Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 ML350 BlueTech Engine Siezed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
I've updated my file in my own thread, including a copy of a Demand Letter I sent to MBUSA on May 15th, 2015 to which I've received no response or assistance from MBUSA as of today, June 8th. Please see details here : https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html
Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Time to talk with a lawyer.
No it's not. Unless the dispute could be made into a class action, the owner would lose as soon as he hired a lawyer. Legal fees and other expenses (such as for an expert witness) would would in about a week (no joke) exceed the amount he could ever hope to recover.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
Depends on the lawyer, and the county you are in.

County Court:
It's not unreasonable to expect that one could litigate a case like this for $20k-40k.

If you had a GOOD case, it is not unreasonable to expect that you would be awarded attorneys fees.

Finally, it is not unusual for litigation to prompt a compromise and settlement.

My suggestion? Look for a small-ish law firm that specializes in the local county's courts.

Small Claims Court (yes, seriously):
Small claims limits have increased dramatically. Many states have limits that are $10k+.

Legal representation is generally available for not a lot of money, and the court will tend to award attorneys fees and court costs.

If the company is insisting that this is related to a too-long service intervals, and there is a documented history of the correct service interval, this discrepancy and error on the part of the company will put them at a disadvantage at court.

While it would be MORE expensive for a dealer to replace the engine (almost certainly), it is virtually certain that you could get an indy to put in a remanufactured engine for less (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151593061676?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.)

My guess is you could do it for $9-10k.

Settlement:
Quite frankly, if you've exhausted normal patterns of negotiation, filing litigation is a great way to prompt a fair settlement negotiation. Court/attorneys cost money, and it is generally more expensive to use corporate attorneys. Even if your case is mediocre (and I'd hope you'd only file with a good case!), it is likely that a corporation will offer some settlement just to make you go away.

I don't say this with any particular ire for MB; often times, litigation is the best way to force communication and negotiation with (and between) companies. Usually, most companies (including MB) will have complaints go to the right department, and after investigation, they will take action to solve any issues they are responsible for. Occasionally, things go wrong, and issues will go unresolved. In that case, starting litigation is an excellent tactic to bring attention, as long as you have truly been wronged.

Originally Posted by Dog hauler
No it's not. Unless the dispute could be made into a class action, the owner would lose as soon as he hired a lawyer. Legal fees and other expenses (such as for an expert witness) would would in about a week (no joke) exceed the amount he could ever hope to recover.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by samiran
Depends on the lawyer, and the county you are in.

County Court:
It's not unreasonable to expect that one could litigate a case like this for $20k-40k.

If you had a GOOD case, it is not unreasonable to expect that you would be awarded attorneys fees.

Finally, it is not unusual for litigation to prompt a compromise and settlement.

My suggestion? Look for a small-ish law firm that specializes in the local county's courts.

Small Claims Court (yes, seriously):
Small claims limits have increased dramatically. Many states have limits that are $10k+.

Legal representation is generally available for not a lot of money, and the court will tend to award attorneys fees and court costs.

If the company is insisting that this is related to a too-long service intervals, and there is a documented history of the correct service interval, this discrepancy and error on the part of the company will put them at a disadvantage at court.

While it would be MORE expensive for a dealer to replace the engine (almost certainly), it is virtually certain that you could get an indy to put in a remanufactured engine for less (these guys have a good reputation.)

My guess is you could do it for $9-10k.

Settlement:
Quite frankly, if you've exhausted normal patterns of negotiation, filing litigation is a great way to prompt a fair settlement negotiation. Court/attorneys cost money, and it is generally more expensive to use corporate attorneys. Even if your case is mediocre (and I'd hope you'd only file with a good case!), it is likely that a corporation will offer some settlement just to make you go away.

I don't say this with any particular ire for MB; often times, litigation is the best way to force communication and negotiation with (and between) companies. Usually, most companies (including MB) will have complaints go to the right department, and after investigation, they will take action to solve any issues they are responsible for. Occasionally, things go wrong, and issues will go unresolved. In that case, starting litigation is an excellent tactic to bring attention, as long as you have truly been wronged.
Yipes. Are you a lawyer? If so, have you looked at any of your fee bills lately? If you're not a lawyer, have you at least played one on TV or slept at a Holiday Inn last night? I've been on both ends of attorney fee bills and if you think there is any way for this fellow to come out ahead by way of litigation, that tells me you've neither paid many legal bills nor sent any out.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty pretty involved with my (small) companies litigation. I definitely see the bills!

In some fashion, I (my company) have been involved in litigation for the past 7 years. I've also got a few close family members that are attorneys. I've seen everything from blue-chip $800+ /hr types, to the flat-rate types.

This is not the type of case where you want to work with a big firm with 100s of attorneys, but there are people who will take this case for a relatively low cost, especially if most of that is preparing some small claims filings and a single appearance.

One of my family members actually specializes in local-establishment litigation, a sort of "family" attorney, and it is my understanding that he regularly is in battles over amounts between $1k and $60k.

Anyways, with several grains of salt, IMHO, its not unreasonable to try and file a suit in small claims, and recovery in small claims is generally quick, and includes attorneys fees. People s

Originally Posted by Dog hauler
Yipes. Are you a lawyer? If so, have you looked at any of your fee bills lately? If you're not a lawyer, have you at least played one on TV or slept at a Holiday Inn last night? I've been on both ends of attorney fee bills and if you think there is any way for this fellow to come out ahead by way of litigation, that tells me you've neither paid many legal bills nor sent any out.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gl 350 Bluetec
Bluetec engine Locks Up!!

I own a 2011 GL 350 Bluetec with 137K miles on it.
Engine seized and is Gone.
the Mercedes Bluetec Diesel engine is 100% a Lemon.

just wait till all the Sprinter Vans Start Locking up....
its a matter of time
i hope Mercedes Pays for their lies.

the Mercedes Bluetec Diesel engine is Horrible Design.
It Recirculates Exhaust gases into Engine oil causing Sludge and eventually Seizure.

NEVER buy a Mercedes Bluetec Diesel engine unless you want to lose your MONEY and Sanity.

i lost 19000 dollars on a well maintainee SUV.
mercedes Answer as can be seen is Blame the owners of their cars instead of the HORRIBLE engineers they have!!!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
Engineers nowadays just sit at a computer. They can draw and do things nice on computers. They know very little about engines and how they work. Just kids that know how to play computer games, and it won't be getting any better. No more old guys with dirty hands anymore.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by Mikemd
I own a 2011 GL 350 Bluetec with 137K miles on it.
Engine seized and is Gone.
the Mercedes Bluetec Diesel engine is 100% a Lemon.

just wait till all the Sprinter Vans Start Locking up....
its a matter of time
i hope Mercedes Pays for their lies.

the Mercedes Bluetec Diesel engine is Horrible Design.
It Recirculates Exhaust gases into Engine oil causing Sludge and eventually Seizure.

NEVER buy a Mercedes Bluetec Diesel engine unless you want to lose your MONEY and Sanity.

i lost 19000 dollars on a well maintainee SUV.
mercedes Answer as can be seen is Blame the owners of their cars instead of the HORRIBLE engineers they have!!!
This sort of thing is why when I bought my Mercedes in 2014, I bought an extended warranty. I never buy extended warranties and figure I'll just write the check if a major repair is needed. But the complexity (read: expensive sh*t that can go wrong in hugely expensive ways) and spotty reliability record of MBs caused me to buy one for my 2014 GL350 and I'm so very glad I did. Although my motor hasn't seized on me, the car is in the shop on a pretty regular basis, so much so that the front desk clerk knows my name as soon as she sees me. And for expensive stuff in some instances. I think I paid about $2700 for 7 year/100k mile extended warranty and I've received that back in multiples for covered repair bills. That said, the car's never stranded me and the dealer is pleasant and easy to deal with so it could be worse.

I'm coming up on 80k miles and plan to trade it in around 90k or so. There is no way on earth I'll keep the car beyond the point where I begin to pay for repairs...the motor will probably seize at 101k miles on top of all the other pricey little malfunctions. (There is no indication of motor issues and I follow the maintenance schedule at the dealer to the letter so there can be no issue with a warranty denial on the basis I didn't properly maintain the car. Actually, having the motor seize under warranty wouldn't be all that bad except for the downtime...I'd end up with a new motor which should increase the value of the car.)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gl 350 Bluetec
Bluetec Engine is 100% a LEMON!!!

Hi Doghauler

you are doing what you can....however it is SAD and OUTRAGEOUS that a car needs so much Repairs that cost almost 65k brand new.

to worry about Engine seizure even after following maintenance and using synthetic oil is UNBELIEVABLE.

JUST look up Youtube mercedes bluetec engine seizure or rebuild....there is a video of 2 engine rebuilders replacing a bluetec engine on a GL350. At middle of video there is removal of Engine and it shows the Caked on Sludge like Cement. It is Schocking. Look it up.

i will try post link if anyone wants it. It's on youtube. Just search the keywords bluetec seizure or sludge.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html