E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E550 - front suspension noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
E550 - front suspension noise

I had my car by the dealer last week to check out some low-speed noise in the RF suspension. Best described as creaking when turning the wheel to pull in/our of a parking space. You can also hear it when pulling into the driveway (which has a bit of an incline).

The tech checked out another car on the lot and found the same thing. They returned my car to me saying "sound is normal for this car".

A few things here:
a) it wasn't there until the past month
b) Its a Mercedes....noisy suspension isn't 'normal' (or, at least that's my expectation)

Anybody else with these symptoms? I'm supposed to schedule time with the shop foreman to go drive a lot car so they can prove it's normal. As I said to the service manager, there's no point in doing that...whether its on every car or not, it shouldn't be there.

I've had a LOT of cars over the years and the only ones to have noise like this had defective parts/installs in the suspension.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E550 Coupe
I had a similar noise from day 1 on my car. I told them it wasn't normal more than once and they said they either couldn't duplicate it or it was normal. I finally convinced them to take a closer look and they ended up replacing the thrust arm bushings and a something else. I'll dig the paperwork out in a bit, but the noise went a way and has not returned. It was a creaking grazing noise from both sides of my car. It happened on driveways and speed bumps if I turned the wheel off center.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
I have that too. more so when first drive car for day. I thought it was the brakes.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350 Coupe
Me four. I love my car. But this is worrying to say the least. I took my car in about three weeks ago for the power steering recall. First one at the dealership and they looked at me like I was frick'n foreign. I never got an answer if the two issues were related. Anyways, I tried to troubleshoot and localize it myself.

I have a one car garage. I reverse out and just as I'm fully out of the garage, I crank the wheel to the right. Next I crank it to the left, make the turn to clear the garage and proceed to staighten out then make a right 2 seconds later. When the wheels come back to center after the last right and as I exit the straight complex entrance, I hear two/three clicks. The first two sound like one and they sound like they are right by the inside driver's front wheel and the third behind the brake pedal. I can feel it! And when I pull out in the early monrning (@ Pennetta) or in the afternoon in hot Nor Cal it doesn't make a difference. And nowhere elese in my normal driving is the tight turns I have to make needed. After taking it to the dealership, they couldn't find (hear or see) or duplicate the problem; even with me AND the tech driving it. Hence, they couldn't error it out (if there was an error code). They said they'd keep an eye on it. To be fair, they do good work and were more than inviting, but if it's not a "fill their silo" repair, you'll really have to ask. Hopefully MB will come up with a recall soon as I hate to start off my drive, even backing it out to wash it in the driveway, with such noises...

Last edited by nufcfan76; 11-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:14 PM

e350 convertible
Originally Posted by nufcfan76
Me four. I love my car. But this is worrying to say the least. I took my car in about three weeks ago for the power steering recall. First one at the dealership and they looked at me like I was frick'n foreign. I never got an answer if the two issues were related. Anyways, I tried to troubleshoot and localize it myself.

I have a one car garage. I reverse out and just as I'm fully out of the garage, I crank the wheel to the right. Next I crank it to the left, make the turn to clear the garage and proceed to staighten out then make a right 2 seconds later. When the wheels come back to center after the last right and as I exit the straight complex entrance, I hear two/three clicks. The first two sound like one and they sound like they are right by the inside driver's front wheel and the third behind the brake pedal. I can feel it! And when I pull out in the early monrning (@ Pennetta) or in the afternoon in hot Nor Cal it doesn't make a difference. And nowhere elese in my normal driving is the tight turns I have to make needed. After taking it to the dealership, they couldn't find (hear or see) or duplicate the problem; even with me AND the tech driving it. Hence, they couldn't error it out (if there was an error code). They said they'd keep an eye on it. To be fair, they do good work and were more than inviting, but if it's not a "fill their silo" repair, you'll really have to ask. Hopefully MB will come up with a recall soon as I hate to start off my drive, even backing it out to wash it in the driveway, with such noises...
We have this problem only after we reversed out from garage then while driving forward; this clicking sound at the driver front side(under) and once it's driven then the "clicking" sound disappear.

This happened near to every morning and my wife experienced the same after prolonged parking at the lot.

Will make appointment to update the problems.

We have to leave the car overnight and tell the service manager that it "sounded" only in the morning as my old CLK 2006 has the similar problem.

My 2011 Mars Red E350 convertible have "accumulated 5K miles under two months.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:25 PM

I have a E350 but have a similar issue. It doesn't creak.. I've had a difficult time explaining the sound with words... more like a knock? click?
I took it into 2 different dealerships couple months ago and the last guy said to me.."your car is new and the suspension probably hasn't settled in yet". Seriously?!
I didn't know what to respond to that.. such a lame response..>:T

I just got it back from getting my service A and for the recall and it's still making that noise. It's not loud or anything but drives me crazy since it's still happening and I have no idea what it is.
ALSO
3-4 months into the purchase my car stalled TWICE (it's an automatic)! Both times in reverse during a 3 point turn. They can't figure it out and said they never heard of anyone with that issue.
I wonder if anyone has had that problem..

I wish they just take this car back and give me another one. :p

First time ever on any forum so I hope I got this down.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 AM

e350 convertible
Originally Posted by LoveMinaG
I have a E350 but have a similar issue. It doesn't creak.. I've had a difficult time explaining the sound with words... more like a knock? click?
I took it into 2 different dealerships couple months ago and the last guy said to me.."your car is new and the suspension probably hasn't settled in yet". Seriously?!
I didn't know what to respond to that.. such a lame response..>:T

I just got it back from getting my service A and for the recall and it's still making that noise. It's not loud or anything but drives me crazy since it's still happening and I have no idea what it is.
ALSO
3-4 months into the purchase my car stalled TWICE (it's an automatic)! Both times in reverse during a 3 point turn. They can't figure it out and said they never heard of anyone with that issue.
I wonder if anyone has had that problem..

I wish they just take this car back and give me another one. :p

First time ever on any forum so I hope I got this down.
Tested it tonight again and still "clicking" noise is there.

I will bring it down tomorrow and make sure they keep the car overnight to test it first in the morning because it occurred in the morning only.

I vividly remember the engine stalled for simple reason with my old clk and it's something very simple but I forgot what's it.

I believed that the dealer is charging all the labor and parts to NB and given a chance they will fits it under warranty.

Just be patience with the service manager and build relationship with them.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM

E 350 Coupe
Well, until we hear back from AJRDU (or anyone else) we have no written evidence (work order) a problem was found or repaired. And MB won't diagnose, repair or even confirm this issue for the rest of us without such. Until there is a work order that can be given to dealerships across North America which specifically states the problem(s) or there is a recall, there is nothing we can do but wince with the clicks n' creaks and hope for the best. I still love my car though.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E550 Coupe
Sorry about the delay getting back to post my work order, but it reads as follows:

"Client hears creaking noise when backing up/or going over small inclines. Cause: Thrust Arm Bushings. Bearing on Both Torque Struts replace. 211-333-06-97 Elastomeric, 203-33-10-14 Rubber bushing. Thrust arm bushings perform road test to check for noise//not able to locate noise// R&R lower engine panels// Duplicate noise when turning steering on an angle//noise coming from thrust arm bushings//replace left and right thrust arm bushing//"

There you have it. Sorry that I forgot to post it earlier
The following users liked this post:
Docrox (04-12-2016)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Great info thanks for posting
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
front end noise

Hi-

I have a 2010 E550 coupe and I have a similiar noise that you are describing. Did the recommendation below fix your noises?

Thanks,
Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 AM

C63 507 (2014) GLK350(2011)
When i had my C63 i had the same problem when back up from my garage, i asked the tech and he said alot of mercedes had this problem, it will go away after you drive for 5-10 mins then the backing up sound will be gone, it always happen when you first start your car in the morning or has parked the car for a long time. If you just parked it for less than an hour you wont hear that noise at all. They didn't replace anything i think they just lube some parts around the SPRING or SHOCKS area.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 AM

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by PGT
I had my car by the dealer last week to check out some low-speed noise in the RF suspension. Best described as creaking when turning the wheel to pull in/our of a parking space. You can also hear it when pulling into the driveway (which has a bit of an incline).

The tech checked out another car on the lot and found the same thing. They returned my car to me saying "sound is normal for this car".

A few things here:
a) it wasn't there until the past month
b) Its a Mercedes....noisy suspension isn't 'normal' (or, at least that's my expectation)

Anybody else with these symptoms? I'm supposed to schedule time with the shop foreman to go drive a lot car so they can prove it's normal. As I said to the service manager, there's no point in doing that...whether its on every car or not, it shouldn't be there.

I've had a LOT of cars over the years and the only ones to have noise like this had defective parts/installs in the suspension.
I have it now, dealers gna change some boot **** or somethin i dont even know, my advice, take it to another dealer
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM

e350 convertible
Let me relate the hard time I have gone through with the technician and finally the foreman of the workshop.

Visited them countless time that eventually I have to use this phrase to them, "it's no fun owning a 70K car with all those ****ing noise and my time are not for visiting your workshop that never solves this problem, is it a "lemon".

The foreman identify the "clicking noise" on the left front came from hydraulic pump which automatically self-testing it once we reached 12k RPM and they could not replaces it because MB stated that it's normal. They remedy it by "plastering" it with this layer of(like velcro) to minimised the noise.

On the second problem with all the squeaking noise from the front left they finally replaces the strut and all the bushes, coupling and noises are gone.

After three weeks some noises pops out again and I have to go through all the daily visit to remedy it again this time they tell me they have tightened or torque whatever ****ing nut at the front.

So far so good.

My Pomeranium steping all over the car and I noticed there are so many features in the GPS that I do not understand but my wife figured out.

This car is much better than my 2006 CLK and been enjoying with it.

Bought a 8 GB Compact flash plus an adaptor(7 buck), recording CD into the media is as easy but there are some MP3 they do not recognised.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 AM

2003 Honda Accord, 2010 E-550 Coupe
Guys - I wonder if this is the same "problem" I'm having. It seems that there are two different sounds though that the posters above are referring to. One is a creek and the other is a clicking.

Just bought a 2010 E-550 coupe with 8,000 KMS.
I experience a "creek" - it has only ever happened first thing in the morning when driving it out of my underground parking spot. It almost sounds like the brakes squealing, but not quite the same sounds. It only happens immediately as I pull away and never again through the day.

Do you think my issue is the same as discussed above? I'm wondering if anyone else has had any luck getting MB to diagnose the problem and do the repairs.

I would appreciate any advise that I can get.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
Its a common complaint but reportedly not a safety issue, my car has it too.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM

e350 convertible
My left side noise started with every morning while reversing and turning the steering to the right to get out of my garage, once I started to cruise then those clicking noise from the hydralic pumps start clicking and this happened every morning when the car is under 5000 miles.

And later the noise become more obvious when the car is parked little longer and the progresses to "daily music" from the left side.

The Service Advicer jokingly told me to turn on the radio loud every morning so I will not hear those noise.

I will try to find those work order hidden somewhere in the house and detailed what they did to the car

Believed that they changed the left strut and some bushes.

All this noise is over but the clicking noise from the hydralic pump still exist and I got to live with it till it quit on me.

I test drive another similar car with the foreman and no clicking noise at all so I am stuck with what he "reasoned" for those noise.

Service advicer is just a guy that listens to your "sorrow" and as a middle man to the workshop.

Make sure you described as detail as possible and make sure he "keyed" in the computer as what you have described otherwise the workshop will be confused and cannot pinpoint what's your problems.

Some flying object hit my windshield last week and make very sure insurance company replaced it with OEM.

The replacement of the windshield is near to US$1000/= and done in my garage yesterday.

Originally Posted by Crudler
Guys - I wonder if this is the same "problem" I'm having. It seems that there are two different sounds though that the posters above are referring to. One is a creek and the other is a clicking.

I experience a "creek" - it has only ever happened first thing in the morning when driving it out of my underground parking spot. It almost sounds like the brakes squealing, but not quite the same sounds. It only happens immediately as I pull away and never again through the day.

Do you think my issue is the same as discussed above? I'm wondering if anyone else has had any luck getting MB to diagnose the problem and do the repairs.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM

E 350 Coupe
Hi All, just wanted to chime in. I took the above work order to the dealership a couple of months ago. They did the work yet the clicking still remains. What's really troubling is that they supposedly test drove my car. They didn't. I still have the same clicking sound like others report. Nothing new, nothing fixed. I just can't get over the idea of a car like this making that kind of sound. A Kia? Yes. Dae Woo, certainly. Benz? Really?

Otherwise, an incredible car.

Last edited by nufcfan76; 06-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
creaking noise is what I have, only in the parking lot and in the RF suspension
Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 PM

e350 convertible
Originally Posted by nufcfan76
Hi All, just wanted to chime in. I took the above work order to the dealership a couple of months ago. They did the work yet the clicking still remains. What's really troubling is that they supposedly test drove my car. They didn't. I still have the same clicking sound like others report. Nothing new, nothing fixed. I just can't get over the idea of a car like this making that kind of sound. A Kia? Yes. Dae Woo, certainly. Benz? Really?

Otherwise, an incredible car.
The foreman tested with the car hood opened and "jogs" along the left side identifying the left clicking noises from the hydraulic pump. I did that with my wife at the wheel and "jogged" the same to listens to it .

It's the hydraulic pump that makes those sickening "about 10 clicks" once we reached 12k rpm and it's over once it performed the test.

How about let's gang up and declares it's LEMON!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM

E 350 Coupe
Yeah, it seems that when i take my car in to the dealership, I'm the only one that cares. Sloppy, redundant work. So, the jogging thing, yeah, did that too. Along with about 30 other things...

As for the "lemon" comment: here in California there's some pretty tough laws regarding such. Quite honestly, there should already be a TSB and they (MB) should be embarrassed. The incessant looks of bewilderment on the dealership's part is worrying as well. At this point how many more people will complain about an obvious design flaw and how many more shop hours will be needlessly be taken or even billed before they care or get sued? I think there's a better chance of me sprouting wings and flying to the sun.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 PM

e350 convertible
Originally Posted by Crudler

Thanks
Here is what they repaired to my car for those sickening noise.

Bearing on both torque struts replace, rubber bushielastomeric and following is their comments:

5787 noisy road test perform. Found knocking/creeking noise when turning and in reverse. Performed L133. 15-P-047471. Replaced torque strut bushing with new hydro mount due to noisy. Install additional boot covers on bushing since the old ones doesn't have one to begin with. Test drive with service advicer several times found no additional noise when turning.

5787 noisy found suspension is noisy at the front right going over bumps. Retorque right side suspension and struts.