E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Android Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E400
Android Auto

2018 E400.. unable to load Android auto. I've tried USB connection but no luck., any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2024, 08:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
'18 E400 Cab
Can you describe what it's doing in more detail? Does it even try to start up? I'm assuming you're using the USB port in the tray, not the armrest.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:16 AM

2018 E400
Originally Posted by Grant_J
Can you describe what it's doing in more detail? Does it even try to start up? I'm assuming you're using the USB port in the tray, not the armrest.
Thanks for your reply. I've tried every USB port that I could find.
When I try to open it, the display menu will show both Android Auto and Apple options. When I choose Android, it opens the Android auto symbol on the display, but the menu won't let me choose the device to connect to.

Last edited by glane; 05-13-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:11 AM

2018 E400
Found the cause, bad USB cable. Even though it would charge the phone, it wouldn't let Android auto open
Old 05-13-2024, 11:45 AM

'18 E400 Cab
Originally Posted by glane
Found the cause, bad USB cable. Even though it would charge the phone, it wouldn't let Android auto open
Glad you found it. That's common for AA to be finicky. I've found it doesn't like you moving the phone or cable while in use or it glitches out. Tried multiple cables and they all do it for some reason. If anyone has a fix for this I'd love to hear it. Hit a bump or bump the cable with a cup in cupholder, AA drops out.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:54 AM

2018 E400
Glad you found it. That's common for AA to be finicky. I've found it doesn't like you moving the phone or cable while in use or it glitches out. Tried multiple cables and they all do it for some reason. If anyone has a fix for this I'd love to hear it. Hit a bump or bump the cable with a cup in cupholder, AA drops out.
It seems that the USB port might wiggle too much possibly..
Old 05-15-2024, 11:17 AM

'18 E400 Cab
Originally Posted by glane
It seems that the USB port might wiggle too much possibly..
You'd think so, but no. I can wiggle the USB at the port all over with no disruption. If I wiggle the wire by itself, it disconnects. Again, bought and tried multiple wires and they all do this. Would love a suggested cable that works for someone so I can get exactly the right thing.
Old 07-09-2024, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
20' E53
So i use the motorola MA1 to wirelessly connect. But there are a couple of things to consider.
1. If your phone is newer, you need to be able to charge it faster then AA drains the battery. AA wireless is power hog. Therefore in my experience you need a cigarette lighter charger that outputs 42watts or 3.5A. For reference the standard usb and aa usb outlet only outputs around 2A. For cable management, I opened glove box. Popped off the 2 rubber grommets to expose torx screws. Pulled screws and cover off. Then there maybe a couple more screws under cover. I cant remember. Then you can lift up center console at a angle upwards. Then route power cable from passenger side to driverside in the grove the dash and center console make. Push center console bacl down, pinching cable slightly. Re assble back together. You can look up on youtube for video on how disassemble the center console.
2. Wireless AA seems to be a bit har don phone. When charging and utilizing AA auto, phone van het fairly warm.
3. I am SG20.

4. Below i have included links and also my phone mount set up as well. Combined mount and another mounts strong magnet i to one. Since the magnet is weak that comes with it. I also picked up some foam window sealer padding. Installed on back of mount to make snug fit and remove rattle. I think this is very slick mount.
I have used everything here on '19 E450 and '20 E53
Hope this is helpful for you.
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by MichiganTim; 07-09-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet
You'd think so, but no. I can wiggle the USB at the port all over with no disruption. If I wiggle the wire by itself, it disconnects. Again, bought and tried multiple wires and they all do this. Would love a suggested cable that works for someone so I can get exactly the right thing.
Belkin makes good kit. See the link in the previous reply above mine by MichiganTim. There is a WIDE variety of quality of wires available out there. While I would stop short of buying the MB store option, get a dedicated cable for the vehicle that features braided cover and beefy plugs.
The following users liked this post:
MichiganTim (07-21-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 02:18 AM

2019 E450 Cabriolet

Last edited by Killowatts; 07-20-2024 at 02:20 AM.
MichiganTim (07-21-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 02:21 AM

2019 E450 Cabriolet
From a UX perspective, I'm curious why you mount the phone up on the instrument area vs. putting it in the designated pocket under the cover. As a long-time AA user, both wireless in my 2023 Bolt and wired in my previous F-150, the phone is always "connect and forget" while I'm driving. Sometimes as you said the wireless AA while charging can tend to cook the phone. The Bolt sometimes tells me the phone is getting too hot and to take it off the wireless charging pad for a while. But I never "use" or manipulate the phone while driving, everything I need is on the AA screen on my car's head unit or is accessible via voice command. Just curious what use case I'm overlooking that makes such a mount needed.

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by MichiganTim
So i use the motorola MA1 to wirelessly connect. But there are a couple of things to consider.
1. If your phone is newer, you need to be able to charge it faster then AA drains the battery. AA wireless is power hog. Therefore in my experience you need a cigarette lighter charger that outputs 42watts or 3.5A. For reference the standard usb and aa usb outlet only outputs around 2A. For cable management, I opened glove box. Popped off the 2 rubber grommets to expose torx screws. Pulled screws and cover off. Then there maybe a couple more screws under cover. I cant remember. Then you can lift up center console at a angle upwards. Then route power cable from passenger side to driverside in the grove the dash and center console make. Push center console bacl down, pinching cable slightly. Re assble back together. You can look up on youtube for video on how disassemble the center console.
2. Wireless AA seems to be a bit har don phone. When charging and utilizing AA auto, phone van het fairly warm.
3. I am SG20.

4. Below i have included links and also my phone mount set up as well. Combined mount and another mounts strong magnet i to one. Since the magnet is weak that comes with it. I also picked up some foam window sealer padding. Installed on back of mount to make snug fit and remove rattle. I think this is very slick mount.
I have used everything here on '19 E450 and '20 E53
Hope this is helpful for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MA1-...3&gad_source=1

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BoostC...s%2C110&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Dash...s%2C167&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Mira...%2C162&sr=8-13
MichiganTim (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 10:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
20' E53
Well sometimes my phone doesnt connect auto. Maxed out on bluetooth connections. The wireless charging in the past hasnt kept up with the aa wireless drain. Us i have leather wallet style case. Sometimes I need to one press some apps that arent shown in aa. If phone is wigging out too.