E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wood trim peeling off doors and above glove box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 04:22 PM
cdg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
Wood trim peeling off doors and above glove box

So my wood trim has been slowly coming off because I guess the adhesive has become defective. Pretty sad if you ask me. My E550 feels like a tank, but I will say the interior does make me miss my 2011 Audi S5 - the interior in those Audi’s are incredible for what you pay.

I did recently come across another thread stating there was a lawsuit that had been settled with MB regarding this wood trim (Burl Walnut Wood Trim Lawsuit). I may see if I can achieve anything by filing a claim or reaching out to MBUSA.

Anybody else have this issue?
The following users liked this post:
RealDonn (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 10:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 C207 E550 RWD
I had the same, I bought replacement trim for the dash and used epoxy to glue back on the trim peeling off around the seat controls since that one requires removing the entire door card to swap.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E63amg
Originally Posted by cdg
So my wood trim has been slowly coming off because I guess the adhesive has become defective. Pretty sad if you ask me. My E550 feels like a tank, but I will say the interior does make me miss my 2011 Audi S5 - the interior in those Audi’s are incredible for what you pay.

I did recently come across another thread stating there was a lawsuit that had been settled with MB regarding this wood trim (Burl Walnut Wood Trim Lawsuit). I may see if I can achieve anything by filing a claim or reaching out to MBUSA.

Just wrap it and call it a day. It is expected for a 10+ year old car.
if you want to replace it with ash wood, i have used full set laying around in my garage. You can have it, just pay shipping.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C207 550
Originally Posted by cdg

Yah, after the heat wave last summer the wood trims started coming off...
tried gorilla double sided tape to resecure with no avail.
Eventually the ends coming off got snagged on things and broke off.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 w207
Originally Posted by Nbxjskamg
Just wrap it and call it a day. It is expected for a 10+ year old car.
if you want to replace it with ash wood, i have used full set laying around in my garage. You can have it, just pay shipping.
been looking all over north america for the ashwood black set...2 of them discontinued forever....not even germany

picked up a mint 2011 cab and am
in love when im outside but get depressed when i get in!! Spend hours looking dor these trims daily...

Old 07-16-2023, 03:17 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
I just bought a 2010 550 with black ash trim and yep, the trim is starting to peel up near the door handles.

As fas as I can tell, I should be able to just apply some 3M Extreme double-sided tape to the peeled areas to tape it back down (way less messy, and possibly more effective than glue or epoxy). This wont work for cracked pieces, obviously.

It's funny, all the trim in my 2008 CLK is is perfectly fine.

I think I'm too late to the party to participate in the class action settlement, unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by nkx1
I just bought a 2010 550 with black ash trim and yep, the trim is starting to peel up near the door handles.

As fas as I can tell, I should be able to just apply some 3M Extreme double-sided tape to the peeled areas to tape it back down (way less messy, and possibly more effective than glue or epoxy). This wont work for cracked pieces, obviously.

It's funny, all the trim in my 2008 CLK is is perfectly fine.

I think I'm too late to the party to participate in the class action settlement, unfortunately.
Environmentalists have chased away all of the active ingredients that made adhesives really work well in the past.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:19 PM

2011 w207
i am going crazy trying to find this trim for 2011 e350 cabrio...been searching for 3 months now : (

ash black the one on the instrument panel above the glove box....

tried every scrap yard and seller on eBay no luck, tried every dealership no luck....

only 1 has it in all over the world and that is at thousand oaks MB and they won't release it to me stating that it is on hold for a customer...been months though...said they have a policy...

i managed to find all the others and my cabriolet is looking mint, but the one on the dash is a HUGE eye soar every time i get in....

please if anyone can help...or suggest anything?????
Old 08-06-2023, 09:20 PM

2011 w207
Old 08-17-2023, 11:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C207 550
Originally Posted by cabbiejunkie
I see you, and I raise you.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:20 AM

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by cabbiejunkie
i am going crazy trying to find this trim for 2011 e350 cabrio...been searching for 3 months now : (

ash black the one on the instrument panel above the glove box....

tried every scrap yard and seller on eBay no luck, tried every dealership no luck....

only 1 has it in all over the world and that is at thousand oaks MB and they won't release it to me stating that it is on hold for a customer...been months though...said they have a policy...

i managed to find all the others and my cabriolet is looking mint, but the one on the dash is a HUGE eye soar every time i get in....

please if anyone can help...or suggest anything?????
Try Madera Concepts, very good, but not inexpensive...
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (08-18-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 11:32 AM

2011 w207
Originally Posted by 604550C207
I see you, and I raise you.

yikes....i shelved out a pretty penny and was able to locate all the others...only one left is the one above the glove box....

the hunt continues....
Old 08-23-2023, 08:39 PM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
If/when mine ever caused me grief I was planning on filling the cracks with clear epoxy. If they popped off I'd use silicone to glue it back. Those pix look like it not only cracked and popped off, but curled as well? Uggg. Maybe plan is flawed...
So now I think I'm leaning toward what Nbxjskamg said, and wrap it. It appears, from the pix, that you could toss the wood altogether and wrap the plastic under it? Or would that be too recessed and look weird? The plastic doesn't come out does it? So basically you'd need some material cut and formed to shape of the failed wood, then wrap that and glue it on?
Old 10-29-2023, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 Cabrio, 2017 Mazda6
Looking for ash
Old 10-29-2023, 01:38 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Chevota
If/when mine ever caused me grief I was planning on filling the cracks with clear epoxy. If they popped off I'd use silicone to glue it back. Those pix look like it not only cracked and popped off, but curled as well? Uggg. Maybe plan is flawed...
So now I think I'm leaning toward what Nbxjskamg said, and wrap it. It appears, from the pix, that you could toss the wood altogether and wrap the plastic under it? Or would that be too recessed and look weird? The plastic doesn't come out does it? So basically you'd need some material cut and formed to shape of the failed wood, then wrap that and glue it on?
Wrapping actually sounds like a great idea. It doesn't seem like it should be too recessed, since the wood is such a thin piece anyway. I don't know if the plastic comes out. If it doesn't, I wonder if you (or installer) could press down the wrap as much as possible to clearly see the outline of the plastic, and then use an X-Acto knife to cut around it without doing too much damage? I can see the seat adjustment button area being a problem though.

If you search "black wood grain wrap" on Google, it looks like there are a bunch of options. It might actually look really cool, akin to the newer E Class coupes.

Last edited by nkx1; 10-29-2023 at 01:46 PM.