E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Window Rolldown feature from outside....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe 4Matic, 1956 Chevrolet Convertible, Lexus RX 350
Window Rolldown feature from outside....

I am very pleased with my new E350 Cloupe 4Matic. Only two disappointments so far, compared to my older 2003 Lexus, both of which really are minor. It is interesting though how such simple things can be designed so different from one manufacturer to another.

The first item is the auto down/up for windows. I find that the rear windows are NOT auto up. That blew my mind. In this expensive of a car. The windows you can't easily see while driving are probably more important to be auto up than the others.

The other thing, even more minor really, is the feature to automatically roll down the windows (or up for that matter) from outside the car. The problem is you have to be very close to the car, and from the back, in order for the remote to hit the sensor to do it. Which means you really have to wait to get in in order to accomplish the roll down, and that affords no time for the real benefit of rolling them down early...time for interior heat to escape.

Both of these were not issues on my older Lexus which cost half as much, and is 9 years old.

But, I am very happy with the car, and if that's all there is to complain about, then I should STFU
Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Coupe
How do you roll the windows up or down using the remote? My remote only has lock, unlock and open the trunk. Did I miss something in the owners manual?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM

There is a small black square on the door handle which is a sensor. You can aim the remote at that and hold down the unlock button (keep holding), and all windows will open. They will stop at the point you release the button. It will also open the sunroof. However if you have the shade over it, it first has to open that, so it takes a while.

To close in same manner, hold down the lock button.

But again, you need to be pretty close to the car, and behind (due to the fact the sensor faces more to the back than front).

Given the closeness restriction, I don't find much value in the feature.

By the way, I don't think it is in the owners manual.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
I tried that out. It does indeed roll the windows up and down and also operates the sliding roof blockoff panel. For all I know it may also operate the sliding roof glass but I didn't try this yet.

You are correct it is probably useless for opening the windows but it could be useful when exiting the car and forgetting to roll up the windows or the roof panel. Without this function you would have to get back in the car to operate the appropriate buttons.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM

You are correct. It does roll back the sunroof too.

I agree with your comment about handy for rollup. I do have a habit of getting them closed up somewhat before I"m stopped to get out. That is why I complained about the back windows not being auto up

But...still loving the car.

BTW...I but that 550 is FAST.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
The 550 is fairly quick but not as quick as the car it replaced a C6 Z06. That said the 550 is a lot more civilized, rattle free and in general much better engineered. It is much better as a trip car also with no worries about having a run flat flat with no one within many miles capable of mounting/mounting the tire for repair or running into anything over 3 inches lying on the road.

The Z06 was good at what it was designed for, not so much as a car you would drive around continuously or take on long trips.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by 56Kruiser
I am very pleased with my new E350 Cloupe 4Matic. Only two disappointments so far, compared to my older 2003 Lexus, both of which really are minor. It is interesting though how such simple things can be designed so different from one manufacturer to another.

The first item is the auto down/up for windows. I find that the rear windows are NOT auto up. That blew my mind. In this expensive of a car. The windows you can't easily see while driving are probably more important to be auto up than the others.

The other thing, even more minor really, is the feature to automatically roll down the windows (or up for that matter) from outside the car. The problem is you have to be very close to the car, and from the back, in order for the remote to hit the sensor to do it. Which means you really have to wait to get in in order to accomplish the roll down, and that affords no time for the real benefit of rolling them down early...time for interior heat to escape.

Both of these were not issues on my older Lexus which cost half as much, and is 9 years old.

But, I am very happy with the car, and if that's all there is to complain about, then I should STFU
No pinch sensors on the rear windows so no auto up, or so I've heard. I agree that this seems strange.
I imagine that needing to be within visible range of the car for the outside window/roof open to work is a security feature so that you don't accidentally open up your windows etc if something is pressing down on the button in your pocket/purse. Of course, you could argue the same about unlocking...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dsayed
No pinch sensors on the rear windows so no auto up, or so I've heard. I agree that this seems strange.
I imagine that needing to be within visible range of the car for the outside window/roof open to work is a security feature so that you don't accidentally open up your windows etc if something is pressing down on the button in your pocket/purse. Of course, you could argue the same about unlocking...
Sure, but its more than visible range. I have to be within about 3' for it to work. In fact it seems to not work sometimes.

Would be interesting to see if anyone's works better.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Mine works from at least 4 feet behind the rear bumper pointed in the general direction of the sensor and also if in front of the sensor standing close to the door.

You might try a new battery as your range is severely limited compared to my 2012 E550.

Looking at the fob there is nothing particularly directional about the antenna since it opens door, trunk etc. from a long way off at multiple angles. The low sensitivity for the window operation must be in the driver door sensor. If a new battery doesn't fix your short range then I'd take it in and have them replace the driver side door receiver as it has insufficient gain.

Explaining this to the service people may be like pulling teeth unless they have some spec for the design range of this function.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I tried to roll down the windows from outside the car. All four windows went down quite fast -- in just a few seconds total.

It also automatically turned on the driver's side ventilated seat, which was nice.

Regards,
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Mine works from at least 4 feet behind the rear bumper pointed in the general direction of the sensor and also if in front of the sensor standing close to the door.

You might try a new battery as your range is severely limited compared to my 2012 E550.

Explaining this to the service people may be like pulling teeth unless they have some spec for the design range of this function.
Sounds like good ideas. I'll pursue.

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I tried to roll down the windows from outside the car. All four windows went down quite fast -- in just a few seconds total.

It also automatically turned on the driver's side ventilated seat, which was nice.

Regards,
How close were you to the car, or more specifically, how far from the car can you be to do it?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 56Kruiser
How close were you to the car, or more specifically, how far from the car can you be to do it?
About a car length, and pointed the key to the driver's door.