E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E550 Coupe Downpipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes E550
E550 Coupe Downpipes

Does anyone have a video or instructions of doing downpipes for the E550? Also what is the difficulty level?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 E63S Sedan, 2014 E550 coupe
Sorry I do not, but I have a coupe and would like to see the same! So I guess I am bumping this thread in hopes you get a response. Cheers!
Old 12-20-2022, 01:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
E550c
E550 Coupe DP’s

The only company I know of making them that will fit is from Weistec nice work, expensive.

Why do you want to change them? If you do, you should address cats, and the whole exhaust, including an x pipe. If you’re looking for more flow and power, Tune it.

If that’s not enough, then do the exhausts or do all at the same time.

there’s a lot you can do but the cheapest and easiest is a dyno and road tune.

Ryan
Old 12-21-2022, 11:06 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I've been eyeballin these: https://vrpspeed.com/product/blcgedps

I have no doubt they are a monumental pita to install and likely involve pulling the engine. Maybe someone chan chime in with better news because I won't be doing that
Old 12-27-2022, 01:54 PM

E550c
I wrote the company with a few questions about the exhausts

Originally Posted by Chevota
I've been eyeballin these: https://vrpspeed.com/product/blcgedps

I have no doubt they are a monumental pita to install and likely involve pulling the engine. Maybe someone chan chime in with better news because I won't be doing that
thanks for the link. I was unfamiliar with that company…Looks like a well made set up. You can see the flange that connects to the turbo header is cast and looks like a matched transition from the header to the downpipe.

The welds look good. The description didn’t list the material used, nor the gauge of the steel tubing. As to the cast flange, I don’t know if the cut the OEM off and weld them or if those are a custom cast.

It should be a minimum of 304 stainless, if not 321 (over twice the material cost). Mild steel is not recommended for turbo exhausts as it does nit have the heat resistance properties necessary for the high heat produced by turbos.

I’ll update with what I find out.

Weistec: https://www.weistec.com/m278-downpip...-e550-rwd.html

Ryan
Old 12-27-2022, 02:02 PM

E550c
Installing Downpipes

Originally Posted by DTRMND1
thanks for the link. I was unfamiliar with that company…Looks like a well made set up. You can see the flange that connects to the turbo header is cast and looks like a matched transition from the header to the downpipe.

The welds look good. The description didn’t list the material used, nor the gauge of the steel tubing. As to the cast flange, I don’t know if the cut the OEM off and weld them or if those are a custom cast.

It should be a minimum of 304 stainless, if not 321 (over twice the material cost). Mild steel is not recommended for turbo exhausts as it does nit have the heat resistance properties necessary for the high heat produced by turbos.

I’ll update with what I find out.

Weistec: https://www.weistec.com/m278-downpip...-e550-rwd.html

Ryan
I have not attempted this install, so I am unsure of the difficulty…I do know the OEM are more narrow. That may be a tight fitment issue, especially with OEM heat shielding. If won’t fit would need to wrap with something like DEI Titanium wrap.

i m contributing to this thread as I’m working in my final plans for my turbo upgrade project so I’m interested and considering fabbing my own.

will be interacting to see how it all turns out.

Ryan.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:28 AM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Wrapping the header will retain heat in the exhaust (good) and lower the rate of heat transfer to the engine compartment (good). Retaining the heat will allow the turbos to spool better ( good ) but the tune may have to be adjusted for the better exhaust flow and changed boost curve ( need to do this anyway but $$ ). Since there is a lack of space, there may be interference fitting if wrapped ( bad) Interference fitting can cause the wrap to fray and wear (bad). Lastly, substandard construction and use of wrong weld filler can heighten the possibility of cracking the flanges or tubes (bad)

If this is an engine out fit, one might want to think more in-depth and get a cat back with x or h pipe and a dyno and tune. less work less $$$ and less time involved..
Old 01-17-2023, 07:08 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I found some pix to give us a better idea. Two different pix of the right side. I didn't find one for the left without the downpipe like this. It doesn't look too bad since that top bolt is accessed from the front. The pix are big on purpose so people can see all the little details they need.
The motor mount will clearly be in the way, so once that and the exhaust are out I kinda have a warm fuzzy. Except for two things; can I get the motor mount back in after, and ex bolts tend to break, like the one in the pix one did...

Then the VRP pipe for comparo, which doesn't seem like a big deal to bolt in? I do wonder about all the pipes, how they go together because the connections look weird. I'd assume it comes with the clamps or whatever but I've been burned too many times to assume.
If I did this in my driveway will my remaining oem exhaust simply bolt up to the end of this? I'm sure the answer is no but maybe I'll get lucky.

Link I found these, or one of them. Fyi used parts on ebay often have detailed pictures at various angles if ever in need
ebay.com/itm/125514079482

The following users liked this post:
WRC-LVR (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:05 AM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
I found some pix to give us a better idea. Two different pix of the right side. I didn't find one for the left without the downpipe like this. It doesn't look too bad since that top bolt is accessed from the front. The pix are big on purpose so people can see all the little details they need.
The motor mount will clearly be in the way, so once that and the exhaust are out I kinda have a warm fuzzy. Except for two things; can I get the motor mount back in after, and ex bolts tend to break, like the one in the pix one did...

Then the VRP pipe for comparo, which doesn't seem like a big deal to bolt in? I do wonder about all the pipes, how they go together because the connections look weird. I'd assume it comes with the clamps or whatever but I've been burned too many times to assume.
If I did this in my driveway will my remaining oem exhaust simply bolt up to the end of this? I'm sure the answer is no but maybe I'll get lucky.

Link I found these, or one of them. Fyi used parts on ebay often have detailed pictures at various angles if ever in need

it might be a good idea to have those ceramic coated or Swain coated before install. That way they may not need to be wrapped....
Old 01-20-2023, 07:38 PM

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts
2013 E550

207 exhaust won't bolt up because the pipes are smaller and the slip/socket connections on the resonator pipe are reversed left to right on 550 vs AMG. But a good shop could adapt them. Then the problem is the smaller catback pipes restricting flow. You'd of course want a full system with the same pipe diameter to take full advantage of the bridge pipes and downpipes.