E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MB 10' E550: Weird, annoying rattle from rear deck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
MB 10' E550: Weird, annoying rattle from rear deck

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2010 E550 about a month ago. I work in WPB, FL and fly back home to Houston for the weekends, so the whip is mainly a weekender. Last weekend, I noticed this annoying rattle coming from the rear deck around the driver-side speaker enclosure. The rattling sound is very consistent on freeways and alternates from excessive to faint on regular road driving. Has anyone experienced this type of rattling noise in the 2010 models, fixes, etc.? Its extremely annoying given the fact that the interior cabin is dead silent during normal driving conditions.

Thanks MBworld

JT
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM

E550
I had rattle/ cracking noise coming from the sunroof. Dealer took care of it
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM

E550
Thanx edmonton. I just recently scheduled an appointment with Mercedes-Benz Greenway this weekend. Hopefully they can address this issue asap. I'll keep you guys posted on what they discover.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eclass Cabriolet A207
Originally Posted by JoE TeE
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2010 E550 about a month ago. I work in WPB, FL and fly back home to Houston for the weekends, so the whip is mainly a weekender. Last weekend, I noticed this annoying rattle coming from the rear deck around the driver-side speaker enclosure. The rattling sound is very consistent on freeways and alternates from excessive to faint on regular road driving. Has anyone experienced this type of rattling noise in the 2010 models, fixes, etc.? Its extremely annoying given the fact that the interior cabin is dead silent during normal driving conditions.

Thanks MBworld

JT

my friend had this problem with his e-coupe and complained to head office in germany as the dealership kept reporting no fault found.

the problem he was finding was when his music was on the rear parcel shelf kept rattling. mercedes ended up taking his car in and sound proofing the whole shelf and this seemed to have fixed the problem.

(note- he had the harmon kardon upgrade option which has a rear sub)

hope this helps
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM

E550
update

Thanks for the info. I dropped off the car this early morning and was loaned a C-class for the troubles. The service technician assured us he would do his best to solve this problem. I also have the Harmon Kardon speaker system in the vehicle, although I do believe this is a standard option in the E550 US version. The rattling sound does originate around the rear shelf of the vehicle. Hopefully, these guys can provide a permanent fix. I'll keep you guys posted with the news.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 AM

E350 Coupe
This problem is very commonmwith Harman Kardon system and the rear shelf. Too much bass and the rattle-battle begins. Very annoying and amazing how this kind of problem has slipped through mercedes-benz quality control. I have also visited dealership and asked about this matter and all i got was greasy fingerprints on my rear glass and "there is nothing loose or broken, just don't use too much bass". I have tried to put polyuretheane pieces myself between rear shelf and glass but they eventually drop out and the rattle is back.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM

E550
I wouldn't say I am a complete bass enthusiast, but I enjoy enough bass in moderation to accentuate the corresponding music notes. Optimistically, I would like to see this problem permanently fixed. In reality, I may just receive the same comment as kyrpae received. Lets hope the latter will not hold true.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E550 Coupe
Mine did that too. I posted on someone else's thread that raising the roller blind in the back makes the sound go away. I asked the dealer about it and they just said it was a "design characteristic" as the showroom model did the same thing when playing the same CD as my car. The sound all but disappeared this summer, but I fear that it'll be back as it gets colder. Thank goodness our winters are short here. If anyone gets a hold of a fix, let me know as I'll show it to my dealer.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 PM

E350 Coupe
There is no roller blind in my car and it does rattle. Reason is that the rear shelf isn't tightly on the rear glass and it causes vibration when listening loud and with low frequencies. Dealership sayin something that "don't use bass" or "every car does that" is totally unbelievable. I paid 1000€ for my Harman Kardon system and now im crippled to use the full potential because some designing flaw.

Mercedes even publishes this kind of videos where they are tuning the cars acoustic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3H6jTrVvEA and then there is this cheap rattle problems that prevents you from listening your harman kardon system at volumes/settings you like.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM

E550
My car was kept over the weekend and I am planning to talk to the service technician after his lunch break today. The receptionist notified that the car is "on hold, for parts". Seems like they may be replacing a part in the car. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get the final word.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM

E550
Status Update

I had the chance to talk to the service representative this afternoon and he was able to confirm the rear rattling issue had been fixed by applying a piece of felt tape in between the rear shelf and whatever the shelf was making contact with. The technicians were able to confirm that the rattling noise has virtually disappeared. Also, the power steering recall fix has been applied to the vehicle by applying the MB approved specialized clamp. Full point inspection performed, tire pressure PSI checked/values set, full wash, and ready for pick-up. All repairs covered under warranty. I'll keep you guys posted if this annoyance resurfaces anytime soon.

JT