E320 Front strut dilema

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211
E320 Front strut dilema

Hi there,
I have a 2003 E320 CDI Avantgarde with a little problem. I recently replaced the front struts as well as the springs with new ones. Unfortunately, the car now handles any bump like a boat. I used Bilestin (24-264488) struts and H&R lowering springs. Unfortunately, I found out after purchasing and installing that there are a lot of different front struts for this car, depending on the year of production, trim, etc. My question is, how do I find the correct struts so my car can finally handle like it should? Any help is appreciated. (Please excuse the photo format, i'm on mobile)

Vin: WDB2112261A408135

Old 05-07-2024, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
The springs you're using might be too short and stiff forbhw struts. The 320cdi is 200lbs heavier on the front axle than the gasoline version.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:17 PM

S211
Hello,
I have thought of that, but if the springs were too stiff, the car wouldn't be bouncy, but too firm.The H&R springs are also 986 kg (2173 lbs) each, so I doubt the softness is an issue as well. The length is also not an issue because there is a c-clip on the struts to adjust the height of the bottom seat on the strut. eat on the strut.

Thanks for the comment
Old 05-07-2024, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
The point is that a stiff spring paired with a soft shock absorbers on a heavier car results in a wallowy ride. The spring and shock need to be designed to work together.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:07 PM

Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by KaMc
Hi there,
I have a 2003 E320 CDI Avantgarde with a little problem. I recently replaced the front struts as well as the springs with new ones. Unfortunately, the car now handles any bump like a boat. I used Bilestin (24-264488) struts and H&R lowering springs. Unfortunately, I found out after purchasing and installing that there are a lot of different front struts for this car, depending on the year of production, trim, etc. My question is, how do I find the correct struts so my car can finally handle like it should? Any help is appreciated. (Please excuse the photo format, i'm on mobile)
I dont think its the strut that has many different options but the springs. My E250 has one strut listed however has about 6 different springs listed.

One thing I have learned with trucks is that when changing springs you need a proper shock/strut valved for that spring. Most places dont necessarily do that or just take off the shelf stuff and say its good, for best performance the shock needs to be matched to the modified/custom spring.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:59 PM

S211
I used https://partsouq.com/ to find the part number to tinde the part number for the shock. While it does only come with one option for my car, when I search for that part number on sites that sell parts, a lot of them have the same part number listed, but in the description, they specify that one is for standard Suprenio, Sport, Elegance, Classic, Avantgarde, etc. I technically purchased the correct part for my car, but it turned out to be too soft. That's what I mean by multiple options. The reason for this post was to find out if anybody knew of any stifer struts that I could use for the H&R spring. I found today some struts made for the same brand by which I have the rear shocks, which work great. I'll see if those work; if not, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy something like the Bilstein B12 full suspension set.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:02 PM

S211
The H&R springs are (supposedly) designed to go with the original strut for a slight drop. Thats where my problem in trying to find stiffer struts without breaking the bank comes from.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 324 Likes on 278 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Looking up your vin you have the sports suspension (486)

Your model/submodel is 211.226 when looking up parts diagram.

Your old springs should have colored dots on them indicating what they are. example 1 blue dot/1 white dot.

There should be a label on your old springs with the part#. if you dont have them you can cross reference your options (486) with the parts list.

I know in my W204 there is a height difference between the sports struts and the luxury struts, side by side out of the car and even in the car with the ride height.

The parts diargram is too large to cut and past so ill try and add the link to the page: https://www.catcar.info/mercedes/?la...xwYWdlNzA9PS0x
Old 05-08-2024, 10:21 PM

Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by KaMc
The H&R springs are (supposedly) designed to go with the original strut for a slight drop. Thats where my problem in trying to find stiffer struts without breaking the bank comes from.
I think those are B4s essentially, have you looked into a B6 or do they even make them for your application? The B6 should be stiffer. The B8 is for lowered vehicles, honestly may be what your looking for.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:35 AM

S211
Originally Posted by TimC300
Looking up your vin you have the sports suspension (486)

Your model/submodel is 211.226 when looking up parts diagram.

Your old springs should have colored dots on them indicating what they are. example 1 blue dot/1 white dot.

There should be a label on your old springs with the part#. if you dont have them you can cross reference your options (486) with the parts list.

I know in my W204 there is a height difference between the sports struts and the luxury struts, side by side out of the car and even in the car with the ride height.

The parts diargram is too large to cut and past so ill try and add the link to the page: https://www.catcar.info/mercedes/?la...xwYWdlNzA9PS0x
This is perfect. I still have the old spring in a lockup, ill go there later today and check the markings on them. Thank you
Old 05-10-2024, 02:41 AM

S211
Originally Posted by Quint22
I think those are B4s essentially, have you looked into a B6 or do they even make them for your application? The B6 should be stiffer. The B8 is for lowered vehicles, honestly may be what your looking for.
Yes i bought B4 now. They do sell B6s for my car, but the problem i have is that the are bright yellow. Where i live moddification are wery strickt so haveing a bright strut would be a problem, and painying them would get rid of all the part number/manifacture name, whitch is also a priblem, so im trying to avoid that for now