Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Intake Flaps

Old 05-18-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
I cut my round plate tonight to weld into the up pipe after removing the erg intake Venturi restriction, will need to surface plate both faces after weld up, it makes a nice location for one of two water methanol nozzles, just before actual entry into manifold. All EGR cooler bs will be removed at same time manifold is replaced, adding a couple more optional water/meth ports pre and post compressor, will only use the pre turbo spigot on rare occasions to clean compressor wheel and housing of all built up oil residue in that area and in the currently stock charge cooler. Adding case vent catch tank to replace my sort of bs current setup. After walnut she'll blasting intake ports and adding my cleaned and ported new euro truck OM648 non flapper intake I want things to stay as clean as it humanly possible.

Keeping this car a bit, I'm a run to failure sort of high mileage driver so hopefully I'll get 400-500,000 miles total out of motor. I guess I hate car payments that much indeed. Lemme see if I can grab a couple pics I took of the up pipe. Oh, I'm killing the intake post turbo resonator and the kidney resonator on the cooler side post Intercooler pipe, that port will also be welded up and plumbed for the primary water injection nozzle upstream of IAT and pressure sensor.

Anybody know where I can get a much louder 6/8/10 blade compressor turbine, cnc like Precision turbo does preferred. I like my current boost level fine, I'm an airplane junkie though so getting turbo as close to sound of Pratt and Whitney PT6 on spool up as possible is just a personal edification project for when turbo eventually shows some sign of wear, no worries, turbine housing entry and snail will get ported and polished at that time along with new pre turbo boost piping, de-screening of MAF etc. if I could get the OM648 turbo to sound like turbo in my 03/04 Ford 6.0 I'd be one very happy camper.

Nice to see others share the sickness.

The up pipe as removed from the new/used OM648 sprinter manifold:

Here it is pre weld up...just to give a small idea of how restrictive this stupid EGR Venturi actually is!

Last edited by Micah / AF1 Rac; 05-18-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI 150K miles and counting
Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Rac
I cut my round plate tonight to weld into the up pipe after removing the erg intake Venturi restriction, will need to surface plate both faces after weld up, it makes a nice location for one of two water methanol nozzles, just before actual entry into manifold. All EGR cooler bs will be removed at same time manifold is replaced, adding a couple more optional water/meth ports pre and post compressor, will only use the pre turbo spigot on rare occasions to clean compressor wheel and housing of all built up oil residue in that area and in the currently stock charge cooler. Adding case vent catch tank to replace my sort of bs current setup. After walnut she'll blasting intake ports and adding my cleaned and ported new euro truck OM648 non flapper intake I want things to stay as clean as it humanly possible.

Keeping this car a bit, I'm a run to failure sort of high mileage driver so hopefully I'll get 400-500,000 miles total out of motor. I guess I hate car payments that much indeed. Lemme see if I can grab a couple pics I took of the up pipe. Oh, I'm killing the intake post turbo resonator and the kidney resonator on the cooler side post Intercooler pipe, that port will also be welded up and plumbed for the primary water injection nozzle upstream of IAT and pressure sensor.

Anybody know where I can get a much louder 6/8/10 blade compressor turbine, cnc like Precision turbo does preferred. I like my current boost level fine, I'm an airplane junkie though so getting turbo as close to sound of Pratt and Whitney PT6 on spool up as possible is just a personal edification project for when turbo eventually shows some sign of wear, no worries, turbine housing entry and snail will get ported and polished at that time along with new pre turbo boost piping, de-screening of MAF etc. if I could get the OM648 turbo to sound like turbo in my 03/04 Ford 6.0 I'd be one very happy camper.

Nice to see others share the sickness.

The up pipe as removed from the new/used OM648 sprinter manifold:

Here it is pre weld up...just to give a small idea of how restrictive this stupid EGR Venturi actually is!

That is just awesome! Can't wait to see how everything turns out.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E320 CDI
Originally Posted by isstay
Flaps should help for cleaner burn because they swirl the air into pistons cup at low rpm.
I purchased intake w/o flaps from EU and if I remember correctly it cost me less than 150$ and the mail man delivered it to my garage. Just and heads up, if buy one ask them to ship it w/regular mail to avoid customs charges (have to pay 25$ to get my turbo released because was shipped via Fedex).
Any future plans for intercooler upgrade?
Happen to have a part # for the EU intake manifold ?
Old 02-01-2020, 01:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
This is a stubborn rumor...

In Europe we DO HAVE intake flaps just like in US... then again, true, some companies here do manifold w/o flaps and sell them. So there is NO special part number for manifold without flaps, you need to search a source who sell those 'illegal' parts.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:33 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by mersum1es

In Europe we DO HAVE intake flaps just like in US... then again, true, some companies here do manifold w/o flaps and sell them. So there is NO special part number for manifold without flaps, you need to search a source who sell those 'illegal' parts.
Good to know . New to Mercedes Diesel . Been into Duramax Diesels for almost 20 years . If anything I'll just tig it up

Thanks for the info
Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 PM

E320 CDI

just an update bought an intake manifold that does not have these from the UK.
The following users liked this post:
IBelieve (02-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55 AMG

What a load of crap! Of course there are OEM manifolds without flaps. Factory OEM parts! made by pierburg for om613 and om648 engines. MB part number 6130900737 and 6480900037 7.00201.00 without flaps. There were cars with or without flaps in Europe.
The following users liked this post:
DuhStig (11-22-2021)
Old 04-15-2020, 01:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
I stand corrected, I recently found out some models have had manifold without flaps.

But Part numer you gave shows in EPC that it is available in North America also. So part number alone (That is exactly same part numer I had in mine W211 and that car HAD flaps) is not enough, you need extra designation for getting it without flaps.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:59 AM

E320 CDI
I stand corrected, I recently found out some models have had manifold without flaps.

But Part numer you gave shows in EPC that it is available in North America also. So part number alone (That is exactly same part numer I had in mine W211 and that car HAD flaps) is not enough, you need extra designation for getting it without flaps.
I've gotten a few from this guy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163681587630