vehicles. The large vehicle makers here GM & Ford are having a difficult time selling their large cars. The writing has been on the wall for 20 -30 years but they have not changed their thinking . Now they want increased Govt. handouts to keep an automotive industry in the country that does not meet the consumer needs. Our high dollar is making exports expensive.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:22 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by Carsy
You may be correct but surely MB continues to strive for efficiencies & meet what the world motorist want. With high fuel costs in Europe more fuel economy is a no brainer.

To my knowledge we have no such policy here in Australia. We just receive the benifits of more fuel efficient cars.
I was thinking more along the lines of whatever the EU body is called and then of course the EPA/CARB in the states. Just those two would be enough to end up resulting in all cars sold by MBZ ended up with the same sort of provisions. I am sure the cost to implement at the point of having to develop it is not all that much money. Meaning that once forced to meet certain mpg standards and resulting in more efficient cars the benifits will go even to the markets that do not have those mpg standards. I do think it was more "forced" too since after all as someone pointed out the idea of start/stop has been around for decades but just now we are seeing it. One could argue to that the idea of DI engines has been around a very long time but just now seeing it in a lot of engines.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I respect your opinion, but, your "fact" don't jibe with reality.
OK,here's some fun....let's get a bill through Congress outlawing "start/stop" on all motor vehicles sold (or operated) in the United States.If,within a week after its enactment,Al Gore has a fatal stroke and the members of the California Air Resources Board demand that California secede from the Union,you'll know that I'm correct.

Wanna give it a try????? I'm on the phone with the three clowns that represent me in DC as I type.

Last edited by listerone; 01-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Stop Start Technology. Upside/ Downside.