E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Very Confused - Active Traffic Jam Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2023 | 04:33 PM

2023 E-Class Coupe (C238)
Very Confused - Active Traffic Jam Assist

My 2023 E450 has the driver assistance package. It lists Active Stop and Go as one of the functions. It's used with Distronic and Cruise Control on. And in another thread, it said you had to activate it by selecting "Settings" then "Quick Access" then "Active Traffic Jam Assist". My car has no such selection. Am I missing something? Or is there a different way to activate or use this system?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-18-2023 | 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by Archangel60
My 2023 E450 has the driver assistance package. It lists Active Stop and Go as one of the functions. It's used with Distronic and Cruise Control on. And in another thread, it said you had to activate it by selecting "Settings" then "Quick Access" then "Active Traffic Jam Assist". My car has no such selection. Am I missing something? Or is there a different way to activate or use this system?

Thanks for any help!
while I don’t have an E series, in my car active stop and go is on any time the distronic is on. It just maintains a distance even in stop and go traffic. In my car, you can be stopped for up to 30 seconds and it will resume when the car in front moves without having to hit the resume or the gas. It may not work on two lane roads.
The following users liked this post:
Archangel60 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-18-2023 | 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I'm not sure what Active Traffic Jam Assist offers above DISTRONIC with Active Steering Assist, and it might be a European thing only. I haven't seen the term used in conjunction with Mercedes. Found this link below, but it's for the UK. Seems the only thing it does is increasing the pulling away time to up to 60 seconds. The rest is already handled by DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist. I don't have an Active Traffic Jam Assist setting in my 2019 C63S, either, but I have DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist. With both of them turned on the car practically drives itself in stop&go situations, but the pulling away is up to 30 seconds only. Still plenty for most scenarios.

https://moba.i.mercedes-benz.com/bai...d6-en-GB.html#
Archangel60 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023 | 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm not sure what Active Traffic Jam Assist offers above DISTRONIC with Active Steering Assist, and it might be a European thing only. I haven't seen the term used in conjunction with Mercedes. Found this link below, but it's for the UK. Seems the only thing it does is increasing the pulling away time to up to 60 seconds. The rest is already handled by DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist. I don't have an Active Traffic Jam Assist setting in my 2019 C63S, either, but I have DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist. With both of them turned on the car practically drives itself in stop&go situations, but the pulling away is up to 30 seconds only. Still plenty for most scenarios.
Yeah maybe I need to get into a jam situation and see if the car will do its thing. One of the sales people at the dealership said that I need to leave the cruise control on and it will start. This makes no sense because what if I enter a traffic jam without first using cruise control?
Old 02-24-2023 | 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah maybe I need to get into a jam situation and see if the car will do its thing. One of the sales people at the dealership said that I need to leave the cruise control on and it will start. This makes no sense because what if I enter a traffic jam without first using cruise control?
As usual, most sales people don't know what they are talking about. It works fine in traffic jams. You can enter a traffic jam, come to a complete stop and then while stopped activate DISTRONIC and it will do its job. I use it whenever I enter a traffic jam.
Old 03-05-2023 | 07:23 PM

Well I finally got it to work the other day. If you're on the freeway and don't have Distronic on, you can, when stopped, activate Distronic and it will work in stop and go traffic, but you must set a speed. I set it to 15MPH and it worked as advertised. I have not tried it when using Distronic while driving and then coming to a stop, but I assume it will perform then as well. My point here was that I don't always use Distronic when I'm on the freeway, but sometimes I hit a traffic jam and would like to know how to activate it for stop and go. Now I know.

Thanks for the input.

Once again, peace reigns in the valley.
Old 03-05-2023 | 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
... but you must set a speed. I set it to 15MPH ...
Oh, I think I see where the confusion came from. I don't even think about this anymore. If you activate DISTRONIC using the RES instead of SET switch, then it sets an initial speed. Either your current speed or the last set speed. I believe if you are completely stopped and the last speed stored has previously been cleared, then it actually sets it to an initial default speed, which might actually be 15 mph if memory serves, or the last detected speed limit sign, read on.

If you then press RES a second time, it adopts the detected speed limit, see the highlighted parts below. So that's what I do. I always press RES twice basically when I activate DISTRONIC. That sets it to the current speed limit and I'm good to go. Then once traffic is moving again I press SET+ twice to increase it to 10 mph over the speed limit, which is what everybody around here typically drives, but I never press SET+ or SET- to activate DISTRONIC. I always active it using RES, and then if the speed is not what I want, I press RES again to set it to the current speed limit and then SET+ to adjust it upward as desired.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-05-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Archangel60 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-08-2023 | 01:03 PM

none
I have noticed that if I am on an actual highway, when I stop behind a stopped car, the distronic indicator on the dash will blink slowly and if the traffic moves it will start up again and resume following the car in front of me. Great for traffic jams

However, if I'm on a side road, even one with a pretty high speed limit, and I'm using distroinic, when it stops in traffic, it will not blink and in order to resume moving when the car in front of me pulls away, I have to tap the gas.
Old 03-08-2023 | 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by gmt58
I have noticed that if I am on an actual highway, when I stop behind a stopped car, the distronic indicator on the dash will blink slowly and if the traffic moves it will start up again and resume following the car in front of me. Great for traffic jams

However, if I'm on a side road, even one with a pretty high speed limit, and I'm using distroinic, when it stops in traffic, it will not blink and in order to resume moving when the car in front of me pulls away, I have to tap the gas.
The blinking indicates that the extended resume is active. On a highway, DISTRONIC remains ready for 30 seconds if you come to a full stop in traffic and as long as the traffic starts moving again within 30 seconds it automatically resumes. On surface streets this is not active and it only remains ready for 3 seconds. It uses the navigation data to know what type of road you are on, and depending on the road you get more or less freedom. On the highway it also allows for up to 30 seconds of handsfree driving, whereas on surface streets it warns much sooner if your hands are not on the steering wheel. The lane changing assist is also only active on highways.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-08-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2023 | 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
The blinking indicates that the extended resume is active. On a highway, DISTRONIC remains ready for 30 seconds if you come to a full stop in traffic and as long as the traffic starts moving again within 30 seconds it automatically resumes. On surface streets this is not active and it only remains ready for 3 seconds. It uses the navigation data to know what type of road you are on, and depending on the road you get more or less freedom. On the highway it also allows for up to 30 seconds of handsfree driving, whereas on surface streets it warns much sooner if your hands are not on the steering wheel. The lane changing assist is also only active on highways.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was confused for awhile. I thought the 30 seconds wasn’t working. Then I remembered construction. The road was changed from 2 lane to 4. The maps didn’t have the new information yet.
Old 03-08-2023 | 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gmt58

By the way, you do not have to tap the gas. Just hit the resume button.
Archangel60 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-08-2023 | 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
By the way, you do not have to tap the gas. Just hit the resume button.
Right, and you can actually hit it before the car in front is even moving as long as it is within 3 seconds.
Archangel60 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023 | 02:04 PM

And this is why I come here. Smart gents who know all the tricks to these electronic cars!