Sponsored by:

Bad Smell after Field Measure installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 Bluetec
Bad Smell after Field Measure installed

2013 R350 BlueTec, Toronto, Canada. We got Field Measure installed two months ago. Ever since then the exhaust gas smells very bad, ideal for a while the whole area stinks. Anyone experience the same?

Dealer also got intake manifold replaced two weeks ago. Engine light popped after Field Measure installed.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
what's the code?
Old 12-11-2022, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by hujirong
2Ever since then the exhaust gas smells very bad,
Something is not right. I've owned a lot of Diesels over the years, and this one has the least smell of them all.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:42 PM

R350 Bluetec
Yes, it wasn't any smell before. I have a super good nose, btw. This early morning, I smelled the same at a red light, found a Blue Efficient E Class next to me. Wondering this Field Measure might be using something similar to this Blue Efficient, maybe another scam?
Old 12-13-2022, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
R350 Bluetec 2011
just got mine installed yestarday on my R350 2011 (bluteec field measure), have'nt noticed bad smell so far my noticed lack of power from motor whwn cold and motor stall when cold and putted to gear, dealer says must let the car heatin some minutes before putting it in gear, have experienced some loss of power or engine stall after your field mesure ??
Old 12-13-2022, 12:01 PM

R350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by snow501
just got mine installed yestarday on my R350 2011 (bluteec field measure), have'nt noticed bad smell so far my noticed lack of power from motor whwn cold and motor stall when cold and putted to gear, dealer says must let the car heatin some minutes before putting it in gear, have experienced some loss of power or engine stall after your field mesure ??
Not sure about the power lost, but make sense, they were cheating right? I don't drive this car often, mostly only for long trips, learned diesel cars are bad for short trips, we've replaced the NOX sensor at 50kkm, paid 3k, same problem happened before the Field Measure was installed (NOX sensor again replaced to get rid of that engine light).
Old 12-13-2022, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Not sure about the power lost, but make sense, they were cheating right? I don't drive this car often, mostly only for long trips, learned diesel cars are bad for short trips, we've replaced the NOX sensor at 50kkm, paid 3k, same problem happened before the Field Measure was installed (NOX sensor again replaced to get rid of that engine light).
No car is good for short trips. My friend's wife drove Lexus SUV. On her 3 miles commute it averaged about 5 mpg, so friend bought her GLK Bluetec, so she can drive on tank for month. We are in Las Vegas, so engines warm very fast, but after a year they did not notice any issues with short trips.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:31 PM

Received 282 Likes on 198 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by snow501
AEM was completed on mine prior to my purchase and it has done fine starting cold. Atleast down to about 25F so far. I always let my diesels warm up a bit before taking off if anything to defrost the windows. That said it sounded fine after a few seconds.

Dont think they were cheating necessarily, they never admitted to it just settled. Even if they were the mapping that they changed wouldnt cause issues cold start and honestly the mileage difference would be negligable if assuming anything is common among diesels US over. Even the VWs that WERE cheating didnt have a huge loss of mileage from what Ive scene. Those 4 bangers are still getting low 40s mpg depending on the application and driving (maybe 3mpg give or take difference).

With the amount of poor mechanics abilities I have read about on these AEM updates would look there first. Not to mention if its been one day maybe everything in the trans needs to be relearned although it shouldnt stall on ya.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL350
2013 R350 BlueTec, Toronto, Canada. We got Field Measure installed two months ago. Ever since then the exhaust gas smells very bad, ideal for a while the whole area stinks. Anyone experience the same?

Dealer also got intake manifold replaced two weeks ago. Engine light popped after Field Measure installed.
I am experiencing a very bad smell after they installed the field measure on February 2022. Anyone did a follow up on this with the dealership?