Sponsored by:

Renewable Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQE350 4MATIC
Renewable Diesel

Anyone here in California use Propel's Diesel HPR, or "Renewable Diesel" from Chevron and have any issues? Seems like it's kind of like a B100 biodiesel but....not. It's apparently much better than Dino Diesel, and safe to use on all diesel cars (including the GLE300d I'm thinking of buying). I think it may come from Neste.

From the FAQ:

https://www.chevronwithtechron.com/e...esel-faqs.html

What is renewable diesel?

Renewable diesel is a renewable fuel that can be used in conventional diesel engines as an alternative to petroleum diesel. It is primarily made from non-petroleum renewable sources such as soybean oil, used cooking oil, tallow and other plant- and animal based oils, with a maximum of 0.1% of its composition deriving from conventional petroleum diesel. Renewable diesel is processed in a refinery, similarly to conventional diesel and meets the same standard ASTM D975 specification. Renewable diesel is 100% comparable to conventional Diesel No. 2 and is often referred to as “Biomass-based” diesel. The orange, regulatory decal indicates the percentage of renewable diesel that the fuel contains.

*ASTM International, is an international standards organization that develops and publishes voluntary consensus technical standards for a wide range of materials, products, systems, and services including Petroleum Products, Liquid Fuels, and Lubricants.

Is Chevron Renewable Diesel safe for my vehicle?

Yes, Chevron Renewable Diesel meets the same ASTM D975 specification as Diesel No. 2. I am at a dispenser that identifies the fuel as Diesel No. 2 and only has an orange label that says it contains a certain percentage of biomass-based diesel. What does this mean?

Since Renewable diesel meets ASTM D975 specification, it is Diesel No. 2. Renewable diesel is often referred to as “Biomass-based”diesel because of the renewable sources it is made from. The orange decal indicates that the fuel contains a percentage of renewable diesel which is typically 95% or 99%. Despite how the federally required language on the bottom of the decal may read, this fuel does NOT contain 95% or 99% biodiesel.

How is Chevron Renewable Diesel cleaner than conventional petroleum diesel?

Chevron Renewable Diesel has physical properties that benefit the combustion process in diesel engines, resulting in lower engine out emissions of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulates than conventional petroleum diesel.

What are the additional benefits of Chevron Renewable Diesel?

Chevron Renewable Diesel is sourced primarily from renewable sources and has a lower carbon intensity on a life cycle basis. This means a lower sum of greenhouse gases emitted throughout the full fuel life cycle calculated under California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard methodology. Because Chevron Renewable Diesel is derived from renewable feedstocks, it has a lower lifecycle CI than conventional diesel.

From Propel:
Clean Diesel Power

- Increased power and torque
- Higher cetane than regular diesel
- Cleaner combustion and emissions

Diesel HPR meets the ASTM D975 diesel specification for use in diesel engines.
The Benefits of Diesel HPR
Fueling with Diesel HPR
Propel Diesel HPR is a premium fuel engineered to maximize performance of your clean diesel engine. Diesel HPR meets the ASTM D975 diesel specification (ULSD) for use in all diesel engines. Refined from recycled fats and oils, Diesel HPR outperforms both petroleum diesel and biodiesel in performance, emissions and value.

Performance
Performance formulated Diesel HPR has a cetane rating up to 75+, 40% higher than regular diesel, for smoother combustion and a better ride. Diesel HPR combusts more efficiently, which means more power and torque for your rig. And unlike biodiesel, Diesel HPR provides uncompromised cold weather performance. Diesel HPR is additized to provide excellent lubricity in all driving conditions and exceeds ULSD lubricity specification.

Renewable
Propel Diesel HPR is not biodiesel, however, it is manufactured from similar renewable biomass sources including recycled fats and oils. Refined from renewable biomass through advanced hydrotreating technology, Propel Diesel HPR meets the toughest specifications required by automotive and engine manufacturers. This allows Diesel HPR to be used by any diesel vehicle.

Air Quality and Environment
The California Air Resources Board classifies Diesel HPR, also known as renewable diesel, as an ultra-low carbon fuel. The fuel can achieve a 40-80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared to fossil diesel. In addition, Propel Diesel HPR:

- Reduces NOx emissions by up to 14% and particulates (PM 2.5) by 29% compared to petroleum diesel

- Is sulfur-free, aromatics-free and virtually odorless, in 100% renewable diesel form

Outperforming B20
Diesel HPR outperforms Biodiesel B20, delivering more power and lower emissions. Diesel HPR is made from 98% renewable content, while B20 biodiesel is 20% renewable and 80% petroleum. Unlike biodiesel, Diesel HPR provides uncompromised cold weather performance.

Last edited by harperb; 01-23-2024 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Pasting full text, in case links change in the future.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
I've been using it on multiple engines since 2015 when it first arrived. No issues. Idle quieter with fewer regens. None of the warnings about biodiesel apply to renewable diesel. It is a drop-in replacement for #2 diesel. 76, Chevron, Propel and probably a bunch of others offer it now. Starting pop up in Oregon and Washington as well.

Last edited by tjts1; 01-23-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:43 PM

EQE350 4MATIC
Thanks for the feedback! Is there a list of places in Oregon and Washington you've seen it?

Last edited by harperb; 01-23-2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,383 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
There is long topic about it on Sprinter forum
When renewable diesel is good fuel, in last weeks some members reported that it crystalized in not even very cold temperatures.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:59 PM

EQE350 4MATIC
Can you link to the thread? I didn't see any Sprinter forums here.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:05 PM

EQE350 4MATIC
Oh, think I found it: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...hreads/127044/

Interesting, not sure if they got a bad batch - renewable diesel is supposed to cloud / gel at a lower temperature than #2.

Last edited by harperb; 01-23-2024 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:24 AM

EQE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tjts1
I've been using it on multiple engines since 2015 when it first arrived. No issues. Idle quieter with fewer regens. None of the warnings about biodiesel apply to renewable diesel. It is a drop-in replacement for #2 diesel. 76, Chevron, Propel and probably a bunch of others offer it now. Starting pop up in Oregon and Washington as well.
Have you noticed lower fuel economy? I saw a few references to this, due to the apparent lower energy density of Renewable Diesel.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by harperb
Have you noticed lower fuel economy? I saw a few references to this, due to the apparent lower energy density of Renewable Diesel.
No I haven't noticed lower FE.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by harperb
Anyone here in California use Propel's Diesel HPR, or "Renewable Diesel" from Chevron and have any issues? Seems like it's kind of like a B100 biodiesel but....not. It's apparently much better than Dino Diesel, and safe to use on all diesel cars (including the GLE300d I'm thinking of buying). I think it may come from Neste.

<sales pitch deleted>
If you want to kill you engine in the shortest possible amount of time, but all means go ahead. Are you aware that the maximum allowed biodiesel content in the OM642 engine is B5?

Originally Posted by tjts1
You are a fück!ng moron. You've been using pure biodiesel and you have the audacity to whine about how the engine oil is somehow responsible for your engine failures?

Have you ever heard of a property called diesel lubricity and do you know what it is? In a nutshell, it indicates how "slippery" the fuel is, and thus how much fuel slips past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase where it dilutes and oxidizes the oil.

What a tool.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by Diabolis
So you're telling me you still don't understand the difference between renewable diesel and bio diesel? Let me help you out with that.
https://fosterfuels.com/blog/renewab...he-difference/

Last edited by tjts1; 01-31-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Did you actually bother to read the article you posted?
Old 01-31-2024, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Did you actually bother to read the article you posted?
Yes I did including the outside references. Which part did you find confusing? I can help you if you're having a hard time reading it.

Last edited by tjts1; 01-31-2024 at 05:52 PM.