E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My New 2012 E350 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
My New 2012 E350 Coupe

Hi Everyone:

Took delivery on Monday, August 1, two weeks earlier than the target dates. Car was ordered June 15. I could have picked it up last week, but I wasn't able to get to the dealer that soon.

For those of you who have asked for pictures, especially of the new red/black leather interior, please bear with me. I have tried to get good interior shots, I've played with my photo editing software, etc., but try as I might, I have not been able to render the TRUE hues of the new U.S. red. I will keep trying to improve it and, when I know I can't do better, I'll post what I have. Suffice to say, the actual color, which is called "Merlot," does not look exactly like internet photos, including what you'll see on the mbusa.com website. I guess there are too many variables when viewing photos on line. It is beautiful. Deeper than the bright red of the C Coupe pictures I've seen. And, of course, it looks different under different lighting condition. As you may know, there is an abundance of light inside the car if you want it, thanks to the pano roof. However, for anyone contemplating ordering this color combo, I strongly recommend you try to see it in person first.

I'll also post my driving impressions as time passes. Based on the 25 mile drive home from the dealer, I can unequivocably state this car is not like the 2010 version in some important ways. I must admit, however, I only spent about 2 1/2 hours driving a 2010 E350C upon which to base a comparison.

This car is quick! It feels more lively and energetic. The engine seems a bit louder on acceleration - not objectionable. The new transmission is smooth as silk with virtually no feeling of gear changes, especially in E driving mode, and it seems noticably more responsive to the driver's wishes. The new motor idles perfectly, with no vibration or even a sense it's running - contrary to some rumors. In fact, the entire car feels very silky and exudes a strong sense of quality - a logical extension of traits well-established by the 2010-11 versions.

Well, silky except for the ride. As I expected, the Sport suspension rides hard. The car came through with the P Zero Nero tires; as many of you know, they are not the best for ride quality. A change may be in order in the future.

The trade-off for the harsh ride appears to be supurb handling that inspires confidence. Unlike my '10 test drives, this car stays put on the road - no wandering, even with those funky P Zero's. The steering does not feel as light as the '10 either. Don't know if MB played with the steering or not for the '12. Again, it would be unfair for me to make firm judgments on the 2010's based upon so little experience with them - and no experience at all driving an '11.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. I don't want to make any serious judgments about the car until I've gotten some serious miles on it.

I will make one judgment though, these cars are flat out gorgeous. In my neck of the woods they are uncommon and they really stand out from the pack. It's nice to be stared at again.

Below is a teaser, just to prove I'm not making this all up.

I've received so much help on here prior to ordering from those of you more knowledgeable than I and I am happy to respond to any questions or concerns anyone may have.

Just give me a bit of time to do so. There must be a universal law or something that causes people to become sidetracked by "important" matters in direct proportion to the desire for play time.
Attached Thumbnails My New 2012 E350 Coupe-my-new-2012-e350c-003x800.jpg   My New 2012 E350 Coupe-my-new-2012-e350c-013x800.jpg  

Last edited by BenzMan369; 08-03-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Looks great, enjoy!

There is only one standard red leather offering (Flamenco Red, code 257) globally. So yours is the same as what has always been offered in Canada and the rest of the world.

Also, the steering did change (electrohydraulic now), so that would account for some of the difference you noticed there.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Looks great, enjoy!

There is only one standard red leather offering (Flamenco Red, code 257) globally. So yours is the same as what has always been offered in Canada and the rest of the world.

Also, the steering did change (electrohydraulic now), so that would account for some of the difference you noticed there.
Thanks for the feedback.

Re the leather, it was the New Car Manager who told me this color is called Merlot in the U.S. - and he believed it was not the same as across the pond, etc. But, yes, it is Code 257. Proves you can't make valid color comparisons through computer monitors and from varying websites. In any event, I am relieved it's actually deeper in person than it appeared on line.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
Congratulations Al, looks very nice indeed! I think the leather that you've got looks great as you were wanting a deeper red than the bright shade, but then I may be a *little* bit biased in that respect

I imagine you'll be spending many more hours just driving for driving's sake, I still do now and I've had mine for 7 months never fails to put a smile on my face as I'm sure yours does for you.

Hope you're enjoying it, how are you finding the newer gearbox? I think they're flawless in comparison to the older 'boxes with pulling off from a standing start and just generally the responsiveness whilst cruising when you want that extra bit to get you past whatever is in the way!!

Btw... more pictures please! I can stare at these cars all day long, they're a masterpiece in my eyes!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200C-Fully loaded, Obsidian Black, ILS, Panoramic roof and some other bits and pieces.
Congrats mate,

Youve got yours sooner than me
Mine will be Delivered Sep 6.
Will post loads of photos, Ive got same color combo But my engine is a tiny 200 CGI compared to your 350 but Ive got the AMG package hehehe
Nab, do you think its a good idea to get the B20S tuning for my 200 CGI?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
Congratulations Al, looks very nice indeed! I think the leather that you've got looks great as you were wanting a deeper red than the bright shade, but then I may be a *little* bit biased in that respect

I imagine you'll be spending many more hours just driving for driving's sake, I still do now and I've had mine for 7 months never fails to put a smile on my face as I'm sure yours does for you.

Hope you're enjoying it, how are you finding the newer gearbox? I think they're flawless in comparison to the older 'boxes with pulling off from a standing start and just generally the responsiveness whilst cruising when you want that extra bit to get you past whatever is in the way!!

Btw... more pictures please! I can stare at these cars all day long, they're a masterpiece in my eyes!
Hello Nab:

Many thanks for the good wishes. And my thanks to you again. You are one of the great people on here without whom I wouldn't be at this point.

I've been so bogged down since getting the car, I've added almost nothing to the odometer. That will change this weekend for sure!

I could not have said it any better than you. Just opening the garage door puts that smile on my face.

Not to be redundant but, to be redundant, I've got so few miles on it I hesitate to make judgments. But, yes, the trans. has a marvelous feel to it. The car is eager to please - surprisingly responsive even in E mode and, when in Sport mode, it literally jumps off the line with little motivation from the accelerator. The motor/trans. combo seems to provide a strong torque band in just the right range for everyday driving, with the trans. downshifting quickly and seamlessly. Mostly very smooth indeed. Again, I need to experiment more. Lot's more, heehee.

I cannot imagine what the new D.I. 550 will be like, but I suspect folks who buy them may want to stock up on rear tires.

I do have more pix. Just want to run them through the photo editor first and then will post.

As for the leather color. From YYZ's post above, it seems there really may be no difference in the red color worldwide. If so, then perceived differences must be due to internet photo rendering, monitor differences and/or other variables. I'm glad the color in person is darker than what I've seen on line. Admittedly though, the degree of "brightness" does change, corresponding to the amount of light hitting it. Whatever, it's fine. It's a great match for a black coupe with sporty intentions.

BTW, sitting a few feet away in the showroom from my car was a 2012 U.S. version of the E350 Cab, white, black top and red leather interior - top down and beautiful leather showing. A great looking car but, I must say, your mods. are what make it truly stunning.

I stared at the white cab for a few minutes trying to figure out why for some reason it didn't look quite right to me. Then it dawned on me: the steering wheel was on the wrong side!

More to come.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Xaniar
Congrats mate,

Youve got yours sooner than me
Mine will be Delivered Sep 6.
Will post loads of photos, Ive got same color combo But my engine is a tiny 200 CGI compared to your 350 but Ive got the AMG package hehehe
Nab, do you think its a good idea to get the B20S tuning for my 200 CGI?
Many thanks Xaniar. Hey, good things are worth waiting for. This car is one goooooood thing. Yours will be there soon. I was surprised this one came early.

On the plus side to your additional waiting, perhaps yours will have the 6 disc changer in the dash by the time it's built. Mine, having been built earlier, has the single disc player. The tsunami strikes again! That's OK, I plan on taking full advantage of the new 10gb built-in hard drive to record everything once and not play with audio discs thereafter. The tradeoff for not getting the changer was a $400 reduction in the package price - the so-called "Launch Edition" of the P2 package here. If and when the changers are available again, the price will go back up.

Re the AMG package, I believe the new straight DRL's on the E350A and C are actually designed to better fit the AMG lower front bumper treatment we in the U.S. can only get on the 550A or C. That's why there's a small gap to the inner sides of the DRL's evident in the picture I posted. If I'm correct, your car should look perfect in that area, with the sexy AMG lower trim.

Can't wait to see your pix. Just as Nab said, I can't get enough of pictures of these one-of-a-kind lookers.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 PM

2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Congrats BenzMan369!!

Car looks just great. Enjoy it.

Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Hi Everyone:

Took delivery on Monday, August 1, two weeks earlier than the target dates. Car was ordered June 15. I could have picked it up last week, but I wasn't able to get to the dealer that soon.

For those of you who have asked for pictures, especially of the new red/black leather interior, please bear with me. I have tried to get good interior shots, I've played with my photo editing software, etc., but try as I might, I have not been able to render the TRUE hues of the new U.S. red. I will keep trying to improve it and, when I know I can't do better, I'll post what I have. Suffice to say, the actual color, which is called "Merlot," does not look exactly like internet photos, including what you'll see on the mbusa.com website. I guess there are too many variables when viewing photos on line. It is beautiful. Deeper than the bright red of the C Coupe pictures I've seen. And, of course, it looks different under different lighting condition. As you may know, there is an abundance of light inside the car if you want it, thanks to the pano roof. However, for anyone contemplating ordering this color combo, I strongly recommend you try to see it in person first.

I'll also post my driving impressions as time passes. Based on the 25 mile drive home from the dealer, I can unequivocably state this car is not like the 2010 version in some important ways. I must admit, however, I only spent about 2 1/2 hours driving a 2010 E350C upon which to base a comparison.

This car is quick! It feels more lively and energetic. The engine seems a bit louder on acceleration - not objectionable. The new transmission is smooth as silk with virtually no feeling of gear changes, especially in E driving mode, and it seems noticably more responsive to the driver's wishes. The new motor idles perfectly, with no vibration or even a sense it's running - contrary to some rumors. In fact, the entire car feels very silky and exudes a strong sense of quality - a logical extension of traits well-established by the 2010-11 versions.

Well, silky except for the ride. As I expected, the Sport suspension rides hard. The car came through with the P Zero Nero tires; as many of you know, they are not the best for ride quality. A change may be in order in the future.

The trade-off for the harsh ride appears to be supurb handling that inspires confidence. Unlike my '10 test drives, this car stays put on the road - no wandering, even with those funky P Zero's. The steering does not feel as light as the '10 either. Don't know if MB played with the steering or not for the '12. Again, it would be unfair for me to make firm judgments on the 2010's based upon so little experience with them - and no experience at all driving an '11.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. I don't want to make any serious judgments about the car until I've gotten some serious miles on it.

I will make one judgment though, these cars are flat out gorgeous. In my neck of the woods they are uncommon and they really stand out from the pack. It's nice to be stared at again.

Below is a teaser, just to prove I'm not making this all up.

I've received so much help on here prior to ordering from those of you more knowledgeable than I and I am happy to respond to any questions or concerns anyone may have.

Just give me a bit of time to do so. There must be a universal law or something that causes people to become sidetracked by "important" matters in direct proportion to the desire for play time.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Thank You Sir!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Cadillac Escalade
Wow...beautiful...So is the Red leather an updgrade..or simply a standard color for the 2012's? Also, what are the MPG figures for the 2012 E350's.?
airlaird
Old 08-06-2011, 02:25 PM

2012 BMW F30 (328i) Sport Line
Al,

Congrats the car! Tt's just absolutely gorgeous. You have been thinking maybe I should spring for the E :P Post more pictures when you can!

Ryan
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by airlaird
Wow...beautiful...So is the Red leather an updgrade..or simply a standard color for the 2012's? Also, what are the MPG figures for the 2012 E350's.?
airlaird
Many thanks airlaird.

Red leather is a standard color for 2012 and, for now, there is no premium version of it.

Very good question re the MPG figures. Some confusion is evident. Originally, the estimated EPA figures were projected to be 18/27. When they were initially posted on mbusa.com, they were 17/24 in one place and 18/27 in another.

The window sticker that came on the car says 17/24!! I believe it is wrong or a preliminary estimate, since the official EPA website does not even list this model yet.

What I can say is that the fuel consumption estimate read from the on-board Trip computer with each fresh start is giving me almost identical figures as my old CLK320. That car had a 215hp V6 and 5 speed trans. Around town suburban driving got me between 17-22 mpg. On the highway 26-30mpg.

If in fact the new E350 is actually duplicating those figures, I'll be a very happy guy, considering the car is bigger, heavier, and much more powerful and responsive, thanks to the significantly larger 302hp D.I. engine, a whole lot more torque and 7 speed trans.

I'll have a better idea after I refuel and start keeping tabs on mileage through subsequent refuelings.

Last edited by BenzMan369; 08-07-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 AM

BMW X5 and getting a 2012 E Coupe
Congrat BenzMan369, btw, what price did you get? I am getting a E350 coupe this week too, so I want to figure out a good price, thanks man
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by ericw2k
Congrat BenzMan369, btw, what price did you get? I am getting a E350 coupe this week too, so I want to figure out a good price, thanks man
Thank you.

Please see my response in your other thread.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
How is the rear visability? I've always folded down the rear headrests on my C & CLK coupes but it doesn't look like you can do that in the E?

Do the rear seats fold flat?

Last edited by ambit; 08-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by ambit
How is the rear visability? I've always folded down the rear headrests on my C & CLK coupes but it doesn't look like you can do that in the E?

Do the rear seats fold flat?

For some reason, I'm not finding the rear seatbacks/headrests as intrusive in the rear window as my old CLK. I feel I can see everything fairly well.

In addition, the car has excellent visibility to the rear thanks to the rear-view camera and a relatively large Comand System color screen. Of course, the car has to be in reverse for the camera to operate. And it takes some getting used to, to be looking forward at the dash screen while backing up. I think you should really try to keep a direct eye on the back too, as best as possible.

Having driven a CLK320 for many years, this car has far superior visibility to the sides in general and especially to the left and right rear sides. This is due to the lack of a "B" pillar and also to the window design along the sides and toward the rear. Not sure how it compares to newer CLK's, which I think also did not have a "B" pillar(?).

Short answer, visibility all around is very good.

I'll have to check to see if the rear seats fold flat all the way. They DO fold 60/40.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:57 PM

Thought there was going to be a headlight change, hmmm congrats either way! I was hoping for a bigger facelift.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Thanks very much TT.

No, the only front lighting change of which I am aware on the '12's is the new straight-line DRL's. On the rear, the license license plate light is now LED.

The biggest change is the all new drivetrain. Brand new engine and updated and improved trans. Those changes are significant.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 AM

*coughs* more pictures *coughs*
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
*coughs* more pictures *coughs*
Hi Nab:

Kind of felt like I was monopolizing this thread a bit. Great to see you active.

I was thinking how interesting it would be if we could get your cab and my coupe together, mate them and see what we got! I don't know much about the laws of heredity, but I suppose it would have red leather for sure! As well as a 600 page Owner's Manual with double the number of MB legal-eagle inspired warnings.

Is the Alpina strictly a Euro model? I don't remember seeing them over here. Absolutely beautiful finish after all that work. Speaking of which, my black one no longer looks as pristine as it did sitting briefly in the showroom before driving away with it. I'm shocked! Why didn't they remind me black needs work?

Best wishes.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Hey Al hope you're keeping well

Haha the love child of our two cars would almost certainly would have red leather! How are you finding that? I think it's excellent, doesn't look like it's wearing at all and looks as good as the day I got it whereas lighter tones blemish and mark a lot easier. Haven't been around for a while to be fair took a longer than planned vacation which was a total blast but back to reality now! In other news the wheels are back on and look great, not quite like they were before but I actually prefer the new finish.

The Alpina I think it is only an Euro model which is a shame really I think they'd sell really well in the Americas, not sure why they're not offered to be honest it's a case of when they're ordered the base car is pulled off the B-M-W (no search tags in here for that!! ) production line then stripped down so far and rebuilt by Alpina - the VIN numbers are changed with two lines being put through the old ones and new Alpina stamped ones next to them. It's a more grown up derivative of a performance B-M-W than say an M-car. They have to be imported over to the UK and there's only one dealership that have the rights to do so - fortunately they're round the corner from me in Nottingham!

That's one of the reasons I didn't go for black it was a nightmare keeping my SLK350 clean but then white is just as bad, there's a certain satisfaction with making your car nice and shiny though! Hope you're enjoying your new car, it is lovely! Really surprised about reading on the oil consumption but it's not something that I think would take any enjoyment from the ownership experience
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Hey Al hope you're keeping well

Haha the love child of our two cars would almost certainly would have red leather! How are you finding that? I think it's excellent, doesn't look like it's wearing at all and looks as good as the day I got it whereas lighter tones blemish and mark a lot easier. Haven't been around for a while to be fair took a longer than planned vacation which was a total blast but back to reality now! In other news the wheels are back on and look great, not quite like they were before but I actually prefer the new finish.

The Alpina I think it is only an Euro model which is a shame really I think they'd sell really well in the Americas, not sure why they're not offered to be honest it's a case of when they're ordered the base car is pulled off the B-M-W (no search tags in here for that!! ) production line then stripped down so far and rebuilt by Alpina - the VIN numbers are changed with two lines being put through the old ones and new Alpina stamped ones next to them. It's a more grown up derivative of a performance B-M-W than say an M-car. They have to be imported over to the UK and there's only one dealership that have the rights to do so - fortunately they're round the corner from me in Nottingham!

That's one of the reasons I didn't go for black it was a nightmare keeping my SLK350 clean but then white is just as bad, there's a certain satisfaction with making your car nice and shiny though! Hope you're enjoying your new car, it is lovely! Really surprised about reading on the oil consumption but it's not something that I think would take any enjoyment from the ownership experience
Love child indeed!!

Thanks for the Alpina info. A very exclusive car. I would think you don't "meet yourself" coming in the other direction very often.

I too am very pleased with the red leather. And everyone who sees the car for the first time says the same thing - very sporty with the black paint.

The new steering wheel with a little aluminum trim also matches perfectly with this interior which, as you know, has a little aluminum trim of its own.

Maybe it's just the exhuberance of a new relationship, but I am finding very little to carp about with the car. Well, there is the ride compliance, but I knew that going in. And I must say, the trade-off in rock-solid stability, quickness and preciseness of the handling, steering, and braking are impressive.

All of this is in comparison, of course, to the old CLK.

Accelerator response is truly impressive throughout a broad range of driving speeds, even in E mode and more so in S. It's early on but, so far, fuel mileage seems about the same as the CLK, amazing for a 302 vs. 215hp motor and larger, heavier chassis. The car just feels "eager to please" nearly all the time.

I know it will be a great road car for long-distance cruising; it's so comfortable in the well-designed, customizable seats. I say "will be" because we have been living through god-awful weather. Virtually all of August was a monsoon season, capped off by a rare hurricane!

I completely forgot about your wheels situation. Glad it's straightened out now to the best of their ability. Please post some pix if convenient; I'd like to see what they did. I sprung for the tires/wheels replacement/refinishing package. Not at all characteristic of me to buy that type of coverage (I'm too cheap), but I've read so many stories in these forums about how easily they can be damaged and the coverage does seem to be extensive. I know your damage was not caused by a road hazard though.

We're going into our Labor Day holiday weekend here, but I am homebound. It was pre-ordained that I would be doing the cookout this year. Some folks simply have no respect for the exercise a new Benz requires to stay fit.

Al