E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Just got a 2018 E400 Coupe and I love it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E400 Coupe 2018
Smile Just got a 2018 E400 Coupe and I love it

I have had Mercedes for the last 15 years. I switched from a 2015 C300 and oh boy what a difference this new E400 Coupe is.... Besides the car being stunning, this engine is so plenty powerful for me.

The reason I got this model, is that it has the latest technologies compared to the rest of the MB line-up (except the S Coupe). I am in love with this 3.0 V6 Biturbo engine for my daily commuter car. More powerful engines would be dedicated to my weekend sports car. This is plenty powerful, and I really mean it....

The following 2 users liked this post by Marcio Castilho:
Grey.Coupe (10-10-2017), The_Judge (11-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 cabriolet and 2017 CLS 550
It's a really stunning, elegant car. Congratulations!
Old 10-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 e400 coupe
Congrats!

agreed, despite some of the reviews out there, the car is not lacking power. Sport mode is plenty fast to get my heart pumping.

What color black is your car? Mine is Obsidian black. Your car color looks a bit sharper than mine on the pic.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
Nice car, I picked mine up on Friday and have some questions about the software, does yours have the widescreen cockpit?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by tonynufc
Nice car, I picked mine up on Friday and have some questions about the software, does yours have the widescreen cockpit?
First, congrats! Great car overall. Finding new things on it every day.

Mine has the full scree, P3, etc. I've had lots of issues with the software. Which is odd considering it's the same as the one that's been in the E300 sedan for over a year. Buggy as hell.

At first, being overjoyed with the car in general, it was mildly annoying. It's become really annoying now though and while I didn't want to, I may end up taking it in (though the dealer doesn't seem to know how to fix it - says they haven't heard of these issues because there aren't that many E400's out there yet).

1. My iPod will not work properly. Manual, instructions, everything says it's compatible, never had an issue with my previous 4 Benz's this will simply not work as it should. Takes forever to start playing, once it does it plays a track. If you try to skip...nothing. It will scroll through track titles, but if you select something, nothing happens, then all of a sudden it will just randomly pick one of the tracks you passed and start playing. Then it may not let you scroll. It's almost as though it lags horribly. I have tried everything. Different ports, settings, resets. Blue Tooth works Slightly better, but still same issues.
2. When you start the car it takes a good minute at least to be able to control the radio. The main screen works after about a minute. The side (wheel) control, a bit longer. Again, seems to lag.
3. Sometimes the wheel control will not react to input - then scroll through suddenly. Or it will react to "up" but not "down". Then, it will work fine.
4. Similarly, but less often, the right hand wheel control will be slow - you scroll, and it won't do anything, then it will jump 2- 3 steps.
5. The text app for phone (where you can speak and it dictates a text) is pretty terrible. Slow as hell, buggy, and even if you close all the windows and dead silence, it misunderstands about a third of what you say.

I've also reached out to Benz who just refers me to the dealer.

The car is fantastic. Drives great and it's "cool" to have all of these features, but in a car that relies on the menus and software to do virtually everything, and at the price level of this car, it should just work and work well. So it's nice to have this stuff, but it is so buggy (at least on mine) that it is more frustrating than enjoyable.

I will continue to see if this gets better or worse because some days it works fine (except for the iPod, which never works) and some days not. If it keeps up I'll take it in for service.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
Originally Posted by Loum67
Which is odd considering it's the same as the one that's been in the E300 sedan for over a year. Buggy as hell.
I would suggest you go to the W213 Forum and do a search on the term "navigation". This appears to be an ongoing problem ... one that is quite honestly keeping me from jumping into the E400C4 at the present time. This link is of particular interest:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...avigation.html
The following users liked this post:
Loum67 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by 4MaticCoupe
I would suggest you go to the W213 Forum and do a search on the term "navigation". This appears to be an ongoing problem ... one that is quite honestly keeping me from jumping into the E400C4 at the present time. This link is of particular interest:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...avigation.html
Thanks. After reading that thread, I noted that I also experienced something similar - though to be honest, I thought it was just me - where it said "turn left" and the image onscreen showed a right turn. I rarely use navi, so will have to see.

Trending Topics

Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Mine has the full scree, P3, etc. I've had lots of issues with the software. Which is odd considering it's the same as the one that's been in the E300 sedan for over a year. Buggy as hell...
I recently took my 2016 coupe in regarding a very minor COMAND quirk and I mentioned that I'd heard stories of newer models being very buggy. My service advisor said they could update my software to the current version, but advised against it due to the concerns I expressed; he recommended that I wait for a newer version to be released and see if it's more stable.
Loum67 (10-23-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
Hey guys, just the forum I was looking for. I'm considering replacing my Porsche Cayman GTS fully loaded for a C63 coupe (not the S because it has Alcantara on the wheel, and the E-Diff eats rear brakes), but local dealer doesn't have any. Rented a C63 sedan for a week in Cali and my wife was okay with it. But the coupe is reportedly louder inside the cabin, and also stiffer, which will probably be objectionable for my wife. The only reason I'm considering selling the Porsche is she can't stand it, since I have all performance options, and it's too stiff and loud for her, besides not being able to recline the seat. Since the C63 might be too close to my car, while I have a chance to drive one, I want to drive the E400 coupe, which will arrive shortly to the only local dealer. But have some questions, before even trying it. Here they are:
1. I HATE videogame-like dashes, so I'd only buy it with the P1 package. Since it has no digital dash, and the regular nav (on same 12.3" screen), does that package also have the nav and lag issues of your P2s and P3s???
2. What size tires does the 19" package has?
3. With the AMG line package, does anybody know how does the E400 coupe compares to a C63 sedan with both its regular spring suspension (lowered with AMG line) and the optional air one? My wife is okay with the C63 sedan in comfort mode, so the should be fine with either one of the E400s, but I want the sportier of the 2 suspensions... as long as they're at least equally compliant in comfort mode to a C63 in comfort mode. Hope the regular one is sportier, because prefer not to add more complication to the car, but I'm willing to order the air one if it's reportedly better. The only local car will arrive with the regular one, but with AMG-line and 19s, which is exactly what I'd get.
4. Read a review that criticized the new E400 coupe for too much wind and tire noise. Is that the case? How does it compare to a C63?

Unfortunately, I have to switch from an all-out sports car to something more luxurious. Would have preferred a more powerful engine, but for what I've read, it should be enough with this one. I'm a bit scared to buy a car on its first year, due to numerous issues. And that goes for ALL manufacturers nowadays, unfortunately. I also HATE the tacked-on iPad screens present in most cars lately, hence considering the less sporty E400 coupe instead. I'd be okay if it's less sporty than a C63 sedan, but don't want it that much lower, to the point that taking curves is just no fun. Don't think will have a chance to drive it like that, so will have to rely on your input. Many thanks for your help. Never owned an MB before, and want to own one. Seems like the 63 is not for me anymore. Well, it IS for me, but not for my wife, and don't want it sitting at my garage all the time like the Porsche, so it's time to make accept reality and make a chance. Yes, it sucks getting old, but even though I'm still doing great at 56 (other than cancer, that is. Ha ha), my wife (55), gets dizzy now (0.85G cornering max), and gets strong headaches and hip pain with hard suspensions. Will wait for tests in a few weeks to see what is my prognosis, but if I'm not going to crap out in the very near future, would like to enjoy a few more car trips with my wife. Looking forward to your comments, especially if you were/are in my same situation. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by elp_jc
I also HATE the tacked-on iPad screens present in most cars lately
Me too; that's why I bought a 2016, where it's integrated into the dash like it was in my previous 2011 BMW.
MykhailoM (09-15-2023)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
As you are only at the 'consideration' stage, I offer the following:

Originally Posted by elp_jc
1. I HATE videogame-like dashes, so I'd only buy it with the P1 package. Since it has no digital dash, and the regular nav (on same 12.3" screen), does that package also have the nav and lag issues of your P2s and P3s???
I don't know what the current status is regarding the global constraint on the 12.3 widescreen instrument panel, but if its still in effect the P02/03 package content is still available without it (under the guise of the Q02/03 package)

2. What size tires does the 19" package has?
Depends on whether or not you're going with the staggered/non-staggered variant ... which is also dependent on whether you're considering the straight coupe/4 Matic versions. 245/40R19 front / 275/35R19 rear if staggered - 245/40R19 (presumed) if non-staggered

Would have preferred a more powerful engine, but for what I've read, it should be enough with this one.
Again, if only in the 'consideration' stage ... there is still the possibility of the "rumored" (faux) AMG variant, although it has already gone from an alleged E43 to an E50 (50th anniversary of the AMG brand) to an as yet undesignated E.. based on the new line of in-line sixes just coming on the seen. Don't know how to address this except to continue monitoring publications, as I'm sure your local dealer wouldn't have much of a clue.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 e400 coupe
B/f getting the E400, I test drove the new 718 Cayman S: I wasn't as impressed as I'd thought (and hoped) I'd be. I wanted to get something other than a benz, but the drive was rough and reminded me of my 2007 bmw 335i. Having said that, cornering was absolutely amazing, so I can certainly understand the obsession w/ Porsche.. The roads here in Socal are so bad that I don't think I'd want an ultra sporty car. The E400 in regular mode is NOT sporty as the car feels like it wants to cruise and doesn't wanna go faster. The sports mode is better, but it is no 718 purely b/c of the weight and dimensions of the car. But compared to the e300 sedan, the E400 feels like it has more power esp going uphill (and it does b/c of the v6). At the end of the day, this is a cruiser and not a speedster. I didn't test drive the c63, but I am sure it would drive much closer to the cayman. But if that is the case, then it might be best to just keep the cayman.

I am a big advocate of the air suspension option. I highly recommend comparing via back to back test drives to experience the difference.

As far as wind noise issues, I haven't experienced any issues. I do open the sunroof much more than previous cars, so I guess I hear more wind noise b/c of that

I also don't have Nav issues, but I usually just use my phone for directions, so perhaps I haven't used the Nav enough to notice.

I did have apple carplay connection issues, so I just connect via bluetooth. I can't seem to use wireless charging to charge my iphone 7, but I think its b/c I need to upgrade to the new iphone (so its not an issue w/ the car).

Hope this helps. Best of luck finding the right car.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
Originally Posted by 4MaticCoupe
don't know what the current status is regarding the global constraint on the 12.3 widescreen instrument panel, but if its still in effect the P02/03 package content is still available without it (under the guise of the Q02/03 package).
All E400 come with the 12.3 widescreen panel in the middle, with regular nav. That's what I'd get. Only if you opt for Premium 2 and 3 you get the second 12.3 widescreen for the gauges, which I don't want. Since I wouldn't get the 'command' navigation (don't know the difference), my question was if such a car would be subject to the litany of issues reported by P2 and P3 package owners. Hope I made myself understood now.

And I forgot about the AWD option; sorry. I'd buy the RWD version, so does that mean 245/40R19 front / 275/35R19 rear staggered tires? Sounds good. Thought it'd be the same 235/255 for the stock 18s. Of course no info on MB's crappy website, but now I know. Finally, since the reported 'AMG' E43 (or E50) variant will come with a brand new engine (inline-6 turbo), no way I'd buy it. I'm tired of being the beta-tester of cars, especially with new powertrain components. I'm done with that. So it'd be the E400 coupe or something else. Also don't like it's the first year of the coupe, meaning lots of issues too, especially stupid electronic crap (like all the reported ones here), but at least the engine is several years old, and the 9G tranny one year old. Not ideal, but at least there's a local MB dealer. No Porsche dealer anywhere close, but bought the last year of the 981 platform, and all the nagging issues seem to have been fixed... but it took until 2016 for that. Yeah, the handling is incredible in that car, but I'm perfectly conscious I have to lose that in order to gain a more luxurious ride and less cabin noise. I just don't want to go too far to the other side. I'm looking for a good compromise. And no, the C63, at 4K lbs, is no Cayman, but enough for me. Just don't want to lose too much more than that. We'll see. Hope to test-drive one tomorrow. Thank you again for all the help.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
First, congrats! Great car overall. Finding new things on it every day.

Mine has the full scree, P3, etc. I've had lots of issues with the software. Which is odd considering it's the same as the one that's been in the E300 sedan for over a year. Buggy as hell.

At first, being overjoyed with the car in general, it was mildly annoying. It's become really annoying now though and while I didn't want to, I may end up taking it in (though the dealer doesn't seem to know how to fix it - says they haven't heard of these issues because there aren't that many E400's out there yet).

1. My iPod will not work properly. Manual, instructions, everything says it's compatible, never had an issue with my previous 4 Benz's this will simply not work as it should. Takes forever to start playing, once it does it plays a track. If you try to skip...nothing. It will scroll through track titles, but if you select something, nothing happens, then all of a sudden it will just randomly pick one of the tracks you passed and start playing. Then it may not let you scroll. It's almost as though it lags horribly. I have tried everything. Different ports, settings, resets. Blue Tooth works Slightly better, but still same issues.
2. When you start the car it takes a good minute at least to be able to control the radio. The main screen works after about a minute. The side (wheel) control, a bit longer. Again, seems to lag.
3. Sometimes the wheel control will not react to input - then scroll through suddenly. Or it will react to "up" but not "down". Then, it will work fine.
4. Similarly, but less often, the right hand wheel control will be slow - you scroll, and it won't do anything, then it will jump 2- 3 steps.
5. The text app for phone (where you can speak and it dictates a text) is pretty terrible. Slow as hell, buggy, and even if you close all the windows and dead silence, it misunderstands about a third of what you say.

I've also reached out to Benz who just refers me to the dealer.

The car is fantastic. Drives great and it's "cool" to have all of these features, but in a car that relies on the menus and software to do virtually everything, and at the price level of this car, it should just work and work well. So it's nice to have this stuff, but it is so buggy (at least on mine) that it is more frustrating than enjoyable.

I will continue to see if this gets better or worse because some days it works fine (except for the iPod, which never works) and some days not. If it keeps up I'll take it in for service.

Just to update, I reached out to MB, who of course referred me to my dealer. Dealer called me and wanted to bring it in. I don't want to take the car in just for an iPod issue (which is the worst one), so I'll wait until I have to take it in.

In my view the response from MB and my dealer (who had previously said they'd look at it but they hadn't heard of the problems) was great, I'm just waiting to see if they figure out the problem first before being without the car for a day or two.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if any of you have any insight into a possible solution for the iPod. Benz sells the connection cable - I opted not to get it because the saleperson told me I didn't need it, that it would work with the standard Apple cable. Could it be that I do need MB's iPod/iPhone connection cable? It looks like a standard USB/Apple cable, but could the cable itself be the issue? Just a thought since I hate being without "my Car" even though the dealer is great and brings me a loaner.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Like Marcio, I just bought a 2018 E400, with the P2 package plus a few extras, Indigo blue, all black interior. The car is stunning! And despite the comments of a few naysayers and nitpickers have, I love it! It is a bit overwhelming, however, as the friggin' manual is almost 500 pages!

BTW, I passed on the P3 package — not worth the price of admission, IMHO, for a lot of technology that's in its infancy and which I'd likely never use.