E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

E 400 Coupe C238 standard stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e 400 Coupé -17, S 220 -64
E 400 Coupe C238 standard stereo upgrade

Hi, love the car but hate the dull sound of stock stereo system, which is a joke by general standards and a mistake by Mercedes. Well there is nothing money canīt fix.
I was wondering is there forum member, that could share project pictures and comments on selected products with their + and -īs?

1. I am thinking totally upgrading the door speaker 2+2(speaker + sweeter per door)
2. is there wiring for firwall left and right midbass? Overall is this significant for a good sound experience?
3. Adding active subwoofer to spare wheel space. Need to know where to get signal and your preferences on working sub?

Last edited by Kemp; 04-09-2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 AM

bumb
Old 04-13-2021, 01:06 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
What sound system does you car have? My 2018 E400 Coupe came with the optional Burmester Surround Sound System, which I find quite satisfactory — considering it's in a car and not my living room. IMHO, trying to replicate the sound of a true high fidelity stereo system for your home in a car is a fool's errand, especially considering that most of the time you'll presumably be listening to it while driving.

Last edited by The_Judge; 04-13-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E220d AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Kemp
Hi, love the car but hate the dull sound of stock stereo system, which is a joke by general standards and a mistake by Mercedes. Well there is nothing money canīt fix.
I was wondering is there forum member, that could share project pictures and comments on selected products with their + and -īs?

1. I am thinking totally upgrading the door speaker 2+2(speaker + sweeter per door)
2. is there wiring for firwall left and right midbass? Overall is this significant for a good sound experience?
3. Adding active subwoofer to spare wheel space. Need to know where to get signal and your preferences on working sub?
Have the exactly set up as you and currently have the Audison Prima/Hertz Audio upgrade being currently installed in my e-class cabriolet. The links below, so all the components that I am having installed.

Audison Prima F8.9bit - 8 channel DSP amp
Audison Prima DRC - DSP Remote (customer fitted into sunglasses holder)
Audison Prima AP8 (Q+) Pair of 8" mid-bass speakers with kick well mounts
Hertz Mille Legend 700.3 70cm midrange components
Hertz Mille Legend 280.3 28mm tweeters
Audison APBX AS2 Active 10" subwoofer.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:12 AM

To The Judge: My car has been ordered with standard system and it is so poor. Burmester system is from another world compared to this, so it is just sun shine and smiles in your case!
To Cage911: Just the kind of retrofit I have been thinking, but maybe with out the trunk subwoofer.. As I am base here in Finland, sound tuners are all taking about Gladen retrofit kit but have not seen or heard them. Would love to hear your evaluation on sound amount, quality and level of bass and bass pressure this package generates with or without the back subwoofer. So much waiting for your comments, thanks!
Old 04-15-2021, 06:20 AM

E220d AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Kemp
To The Judge: My car has been ordered with standard system and it is so poor. Burmester system is from another world compared to this, so it is just sun shine and smiles in your case!
To Cage911: Just the kind of retrofit I have been thinking, but maybe with out the trunk subwoofer.. As I am base here in Finland, sound tuners are all taking about Gladen retrofit kit but have not seen or heard them. Would love to hear your evaluation on sound amount, quality and level of bass and bass pressure this package generates with or without the back subwoofer. So much waiting for your comments, thanks!
I had the Gladen kits in my previous car, a BMW 3 series convertible (E93). They are not bad components, if you just want to improve the speakers and still run the off the headunit. Obviously you would get their full potential without running a DSP amplifer like a Mosconi, Match or Audison amp.

The set up I have now, has made such an amazing difference. The sound staging is so more accurate and the clarity majorly improved. I now get no distortion regardless how loud I turn the volume. Even without using the subwoofer, there is such major improvement in bass response. Which should be expected, when going from one 6.5" midbass in the passenger foot well to 8" mid-bass speaker in both the passenger and driver side foot well.

It is not a cheap upgrade, but I want best speakers for the budget I had set.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:31 AM

E220d AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Cage911
I had the Gladen kits in my previous car, a BMW 3 series convertible (E93). They are not bad components, if you just want to improve the speakers and still run the off the headunit. Obviously you would get their full potential without running a DSP amplifer like a Mosconi, Match or Audison amp.

The set up I have now, has made such an amazing difference. The sound staging is so more accurate and the clarity majorly improved. I now get no distortion regardless how loud I turn the volume. Even without using the subwoofer, there is such major improvement in bass response. Which should be expected, when going from one 6.5" midbass in the passenger foot well to 8" mid-bass speaker in both the passenger and driver side foot well.

It is not a cheap upgrade, but I want best speakers for the budget I had set.

As you can see from the pictures, the install has been kept as OEM/stealth as possible and the active subwoofer has hardly taken up any boot space in my convertible.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:10 PM

E400 Coupe
Talking Upgrade

I am Looking to upgrade the sound system without sacrificing sound quality...the sound is good but need more volume