E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E coupe 2012 rough shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350coupe
E coupe 2012 rough shifting

Hi guys i just picked my e coupe before 2 weeks but i noticed rough shifting from second gear to third and first to second in e mode . Im wondring guys do notice that ? plus when i put car on reverse sometimes i hear carcking sound or something like that. Trrrrrtrrrrrrtrr . Sorry if my english not that good
Old 09-12-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
Hey there and welcome to the forums, which model E-Coupe do you have? The smaller engined cars before 2012 model year have the 5-speed auto 'box which is usually pretty good, the others have the 7-speed which can sometimes play up. The best thing to do is to go back to your dealership and get them to reset and update the gearbox software see if that helps.

I had to do that a few weeks after I got mine so worth a try.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
I have a 2011 Cab and I have had no issues at all. Smooth transition. I do suggest a dealer visit and have them drive the car with you so they do not think your nuts... LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
2012 E350 Coupe here with the newly updated 7speed trans.

Additional comments:

There can be a learning curve with a brand new Benz with these trans. They are "adaptive" and will change shifting characteristics after they "see" what your driving style is.

I found that to be true with mine, placed in service August 1. At first, it was a little bumpy in E mode, but it smoothed out beautifully with some miles.

I don't drive much in Sport mode, so it's still a bit bumpier than E mode. Also, I think you'll normally feel shifts more in S mode, since the gear shift points and times held in gears are designed for increased performance.

Nevertheless, cracking sounds are never good and the observations you report here should definitely be checked out by the dealer, per Nab's and Mikey08's comments.

Please let us know the results after dealer visit.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 AM

2011 E250 CGI Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
Hey there and welcome to the forums, which model E-Coupe do you have? The smaller engined cars before 2012 model year have the 5-speed auto 'box which is usually pretty good, the others have the 7-speed which can sometimes play up. The best thing to do is to go back to your dealership and get them to reset and update the gearbox software see if that helps.

I had to do that a few weeks after I got mine so worth a try.
oh? i didnt know the 5 speed has less problems than the 7 speed, i just bought the 5speed e250cgi coupe and when i heard that the 2012 e250cgi is gna get the 7speed i was really disappointed. but it great to hear that the 5speed's better! haha.

btw my 5speed hasnt been the best so far, sometimes when i decelerate gently for the red light it might downshift suddenly at the wrong time causing the car to jerk( the same effect as it i stomp the brakes), had it for 5 mths now been to the dealer twice to reset the gearbox software or sth like that, but after a few days of driving after the reset, the problem always comes back occasionally

anyone else have this problem with the 5 speed?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
The 5G isn't without its problems either I originally ordered an E250CDI with the 5G but it was badly delayed because of firstly "gearbox problems" which the dealer wouldn't tell me any more about then secondly there was the BlueEfficiency injector problems so I just switched my order for a 350CDI with the 7G.

The 2012 models get the 7G Plus on all engines which is on a different level to the old 7G and 5G 'boxes, driven a 250CDI back to back with 5G and 7G+ and it's a totally different car. Drove a W212 Saloon with the 350CDI & 7G+ then went back to my D6 with 7G and the new set up is a lot better but I've been able to adapt my driving style to the set up I'm running and I'm happy with that, I always ask for the newest gearbox software whenever I take my car in anyway.

If you keep having issues with the gearbox jerking in downshifting then keep asking for the new software, if it doesn't fix it and there's no fix for it then see if they will sort you out a new car, it has been done by a few over here.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM

2011 E250 CGI Coupe
ohh... i thought the 2011 and 2012 uses the same 7g tronic. thanks for the info tho,

anyway they would replace a new car for us?? wow didnt know such things are possible haha, well i'll just keep updating whtever new software they have then and hopefully it all works out.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
......The 2012 models get the 7G Plus on all engines which is on a different level to the old 7G and 5G 'boxes, driven a 250CDI back to back with 5G and 7G+ and it's a totally different car......
You are spot on Nab!

I keep trying to tell drivers of the 7g iteration how much improved the Plus version is and they don't -or don't want to - believe me. Having also driven both, the 2012 is indeed a "totally different car." And, of course, the 302hp D.I. motor helps somewhat too.

It just seems like the 2012 is always ready to instantly deliver significant bursts of power-speed with a small, quick and smooth downshift, now matter what speed range you're in, with only a rare exception or two.

All of this observed in E mode. In S mode, I have had no rare exceptions, period.