E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bi-Xenon low beam distance complaint...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Bi-Xenon low beam distance complaint...

I have come up with ONE minor complaint about my new E550. The Bi-Xenon low beams do not seem to reach out far enough. The high beams are outstanding but the low beams...not so much. Can the dealer adjust the housing to compensate? Since the lights are self leveling, there must be a way to adjust the cut off points.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2012 E550 Cab
Beat me to it! It is also my one gripe so far, but I haven't had the chance to research it yet.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
Must be something wrong there, my car is an 11MY and I always get other drivers on poorly illuminated roads flashing at me because they think I have my high beams on... so I proceed to blind the F--- out of them... nothing I can do had the alignment checked and there's no issue.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Limited night driving here so far, but no complaints whatsoever with the low beams. And what the low beams won't do, the high beams more than make up for when necessary.

Much better than my Xenon-equipped old CLK, whose low beams, while very bright, had a very sharp vertical cut-off and almost seemed to be aimed annoyingly straight down at the ground. I re-aimed them myself, the dealer would aim them down again at state inspection time, and I'd raise them up again. This battle went on for all the years I had the car.

No such need with my new car's Bi-Xenons.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM

E200C-Fully loaded, Obsidian Black, ILS, Panoramic roof and some other bits and pieces.
Must be something with you car, as Dr-Nab mentioned I get a lot of flashing cars as well as they think I'm driving with my high beams.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I kind of understand what OP was mentioning... Our Bi-Xenon low-beam is actually very effective, yet I guess it has a color temperature which is somwhere close to the amibent lighting color temperature, hence it is not as obvious to our naked eyes -- Try to drive the car in a remote area where there is no other amibent lighting (e.g. street lights, city lights, lights from other cars in traffic, etc.) and I guess our naked eyes could be better able to see how bright the Bi-Xenon low-beam actually is.

Mercedes (as in many modern car companies) also calibrated the low-beam to have a light distribtuion area that wouldn't blind other drivers in the oncoming traffic, thus sometimes it might appear to our eyes that the low-beam didn't throw far enough especially at the driver's side.

With best regards,
Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I kind of understand what OP was mentioning... Our Bi-Xenon low-beam is actually very effective, yet I guess it has a color temperature which is somwhere close to the amibent lighting color temperature, hence it is not as obvious to our naked eyes -- Try to drive the car in a remote area where there is no other amibent lighting (e.g. street lights, city lights, lights from other cars in traffic, etc.) and I guess our naked eyes could be better able to see how bright the Bi-Xenon low-beam actually is.

Mercedes (as in many modern car companies) also calibrated the low-beam to have a light distribtuion area that wouldn't blind other drivers in the oncoming traffic, thus sometimes it might appear to our eyes that the low-beam didn't throw far enough especially at the driver's side.

With best regards,
I live in a rural area and most of my driving is on dark country roads. I do have the adaptive head lights which are well worth the extra cost. The color temperature is fine, it's the cut off point I'm complaining about. I'll have to contact the dealer to see if it's even possible to adjust the lights. The beam projection only needs to be brought up a couple of feet.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 MB
I live in a rural area and most of my driving is on dark country roads. I do have the adaptive head lights which are well worth the extra cost. The color temperature is fine, it's the cut off point I'm complaining about. I'll have to contact the dealer to see if it's even possible to adjust the lights. The beam projection only needs to be brought up a couple of feet.
Understood. I am sure your dealer could do some adjustment on the headlight to suit your need.

Enjoy your E550!