E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Why so cheap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
Why so cheap?

Out of curiosity I've been poking around used coupes to replace my car and I was blown away by the depreciation on the E-class coupe. Seems like they have depreciated even more heavily than the sedans. Is it just that tough to sell a 2 door coupe these days? I'm looking at 2015-2017 coupes and they are routinely below $25k. I get the 2015/2016 are an older body style/generation now so that was probably a hit to residual values. All my shopping has been online so far but from the pictures the C207 interior doesn't seem that dated despite being the previous gen. Are they unusually expensive to maintain or am I missing something else?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:25 PM

E550C
Are you looking at 550s? I recently bought a 2012 e550coupe and this would be terrible news for me

But my understanding is the e550 coupes are a niche vehicle. It takes a specific person to look for a high powered RWD coupe. Most people who want a v8 rwd has a lot of other options to choose from, and depending where you live people prefer the sedan and awd.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 AM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
Originally Posted by hellcat
Is it just that tough to sell a 2 door coupe these days? Are they unusually expensive to maintain or am I missing something else?
I owned '16 E400 4Matic Coupe for 9 months. Bought July '19. Just sold March '20. Actually, didn't take a bath. Bought from CarMax for $28K, sold back to them for $25K. Merc was only offering me $21K in trade for a '14 S550. So sold it to CarMax. For me, the car was too small. To fit my golf clubs in the trunk, I had to fold down one half of the rear seats. The trunk lid was too low, always hitting my head when leaning in to the trunk. I only need to carry two passengers max, so two seats was not the problem. The car was low, took effort to lower myself into the driver's seat. Also, I had to lower the seat to keep my head from touching the headliner, making matters worse. Once in the seat, the car was fine, didn't feel cramped. But then the ride was kind of loud and harsh. I know, its a sports coupe, but got tired of the constant jolts from the suspension and road noise. Looking to replace with a '14-16 S550 4Matic Sedan. Had one for four days test drive, and fell in love. That's a comfortable and roomy car!

So to summarize: the car is small. If you have a family, its a non-starter. If you need to carry gear, it's a non-starter. If you're older with painful knees and tall (I'm 6'2") it's a non-starter. If you want a comfortable and quiet ride, it's a non-starter. That knocks out a huge audience. For any coupe, not just the C207, I would say. The large coupes are not doing any better. BMW is having trouble moving 8-Series and Merc is cancelling the S-Coupes after this summer. Maybe we're all getting more practical: sedans and especially SUVs. I, for one, hate SUVs and trucks. So a nice sedan is in my future.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
So to summarize: the car is small.
I must respectfully disagree. As coupes go, the C207 is rather large; it feels twice the size of my previous BMW e92.

I, for one, hate SUVs and trucks.
Same here; I think they're vulgar.
The following users liked this post:
gforaker (04-03-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
I have owned my 15 since new and it has never missed a beat. The only gripe I have is it eats tyres but that is a small price to pay for a car I like to drive. Bear in mind I have owned a 2012 C63 and a 2013 991S C2 so I do have some yardsticks to go by.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
Originally Posted by chopsticksonly
Are you looking at 550s? I recently bought a 2012 e550coupe and this would be terrible news for me

But my understanding is the e550 coupes are a niche vehicle. It takes a specific person to look for a high powered RWD coupe. Most people who want a v8 rwd has a lot of other options to choose from, and depending where you live people prefer the sedan and awd.
No I live in a hilly part of New York so I'm looking at 4MATIC only so mainly E400's. The 550 in my area looks only slightly more expensive but that's probably because of the limited demand for RWD.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
I owned '16 E400 4Matic Coupe for 9 months. Bought July '19. Just sold March '20. Actually, didn't take a bath. Bought from CarMax for $28K, sold back to them for $25K. Merc was only offering me $21K in trade for a '14 S550. So sold it to CarMax. For me, the car was too small. To fit my golf clubs in the trunk, I had to fold down one half of the rear seats. The trunk lid was too low, always hitting my head when leaning in to the trunk. I only need to carry two passengers max, so two seats was not the problem. The car was low, took effort to lower myself into the driver's seat. Also, I had to lower the seat to keep my head from touching the headliner, making matters worse. Once in the seat, the car was fine, didn't feel cramped. But then the ride was kind of loud and harsh. I know, its a sports coupe, but got tired of the constant jolts from the suspension and road noise. Looking to replace with a '14-16 S550 4Matic Sedan. Had one for four days test drive, and fell in love. That's a comfortable and roomy car!

So to summarize: the car is small. If you have a family, its a non-starter. If you need to carry gear, it's a non-starter. If you're older with painful knees and tall (I'm 6'2") it's a non-starter. If you want a comfortable and quiet ride, it's a non-starter. That knocks out a huge audience. For any coupe, not just the C207, I would say. The large coupes are not doing any better. BMW is having trouble moving 8-Series and Merc is cancelling the S-Coupes after this summer. Maybe we're all getting more practical: sedans and especially SUVs. I, for one, hate SUVs and trucks. So a nice sedan is in my future.
Thanks this makes sense. My wife has a big Subaru Ascent so I'm looking for something more fun for myself. I drive a crappy SUV now because I was single and needed the space when I originally bought it. Now that she has the cargo hauler I am looking for something a little less practical but still capable of hauling more than 2 people in a pinch. That's what drew me to the E coupe. As Mr. Toad said, by coupe standards it seems pretty roomy and a better semi-practical option than a C coupe or 3 series.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by hellcat
As Mr. Toad said, by coupe standards it seems pretty roomy and a better semi-practical option than a C coupe or 3 series.
The C207 is much larger than the C-Class coupe, and much larger than a BMW 3- or 4-Series coupe. I wouldn't want to spend an extended time in the backseat, but the front seat area of the cabin feels expansive for two adults.