E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2010 E350 Coupe ownership experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic (W212); previous: 2010 E350 Coupe (C207)
2010 E350 Coupe ownership experience

I bought a 2010 E350 Coupe CPO and had it for just over two years. Normally I keep cars longer, but I could hardly wait to get rid of this one.

PROS
  • It looks good.
  • The Harman/Kardon sound system is great.
  • The navigation screen is well placed and protected from direct sunlight.
  • It was practical for a coupe, it had a good size trunk especially with the rear seats folded down
CONS
  • The worst con was the ride. I found the ride, combined with the hard seats, horrible for a big luxury coupe. Harsh, jiggly and uncomfortable on everything but the smoothest road surface. (I did test drive the car and I sort of noticed the ride but unfortunately it did not really sink in until later how bad it actually was.)
  • Acceleration was delayed and unpredictable. It took 2 to 4 seconds for the car to react after I stepped on the gas; then it suddenly surged. Scary at times, for example when merging into highway traffic.
  • Something constantly creaked in the back of the cabin. The dealer said all coupes did this, and nothing could be done about it.
  • The rain sensing windshield wiper was useless. It did not start operating until I could no longer see through the windshield. The dealer said (without blinking an eye) that's because the rain here is “different than in Germany”.
  • This would not be a big problem if there was a manual intermittent setting for the wiper. But there isn't. In manual mode it is either “no wiping” or “fast wiping.”
  • The “floating dial” of the speedometer is difficult to see with a glance. It is small and blends in with the gray & white color scheme. Not sure why couldn't they at least make it red.
  • About six months in, I hit an average pothole driving at normal speed on a major city road. The side wall of one of the front tires was damaged and the tire had to be replaced. I never before had to buy new tires until the old ones were worn out. $400 to replace a basically brand new tire for no acceptable reason.
  • The Check Engine light came on once. The dealer replaced some sensor in the cooling system under warranty.
  • One of the LED DRLs stopped working. $500 for, basically, changing a light bulb.
  • A drive belt pulley started to chirp and was replaced under warranty. It took the dealer three attempts to find the faulty pulley.
  • The front windows were squeaking against the rubber strip at the top of the door frame when opening or closing. The dealer tried to fix it on three separate occasions (repeating each time the same procedure that had not worked before). Finally they changed the regulators and the weather stripping along the roof-line. The squeaking stopped for about a month, then it resumed.
And then I sold it.

I had a number of cars over the years, I liked some more than others but I could live with each of them. They all did the job and parting with them always involved some emotion. With this one, I was just relieved to see it go.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Sorry for your issues. I have an E350C almost identical to yours.
I'm OK with the seats and the ride. MB has a philosophy that you sit on the seats, not in them.
I solved the delayed acceleration by installing the SprintBooster. Response is immediate.
Rain sensing wipers have not been an issue. They wipe as soon as moisture hits the windshield.
You could have changed the speedometer to digital.

Again, sorry for your issues. You got rid of a nice car.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
like Bob, sorry to hear about your car. my coupe runs like a dream (touch wood). lil creaks from the back i think from the pano especially when cornering on an angle, but doesnt really bother me that much. maybe next time try another dealership. if they cant fix the same problem the second try, they cant fix the problem period. hope its a different experience with the sedan.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 AM

Thanks. People have different expectations and I can see that C63 drivers are OK with the E-coupe's ride.

Looking back, I wish I would have never bought a Mercedes because then I could have maintained a life-long illusion of the brand as well built, comfortable cars. The sedan is still too harsh for me and I am not happy with the seats either so I look forward to selling it and getting something, well, comfortable. Not a German car, obviously.

I have no idea what "luxury" means any more except that it has nothing to do with comfort.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Das Rattlebox
Thanks. People have different expectations and I can see that C63 drivers are OK with the E-coupe's ride.

Looking back, I wish I would have never bought a Mercedes because then I could have maintained a life-long illusion of the brand as well built, comfortable cars. The sedan is still too harsh for me and I am not happy with the seats either so I look forward to selling it and getting something, well, comfortable. Not a German car, obviously.

I have no idea what "luxury" means any more except that it has nothing to do with comfort.
Das... cheer up... you're bringing me down
Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 Coupe
i have a 2014 E550 that I did Euro Delivery on and I have to say that it is the best car I have ever owned. The ride is good, power is incredable and it has all the features I look for in a car of this price point. Some of the other benefits are that I get approached by women who want to talk about hte car pretty frequently. Trust me, it's just about the car. Sorry you don't feel the same way, but I love mine.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kirkster
Some of the other benefits are that I get approached by women who want to talk about hte car pretty frequently.
Remarkable. Where do you find all those women who line up to talk about your car? I had two people compliment me on my car (outside work): a young kid and a homeless dude.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
^ hahaha!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Very true. Most auto journalists seem to equate sporty ride and handling with luxury. Comfortable luxury cars seem to be a dying brand. May be Lincoln or Buick. But they come with their own baggage.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I bought a 2010 E350 Coupe CPO and had it for just over two years. Normally I keep cars longer, but I could hardly wait to get rid of this one.

PROS
  • It looks good.
  • The Harman/Kardon sound system is great.
  • The navigation screen is well placed and protected from direct sunlight.
  • It was practical for a coupe, it had a good size trunk especially with the rear seats folded down
CONS
  • The worst con was the ride. I found the ride, combined with the hard seats, horrible for a big luxury coupe. Harsh, jiggly and uncomfortable on everything but the smoothest road surface. (I did test drive the car and I sort of noticed the ride but unfortunately it did not really sink in until later how bad it actually was.)
  • Acceleration was delayed and unpredictable. It took 2 to 4 seconds for the car to react after I stepped on the gas; then it suddenly surged. Scary at times, for example when merging into highway traffic.
  • Something constantly creaked in the back of the cabin. The dealer said all coupes did this, and nothing could be done about it.
  • The rain sensing windshield wiper was useless. It did not start operating until I could no longer see through the windshield. The dealer said (without blinking an eye) that's because the rain here is “different than in Germany”.
  • This would not be a big problem if there was a manual intermittent setting for the wiper. But there isn't. In manual mode it is either “no wiping” or “fast wiping.”
  • The “floating dial” of the speedometer is difficult to see with a glance. It is small and blends in with the gray & white color scheme. Not sure why couldn't they at least make it red.
  • About six months in, I hit an average pothole driving at normal speed on a major city road. The side wall of one of the front tires was damaged and the tire had to be replaced. I never before had to buy new tires until the old ones were worn out. $400 to replace a basically brand new tire for no acceptable reason.
  • The Check Engine light came on once. The dealer replaced some sensor in the cooling system under warranty.
  • One of the LED DRLs stopped working. $500 for, basically, changing a light bulb.
  • A drive belt pulley started to chirp and was replaced under warranty. It took the dealer three attempts to find the faulty pulley.
  • The front windows were squeaking against the rubber strip at the top of the door frame when opening or closing. The dealer tried to fix it on three separate occasions (repeating each time the same procedure that had not worked before). Finally they changed the regulators and the weather stripping along the roof-line. The squeaking stopped for about a month, then it resumed.
And then I sold it.

I had a number of cars over the years, I liked some more than others but I could live with each of them. They all did the job and parting with them always involved some emotion. With this one, I was just relieved to see it go.

Thank you for posting this. The car is very attractive but I agree the ride quality is not to a Mercedes standard. Part of the problem is that it is built on the C Class chassis and rides accordingly but it is a beautiful car.