Injector pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C270 CDI + 2003 S320 CDI
Injector pump

Hi Guys,

My 2002 C270CDI's injector pump is leaking. It looks like it is leaking from where the pump goes into the engine (between engine and pump). I also get the 'El. Power Control' warning message and the engine won't start. May these problems be related? (I'm hoping that the EPC picked up a low rail pressure caused by the leaking injector pump.)

I also can't find info on how the internals of the pump works. I would like to know if diesel has now leaked into or mixed with the engine oil?
I ask this because from what I can see, the pump is leaking where the shaft goes into the engine. There is an o-ring on the outside of the shaft - I presume to stop engine oil from leaking out between the engine and pump. I noticed also that the pump does not have a gaskit where it is mounted onto the engine - is this normal?

The Merc leak kit only has seals for the 3 pistons and not the crank/shaft of the injector pump. Bosh service centre South Africa does not sell spare parts so I will have to have them recondition the pump for me. Has anyone recon'd a pump before? How difficult is it and where did you get the seals from (hydraulic shop might have the right o-rings???????).

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,061 Likes on 981 Posts
1999 E300TD
As you know the quickest and surest way to get the parts defined is use what ever free access you can get to the MB EPC.

PS: Bosch in Italy sells all sorts of rebuilt MB injector pumps!!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by GarySA
Hi Guys,

My 2002 C270CDI's injector pump is leaking. It looks like it is leaking from where the pump goes into the engine (between engine and pump). I also get the 'El. Power Control' warning message and the engine won't start. May these problems be related? (I'm hoping that the EPC picked up a low rail pressure caused by the leaking injector pump.)

I also can't find info on how the internals of the pump works. I would like to know if diesel has now leaked into or mixed with the engine oil?
I ask this because from what I can see, the pump is leaking where the shaft goes into the engine. There is an o-ring on the outside of the shaft - I presume to stop engine oil from leaking out between the engine and pump. I noticed also that the pump does not have a gaskit where it is mounted onto the engine - is this normal?

The Merc leak kit only has seals for the 3 pistons and not the crank/shaft of the injector pump. Bosh service centre South Africa does not sell spare parts so I will have to have them recondition the pump for me. Has anyone recon'd a pump before? How difficult is it and where did you get the seals from (hydraulic shop might have the right o-rings???????).

I have had a 4 cyl Peugeot Bosch diesel fuel pump seals replaced in Australia for about A$1500 at a diesel repair shop.This may give you an indication.

If you keep a close eye on your oil level in your sump may also give to an indication whether there is fuel ingress. Best to measure when cold & always on the same level for accuracy.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did not know about an electronic parts catalogue, so thanks for telling me about it.

Unfortunately I can't measure the oil qty, as my car does not have a dip stick. I'll give it a service soon enough and should be able to tell then.

The reason I wanted to know if anyone had done their injector pump themselves is because I would like to learn a little more about my car every time I need to fix something. Hence, I like doing it myself.

I took the pump in to be overhauled at a BOSCH service station a couple of days ago. The mechanic there told me that even he does not bother doing it himself. It invariably starts leaking a couple of days after putting it back on the car. He sends it off to have it overhauled and then tested on a test bench to check that it is producing the right pressure and there are no leaks. It cost me $360.

I should get it back today and will let you know if it was successful.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Great news----360 bucks that is a very good price even at the end of the world.

Regarding your engine lubricating oil----we all have "dip sticks" to measure the oil.

I think you are talking about the transmission, and there you are corect---there is no dip stick---you need a tool from e bay to check the transmission fluid. Good Luck!!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Hi Plutoe,

MB decided to go with the electronic oil measurement system with the C270CDI. Hence, no dip stick. If i'm not mistaken( i need to check my particular model), there is a pipe for it next to the transmission pipe and I'll need to buy a dip stick for that- similar to the tool you mentioned for the ATF. Nothing comes up on e-bay. MB do sell a generic dip stick but it is quite pricy. I'll change the oil, just in case.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Wada bummer, you are correct the 647.961 has the dip stick tube and plug, but no dipstick---------it's what you don't know that kills you!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by GarySA
Hi Guys,

You pay too much for what seems to be leaking seal between the engine and the pump and would cost you no more than 10$ to fix, sorry I did not read your post earlier. Part #for the seal ring acting as a gasket is A 012 997 07 45. Do not worry about fuel getting into engine oil this is impossible because fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel, thus no contact between oil and fuel. Finally if you want to educate yourself how HPFP works look at the attached PDF file.
Attached Thumbnails Injector pump-capture.jpg   Injector pump-capture1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (539.5 KB, 308 views)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
very nice job!!