E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

UNICHIP CarPlay Retrofit for 2015 E300 C207 NTG4.5 Navi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450 W166
Arrow UNICHIP CarPlay Retrofit for 2015 E300 C207 NTG4.5 Navi

hi guys we just retrofitted the Unichip CarPlay for E300 C207, it's a NTG4.5, welcome for any comments
from www.unichip-tec.com

Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E63s
Where does the box go? Also, can we use the mercedes USB that's already in the glove box?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GL450 W166
Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Where does the box go? Also, can we use the mercedes USB that's already in the glove box?
sure you can, but all depends on car specs
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by ntgcommander
sure you can, but all depends on car specs
2014 w212 E63. Where does the box go? Behind the dash?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GL450 W166
pls PM us your VIN(Vehicle Identification No.) or send mail to tec at unichip-tec.com
thanks
Old 03-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GL450 W166
box we recommend to store at the passenger side glove box.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
i like the fact you ask questions and they give you random answes
Old 03-29-2018, 08:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GL450 W166
hi normally we put it inside the glove box
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C204
hi normally we put it inside the glove box
I'm interested in having this done to my 2014 E550 Coupe. I think it has NTG 4.7. I have a couple of questions.

Is Android Auto Working?
Can I use the car's built in voice operations to access google assistant (mercedes voice button)?
Can one listen to the radio and still use android auto? I believe when you switch to AUX, I would have to use internet radio at that point - correct?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GL450 W166
hi yes your NTG4.7 will works for sure. and we have released AndroidAuto for demo testing with the latest google source code.
still under testing on the details of android auto ... audio input via AUX IN
Old 07-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
I just installed the Unichip CarPlay box in my 2014 ML350BT. Other than a few setup/startup glitches, it works very well. Cathy at Unichip (who is conveniently at work when I'm home messing with the car!) was very responsive to my incessant questions. Sorry Cathy!

Its so nice to have voice mails read to me while I listen to Apple Music or Amazon Music streaming or stored in my iPhone. The nav works very well, except that its currently limited to Apple Maps, which has a tendency to get confused and make silly routing recommendations. SIRI works pretty darned well with just a touch of the steering wheel button. I'm running IOS 12 beta in the phone, and when released, Apple will allow third party nav apps (Waze, Google Maps, etc). Some notes:

Without a touch screen, the console control knob will get a workout. A few things don't translate easily from touch (zooming screen).

Documentation is scarce, so be prepared to experiment with Comand settings, Unichip settings, etc.

The product works best if you never want to use the Comand in-built functions. Because you must have the Comand audio input set to AUX (which you'll need to enable in the engineering menus) you cannot listen to a Comand audio source (radio, CD, etc) and receive audio from the CarPlay box (nav prompts, voice mails, etc) concurrently. Switching to AUX requires either (a) the right number of blind presses on the DISC button, or (b) switching out of CarPlay mode and using the scroll wheel and Comand Audio Menus to select Aux, then jumping back to CarPlay mode. Mercedes did not provide a single-button jump to AUX, or even a Comand Voice Control command to select AUX. Since the CarPlay box does not have a radio, this is a bit of a pain if you like to listen to your local stations. You can add internet-based radio relay apps for some stations.

As best I can tell, the car always powers up with the Comand unit selected. To get to CarPlay, you have to plug in your iPhone and long-press the "C" or "CLR" button on the console.

I don't think Bluetooth is built into the CarPlay box, so connection must be made to the CarPlay's USB port. I mounted mine in the cubby above the cupholders, but I'll probably add a powered cradle. The MB USB port in the center console box connects only to the Comand unit.

To reach SIRI, you long-press the telephone HANGUP button on the steering wheel. The MB Voice Comand button (little head shouting) still operates that function. I wonder if I can get the two AI's arguing with each other?

The Unichip box fits easily in the ML; there is a large flat volume behind the climate controls. The wiring harness mess just plugs in and can be bundled up.

After a firmware upgrade and several resets, the MB rear camera now functions as expected.

You'll need to use the included microphone; the Comand mic won't operate the CarPlay functions. It seems like a good quality mic. I snaked the cable up the windshield pillar and mounted it cleverly to the rear-view mirror cover thing. It looks good.

All in all, its a nifty upgrade for our technology-challenged cars. There are compromises to deal with the duality of head units, and here, I think Unichip have mode the best choices to limit the pain. It looks good and adds some color and fun to the otherwise drab Comand experience (a collage of brown and gray, like winter in Minsk). The promise of Google Maps and Waze will keep me hooked. Some method of automating the AUX input switching would be welcome, but might be technically impossible with Comand's interfaces (which are largely undocumented; thanks MB). A touch screen overlay could also improve the experience.

Drop me note if you have any questions, and maybe I can save you a few four-letter words.

pg
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeller:
efd (12-20-2018), GDCLNFN (04-23-2019)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'18 718 GTS, CX-50 Meridian
How hard is the installation
Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 PM

2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Flypenfly
How hard is the installation
Not hard at all, if you're comfortable taking apart the center stack. All of the trim pieces (Comand surround, HVAC controls) just pull off. You need a Torx 15 driver for a few screws. Comand head unit pulls out.. Wiring plugs together. I ran the microphone under dash to left door area, under the rubber door opening seal, tucked into front of headliner, and into the upper console near the mirror. They have a video on the site but it's really straightforward.The toughest bit is finding a place to locate the USB port; I used a panel-mount USB connection from Ebay.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2014 GLK 350
Angry

I had high hopes for this system on my 2014 GLK, but I've been disappointed at every turn and they refuse to make it right.

1. They asked for my VIN and photo of my system, which i sent. They still sent me the wrong item.
2. after 3 days of back and forth with support in china, which would mean i need to return emails between 10pm and 5am EST, they finally admitted it was the wrong device and i needed a different setup.
3. They insisted that I paid for return shipping on the exchange device, this worked out to about $50 and would not start the return process before my incorrect one arrved to them. I argued back and forth for days and had to threaten to file a CC dispute to get them to say they would refund my shipping.
4. Tracking clearly showed it arrived on back to them on Tuesday, but it took until yesterday for them to admit it had arrived. They would even lie and say "it's in customs" when we could both very clearly see that it had cleared customs days earlier and was delivered. It is now Sunday and they have not refunded my shipping costs nor sent out the new device and the replies from customer service, which come several hours apart and i cannot stay awake all night to wait for them, often do not make sense and I need to keep asking for clarification.

I suggest you save your money and time and blood pressure and do not purchase this item.
The following 3 users liked this post by scrapdo:
GDCLNFN (04-23-2019), Hyacin (09-01-2018), Superstarryan (12-15-2020)
Old 08-13-2018, 04:02 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
hi yes your NTG4.7 will works for sure. and we have released AndroidAuto for demo testing with the latest google source code.
still under testing on the details of android auto ... audio input via AUX IN
Why don't you do a NTG 4.0 version? what is it that does not work? is there a reason?

I want Carplay and the two other companies are either really dodgy or cost more for any revision by nearly double.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2014 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Behold81
Why don't you do a NTG 4.0 version? what is it that does not work? is there a reason?

I want Carplay and the two other companies are either really dodgy or cost more for any revision by nearly double.
The Audio didn't work, I believe it's because I have Audio 20 instead of NTG 4.0/4.5, but that really should have been known by them when I sent them my VIN. Either way that mistake would be fine if they were able to recognize it in under 3 days of discussion or if I wasn't on the hook for the $56 to return the device because of their error (because I asked them which model i needed, provided, make &model, VIN and pictures). Add in that I'm on EST and they onlyu return emails around midnight and later, it's very difficult to even get support and it came without instructions. It's just been a very frustrating process.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'18 718 GTS, CX-50 Meridian
Originally Posted by scrapdo
I had high hopes for this system on my 2014 GLK, but I've been disappointed at every turn and they refuse to make it right.

1. They asked for my VIN and photo of my system, which i sent. They still sent me the wrong item.
2. after 3 days of back and forth with support in china, which would mean i need to return emails between 10pm and 5am EST, they finally admitted it was the wrong device and i needed a different setup.
3. They insisted that I paid for return shipping on the exchange device, this worked out to about $50 and would not start the return process before my incorrect one arrved to them. I argued back and forth for days and had to threaten to file a CC dispute to get them to say they would refund my shipping.
4. Tracking clearly showed it arrived on back to them on Tuesday, but it took until yesterday for them to admit it had arrived. They would even lie and say "it's in customs" when we could both very clearly see that it had cleared customs days earlier and was delivered. It is now Sunday and they have not refunded my shipping costs nor sent out the new device and the replies from customer service, which come several hours apart and i cannot stay awake all night to wait for them, often do not make sense and I need to keep asking for clarification.

I suggest you save your money and time and blood pressure and do not purchase this item.
Wow, thanks for the warning.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:20 PM

2014 ML350 Bluetec
My UNICHIP CarPlay add-on keeps getting better. IOS 12 now supports Google Maps, Waze and my personal favorite, Sygic Car Navigation. SIRI takes orders as needed, as do all the nav app voice controllers. Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music handle the tunes, and Newsbeat, NPR One and several other news apps provide the bad news of the day. Seems like a winner to me!

pg
The following users liked this post:
efd (12-20-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:31 PM
MO.

E350
Originally Posted by pgeller
I just installed the Unichip CarPlay box in my 2014 ML350BT. Other than a few setup/startup glitches, it works very well. Cathy at Unichip (who is conveniently at work when I'm home messing with the car!) was very responsive to my incessant questions. Sorry Cathy!

Its so nice to have voice mails read to me while I listen to Apple Music or Amazon Music streaming or stored in my iPhone. The nav works very well, except that its currently limited to Apple Maps, which has a tendency to get confused and make silly routing recommendations. SIRI works pretty darned well with just a touch of the steering wheel button. I'm running IOS 12 beta in the phone, and when released, Apple will allow third party nav apps (Waze, Google Maps, etc). Some notes:

Without a touch screen, the console control knob will get a workout. A few things don't translate easily from touch (zooming screen).

Documentation is scarce, so be prepared to experiment with Comand settings, Unichip settings, etc.

The product works best if you never want to use the Comand in-built functions. Because you must have the Comand audio input set to AUX (which you'll need to enable in the engineering menus) you cannot listen to a Comand audio source (radio, CD, etc) and receive audio from the CarPlay box (nav prompts, voice mails, etc) concurrently. Switching to AUX requires either (a) the right number of blind presses on the DISC button, or (b) switching out of CarPlay mode and using the scroll wheel and Comand Audio Menus to select Aux, then jumping back to CarPlay mode. Mercedes did not provide a single-button jump to AUX, or even a Comand Voice Control command to select AUX. Since the CarPlay box does not have a radio, this is a bit of a pain if you like to listen to your local stations. You can add internet-based radio relay apps for some stations.

As best I can tell, the car always powers up with the Comand unit selected. To get to CarPlay, you have to plug in your iPhone and long-press the "C" or "CLR" button on the console.

I don't think Bluetooth is built into the CarPlay box, so connection must be made to the CarPlay's USB port. I mounted mine in the cubby above the cupholders, but I'll probably add a powered cradle. The MB USB port in the center console box connects only to the Comand unit.

To reach SIRI, you long-press the telephone HANGUP button on the steering wheel. The MB Voice Comand button (little head shouting) still operates that function. I wonder if I can get the two AI's arguing with each other?

The Unichip box fits easily in the ML; there is a large flat volume behind the climate controls. The wiring harness mess just plugs in and can be bundled up.

After a firmware upgrade and several resets, the MB rear camera now functions as expected.

You'll need to use the included microphone; the Comand mic won't operate the CarPlay functions. It seems like a good quality mic. I snaked the cable up the windshield pillar and mounted it cleverly to the rear-view mirror cover thing. It looks good.

All in all, its a nifty upgrade for our technology-challenged cars. There are compromises to deal with the duality of head units, and here, I think Unichip have mode the best choices to limit the pain. It looks good and adds some color and fun to the otherwise drab Comand experience (a collage of brown and gray, like winter in Minsk). The promise of Google Maps and Waze will keep me hooked. Some method of automating the AUX input switching would be welcome, but might be technically impossible with Comand's interfaces (which are largely undocumented; thanks MB). A touch screen overlay could also improve the experience.

Drop me note if you have any questions, and maybe I can save you a few four-letter words.

pg
How you physically connect the audio output of this unit to the audio aux input of the comand ( and what cable you use?)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 Blutech
The reverse camera and 360 camera all work fine with unichip? Do I have to take it out of aux mode?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gl450
Just stumbled on to this add on. I would also want to know if it affects the rear view camera and communication with command and res if equipped.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 PM
MO.

E350
Originally Posted by boomie
The reverse camera and 360 camera all work fine with unichip? Do I have to take it out of aux mode?
I have tried Cartizan, not Unichip but I believe that Unichip works the same way. As regards my experience, when you reverse you will get the same screen as you currently have. No you don't have to change the Aux mode, as this is ONLY for sound routing.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 PM
MO.

E350
Originally Posted by Momo1020
Just stumbled on to this add on. I would also want to know if it affects the rear view camera and communication with command and res if equipped.
No, not at all.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 PM
MO.

E350
This is the big challenge! I installed it under the left side carpet ( passenger side)

Last edited by MO.; 02-14-2019 at 10:20 PM.