E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Anybody heard of this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 300D(the trusted), 97 E420(the ticketed)
Anybody heard of this?

I bought another benz (85 300D) and it had aftermarket intake on it. Thought it was home made till I saw this http://www.wadeperformanceproducts.com/diesel.html Has anyone ever seen or used this stuff? The car now has about every vac line cut and pluged and needs a new upper oilcooler line so I only had a short drive in it, it feels way slower then my 84.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

1984 300D,82 Volvo Diesel
I normally hang out at another forum. On that forum the member question the ability of the filter to filter as well as the normal Paper Element Filters and other question the idea of sucking in the Hot under the hood air.

I cannot comment on how well the filter will filter but I did a test with a digital Thermometer that has a remote probe. (On my 300D.)

I put the probe under the hood on the Air Filter housing and stuck the Thermometer that has a magnetic base on my hood and drove around.
What I found is that while the Car is moving the under the hood temp is almost the same as the outside temp.
The under the hood temp does go up at idle. It went up to about 119 degrees F at idle. but, at idle that temp has no effect on your performance.
So I concluded that unless you have some sort of belly pan under your Car when the Car is moving you are not sucking in hot air.

If your Filter is like my K&N Filter in order to get it to work properly you are going to need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. I my case it means cleaning it and re-oiling it properly.

Concerning your Oil Cooler Lines. You need to be carful when you change them.
Often the Aluminum Oil Cooler Nipples are corroded to the Oil Cooler Line nut.

I backed off my upper Oil Cooler Nut only to find that a piece of the Oil Cooler Nipple stuck in the threads of the Nut and when I backed it out proceeded to damage the last 3 threads.
I was lucky that there was enough threads left to thread the Oil Cooler Line back on.
However, stripped Oil cooler Nipples are common enough that Mercedes has a repair for the problem.
To effect the repair you have to Order a set of Steel Nipples for around $25 from the dealer and buy a Tap and Drill for them. You cut off the Old Nipple; drill the hole, use the Tap to thread the hole and install the Steel Nipples.

For more details on your repair needs check this site:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf
Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by StevieBenz
I bought another benz (85 300D) and it had aftermarket intake on it.
100% complete and total waste of money. It will result in ZERO power gain, no fuel economy gain and convert the stock cold air intake into a hot air intake.

I strongly suggest upgrading your car back to the stock intake system.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
100% complete and total waste of money. It will result in ZERO power gain, no fuel economy gain and convert the stock cold air intake into a hot air intake.

I strongly suggest upgrading your car back to the stock intake system.
This is exactly correct.

Curious what system you know of on a 240D that can "detect" increased airflow (which you aren't going to get anyway) and adjust fueling to match. There ain't no electronics, you know.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM

1985 300TD
240D 1974-1976
W11
5Non-Turbo
What is this butterfly valve for on this kit and what is that linkage
hooked up to? linkage from the injector pump? Is that what a 240D intake looks like?
These intakes for the SD kit look like stock intakes to me. the very first picture shows the mounting ears for the stock air cleaner bracket.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by Do D Do
240D 1974-1976
W115Non-Turbo
hooked up to?
*after fixing the annoying font*

Thats the throttle. Without it, the engine will revv out of control and destroy itself. There is no linkage to the injection pump on that model except the start/stop lever from the dash.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

1984 300D,82 Volvo Diesel
Originally Posted by Do D Do
240D 1974-1976
W115Non-Turbo
hooked up to? linkage from the injector pump? Is that what a 240D intake looks like?
These intakes for the SD kit look like stock intakes to me. the very first picture shows the mounting ears for the stock air cleaner bracket.
Some of the older Cars have Fuel Injection Pumps that us a Pneumatic Governor instead of a Mechanical Governor.
The Pneumatic Governor needs Vacuum from the Intake Maniold to regulate it.
In a Diesel Intake Manifold there is no Vacuum (unless your Air Filter is restricted) so they install the Throttle/Butterfly Valve to create a restriction that creates Vacuum in the Intake Manifold.
A variation of Vacuum in the Intake Manifold aces on the Pneumatic Governor and changes the amount of fuel delivered.
The Pnuematic Governor had a Diaphragm made of what I have been told is oiled Goat Skin. Over the years they become stiff or get holes in them and need to be replaced.
Unfortunately a new Diaphragam cost in the $250-$280 something range and you need to be carful when you change it as there are shimms in specific places that are used to tune the Governor; they need to go back in the same position they came from.
Also there is a port exposed to the atmoshpere. That port some times becomes restricted due to corrosion and alters the function of your Governor.

Last edited by 300Dman; 02-10-2010 at 01:20 PM.