Sponsored by:

Egr/dpf delete ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML320 CDI W164
Originally Posted by Babukb2
weird, from that article it does state that approximately for 15 minutes after you do the reset you should drive normal as that is the "learning" period. seems like yours shifts fine for the first little bit and then goes back to not shifting well, might be a computer problem and maybe happened due to the tune/delete.
if this started right after you had your delete/tune done, i would definitely be going back to whomever did the delete/tune
Yeah, I think so too, but I will probably find someone else to re-flash the software and see if the problem goes away.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:27 AM

2012 Ml350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Babukb2
there is absolutely no black smoke coming out on mine after the work
while the engine is still not at operating temp i do however once in a while see white/grey exhaust smoke, nothing abnormal usually, i see plenty of gasoline vehicles on the road emitting just as much if not more exhaust. sometimes though i have seen quite a bit of exhuast coming out of mine, but this is usually just when i start driving on a cold morning.

there is however a stinky smell on mine. peter says his doesn't smell, so im thinking it may be because mine is running richer due to the tune. or maybe something else, his work was done by leaving one of the original cans and taking out the other, while my shop took out both and then installed the buzzken pipe with another doc cat. i contacted buzzken to get more info and he told me that unfortunately that's how Mercedes are and they are known to be stinkier than other diesels (maybe others have experience with deleted mercedes and other deleted diesel cars like VW and could confirm/deny the claim). What buzzken also told me though was different than some of the info i found on a parts breakdown and what some people on this forum thought of my removed parts. i posted pics and someone identified the first smaller can as the dpf and the other larger can as the cat, when i talked to buzzken he told me the first smaller can is technically a combination doc cat and dpf while the second larger can is a scr cat. he also said that the scr cat must be removed if the doc cat/dpf is removed. So we have some different info on the different parts. If buzzken is right then peter may have to keep an eye on things or he may still run into some issues of something getting clogged.

while i am still hoping to find a solution to the stinkiness. it's only noticeable when at a stand still, and i think only while the engine is still getting up to operating temp, although i havent been able to validate this because i don't drive the car enough.
ive recently been looking into fuel fragrances to see if that would be a viable option. summer is coming and driving with windows down would be nice and i dont want to have to wait to get the car fully up to operating temp to roll my windows down. in stop and go traffic that could take 15-20 mins.

although i agree with peter and hope that doing what i did will provide longer trouble free driving and be better long term, i would definitely not do it unless i had to. my adblue heater CEL was initially intermittent, and i just kept clearing it and driving around. i think i drove well over a month from the time the CEL initially popped up. eventually it got to a point where even when i cleared it it would come back within the first drive. If that was the first issue i had i probably wouldve had it fixed, but earlier in the year i actually had replaced 2 nox sensors due to another CEL, so all this was starting to add up and become a problem. i shouldve done it when the nox sensor issue came up, but because i didnt everything ended up costing me double in the end.

keep your adblue topped up and maybe your cel will stay away and you wont have to spend any money on an unnecessary delete/tune. do as kajtek said also and try to keep the dpf healthy. do a delete/tune if you have to because the cost for the delete/tune would be the same as whatever repair you have to do or the repair costs are starting to add up, then i think it would make sense.

tbh i have no clue what hp/torque my car has now, but it is much more enjoyable to drive now with the extra power from the tune =
Hey B,
I just had the work on my 2012 ml350 2 days ago with a Malone stage 1 and buzzken doc cat pipe.
It stunk and loud when left the shop. They requested I take it back to turn the swirl flaps back on.
Now it drives with an inconsistent acceleration, as if it tries to speed up and then slows.
Was your tune done via OBD?
Regards
Vin
Old 01-28-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
i dont believe so. i think i recall the mechanic keeping the car overnight because he couldnt do it via obd and had to pull the computer.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:22 PM

GLK 250
I am looking to do the pipe myself, but from what I gather need a shop to do the ECU tune?

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Toronto or surrounding area?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,385 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I hope you guys are aware that in USA we do have recall on Bluetec emission systems, who will be updated, warranty extended by 4 years and on top of that each owner will get $3600 settlement check.
None of the above will happen if you modified the engine.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 e55-91 30ce-07 clk55-2012 sprinter 25
There is something about the name Rodriguez in the state of Georgia that just throws me off! Is AA Rodriguez actually located in The USA?
Old 01-02-2023, 07:25 PM

99 e55-91 30ce-07 clk55-2012 sprinter 25
Mercedes is just doing this to appease the diehards, MB doesn't have replacement parts for repairs but for a few repairs. In most cases, future repairs
are just like the current repairs, always more needed. There is no economically prudent fix for any owners of the affected systems except to delete
their useless wonder before they delete your wallet of the however amount of money you budget. Let MB drag its knuckles long enough and the public
buyers of The Best or Nothing brand will end up subsidizing their $2B fine. From all the container ships, fuel tankers, cruise lines, and the military and
airports worldwide, the private diesel vehicles and diesel engines in farming and support roles(generators...) and small business doesn't equal 1% of the
former mentioned dirty emissions spewers on a good day. If one were to add OTR diesel tractors and the parcel/freight couriers, bump up the latter to 5%
dirty diesel emissions. And, if my numbers are wrong it doesn't mean I'm lying.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:20 PM

MB Sprinter
It is best to do this at an authorized dealer. but I read somewhere on the forum that there are guys who solve this problem quite quickly and well using OBD. Look for them under a name like OBDTune
Old 04-01-2023, 07:21 PM

MB Sprinter
It is best to do this at an authorized dealer. but I read somewhere on the forum that there are guys who solve this problem quite quickly and well using OBD. Look for them under a name like OBDTune
The following users liked this post:
Ogli (07-21-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG E63s
I can also recommend the team OBDTune, used their OBD module on my Mercedes Sprinter, wrote about it earlier in another thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ml#post8809123
I think you can safely order, the solution to this problem for me was easy, clear, simple.

egorijjj_mwmods (08-16-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 07:19 PM

just looking
Originally Posted by smiledr996s
Yes.... if you have an 07 or 08 cdi. Contact green diesel engineering. There are other tuners for later years. They will send you a flash with their eco tune. It will deactivate the egr and swirl valves 2018 ram dpf delete, increase hp/torque some, transmission settings are adjusted. Supposed to help fuel economy, but I did not notice much.

The dpf delete is extra. Once done you can delete. I recieved a dpf delete pipe from cb engineering. It it for a gl. I think they have an ml if not the same piece. The best part it that you can use a better protecting oil without worrying about destroying the dpf
I bought an W212 E350cdi last year when I was doing a lot of motorway miles. Having moved jobs my car now does not get a regular ‘run’ and I have had blocked DPF issues. I want to know if anyone has had their DPF physically removed and if so how much this cost/how long this took. I have planned a remap which will include DPF delete from the ECU
Old 09-08-2023, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I removed DPF on E250 Bluetec and Sprinter Bluetec with the same OM651 engine.
Doing it several times on E class, it become about 20 minutes job.
V6 engine is leaving very little space around, so the job is going to be harder.
Now talking about DPF delete - don't do it. All I've got by doing so was lot of soot on rear of the car and nerves during inspection.
When DPF become easily available, I converted it back and even with each fueling registered on fuelly, there is no measurable difference. .. ignoring the soot obviously.
Rear of the car is where I could see it. How much landed on my lungs is to be determined.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 330 Likes on 263 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by yovenim
my car now does not get a regular ‘run’ and I have had blocked DPF issues.
It doesn't take much. Most of my driving is 25-50 mph with an occasional 2-3 miles on a 55 mph road where I get it up to maybe 65. No DPF issues in 2 years with only about 7500 miles a year.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Our E250 Bluetec makes less than 6000 miles a year, but most of streets in Las Vegas do have 45 mph limits.
When after AEM I do have new DPF, it regenerates in city traffic just fine.
Having extended warranty, I don't hesitate to abort regeneration when trip ends. It will resume the next day once engine reaches 60C.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 264 Likes on 185 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Our E250 Bluetec makes less than 6000 miles a year, but most of streets in Las Vegas do have 45 mph limits.
When after AEM I do have new DPF, it regenerates in city traffic just fine.
Having extended warranty, I don't hesitate to abort regeneration when trip ends. It will resume the next day once engine reaches 60C.
How does that work with the eco restart you like to use? Just curious.
rapidoxidation (09-11-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 10:58 PM

Received 264 Likes on 185 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by yovenim
I bought an W212 E350cdi last year when I was doing a lot of motorway miles. Having moved jobs my car now does not get a regular ‘run’ and I have had blocked DPF issues. I want to know if anyone has had their DPF physically removed and if so how much this cost/how long this took. I have planned a remap which will include DPF delete from the ECU
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I removed DPF on E250 Bluetec and Sprinter Bluetec with the same OM651 engine.
Doing it several times on E class, it become about 20 minutes job.
V6 engine is leaving very little space around, so the job is going to be harder.
Now talking about DPF delete - don't do it. All I've got by doing so was lot of soot on rear of the car and nerves during inspection.
When DPF become easily available, I converted it back and even with each fueling registered on fuelly, there is no measurable difference. .. ignoring the soot obviously.
Rear of the car is where I could see it. How much landed on my lungs is to be determined.
Originally Posted by John CC
It doesn't take much. Most of my driving is 25-50 mph with an occasional 2-3 miles on a 55 mph road where I get it up to maybe 65. No DPF issues in 2 years with only about 7500 miles a year.
May not take much but the OP said they are already having DPF issues. Saying that you dont have issues doesnt fix the OPs issue FYI.

OP get a monitor to see when your regens are taking place and see if letting them finish helps at all. Other than that see if you can find a tune better than the one Kajtek1 had on his. You should be able to get one that takes weeks or even months to get any noticeable soot on the bumper assuming any are still around.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 330 Likes on 263 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by Quint22
May not take much but the OP said they are already having DPF issues. Saying that you dont[sic] have issues doesnt[sic] fix the OPs[sic] issue FYI.
No, but it does suggest there is a solution other than cutting out the DPF.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I deleted DPF years ago, when the dealer, after collecting $2800 from my CC could not deliver DPF on 5 months waiting.
Stuttgart simply did not supply them.
Now aftermarket DPF (from forum sponsor) sell for $600-1000 and they deliver within few days, so supply is no longer a problem.
DPF to some degree is wearable, so replacing it at high mileage should be no problem. Just like airmatic.