Sponsored by:

1996 Mercedes Benz E300 Diesel Leak??? HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Mercedes Benz E300 Diesel
Exclamation 1996 Mercedes Benz E300 Diesel Leak??? HELP

I have a '96 Mercedes Benz E300 Diesel with about 243,000 miles. About a week ago it started raining alot and I noticed that something was leaking from my car since I noticed the rainbow liquid coming from underneath... It looked like it was leaking ALOT of whatever the liquid is. I took a look underneath the car as much as I could and saw where the dripping was coming from, however I have no clue what it is, that I see the liquid is accumulating and dripping from, or wether or not that is where it is actually coming from. I smelled the liquid and I could not figure it out but I think it may be diesel. Can anybody help me figure this out? Thanks. PS I dont have the money to bring the car to a mechanic at this very moment, which is why I am posting on here. Can somebody also tell me if this is a serious issue? Thanks!

Link to photos http://imgur.com/a/5Ybbw
Old 01-08-2016, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by cbuch11
I have a '96 Mercedes Benz E300 Diesel with about 243,000 miles. About a week ago it started raining alot and I noticed that something was leaking from my car since I noticed the rainbow liquid coming from underneath... It looked like it was leaking ALOT of whatever the liquid is. I took a look underneath the car as much as I could and saw where the dripping was coming from, however I have no clue what it is, that I see the liquid is accumulating and dripping from, or wether or not that is where it is actually coming from. I smelled the liquid and I could not figure it out but I think it may be diesel. Can anybody help me figure this out? Thanks. PS I dont have the money to bring the car to a mechanic at this very moment, which is why I am posting on here. Can somebody also tell me if this is a serious issue? Thanks!

The fuel leak could be a issue for other road users as it will make wet roads slippery.

It is also a fire hazard for yourself depending on what it contacts.

I suggest you use some degreaser then hose down the engine , being careful not to wet electrical components.

Alternatively wipe down the affected area with rags.

Start the motor & with a good torch look for the leak with a dry rag in hand.

It could be an easy cheap fix or an expensive one.

Let us know how you go.

Last edited by Carsy; 01-08-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:45 PM

Okay, what is the best way to check for the leak once i have it cleaned off? Should i start the car and wait to see if I can see liquid coming out somewhere?
Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, what is the best way to check for the leak once i have it cleaned off? Should i start the car and wait to see if I can see liquid coming out somewhere?
What are you on ?
Old 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy
What are you on ?
Sorry i am at work abd just read that but missed that part. By torch im guessing you mean flashlight? Sorry, i dont work on cars. Ever really
Old 01-08-2016, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes , flashlight , a new one for the North American vocab.:0

Start the engine & with a bright light & soft rag try to find where it is leaking.

Wipe the leaking area to be sure it is coming from that point.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy
Yes , flashlight , a new one for the North American vocab.:0

Start the engine & with a bright light & soft rag try to find where it is leaking.

Wipe the leaking area to be sure it is coming from that point.
Okay I found the leak, Ill upload a picture of it because it doesnt look to me like it is coming from any of the lines. I also just want to replace the lines regardless... Do any of you know of any instructions I can look at to find out how. let me know what i should do next if you can figure out from where the leak is coming... Thanks By the way, I am looking and taking photos of this from underneath the car. I cannot reach or see this area that is leaking from the top down.

Photo: http://imgur.com/mh8QMvq
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not know your engine so cannot help with specifics. Your MB book may have a diagram of your engine bay layout.It may help in the diagnosis.

Under the circumstances it maybe a good plan to visit a good ,reliable & tame diesel mechanic & obtain some advice & a quote for repair without having to spend up straight away. He should be able to see the problem straight away.

Good luck & keep us informed .
Old 01-09-2016, 01:21 PM

1996 E300D W210
Fuel Leak

We are in similar situation vehicle and condition wise? Sorry I have not posted before now.

Have 218k on 96 E300 Diesel OM606 naturally aspirated and we love it.

We also have fuel leak(s) and other issues that need correction. Just placed order with Pelican Parts for every seal, gasket and fuel line I could identify for my engine. Cost me a little over 100 for all. Not counting Glow Plug kit I picked up from Kent Bergsma https://mercedessource.com/store/199...reamer-special

Going in deep next week! Replacing Glow Plugs is what I am really worried about. Wish me luck! Will let you know how it works out.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
From the photo it is very difficult to determine the leak location----zoom out and use some of the tools to circle\color bla bla the location!!