E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Review - 5 months 5,000 miles with my 2019 E450 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E450c, 2005 E320 CDI
Review - 5 months 5,000 miles with my 2019 E450 Coupe

My 2019 E450 Coupe was ordered in April of 2018 and delivered September 28, 2018. It now has 5,000 miles on the odometer. I thought I would share my impressions after 5 months of use.

The delivery process from Fletcher Jones Imports in Las Vegas, Nevada was flawless and enjoyable. Krista the Sales Manager and Donny our salesman, were both a pleasure to work with and are consummate professionals.

I chose the Coupe body style over the Cabrio or Sedan mainly because it is so damn beautiful. The car’s proportions and style are so pleasing that practicality of the Sedan is a secondary consideration for my situation. Yes, the doors are wide and heavy and access to the rear seats requires some flexibility, but we don’t often have passengers.

At 1400 miles the Check Engine light sent us to the dealer. It was a faulty charcoal canister in the pollution control system. It was fixed free in two hours. No further problems.

Options: Do they work? Are they worth the money? Would I get them again in my next Mercedes?

· Lunar Blue Metallic paint, Macchiato Beige/Yacht Blue leather: Yes, Yes, Yes. My brother has owned several Mercedes and he loved the interior, called it very relaxing.

· 321 AMG Line exterior package: Yes, Yes, Yes. The 19’ wheels and performance tires look good, fill the wheel wells, and give me all the grip a 69 year old geezer is entitled to. I like the other cosmetic additions with the AMG package also.

· P01 Premium Package: Yes, Yes, Yes. Wireless charging, Keyless-Go, Sirius radio, hands free trunk, all good stuff.

· 319 Exterior Lighting Package: Yes, Yes, Yes. This is one of the most useful options available. The LED lighting is superb, and the Adaptive Highbeam Assist is absolutely great. I live in Arizona, the roads are dark, there are few streetlights in residential area, and my eyes aren’t what they used to be. The high beams adjust for oncoming traffic and traffic taillights in front instantaneously and accurately. I recommend this option without reservation. Plus they look so cool in the start-up routine.

· 488 Energizing Comfort Package and Multi Contour Front Seats w/ Massage Feature: Yes, Kinda, Maybe. I don’t do enough long distance driving to make the most of this option, but I have used it, and it does feel good. I like the Air Balance Cabin Air Purification System and the smell-good Fragrance System. Fragrance refills from Mercedes are expensive, but I haven’t had to replace my original yet, so I guess the price isn’t that bad.

· 996 Parking Assistance Package: Yes, Maybe, Maybe. I got this package because it is the only way to get the Surround View System on the back-up cameras. I like to be able to center between the paint lines when parking. There is not much use for parallel parking assistance in Arizona outside of Phoenix, and I do not park in marginal spaces where the idiot parked in front or behind me has any chance of touching my car. I used the parking assist once, and it does work. It’s pretty cool too. I just don’t have the need for it.

· 997 Driver Assistance Package: Yes, Yes, Yes. I use it all the time, even driving around town and in traffic. I have had no other experience with Level 2/3 driving autonomy, so I have no point of comparison. The Active Lane Keeping Assist works pretty well. There is occasional minor ping-ponging across the lane when the system has trouble reading lane marking (cresting a hill, worn paint on the lanes), and the Active Distance Assist Distronic cruise control waits a little too long to start braking when traffic ahead start to slow for traffic lights, but overall the system works well and I use it all the time. The Lane Change Assist works great at freeway speeds, just use the turn signal and the system checks traffic, moves over a lane, and passes the Q-Tip headed snow-bird geezing along just below the speed limit…whether he’s in the right lane where he belongs, or left lane, which is more common.

· 463 Head-Up Display: Yes, Yes, Yes. It’s a wonderful thing. It flashes speed limit changes, navigation directions, phone information. It’s very useful.

· 464 Dual 12.3 Digital Instrument cluster: Yes, Yes, Yes. Pretty, colorful, useful. You want it.

· 540 Power Rear Window Sunshade: Yes, Yes, Yes. We are in the hottest part of Arizona, the Colorado River Valley across from Laughlin, NV. Yes, you need this to keep some of that sun out of your interior. Cool.

· 883 Soft Close Doors: Yes, Yes, Yes. Never had them before, and I was skeptical of their usefulness. After living with them now, I’m sold. They’re great.

· 810 Burmester Surround Sound System: Yes, Yes, Yes. This was the $850 system, not the $5,000 system. This sounds great to me, I can’t see spending that much more money for the expensive system.

· 070 Chrome Door Handle Inserts: Yes, Yes, Yes. My 2005 E320 CDI showed paint scratches under the door handles. For $70 this is cost effective protection, and I think adds just a little extra matching trim between the windows and wheels.

Driving: What’s not to love about an E series Mercedes? You can feel the engineering excellence every mile you drive. It’s smooth, quiet, powerful. Powerful enough, that is. Claimed 0-60 is 5.0 seconds. Click it to the Sport setting and the shifts are clean and quick. I’ll admit I was a bit envious of the new in-line 6 engine with electric assist/boost that they have since put into the CLS 4 Door Coupe and the AMG models of the E series. But I’m happy with this V6, especially with the added power over the previous 2018 E400.

That’s it. I just thought I’d add my thoughts because when I was doing the build on my car’s order, I read comments here on options and configurations that I found very useful. Maybe some of you will find this useful.

Steve

The following 4 users liked this post by CFD453:
arnsbrae (03-03-2019), BlessedGrateful (03-02-2019), mickhoog (03-06-2019), pdeacon (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
What a beautiful car. The interior is a show stopper!!!. Thanks for the in depth review. Good luck and many miles of happy motoring.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks PD! I appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E53 AMG
Great car and love the interior ! Thanks for the excellent review of your options. Always good to hear this kind of feedback. Enjoy !
The following users liked this post:
CFD453 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model S
Excellent review! I ordered the exact same car, minus the energizing comfort package. I struggled a lot with the exterior color to go with the machiatto/blue interior; happpy now that I stuck with the lunar blue.

I'm about 4 weeks from delivery. It's going to be a very long 4 weeks...
Old 03-03-2019, 09:56 AM

You have excellent taste! Did you notice how long I had to wait from order to delivery? Ask your dealer for the ship's name and tracking link.That'll keep you occupied.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model S
Will definitely do that! I love checking the ship location every 10 minutes.....

And I placed my order in December...so I've been waiting a long time already.

On a side note, I am definitely going to miss my Tesla, but after having two I wanted a change and the EV landscape as it currently stands is just too limited and my lease is ending. Three years from now, I'll definitely be back in an EV... probably from one of the three Germans..
Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C class coupe
Gorgeous car..loved your in depth review. I wanted the E class coupe, such beautiful lines. Was a bit out of budget so went with the 2019 C class coupe. I feel about my car as you do about yours. I am IN LOVE. But I still love to look and admire the E class coupes. Mercedes makes some gorgeous coupes. Driving is a joy. Congrats on yours. I'm about 3,000 miles in on mine now. Happy driving in that beauty.
The following users liked this post:
arnsbrae (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
bmw bike
Thank you So Much, really appreciate the in depth review. Makes me glad I got the soft close doors on order.

Best regards, Tony
Old 03-05-2019, 12:59 AM

That's exactly the kind of help that I wanted to provide! I hope you get yours soon.
Steve
Old 03-05-2019, 01:06 AM

Thanks Boss. The wife never has to ask me twice to go out and run an errand. It's like I'm 16 again...but not quite so crazy and I know I'm definitely not immortal so I'm a much safer driver! Once again driving is the most fun I can have with my clothes on.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:10 AM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
i love that blue interior option - very 60s/70s - when the mercedes back then you could get with a full colour interior, like all blue; and all green, and all brown, etc.

I am thinking of selling my E220d saloon and get an E450 Coupe, if i can make the numbers work.

Thanks for taking the time to record your comments about the options you chose. In Australia, most of those are 'standard' on a 450 because they are priced higher here. The only option really is the active multi contour seats, so now i read your comments, that's an option that i can easily skip over.

The yacht blue / beige interior is no longer available to order here, so that's a bummer. Is your steering wheel beige? I would like it to be blue however, but the beige still looks nice.

Cheers
Michael. (Australia)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 AM

Thanks Mike. The wheel is beige like the rest of the leather. I believe that's the only color wheel available with the yacht blue. I love the wheel, it's thickly padded and has a great feel. The switches and mini mouse pad type swipey things require a little learning curve and practice, but you're rewarded with quite a bit of control over many systems without letting go of the steering wheel.
Steve