E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Arghh!!! E550c not a reality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Arghh!!! E550c not a reality

I would like to share with everyone the most shocking and unreal experience I had with MB of Tampa, Fl. Back in Nov 2011 I went to this dealership and negotiated a price for a E550c build in diamond white, P2, appearance, etc. I put down my $2000 deposit and was told by the salesman that the car will take about 10 weeks to build from Germany. I asked how the process will go around delivery time and the salesman told me that when the car arrives I'll be contacted. We shook hands and that was that. My wife and I were extremely exciting anticipating the arrival of our new car.

Well, last week was 11 weeks and I have not heard back from MB of Tampa so I called my salesman to inquire on the status of my car (Monday). The salesman said he would call me back in 30 min and let me know. The day went by and no call back. The next day went by and no call back. I didn't want to nag him so waited for the 3rd day to call him back. (Wednesday) On this conversation he told me he found out that there was a delay in the production of my car, but that he could not tell me what it was and how long the delay would be. He also said he couldn't give me any specifics until Friday. After hanging up the phone, I though about what had just happened and became very upset so I called back to speak to someone else at the dealership. I ended up talking to one of their financial managers who told me he would investigate. He called me back soon after to tell me the build on my car was not even started and that he had no idea how long it will take before it gets going. He also told me the reason for the delay is because MB in Germany halted production of that particular car model.

Not happy with all the "answers" they gave me, I called MBUSA and filed a complaint. The customer service rep took my complaint and told me he did not know of any bulletins of delayed e550 production. That following Friday, MB of Tampa called me and instead of giving my deposit back, wanted me to buy another car they felt was close to my build spec. I refused and asked for my deposit back. The salesman did not offer any type of apology. I almost felt like they had the take it or leave it attitude. I refused to purchase this "substitute" car mainly due the belief that a business should conduct themselves with some form of ethics and truthfulness. As a dealership they know when there are production delays or if something major happened to affect their production times. A simple phone call letting me know my car will be delayed was all I needed to hear. Even though I was excited to get my car ASAP, I would have waited 2, 4 or 6 more weeks to get the deal done. The trust was lost when they danced around the truth and not inform me of what's going on until I called them to find out after 11 weeks.

I will be taking my business elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,858 Posts
2012 CLS63
that's a sad story man, but Mercedes are such good cars, I'd reconsider the dealer but not the brand you know?
good luck holms
Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
PM me your salesman's name. I know everyone there and have bought 3 MB's from them in a year and a half... I'm sorry for the bad experience...
Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,858 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by emdem
PM me your salesman's name. I know everyone there and have bought 3 MB's from them in a year and a half... I'm sorry for the bad experience...
LOL, yeah, he'll solve all your problems.........
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
Don't be an a**hole. I know the owners and the dealership's general manager, the least I can do for the guy is bring it to their attention. Wouldn't you want someone to help you if were in the same situation? I didn't say I'd solve his problem, I just think they should be aware. I've had nothing but positive experiences from MBoT; that's not how they treat customers. I'm originally from Tampa, but now live 110 miles away and still buy my cars from them.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
LOL, yeah, he'll solve all your problems.........

Last edited by emdem; 02-12-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Don't be an a**hole.
+1
Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Find another dealer: even if they're out of state. I live in Texas, but bought our E550C from a dealer in Nashville. They were awesome!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM

2010 E550 Coupe
My dealer was realistic when he quoted delivery...I ordered my 2010 E550 coupe in Sept. 2009 and it was delivered in April of 2010.About 6 months....But ,I live in Canada,so winter was a factor in my decision..The 2 dealers i dealt with could not get any earlier delivery dates..Sorry to hear of your problems with this dealer,try someone else...
I'm kinda jealous...you will get to drive this Boss Benz all year round,no problems with snow & ice..(RWD is a pain in winter)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM

2011 E550 Coupe
delayed shipment

So I originally ordered a new C350 and was promised delivery, etc., etc. Months went by with no car....finally they told me the car was "at the dock" to be shipped. I figured a week across the pond, then a week across the US to LA (I live near San Francisco) and then a few days up the coast. So....I figured I'd have my car in a month at the outside. When that didn't happen I asked where it was and they said it was on the ocean - en route from SOUTH AFRICA. Really? That means a month at the Panama Canal, etc., etc.....here in about 4-6 months!!!! Now really - they could have told me the damn thing was being made in South Africa as opposed to Germany (they knew I assumed it was coming from Germany). I was so annoyed I got my money back and went to a different dealer and bought an E550 coupe (2011) with 5000 miles on it the same day. And it was a great decision on my part - I originally thought the E would not fit in the garage, but shuffling stuff around made it happen - it's an excellent car and I love it much more than I would have the C (and it is amazingly good looking).

Last edited by jerryb2339; 02-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Ok guys/gals thanks for all the advice and support. After the bad experience I told myself forget about Mercedes and started looking at other cars. I looked at Audi (S5) and BMW (335is and 550i) models. I'm glad I took the time to visit those dealerships because I then realized I really want a Mercedes E550c. I was not excited at all with the S5. The BMWs were really nice but it was hard for me to tell the 3 and 5 series exterior apart. They just didn't make me say "Wow!"

So in search for another e550c I stumbled upon another dealership which was very helpful in locating a car for me. Diamond white, almond/mocha(i can live with this combo. it's very nice), appearance, wood trim pkg, driver assistance pkg, spoiler and P2. I really didnt care for the dr assistance pkg but oh well. I got a much better discount this time around than the first attempt. I should be able to pick the car up next week. I'll definitely post pics next week if everything goes well.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
Originally Posted by mbnoob001
Ok guys/gals thanks for all the advice and support. After the bad experience I told myself forget about Mercedes and started looking at other cars. I looked at Audi (S5) and BMW (335is and 550i) models. I'm glad I took the time to visit those dealerships because I then realized I really want a Mercedes E550c. I was not excited at all with the S5. The BMWs were really nice but it was hard for me to tell the 3 and 5 series exterior apart. They just didn't make me say "Wow!"

So in search for another e550c I stumbled upon another dealership which was very helpful in locating a car for me. Diamond white, almond/mocha(i can live with this combo. it's very nice), appearance, wood trim pkg, driver assistance pkg, spoiler and P2. I really didnt care for the dr assistance pkg but oh well. I got a much better discount this time around than the first attempt. I should be able to pick the car up next week. I'll definitely post pics next week if everything goes well.

Please allow me to intrique you in a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Just read a little about them on the internet, go see one in person IF your local Jeep dealership has one in their showroom. You'll fall in love with it.

I foregoed my 2011 E550C for the 2012 GCSRT8!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
I am glad you are happy with your SUV, but I don't see the point in your post. No disrespect intended. My intention was to purchase a nice sport/luxury coupe, not an SUV. IMO, I much rather drive a "car" chassis than a truck/SUV.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mbnoob001
I am glad you are happy with your SUV, but I don't see the point in your post. No disrespect intended. My intention was to purchase a nice sport/luxury coupe, not an SUV. IMO, I much rather drive a "car" chassis than a truck/SUV.

No offense taken! E550 coupe is alright...just google GCSRT8 and humor me. The "SUV" actually blows the E550 coupe away in 0-60! From someone that have owned both cars, GCSRT8 is much better and it'll save you $$!

Check it out.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Don't be an a**hole.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by ashieh75
No offense taken! E550 coupe is alright...just google GCSRT8 and humor me. The "SUV" actually blows the E550 coupe away in 0-60! From someone that have owned both cars, GCSRT8 is much better and it'll save you $$!

Check it out.
Really?
this is from a magazine performance test: "the performance meter told us that this particular Grand Cherokee SRT8 could reach 60 mph in 5.2 seconds"

It might beat a 2011 or older E550C (or might not: from Road and Track: 2010 E550C capable of ripping off consistent 0–60 runs of 4.7 seconds and searing through the quarter mile in 13.1 sec. at 108.9 mph.)
but I seriously doubt it would do that to a 2012. The 2012 CLS550 has the same engine as a "12 E550C and the CLS weighs several hundred pounds more: 2012 CLS550 has been timed at 4.3 secs 0-60 by more than one magazine.

End of rant and please enjoy your SRT8

Last edited by Dueclaws; 02-19-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Really?
I don't usually care about posts like yours or respond, but this is from a magazine performance test: "the performance meter told us that this particular Grand Cherokee SRT8 could reach 60 mph in 5.2 seconds"

It might (or might not) beat a 2011 or older E550C, but I seriously doubt it would do that to a 2012. The 2012 CLS550 has the same engine as a "12 E550C and the CLS weighs several hundred pounds more: 2012 CLS550 has been timed at 4.3 secs 0-60 by more than one magazine.

This isn't rocket science. Just look at the power to weight ratio. A 2012 E550 coupe has a 16.8% advantage aside from getting about 50% better mileage.

The only advantage the Jeep might have is on a poor traction surface due to it's all wheel drive but this is usually a disadvantage for straight line acceleration due to the additional drive train power loss. That is precisely why you see 0 purpose built drag cars with all wheel drive.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:39 AM

2011 E550 Coupe
well....hmmmm....a jeep

I really don't want to seem like a snob (altho I might be one). But there is, of course, a huge difference between the experience of a M-B and a Jeep. Now if you just want to talk drag racing - or 0-60 times....I suppose that's valid here....but then again....we can all look at magazines times, etc. and find someone who can go 0.1-.2 seconds faster at any given time in a given vehicle. That may be why you buy a Jeep.....but really.....

By the way, when comparing M-B with BMWs: keep in mind WHY you get "free" service when you buy a BMW: because the BMW people are wonderful people? Uh...no. You have that cost included in your purchase price because no one would come back to BMW if they had to pay for all the warranty and service costs that happen when you buy a BMW.

I live in Marin County where BMWs sell better than Chevys....and the instance of re-purchase (buying another one) is EXTREMELY low. The quality of build just isn't there (although the engines and suspensions are great when they aren't broken).

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Really?
this is from a magazine performance test: "the performance meter told us that this particular Grand Cherokee SRT8 could reach 60 mph in 5.2 seconds"

It might beat a 2011 or older E550C (or might not: from Road and Track: 2010 E550C capable of ripping off consistent 0–60 runs of 4.7 seconds and searing through the quarter mile in 13.1 sec. at 108.9 mph.)
but I seriously doubt it would do that to a 2012. The 2012 CLS550 has the same engine as a "12 E550C and the CLS weighs several hundred pounds more: 2012 CLS550 has been timed at 4.3 secs 0-60 by more than one magazine.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Yeah, it's a long shot to convince MB enthusiasts to buy into a "Jeep". Afterall, when you say, "hey I got a Benz", it definitely has a lot more flare than "hey, I drive a Jeep!"

We buy MB because it's attached to "prestige" persona and perhaps more white collar feel, while Jeep sounds more for blue collar folks. I get it.

I just know, having owned both cars, the new Jeep GC SRT8 is miles beyond the E550C (and my old E550C ain't half bad either) in comfort, amenities, performance, and price. Just like when magazines compares the GCSRT8 versus BMW X5, MB ML, Porsche Cayennes, Jeep often come out on top. For second, third, and beyond opinions, my colleagues (medical professionals) and lady friends whom all have seen my E550C, they ALL said, they love the Jeep better than the E. Just saying...

I believe if any of you would actually see, drive, and witness the beast, you "MAY" just change your mind a little. Afterall, when it's said and done, it's still a Jeep. I understand. E550C is OK, it's not that all cracked up to be.

Be warned though, resale value of the E550C is HORRIBLE! You'll spend $60-70K on it brand new and will loose big if/when you go sell it even if it's only less than one year old.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Mercedes E
Don't be an a**hole.
+1453
Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
ashieh75:
I have ask..... Why are you so feverishly shilling for Jeep on MB forum??? Without passing judgement on your choice of vehicles, I find comparing Jeep to Mercedes a bit like comparing Rosie O'Donnell to Gisele Bundchen.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by ashieh75
Yeah, it's a long shot to convince MB enthusiasts to buy into a "Jeep". Afterall, when you say, "hey I got a Benz", it definitely has a lot more flare than "hey, I drive a Jeep!"

We buy MB because it's attached to "prestige" persona and perhaps more white collar feel, while Jeep sounds more for blue collar folks. I get it.

I just know, having owned both cars, the new Jeep GC SRT8 is miles beyond the E550C (and my old E550C ain't half bad either) in comfort, amenities, performance, and price. Just like when magazines compares the GCSRT8 versus BMW X5, MB ML, Porsche Cayennes, Jeep often come out on top. For second, third, and beyond opinions, my colleagues (medical professionals) and lady friends whom all have seen my E550C, they ALL said, they love the Jeep better than the E. Just saying...

I believe if any of you would actually see, drive, and witness the beast, you "MAY" just change your mind a little. Afterall, when it's said and done, it's still a Jeep. I understand. E550C is OK, it's not that all cracked up to be.

Be warned though, resale value of the E550C is HORRIBLE! You'll spend $60-70K on it brand new and will loose big if/when you go sell it even if it's only less than one year old.

Of course you like your Jeep; afterall its based on the MB ML. And what about your Lambo; Audi has improved reliability tremendously.
And in case Audi reliability lets you down you always have the fallback of letting your MB tow it back to the dealership.

Now that we got that out of the way, you liking German engineered vehicles, lets please quit with the who likes what in your circle.

This thread was started by a MB enthusiast about his experience with a MB dealership. Lets therefore stay on topic.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 147 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Pity it is the non MB crap on the Jeep that is so awful. Fit, finish, quality of plastics, assembly etc. & fugly!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Of course you like your Jeep; afterall its based on the MB ML. And what about your Lambo; Audi has improved reliability tremendously.
And in case Audi reliability lets you down you always have the fallback of letting your MB tow it back to the dealership.

Now that we got that out of the way, you liking German engineered vehicles, lets please quit with the who likes what in your circle.

This thread was started by a MB enthusiast about his experience with a MB dealership. Lets therefore stay on topic.
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by srice
ashieh75:
I have ask..... Why are you so feverishly shilling for Jeep on MB forum??? Without passing judgement on your choice of vehicles, I find comparing Jeep to Mercedes a bit like comparing Rosie O'Donnell to Gisele Bundchen.

What's wrong with Rosie O'Donnell?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Arghh!!! E550c not a reality