E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Apple Car Play functionality and controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
Apple Car Play functionality and controls

I bought a new 2017 E-class couple with the command on line and wide screen cockpit. I love the car and its amazing to drive, however I am unhappy with the Apple car play controls. Before I collected the Couple the dealer lent me a 2017 wagon with command on line and wide screen cockpit and it worked really well, easy to control from the steering wheel and the rotary
wheel wheel
. Everything was a joy to use but not so in mine.

My question is:- should the software/functionality be the same between different variants of the same car ie Coupe/Sedan/Wagon.

I asked the dealer and they said a software update was needed but nothing they have done has made any difference and they had it in 7 times.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

My coupe was manufactured in September 2017.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Command functionality should be identical between different model variants of the same car in the same model year.
Since you've had the car in 7 times for the same issue, what is the dealer telling you after each service visit?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:30 AM

C238 E220D 4Matic
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Command functionality should be identical between different model variants of the same car in the same model year.
Since you've had the car in 7 times for the same issue, what is the dealer telling you after each service visit?
They said it needed a software update and after five failed attempts they said they had loaded the correct version but it has made no difference.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Well the dealer having to make five attempts to upload the new Command software has me somewhat concerned. If your Command unit is functioning properly, it should have accepted the software install the first time. Being generous, I would have allowed them a second visit and software update attempt. Beyond that, I would begin to suspect there is possibly a problem with the Command unit. At five attempts before they succeeded, I would expect more than one service tech has worked on your vehicle. So you can probably rule out human error in the software upgrade process. Personally I would do the following:
1) Take the car to another MB dealership and explain to them what your dealer has already done and ask them to verify that the new software is indeed installed properly into your Command unit and to run a diagnostic on the Command unit.
2) If the second dealership verifies your Command unit is functioning properly and the new software update is indeed installed properly, then I would ask your original dealer to escalate the issue to MB USA corporate. Seven attempts to correct the same problem is excessive and MB USA may tell your dealer to swap out the Command unit or some other action to try and correct the issue.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 AM

C238 E220D 4Matic
My car is in the garage again as the electric boot has failed. They have lent me a E-Class cab and the car play and command all work perfectly. Is there any way to check which software version is installed in the command and widescreen cockpit?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by tonynufc
My car is in the garage again as the electric boot has failed. They have lent me a E-Class cab and the car play and command all work perfectly. Is there any way to check which software version is installed in the command and widescreen cockpit?
Did you ever take the car to another MB dealership to verify the software update was indeed installed properly and that there were no issues with your Command unit? What did the second MB dealership tell you?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM

C238 E220D 4Matic
Did you ever take the car to another MB dealership to verify the software update was indeed installed properly and that there were no issues with your Command unit? What did the second MB dealership tell you?
Yes, and they have performed another update with the same result, no change. They say they want to change the command system in my car for the one in the cab to see if that fixes the problem, and if that fixes the problem they will order a new one and replace under warranty.

Does anyone know what makes up the command system? is it just the screens or are there other components?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by tonynufc
Yes, and they have performed another update with the same result, no change. They say they want to change the command system in my car for the one in the cab to see if that fixes the problem, and if that fixes the problem they will order a new one and replace under warranty.

Does anyone know what makes up the command system? is it just the screens or are there other components?
Sounds like the second dealership is actually talking about doing legitimate troubleshooting of your problem, rather than simply doing what the first dealership did. Stick with them as they seem to be taking the right steps to resolve your problem.

As to your second question, the Command System is comprised of the stereo, radio, navigation, cell phone integration, etc. It is the multi-media system for your vehicle. When the dealership is talking about replacing your Command unit, they are probably talking about pulling out the electronics unit that handles all that, not replacing your built-in lcd screen. I can't see how the lcd screen itself would cause the problems you have outlined. So they likely wouldn't want to go to the effort of swapping that out.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 AM

C238 E220D 4Matic
Sounds like the second dealership is actually talking about doing legitimate troubleshooting of your problem, rather than simply doing what the first dealership did. Stick with them as they seem to be taking the right steps to resolve your problem.

As to your second question, the Command System is comprised of the stereo, radio, navigation, cell phone integration, etc. It is the multi-media system for your vehicle. When the dealership is talking about replacing your Command unit, they are probably talking about pulling out the electronics unit that handles all that, not replacing your built-in lcd screen. I can't see how the lcd screen itself would cause the problems you have outlined. So they likely wouldn't want to go to the effort of swapping that out.
Thanks Paul, They are going to change the command unit form behind the dash to see if that fixes the problem, fingers crossed that we will work.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Have same issue with my 2018 E400 Cabriolet At dealer yesterday and Mercedes Tech line said a software update is coming May 2018. I today my salesman offered to have the owner of the dealership call MB. My question is simple: "how could you deliver me a car with a know defect and not disclose it", Very tempted to order a few Lemon Decals This car drives extremely well and is comfortable I just wish the tech was as good as they advertise it to be.

Last edited by Richard991; 02-27-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E400 Coupe
Can you actually use the maps/google maps from your Iphone, in the screens of the car? I just bought a E400 Coupe and I won´t get it untill may... I am excited to drive it!!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
... then I would ask your original dealer to escalate the issue to MB USA corporate...
I don't believe MB USA corporate would weigh in on this particular vehicle and its problems ...