Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a TDC Powerbox for GL320 CDI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
Anyone use a TDC Powerbox for GL320 CDI?

I picked up a TDC Powerboxe (German Made) on Amazon for $149.00, claims a torque increase to 450 ft/lbs up from 398 ft/lbs., a 50 hp increase and a 1.5 - 2.5 mpg increase. Installation instructions were to plug it in to the Common Rail (CR) sensor. There were no pics included with the instructions for my V6, all the pics showed in-line engines. Anyone ever install one of these? Or can someone tell me where this sensor is located on the GL320 CDI? Would like to hear of others experiences with this unit. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Boy did you get snookered---there are loads of common rail sensors---why not discuss this with the seller???
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 320GLCDI2008
I picked up a TDC Powerboxe (German Made) on Amazon for $149.00, claims a torque increase to 450 ft/lbs up from 398 ft/lbs., a 50 hp increase and a 1.5 - 2.5 mpg increase. Installation instructions were to plug it in to the Common Rail (CR) sensor. There were no pics included with the instructions for my V6, all the pics showed in-line engines. Anyone ever install one of these? Or can someone tell me where this sensor is located on the GL320 CDI? Would like to hear of others experiences with this unit. Thanks in advance!
If your engine is anything like the E320 Bluetec engine and these instructions apply to that engine only and using a KD-Box, your layout may be different; instructions may not apply to your specific layout but may serve as a rough guide.

: Under the hood, passenger side, the common rail plug (in the V6 Bluetec engine on the E320) is towards the rear to the left of the turbo. The plug and cable are held in place with a black cable tie (or two). After very carefully cutting off the cable ties (delicate process) the plug can be removed by pressing on the underside of the plug, I use very long nose pliers to press the plug (top and bottom) and it comes out easily. The KD-Box plugs in-between and I can only assume your gadget is similar.

My story:
Though I still have the KD-Box installed, I actually bought a completely seperate matching ECU (took some time to locate one), had it virginized (a term used by the tuner) and will soon have MB program it like my OEM ECU (more $$$). I would then have two identically programmed ECUs. The bought ECU will be sent to the tuner for reprogramming for power and torque etc. My safety is my original ECU remains intact with original programming; any screwups with programming the second ECU and I can reinstall the original ECU back in the car in minutes. Be aware this is a very expensive $$$ and crazy way to tune a car

By the way my goal is even more power and torque and not to get more mpg. I can live with it if something blows up but after 5 years the KD-Box has not caused any concern or malfunction. ECU reprogramming results may be another story.

Last edited by pinebaron; 01-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by pinebaron
had it virginized (a term used by the tuner) and will soon have MB program it like my OEM ECU (more $$$).
Hope they will do it for you, which I doubt (you may have to provide documentation about ECU origin and so on) since they have the TRP policy in place. It is easy to remap the ECU software, but is POA to change the ECU by itself, good luck on that, unless you buy it from MB.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...edDocId=218692
Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
I was able to reach a tech rep from the manufacturer, and have successfully installed the TDC Powerbox. With hood up, facing the engine it installs on the passenger side fuel rail to the left of the turbo. I was able to use a long flat tip screw driver to carefully release the clip holding the wiring harness connector on to the fuel rail. Then it was a matter of plugging it in and finding a suitable location to attach the powerbox to. I noted a 3mpg improvement in city driving and 1 mpg increase in highway driving as well as noticeably improved acceleration. I kept the powerbox set at it's factory setting, although you can change it by turning a small screw on the side of the box. So far I am very happy with the unit and would recommend it. It's German made and comes with a 3 year warranty. I would say well worth the $149.00, good bang for your buck.

Thanks for the responses and tips!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
If your engine is anything like the E320 Bluetec engine and these instructions apply to that engine only and using a KD-Box, your layout may be different; instructions may not apply to your specific layout but may serve as a rough guide.

: Under the hood, passenger side, the common rail plug (in the V6 Bluetec engine on the E320) is towards the rear to the left of the turbo. The plug and cable are held in place with a black cable tie (or two). After very carefully cutting off the cable ties (delicate process) the plug can be removed by pressing on the underside of the plug, I use very long nose pliers to press the plug (top and bottom) and it comes out easily. The KD-Box plugs in-between and I can only assume your gadget is similar.

My story:
Though I still have the KD-Box installed, I actually bought a completely seperate matching ECU (took some time to locate one), had it virginized (a term used by the tuner) and will soon have MB program it like my OEM ECU (more $$$). I would then have two identically programmed ECUs. The bought ECU will be sent to the tuner for reprogramming for power and torque etc. My safety is my original ECU remains intact with original programming; any screwups with programming the second ECU and I can reinstall the original ECU back in the car in minutes. Be aware this is a very expensive $$$ and crazy way to tune a car

By the way my goal is even more power and torque and not to get more mpg. I can live with it if something blows up but after 5 years the KD-Box has not caused any concern or malfunction. ECU reprogramming results may be another story.
KD-Box is a rebranded first gen diesel power box which only changes common rail duration. If you buy directly from Diesel Power, you'll get their "dual channel", which also modifies boost, for the same price as kleeman charges for the older, crappier box.

Of course, after having owned both, I still say... buy a 335D or other 6 cylinder turbo diesel if you want power, our mercs were awesome when this engine was introduced in 2006, but are severely lacking when compared to modern offerings.

Given that my MPG while driving aggressively has ranged from 23-29 mpg per tank (depending on city or highway driving) and never approached what other members bragged about, I realized that I might as well buy a turbo V8, suffer the few extra mpg drop and have twice the power.

I expected to get low thirties average on a tank with this car, and you can, if you drive like a grandma, but if you use the hell out of the torque, expect to get worse fuel mileage than a brand new focus ST..
Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM

06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
KD-Box is a rebranded first gen diesel power box which only changes common rail duration.

it lowers the reading from the fuel pressure sensor, thus higher pressure due to late pressure control valve opening and more fuel passing through quantity control valve - final result increased fuel rail pressure, thus more fuel sprayed w/same injection duration.

buy a 335D or other 6 cylinder turbo diesel if you want power, our mercs were awesome when this engine was introduced in 2006, but are severely lacking when compared to modern offerings.

Why would you want smaller car known for his notorious engine problems, which are due in my opinion largely to the aggressive engine tuning when trying to meet EPA emission requirements. On other hand AUDI has same HP for USA market with less torque.
Most of 335D owners have spend months driving loaners because their cars need engine head replacement or injectors or intake manifold.

Given that my MPG while driving aggressively has ranged from 23-29 mpg per tank (depending on city or highway driving) and never approached what other members bragged about, I realized that I might as well buy a turbo V8, suffer the few extra mpg drop and have twice the power.

You won't have twice the power unless you get AMG model and still less torque.

I expected to get low thirties average on a tank with this car, and you can, if you drive like a grandma, but if you use the hell out of the torque, expect to get worse fuel mileage than a brand new focus ST..

You can't compare w211 with ford Focus simply because each of them is in different class. Why you do not compare CLA AMG w/Focus.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by isstay
Hope they will do it for you, which I doubt (you may have to provide documentation about ECU origin and so on) since they have the TRP policy in place. It is easy to remap the ECU software, but is POA to change the ECU by itself, good luck on that, unless you buy it from MB.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...edDocId=218692
I'm aware. I'll find someone to do it; usually do. By the way I have the ECU origin documentation, the vehicle it came off from was scrapped.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 PM

I'm aware. I'll find someone to do it; usually do. By the way I have the ECU origin documentation, the vehicle it came off from was scrapped.
MB won't let you use it no matter what, they want you to buy a new one from them.