E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Considering a E300 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLK250 & Jaguar F-Type
Considering a E300 Cabriolet

Hi all,

The wife is looking to move from the SLK250 to a E300 Cabriolet. I am just wondering your thoughts on the build quality and reliability of the E-Class Cabriolet (A328) to-date.

I am going through the configuration on Mercedes website (UK) trying to spec out things we want and things we don't need. One thing I have noticed / haven't been able to find is Heated Steering Wheel. Does anyone knows if this is available?

Thank you very much.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
One thing to note about the MB website and configurator is that it is only a guide. You really need to talk to your SA
and get them to configure the car on their system. That way all the options show up. Having written all of that, I'm
not sure we get heated steering wheels in the UK. I could be wrong tho...

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I looked at the e300 and figured it was worth it just to spend the extra on the e450.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
The one thing your wife will notice is the massive size difference going from the SLK to the E
Even simple things like weaving through traffic needs some different consideration, and things like doing head checks over your opposite shoulder.

I had a SLK 350 and i loved that the rear of the car was right behind you. One thing with the E is that it is not.

She will like that you can drop the top when the car is on the move that's a good difference between the two. I could never do mine in the SLK even though they said you could kinda. But you had to stop the car, then do it.

Does she plan on carrying additional people?

The build quality is fine on the E, but the SLK is bullet proof standing the test of time.

In Australia a heated wheel isn't offered but we have air scarf which i find way more useable.

Has she considered the C Cabrio? Maybe the 43? Or does she not like the design of the interior of the c? I'm not a fan of the interior, and the centre panel. But i do like that the tech has now been updated to be the same as the E.

Cheers,
MH
Old 02-19-2019, 04:20 AM

Thanks all!

@mickhood, thanks for the tips! I was quite surprised the wife wanted a E-Class Cab as she always used to avoid driving "big cars" (e.g. saloon) but she has been raving about the E-Class Cab since she had a courtesy car while the SLK was in the workshop. We have had so many problems with the SLK including the CAM Chain, Roof leaks, Springs, Brake Hold, Alternator, etc... in the past 12 months, which has "pushed us over the edge" and decide to get a new car.

She doesn't usually carry additional people but she really liked the interior of the courtesy car and the luxury feel, which the C-Class Cab doesn't have the same unfortunately. I/We have always had reservation on the soft top as they give me an impression they are less "rigid" and "noisier" than a hard top but having sat in the E-Class has proven me wrong.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:59 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Sadly, the option of a heated steering wheel is not available in the UK at the moment. I tried....
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
I have the E450 CAB and I must say it is the finest Convertible I've ever had to date. I understand your wife's enthusiasm the first time she drove one. Once you drive an E class convertible. you'll never go back.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:05 AM

Stephos, thanks for confirming. It's a shame to see Mercedes do offer something that will add that extra luxury to a car like the E-Class. I've used heated steering in a Jag XE (courtesy car) on a very cold morning and it was a nice touch. I never believed in the need of it before but that time changed my mind completely.

rustybear3, I know what you mean. I sat in the car for a short 10 mins journey and it wowed me on how luxury the interior is and how quiet the cabin is with the roof up. I've always imagined soft-tops are noisy as don't have the "solid" feel but the E-Class Cab completed changed my "wrong" perception!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 AM

MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Yep, both the heated steering wheel and heads-up display were two options that I wanted to add to my car but couldn't.

MB UK works in mysterious ways.

I was looking at an A250 4matic for my wife and apparently it is no longer offered in the UK. You can only get it in FWD - not sure if that will be a deal breaker, we'll see after I test drive it this weekend.

When MB still manufacturers these models/options and if you're placing a factory order, I believe you should be able to order whatever you want, exactly as you want it.

Evidently, MB UK disagrees.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by stephos
Yep, both the heated steering wheel and heads-up display were two options that I wanted to add to my car but couldn't.

MB UK works in mysterious ways.

I was looking at an A250 4matic for my wife and apparently it is no longer offered in the UK. You can only get it in FWD - not sure if that will be a deal breaker, we'll see after I test drive it this weekend.

When MB still manufacturers these models/options and if you're placing a factory order, I believe you should be able to order whatever you want, exactly as you want it.

Evidently, MB UK disagrees.
I had the same problem when it came to ordering my CAB regarding the HUD. Most of the time, it is supplier issues. I must admit, with this digital dash, I don't really miss it like I thought I would. Still. I'm with you. I Hate the decision taken out of my hands.

What upset me more, is not being able to get the wheels you want....being restricted as to model, AMG, etc. A wheel is a wheel. Why can't I order a wheel what I want? Or even substitute?

Old 02-21-2019, 10:02 AM

It sounded like we'll just have to go without the heated steering wheel, and also heated windscreen! HUD, I was told can be ordered now.

Do you guys have any recommendation on "must have" or "highly desirable" options to have? We are looking at the Premium Plus package already and it looks most are included already.

Thank you very much! This has been very informative!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 AM

MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Premium Plus is a must as far as I'm concerned. It's just such great value.

I'd also recommend the Driving Assistance package. I didn't get it and I sorely regret it.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mokster

Do you guys have any recommendation on "must have" or "highly desirable" options to have? We are looking at the Premium Plus package already and it looks most are included already.

Thank you very much! This has been very informative!
I have an entire thread devoted to this question as to what options are desirable if you care to peruse. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ordered-2.html

Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 AM

rustybear3, brilliant! Thank you very much! I should have a done a search in the forum first!

I'll read through that.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 AM

We've now got a price offer back from various dealership and the best discount is around 12.2% (OTR price). Just want to see if you think is a good deal?

Specs include:
E300 Cab AMG Line
Premium Plus Pack
Driving Assistant Pack
Upgraded Leather (not the Nappa)
Standard Paint
Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
Not being familiar with the UK market, 12.2% off sounds reasonable, but not knowing the base price being negotiated is hard to say.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
e53
Originally Posted by mokster
We've now got a price offer back from various dealership and the best discount is around 12.2% (OTR price). Just want to see if you think is a good deal?

Specs include:
E300 Cab AMG Line
Premium Plus Pack
Driving Assistant Pack
Upgraded Leather (not the Nappa)
Standard Paint
I got roughly 10% on an E53 coupe with premium plus pack and night pack. Not sure if discounts are better non AMG models, but 12.2% sounds pretty good.

Have you done a check price with Car Wow?
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd jump on 12.2% if it were me. That's a darn good discount IMO.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM

We've now put a deposit down with one of the dealer in Carwow with around 12.9% discount and a good price for part-ex on our SLK. The local dealer couldn't price match although it was still around 12%.

The final spec being ordered is:
E300 Cab AMG Line
Polar White with black top
Black leather interior
Premium Plus Pack
Driving Assistance Pack

The wife is / me very excited now!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
Congratulations!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM

MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Congrats on placing the order.

Bonus points on using carwow
Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paulgeoghegan
Mokster
I also got a discount of around 12% to 12.5% (just tried to check but my Carwow history has gone).
I bet I know which Mercedes dealer you are going to use They always seem to be the best in terms of discount.
As for the 300 Cab, it is amazing.
It's the only car I have owned that people stop and stare at in the street. I have had photographs taken and beeps with a thumbs up from other road users.
Pretty amazing really.
Anyway, I have Premium Plus, air suspension, 20" AMG's, soft close doors, 360 deg cameras, widescreen dash, perfume dispenser (I forget the proper name for this) etc.
About the only thing I haven't got is the drive assistance.
I don't miss it, but if I was driving 10s of thousands of miles a year I probably would have got it, but I don't and I don't miss it.
Soft close doors is probably not worth it, as passenger slam the door anyway
I went for the proper leather interior in saddle brown with Araganite silver (champagne) paint. Looks beautiful.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Thanks Paulgeoghegan! It's the MB of Sheffield / Yorkshire I went with. If it's the same, how did you find the service?

We put the initial "deposit" down Wednesday last week, which they have send us the order form and other documents on the same day. But we have been trying to get in touch with the person again with them since Thursday last week with no luck (email and phone), which is a bit worrying. The initial call was great and the person was very helpful. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

With regards to the spec, I didn't realise there is the soft close doors option is available as can't find it mentioned anywhere. I think both 360 deg cameras and widescreen dash are now a part of the Premium Plus. We didn't go with the perfume dispenser but was tempted with the Comfort Pack, which includes the Air Control / Nappa Leather and Massage chair. But the cost just couldn't be justified.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paulgeoghegan
Cab 300

HiMy car was ordered through Zainab at Mercedes Benz Grimsby of all places (sorry, hope that’s not your locality).The reason I thought you might have ordered from this dealer is because specced three or four times and each time this dealer was by far the best discount.I think from memory I got a little more than 12%, and that was a year ago, so the model was very new then.I was amazed at the discount on a new model, which was to my own specifications.I ordered in Jan 2018 and got the car at the end of May 18.Paid 1,000 deposit.Soft close was an option. It’s nice but as I said, people don’t know it’s there so slam the door anyway!The air fresher is good, I like it. Supposed to clean the air as well, so more than a nice smell.I took the train to Grimsby Town from London and was picked up at the station.
I was on my way in my brand new cab within a couple of hours.I stopped at a country pub for a sandwich and the first person I saw was an old boy who stopped in his tracks and said ‘lovely car, and nice colour!’If you haven’t already done so I would have the 20” wheels, 19’s look a little small believe it or not.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 AM

Nice car, Paulgeoghegan! I really like the wheels and the colour of the body! No wonder you get loads of compliment!

We've gone for 19" as the wife will be the main driver and she is not too bothered about bigger alloys, although I know what you mean about looking nicer with 20". I am still waiting for hear back from MB of Sheffield and I am not sure if the order has actually be put in. The experience of buying isn't great so far as it's been a week of radio silence when I have a couple of questions on returning the order form.

We did get a similar quote from Grimsby but a lot more further than Sheffield for us as we live in Newcastle. I was too surprised with the discount and the local MB couldn't match it at all. Sometimes I do wonder how the discount works in different main dealers. Each of the "franchise" must have their own margin to work with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering a E300 Cabriolet