E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

tuning the C207, exhausts and bodykits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W177 A250AMG 2019, W212 FL E250 with 63 kit, R8
tuning the C207, exhausts and bodykits

finally got the VATH quads on, 30% of the actual width is dedicated to these cannons!
Attached Thumbnails tuning the C207, exhausts and bodykits-vathquad2.jpg   tuning the C207, exhausts and bodykits-vathquads.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
How does it sound??
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM

similar to stock on idle, 5db more on throttle,
and a medium pitched roar ending with a bassy tune up in the rev range,
the problem is that the soundproofing is so good, you have to open the windows
to properly hear the roar.
product is TUV approved (type approved)
very light!!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM

E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
Originally Posted by efan
finally got the VATH quads on, 30% of the actual width is dedicated to these cannons!
congrats!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM

forgot to say, there is a running in period to let the filling settle (2000km),
i think there is a cherrybomb type structure inside each muffler,
there is a louder bassy howl now, it's addictive, go for it Christian!!!
tick the AMG bodykit and your bodybuilding will be easier!!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 PM

E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
Thanks efan!

I have not purchased the ECOUPE just yet, im waiting to sell my Armored X5... i hope this happens in the following month... cant wait ! ! ! !
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 PM

E350 Coupe
If u want a loud nice exhaust note just change the mufflers and take out the resonators and change the exhaust tips..... or... get a butterfly valve and connect it before your catalyst... if u want a performance boost and a nice exhaust nice just open the valve..
Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 AM

how does the butterfly work before the cats?, i mean if it is closed then the flow is totally limited because it is so far ahead of the mufflers?
my neighbour's 997 turbo has a custom CAPRISTO system in titanium with a remote control valve in the muffler, not at the start of the system
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 AM

E350 Coupe
how does the butterfly work before the cats?, i mean if it is closed then the flow is totally limited because it is so far ahead of the mufflers?
my neighbour's 997 turbo has a custom CAPRISTO system in titanium with a remote control valve in the muffler, not at the start of the system
if its closed.. the air would flow as normal out from the end exhaust... if its open... the air exits from the butterfly valve.. well if u put it at the start of the system its effectively a resonator+muffler+cat delete...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM

i think that can only happen if the butterfly valve is in the muffler, when closed there is another baffle chamber that the exhaust goes thru, the "silent chamber", but when open it goes staright thru.
go to the VAREX website to get your comments correct.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM

E350 Coupe
sorry i used the wrong term.... its exhaust cut outs
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php
this is what i meant...
sorry for the confusion... was under the impression its the same thing...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 PM

no worries, you must be a old hand in modding as you spoke like a pro

i like your car's new blacked out look
Old 05-28-2010, 11:17 AM

2010 e350 coupe
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the downside to doing these modifications to your exhaust system which include, but not limited too

voids warranty
burns out valves
poor gas mileage
lack of power
illegal as it is considered a pollution modification
can result in vehicle being condemned by police and towed for immediate inspection, at your own cost
can result in tickets for excessive noise which in some places carry points

I am sure that others can think of other things

Just my .02 worth and as it's your vehicle, you can do what ever you wish, but don't be surprised when you see those red and blue light behind you, if you make these mods.

Last edited by E350 Coupe; 05-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM

E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
This is in HK, so no worries i guess...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM

2010 e350 coupe
Ahh, I see, in Canada the Police, and vehicle road inspectors, all carry DB meters, and check for pollution mods which are big in BC and California.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM

your comments are noted, but you seem quite biased and incorrectly informed.

My car is running just fine!! thanks
My Wheels are AMG VI, sold to me by the dealer and won't void the warranty, offsets are correct and no rubbing or spacers required.

My AMG bodykit is made by guess who? MB and won't void my warranty

My Exhaust is made by VATH who have 35years experience producing products to enhance MB cars, and guess what the part is plug and play and German TUV/Type approved and won't void my warranty, the cat is still on, emissions no problem, it is 5db louder than stock (unless i rev it really hard) so not illegal. Dealer will not treat a TUV exhaust as voiding the warranty, but taking the cat or putting valves in would.

poor gas, maybe with the bigger tyres, yes a little and maybe a slight consumption of 0.2
Carbon fiber parts just enhance the rear end and are rather subtle, they weigh next to nothing anyway.

certainly you just come on here to talk about how nice and how much you enjoy your car, but that is limited.

The plus side is i enjoy my car more than you do

there is nothing ricy about my car, the exhaust note is similar to an AMG
C63 (70%) and that car is not ricy right??
A E500 coupe costs over USD135,000 in HK (it costs more in Norway or Singapore) which is out of my reach, so we do some things to enhance our enjoyment of our cars to stop being boring old farts, cheer up and enjoy your car and let me enjoy mine
Old 05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
E350 Coupe - you should delete both your posts as they are not factual and will confuse others.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:05 PM

2010 e350 coupe
My posts to be specific is directly related to modifying the exhaust system with cut outs, by pass connectors etc. It does not refer to anything else, if you would like I can quote the exact sections to modifying of exhaust systems etc.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E350 Coupe
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the downside to doing these modifications to your exhaust system which include, but not limited too

voids warranty
burns out valves
poor gas mileage
lack of power
illegal as it is considered a pollution modification
can result in vehicle being condemned by police and towed for immediate inspection, at your own cost
can result in tickets for excessive noise which in some places carry points

Most of your info isn't even true:
1) Exhaust does not void warranty unless it can be proven that the mods caused a related problem. Magnuson-Moss Act.
2) How does it burn out valves?
3) You can actually get better gas mileage from an exhaust! (assuming you aren't constantly on the gas enjoying it).
4) Exhausts cause you to lose power? While possible, most are designed to gain (obviously).
5) Many exhausts have the appropriate approvals (CARB, etc), so this is a bit of a blanket statement and not necessarily accurate.
6) "Condemned"? That sounds pretty extreme (and I think the word you're looking for is "impounded"). I didn't know BC was so strict! Definitely not the case in most parts of the world. You get a ticket and you move on.

Ahh, I see, in Canada the Police, and vehicle road inspectors, all carry DB meters, and check for pollution mods which are big in BC and California.
That is completely untrue in Ontario (and I'm sure most other provinces). A rather lame blanket statement - there are city cops, provincial cops, and the RCMP, not the "Canada Police". Certainly most city and provincial cops in Ontario do not carry DB meters! And MTO officers aren't actively patrolling any roadways in Ontario.

My posts to be specific is directly related to modifying the exhaust system with cut outs, by pass connectors etc. It does not refer to anything else, if you would like I can quote the exact sections to modifying of exhaust systems etc.
If you are referring only to cut-outs, you should modify your posts to only the relevant info. As they remain, they imply you are referring to exhaust modifications.

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 05-28-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM

2010 e350 coupe
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Most of your info isn't even true:
1) Exhaust does not void warranty unless it can be proven that the mods caused a related problem. Magnuson-Moss Act.

It's actually the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, and the onus is reversed once you alter the vehicle from original design.

The act was designed to allow people to do their own service and repairs with similar type quality products, and to simplify you can use a similar oil filter of quality and design rather then a mercedes filter, however you are still required to use the same high quality oil and not just any Dino oil because it was cheap or on sale. The act requires you to document all changes and service you have done.

The act does not allow people to modify the design and force the company to prove it was the cause, the mere presence or proof which you are correct is up to the manufacturer to prove was in fact done now puts the onus on you to prove it was not harmful and thus voided your warranty. In your case changing the tail pipes for similar quality and use is your proof however using a bypass, cut out or butterfly, I don't think the supplier will guarantee their use.

2) How does it burn out valves?

Back to basics, no back pressure will easily cause this ask any mechanic who has been around awhile.

3) You can actually get better gas mileage from an exhaust! (assuming you aren't constantly on the gas enjoying it).

You are stating 2 things you get better as long as you are not on the gas, actually major exhaust producers such as "walker" etc will show on a dyno that a proper tuned exhaust will get better mileage and horsepower then without any exhaust.

Horsepower TV has also done similar tests on a dyno to come to the same conclusion.

4) Exhausts cause you to lose power? While possible, most are designed to gain (obviously)

Again incorrect refer to above, this is only true on vehicles designed to operate without any exhaust what so ever and the key word is designed.

5) Many exhausts have the appropriate approvals (CARB, etc), so this is a bit of a blanket statement and not necessarily accurate.

6) "Condemned"? That sounds pretty extreme (and I think the word you're looking for is "impounded"). I didn't know BC was so strict! Definitely not the case in most parts of the world. You get a ticket and you move on.

In BC there are 3 types of NIO (notice in order)

#3. a warning such as a burned out bulb headlight etc (officers discretion)

#2. a 30 day repair or remove from road, allows you 30 days to make repair then have vehicle inspected to certify that it is fit for the road. The inspection covers the entire vehicle not just the item in which you were stopped for

#1. immediate removal from road otherwise known as a condemned notice as it requires the vehicle to be towed from road the licence plates are returned to MVB and the vehicle is brought to a designated inspection facility for immediate repair at the discretion of the officer. Most officers will designate a manufacturer facility thus if it is a ford then it goes to a Ford facility.

That is completely untrue in Ontario (and I'm sure most other provinces). A rather lame blanket statement - there are city cops, provincial cops, and the RCMP, not the "Canada Police". Certainly most city and provincial cops in Ontario do not carry DB meters! And MTO officers aren't actively patrolling any roadways in Ontario.

Ok we have Municipal, Provincial and Federal Police

Municipal officers have a blue stripe on their pants and hat
Provincial officers have a red stripe down their pants and hat
Federal officers have a yellow stripe down their pants and hat

All municipal officers are sworn in under the Provincial Police Act
All provincial officers are sworn in under the Provincial Police Act
All federal officers are sworn in under the RCMP act then the provincial act when they are posted to their respective area's

Now in Ontario we have the MOT (Ministry of Transport) who are sworn in under the provincial police act as peace officers and not police officers there is a difference, however when stopping you they have the same authority as police officers in regards to ticketing and power of authority.

In BC we have the CVSE (commercial vehicle safety enforcement) which is similar to your MOT in that they stop and inspect all vehicles and not just commercial vehicles. These are highly trained vehicle inspectors who know the Motor Vehicle Act and Motor Vehicle Regulations like the back of their hand.

Now lets get back to the Police

In Toronto there are 5 distinct sections known as districts which the Toronto Police operate out of. These are numbered 1 through 5. The marked cars you see on the road indicate the area in which they are assigned to work, as in 3203 works out of 3 district and is assigned to 32 division and will patrol Lawrence to Steeles and Keele to Bayview. This is his assigned patrol area and not his working area.

3 district has 3 separate divisions 31, 32 and 33 division being west, center and east.

Now in the center of this is 3 District Traffic who does traffic enforcement for all of 3 district and is situated on Ellerslie Ave just west of Yonge Street.

3 district traffic is mandated to all traffic enforcement investigations from parking control to the operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

This specialized group of officers is trained in incident investigation up to including motor vehicle inspections of commercial vehicles, and in their mast tool kit are digital DB meters which used to be analog.

Now in Toronto there are 5 such traffic divisions who generally compose of 25-30 officers per station 3 shifts 365 days per year.

In Ontario you also have the OPP which are provincial officers and operate out of the vehicle inspection facility on downsview.

Outside of specialized federal work there are no uniformed federal officers other then the RCMP at the airports in Ontario.

In BC we took a different approach all officers are trained to a minimum lever of II in incident investigation

We have municipal officers in area's where the municipality wants their own Police force and all others are the RCMP. We have not had a provincial force since the 60's

Each department will have assigned traffic officer to do enforcement and are highly trained to a level III analysis or level IV re-constructionist which is close to an engineer level of investigation.

At this point these officers know the Act and regulations like the back of their hand and can quote chapter and verse from memory.

In BC we also run joint enforcement along with ICBC (insurance corporation of BC) sponsored events where we target vehicles on a regular basis for enforcement. These expenses for enforcement are part of our insurance program which is mandatory for all vehicles in BC with the exception of federal agencies who post a sizeable bond in lieu of insurance.

Now getting back to being so strict, in BC we are the strictest for enforcement in north america and only tied with california. We have the strictest regulations in regards to pollution controls again only tied with California, a vehicle originally registered in BC will meet all requirements for any province in Canada and with a TPMS modification anywhere in Canada or the US

If you are referring only to cut-outs, you should modify your posts to only the relevant info. As they remain, they imply you are referring to exhaust modifications.

Yes my post applies to all exhaust modifications to some point or another. If you swapped out your muffler for a glass pack and the glass pack starts to burn up your noise will increase above the allowable 82 db limit and you can be subject to a fine and or penalty as excessive noise from a motor vehicle carries points along with a monetary penalty.

Now lets stop the pissing match, I stated it was my .02 cents worth and my opinion which I will now qualify as 31 years experience in law enforcement being now retired I can afford this car, couldn't when I was working.

People have to be informed and left to make their own decisions, anyone advising them that their are no consequences from actions they make or take, are not properly informing them.

I hope I have answered your questions to some degree of accuracy

Last edited by E350 Coupe; 05-28-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: correcting
Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[/U]
Yes my post applies to all exhaust modifications to some point or another. If you swapped out your muffler for a glass pack and the glass pack starts to burn up your noise will increase above the allowable 82 db limit and you can be subject to a fine and or penalty as excessive noise from a motor vehicle carries points along with a monetary penalty.

Now lets stop the pissing match, I stated it was my .02 cents worth and my opinion which I will now qualify as 31 years experience in law enforcement being now retired I can afford this car, couldn't when I was working.

People have to be informed and left to make their own decisions, anyone advising them that their are no consequences from actions they make or take, are not properly informing them.

I hope I have answered your questions to some degree of accuracy
No "pissing match" here - your posts are confusing because you alternate between examples of a modified exhaust (which still has some sort of muffler/backpressure inducing device) versus a cut-out. Obviously they are two very different setups with different implications with respect to the topics you outlined. For example, what street-legal car is designed to operate without an exhaust, aside from the Tesla?! Obviously, most aftermarket exhausts still have mufflers and are designed to reduce backpressure (hurting torque) and increasing horsepower, while also sounding great.

As for you retiring from law enforcement, that's great, I respect most officers of the law. I wish there was a single patrol in Toronto that was equipped with a db meter and actually used it to enforce noise laws, because every douche with a motorcycle in this city would have their bike "condemned" if that were the case.

Based on 31 years on the force you're obviously in your 50s/60s and thus you probably do not share the same enthusiasm for mods (whether legal or not) that many here do, myself included. Personally, I like hearing about these kinds of mods, even if they are not to my personal taste. Ultimately, if an officer of the law has nothing better to do than worry about the extra 3 grams of CO2 my exhaust is putting out then we must be pretty close to world peace.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 PM

2010 e350 coupe
I understand your frustration with motorcycles which are unique as the baffles are removable by simply removing a single screw from the muffler and sliding out the baffle.

It was motorcycles which justified the use of db meters as the mufflers on harley davidson are actually imprinted with the max db they will emit, however by removing one single screw the noise level is in the 110 range.

As for modifying vehicles you couldn't be more wrong I have been modifying vehicles since I was 16. At one point I had over $31,000 in a $3,000 honda civic, rebuilt that engine 5 times even converted it to natural gas to bump up the compression to 12:1

I have only had the car for 6 days so far and waited 3-1/2 months to get it, so far best vehicle I have had

As for mods I am looking for 550 tips, tinting of the glass, rear spoiler, (not really sure I like the little one I prefer the larger style) led conversion, rear storage box in trunk, rear bumper cover, 3m front clear bra, safe under seat, K & N filters, mag wheels that are easier to clean, painting of callipers, changing of pads that don't emit dust, illuminated AMG sills, better software for GPS and maybe even a GPS bypass module.

I live for my car and have driven 100's of different vehicles since I was 16, so far this has been the best car I have owned or driven.

Oh my last 2 cars were hybrids a 2009 camry and 2010 prius full load, I've had my share of green cars, great mileage 74 mpg actual but real slugs and noisy as all heck

By the way, simply a real point of life, on a nice sunny day you are standing outside watching traffic go by and if there are 100 vehicles passing you every minute, guess which vehicle get stopped for the random check??

Not the car with bald tires as you cannot see them

Not the prohibited driver as you can't run plates that fast

Not even the guy on drugs, or been drinking too much, as he just got an adrenaline high to wake him up as he saw you first

Nope the guy drawing the most attention, the guy with the loud exhaust, as he announced his presence in advance at 341 meters per second, sorry it's that way, but the person who makes the most noise, get the most attention.

Enjoy your car as I am, now just to find those 550 exhaust tips.

Last edited by E350 Coupe; 05-28-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

550 tips are tough because they aren't sold separately OEM - they are only available in conjunction with the muffler assembly. I'm looking for a set as well (hoping to find a C63 exhaust and will need another set of tips - don't want to hack up my OEM exhaust). Hopefully someone starts offering a quality aftermarket solution.

PS: speaking of green cars, my previous car was a smart

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 05-29-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM

you can buy just the tips, because i have a set, unused, albeit they sent me 2 right exits, they attach to the bumper/chassis by 3 screws.
They come with a cotton sock, there is a mounting bracket sold separately, but i tried the AMG tip without a bracket and it screwed on after removing the bumper.

E350 coupe - sir you are respected as being a ex lawman, and thank you for having taken a lot of those booming/farting modified exhaust cars off the road, but that doesn't make you an authority on the subject.
please do not generise the law, you should have mentioned "illegal in Canada" or whatever, a lot of us don't live in Canada.
TUV type approval is not Mickey Mouse stuff, those guys are hardcore engineers at VATH, inside the muffler are baffles as well as filling, there is a run-in period of 3000km when the filling stabilises.They weigh 2kg more than the stock and thats why
they cost US$3000, it's the real mcCoy, made by professionals with a different angle then AMG for connoiseurs!
remember some time ago AMG were the same type of company, modifying customer's cars, and MB bought them!
i am curious to know what is the legal standard in Canada 75db?
and maximum 82 right?
so mine is 5db above the standard and should still be legal then?
i mean do they use the DB at idle or do they rev it to the red line to get the db reading?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can buy just the tips, because i have a set, unused, albeit they sent me 2 right exits, they attach to the bumper/chassis by 3 screws.
Do you have any part #s or photos? I am desperately trying to get ahold of a set of 550 tips. Thanks!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tuning the C207, exhausts and bodykits