E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Next question. Sorry. Lower trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E350 CDI A207
Next question. Sorry. Lower trim

I see conflicting information here. The very low chrome trim. On the crease line on the lower door, front wing and rear. Is this 100% stuck in on a 2010 model cabriolet???

wrapping it will be painful so removing should be easier. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Trim is attached with double sided tape.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:24 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Trim is attached with double sided tape.
Perfect. worked. took time to clean it up. looks great though.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL550
Can you post a photo of the "after". Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 03:01 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Originally Posted by Surfer Dude
Can you post a photo of the "after". Thanks
sure. Before and after

Old 08-10-2018, 04:37 PM

SL550

Thanks for the photos, your E Coupe looks spectacular......

We recently picked up a 2016 E400 coupe with the AMG sports package [which deletes that side chrome molding]. We also have an SL550. I’m bit amazed with this E-Coupe. It’s about as close size wise to the Porsche 911 as anything in the MBZ line-up. The windshield is fabulous. It rakes out a bit, and from the interior, it’s just expansive in the driver’s area. I was stunned with the room in the front for the driver and passenger area for this size car. Then from a driver’s point of view, it’s a blast to drive, as you small enough, but not to small, to dart in and out of traffic when needed. Just a great sports car with some real room in the back seat.

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 08-10-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-11-2018, 12:12 PM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Thanks. Any pics???

I Blacked the grill out looking better now!

Thanks for the photos, your E Coupe looks spectacular......

We recently picked up a 2016 E400 coupe with the AMG sports package [which deletes that side chrome molding]. We also have an SL550. I’m bit amazed with this E-Coupe. It’s about as close size wise to the Porsche 911 as anything in the MBZ line-up. The windshield is fabulous. It rakes out a bit, and from the interior, it’s just expansive in the driver’s area. I was stunned with the room in the front for the driver and passenger area for this size car. Then from a driver’s point of view, it’s a blast to drive, as you small enough, but not to small, to dart in and out of traffic when needed. Just a great sports car with some real room in the back seat.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 PM

SL550
Shades of Grey. The 2016 E 400 Coupe is Selenite Grey which is a metallic. The 2013 SL550 is Palladium Silver, which again is a metallic. And the Chevy Crew cab is Silver metallic. I’ve had S sedans forever. A couple of years ago I decided I just no longer needed a luxury cruiser, thus the Chevy crewcab. The crewcab is a 2018 as I just swapped out the 2015 I had. Just a great truck.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:16 PM

SL550
Interior.

Moving the gear selector up on the column like the S sedan was smart. Opens up more space on the center console. And you do have the paddle shifters [you can't see 'em with this photo angle]. Also the gauge clusters remain, which are like the SL. I'm not a fan of the new wide screen lcd panels where its all an electronic image. And one fuse out, your blind.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:50 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Shades of Grey. The 2016 E 400 Coupe is Selenite Grey which is a metallic. The 2013 SL550 is Palladium Silver, which again is a metallic. And the Chevy Crew cab is Silver metallic. I’ve had S sedans forever. A couple of years ago I decided I just no longer needed a luxury cruiser, thus the Chevy crewcab. The crewcab is a 2018 as I just swapped out the 2015 I had. Just a great truck.

Nice tidy collection there. What engine is in the chevy?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Interior.

Moving the gear selector up on the column like the S sedan was smart. Opens up more space on the center console. And you do have the paddle shifters [you can't see 'em with this photo angle]. Also the gauge clusters remain, which are like the SL. I'm not a fan of the new wide screen lcd panels where its all an electronic image. And one fuse out, your blind.

How does the centre console all open up? do the small bits at the front do nothing? it looks nicer all central. I wonder if the Cabriolet is still like that? what sits under the small central bit at the front? sunroof? being a coupe im not sure
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM

SL550
The Chevy has the 5.3 v8. Mpg went up about 2 more miles over the last model. The trans seems to shift much smoother than the last one. As to maintenance, just peanuts over the long run. And compared to an MBZ, they just don’t depreciate in value over time.

The center counsel on the E Coupe: The 3 in the front. The ones on the sides do nothing. The one in the center opens up with very little storage. I think this is where the controller for the E Cab must go to open the top. On the SL, this is where the controller for the top is. The long storage box behind the small one’s in front. Again very close to the SL setup . Opens up like a clamshell with a fairly deep storage compartment. As to the sunroof controller on the E Coupe, that’s up by the rear view mirror.

Your blacked out grill looks good.

I’ll tell you. I’m not a fan of the new diamond grills. First came across ‘em when they introduced the CLA. Went and ran my fingers across it. Just a bunch of plastic **** poking up and chromed the same way those model car kits we had as boys. I was thinking this grill will stay on the CLA and that’s the end of it. Got that wrong. It spread across complete MBZ Coupe line like a plague including the SL. ...“diamond grill”. What marketing gimmick. Go back and look at the history of the SL’s from the beginning. There’s no grill anywhere close to that thing. I think they’ll fade away like the Porsche 996 fried egg headlights did. OK....I’ll get off my soap box.

What did you use to blackout your grill? On my E Coupe, I don’t like that chrome trim that runs side to side on the rear above the diffuser and exhaust ports [like the E sedan]. Want to take that to black or a carbon fiber look.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM

2011 E350 CDI A207
The Chevy has the 5.3 v8. Mpg went up about 2 more miles over the last model. The trans seems to shift much smoother than the last one. As to maintenance, just peanuts over the long run. And compared to an MBZ, they just don’t depreciate in value over time.

The center counsel on the E Coupe: The 3 in the front. The ones on the sides do nothing. The one in the center opens up with very little storage. I think this is where the controller for the E Cab must go to open the top. On the SL, this is where the controller for the top is. The long storage box behind the small one’s in front. Again very close to the SL setup . Opens up like a clamshell with a fairly deep storage compartment. As to the sunroof controller on the E Coupe, that’s up by the rear view mirror.

Your blacked out grill looks good.

I’ll tell you. I’m not a fan of the new diamond grills. First came across ‘em when they introduced the CLA. Went and ran my fingers across it. Just a bunch of plastic **** poking up and chromed the same way those model car kits we had as boys. I was thinking this grill will stay on the CLA and that’s the end of it. Got that wrong. It spread across complete MBZ Coupe line like a plague including the SL. ...“diamond grill”. What marketing gimmick. Go back and look at the history of the SL’s from the beginning. There’s no grill anywhere close to that thing. I think they’ll fade away like the Porsche 996 fried egg headlights did. OK....I’ll get off my soap box.

What did you use to blackout your grill? On my E Coupe, I don’t like that chrome trim that runs side to side on the rear above the diffuser and exhaust ports [like the E sedan]. Want to take that to black or a carbon fiber look.
agree the diamond grill is not a great look. They do a black aftermarket one.

I used plastidip. Although it attacked a bit of the black plastic by the merc symbol. It was a short term fix as I’m spending my money else where and the only supplier of satin black is out of stock.

It looks good though. Rest I am removing or vinyl wrapping. Only have a little bit left to do.

Yeah in my off centre clam is my roof control was curious what was in the coupe.

Im a Chevy fan. The 5.3 is an LS block isn’t it. Different stroke than the LS1-3

i have 2 ls1 v8s in my commodores. One is ‘mildly’ tuned
Old 08-13-2018, 08:46 PM

SL550
I’m now looking at carbon fiber diffuser replacements as that may be the way to go.

As to the Chevy, they call it a L83 EcoTec3 5.3 L small block V8 truck engine. The stroke is just a bit longer. Had a rodded out 55 Chevy 210 Post with a 350 small block tricked out every possible way. Scat crank, roller rockers and so on. Then the suspension was basically for the track so I could chase down BMW’s on sweepers. It put out 400hp and 400lbs of torque. Hooked up to a 4 speed muncie. The car weighed in at about 2900 lbs. You couldn't touch it across a stop lighted 6 lane intersection. I sold it in a weak moment one day like a fool. Your tuned commodore sounds totally sick!

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 08-14-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-14-2018, 05:39 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
I’m now looking at carbon fiber diffuser replacements as that may be the way to go.

As to the Chevy, they call it a L83 EcoTec3 5.3 L small block V8 truck engine. The stroke is just a bit longer. Had a rodded out 55 Chevy Post with a 350 small block tricked out every possible way. Scat crank, roller rockers and so on. Then the suspension was basically for the track so I could chase down BMW’s on sweepers. It put out 400hp and 400lbs of torque. Hooked up to a 4 speed muncie. The car weighed in at about 2900 lbs. You couldn't touch it across a stop lighted 6 lane intersection. I sold it in a weak moment one day like a fool. Your tuned commodore sounds totally sick!
Selling can always lead to regret!

Yeah the HSV (basically a 4 door GTO Coupe) is running an LS1 with full 1 7/8 -3.5inch headers and full flow exhaust. Uprated heads and intake, Vortech Supercharger, Roller rockers, custom cam, upgraded coils and custom ECU tuning by myself. Estimating 6-700hp and similar torque.

Its quite lairy!!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM

SL550
Was looking at a couple of videos of the beast... and these are stock...US version..

They even have a babe doing a review on SS. Bad looking in black...the babes cute also!

Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Was looking at a couple of videos of the beast... and these are stock...US version..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

They even have a babe doing a review on SS. Bad looking in black...the babes cute also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1oCFRqqtQY
it has sports mode which why it has performance. And touring mode. But you have performance.

Brilliant.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I’m not a fan of the new diamond grills. First came across ‘em when they introduced the CLA. Went and ran my fingers across it. Just a bunch of plastic **** poking up and chromed the same way those model car kits we had as boys. I was thinking this grill will stay on the CLA and that’s the end of it. Got that wrong. It spread across complete MBZ Coupe line like a plague including the SL. ...“diamond grill”. What marketing gimmick. Go back and look at the history of the SL’s from the beginning. There’s no grill anywhere close to that thing.
I agree that the diamond grille is a marked departure from what has traditionally fronted MB coupes in the past. However, I do like it better than the stock grille on my 2016 E400 coupe, which is the only part of the car that irks me. I'd part with a decent chunk of change to get my hands on a traditional, horizontally slatted grille (similar to the one that was available on the same year E-Class sedans) so that I could get rid of the huge center grille star and replace my flat hood emblem with a classic stand-up star. I really hate my grille, but exhaustive online research has yielded virtually no other options for my model/year.

I disassembled my front grille and sprayed the thick, flat-silver horizontal fin gloss black, leaving only the small front edges of it chrome. It helps to minimize the "bling-y" stock look, but I still wish I could replace the entire grille. Now I'm wondering how it would look if the chrome grille surround ring was also black.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
I agree that the diamond grille is a marked departure from what has traditionally fronted MB coupes in the past. However, I do like it better than the stock grille on my 2016 E400 coupe, which is the only part of the car that irks me. I'd part with a decent chunk of change to get my hands on a traditional, horizontally slatted grille (similar to the one that was available on the same year E-Class sedans) so that I could get rid of the huge center grille star and replace my flat hood emblem with a classic stand-up star. I really hate my grille, but exhaustive online research has yielded virtually no other options for my model/year.

I disassembled my front grille and sprayed the thick, flat-silver horizontal fin gloss black, leaving only the small front edges of it chrome. It helps to minimize the "bling-y" stock look, but I still wish I could replace the entire grille. Now I'm wondering how it would look if the chrome grille surround ring was also black.
I think on the SL a black or body colour full grill would look good.

Not a fan of the stand up emblems personally but Im not a fan of the huge Merc logo on the grill! its HUGE!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by Behold81
Not a fan of the stand up emblems personally but Im not a fan of the huge Merc logo on the grill! its HUGE!
When it comes to cars, my taste runs more to "classic" aesthetics, so I'm still a fan of the simple old MB hood ornament and wood-trimmed interiors. I loathe carbon fiber trim, and the huge star in their modern grilles looks like something they yanked from a chain around the neck of a gangster rapper. The only thing more vulgar is the light-up version.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:31 PM

SL550

From a historical point of view, the big star has been on the SL front grill from the beginning of time, and has survived through all of the model changes through the years. I like the look. For me, it’d be a bit strange to not see the big star on the front of the SL.

But....there’s no doubt been serious mission creep over the years. Anything with 2 doors has inherited the big Star. And recently, it’s been slammed on the front of the 4 door E sedans .

As MBZ sells all over the world, there’s been a trend with some of the competitors going to larger grills. I’d call it the grill wars, and it’s got a bit out of hand. Just look at the massive grills on the Audi and Lexus. Particularly the Lexus. There grill is now the size of the massive cow catchers sported on turn of the century steam locomotives! Then look at the American pickups. The grill war is in full bloom there also. The Ford chrome grills have become so massive; it’s like a sheet of chromed plywood coming at you. Then for the 2019 Chevy truck, they slapped on a stamped tailgate with Chevrolet emblazed across the back. Yeh...I remember those from the old days, but I thought marketing had gotten over there insecurities. Apparently not!

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 08-15-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
When it comes to cars, my taste runs more to "classic" aesthetics, so I'm still a fan of the simple old MB hood ornament and wood-trimmed interiors. I loathe carbon fiber trim, and the huge star in their modern grilles looks like something they yanked from a chain around the neck of a gangster rapper. The only thing more vulgar is the light-up version.
HA HA HA

Yes you are right looks are preferences to each person. and I would not bash a car (within reason!) for there look. Personally I hate bling and is why I am de-chroming the car slowly. I agree on the Gangster Chain! hence this also went black to semi hide it!

I have always been about semi subtle on a car and it should look mostly like it could have left the factory that way. But im not a huge fain of classic wood trim. Carbon trim is ok if its REAL CF not that awful bright silver and black fake print. But again needs to be on the right car. one reason I am using Satin black not CF on my black out.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207

From a historical point of view, the big star has been on the SL front grill from the beginning of time, and has survived through all of the model changes through the years. I like the look. For me, it’d be a bit strange to not see the big star on the front of the SL.

But....there’s no doubt been serious mission creep over the years. Anything with 2 doors has inherited the big Star. And recently, it’s been slammed on the front of the 4 door E sedans .

As MBZ sells all over the world, there’s been a trend with some of the competitors going to larger grills. I’d call it the grill wars, and it’s got a bit out of hand. Just look at the massive grills on the Audi and Lexus. Particularly the Lexus. There grill is now the size of the massive cow catchers sported on turn of the century steam locomotives! Then look at the American pickups. The grill war is in full bloom there also. The Ford chrome grills have become so massive; it’s like a sheet of chromed plywood coming at you. Then for the 2019 Chevy truck, they slapped on a stamped tailgate with Chevrolet emblazed across the back. Yeh...I remember those from the old days, but I thought marketing had gotten over there insecurities. Apparently not!

yeah some grills are OTT now! but I guess its a statement of the decade. like hair styles over the years. Personally I like the return of some of the old styles if done right. but few get the Old modern right. it just looks cheap and tacky attempt. Remaking old cars can be worse. The VW Beetle being one
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
From a historical point of view, the big star has been on the SL front grill from the beginning of time
But was it always as enormous as it is now?

I’d call it the grill wars, and it’s got a bit out of hand.
The first vehicle on which I can recall noticing a ridiculously massive grille and a huge, ghetto fabulous emblem was the Cadillac Escalade, and I thought to myself, "That's the most vulgar car I've ever seen." The Escalade quickly became the vehicle of choice for rap videos and wanna-be "bougie" people.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

SL550
The star on the SL was pretty good size from the beginning. Here's a good historical conversation on the SL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next question. Sorry. Lower trim