E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Is my car totaled? *Pics ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 , Lexus IS350
Is my car totaled? *Pics ...

My car was hit while parked. How much you think the repair would be? Would it be consider as totaled? The car starts but doesn't sound/feel right at all.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:12 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Check if there is any structural damage first. If you do the work yourself it's not too expensive. All new fenders, hood, grille, radiator, fan clutch, shroud, and headlights are bolt on and reasonably priced on eBay or other sources. I'd guess $1500 in parts. The engine pulleys and belt will cost more if damaged. The radiator over-rider panel is welded on. You will have to drill out the spot welds and hole weld the new panel on. Painting will cost maybe another $1500.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:16 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
What happened!?!

If it's totalled. can I buy those wheels? :p
Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 AM

'95 3.2 M104
94-95 e320 i see....! I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll check the damage thru ULTRAMATE and it will show me the ACV% in damages. Let me know your VIN#
Old 04-10-2005, 01:40 PM

90 300e and B5 S4
That doesn't look bad at all. Totaled, well that depends on the estimate the insurance company comes up with. Whatever is cheaper for them is the route they will take.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by pifcat2
Check if there is any structural damage first. If you do the work yourself it's not too expensive. All new fenders, hood, grille, radiator, fan clutch, shroud, and headlights are bolt on and reasonably priced on eBay or other sources. I'd guess $1500 in parts. The engine pulleys and belt will cost more if damaged. The radiator over-rider panel is welded on. You will have to drill out the spot welds and hole weld the new panel on. Painting will cost maybe another $1500.
I'm not going to do the work myself. Most likely I'm bringing it to the Mercedes-Dealer.

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
What happened!?!

If it's totalled. can I buy those wheels? :p
I've been thinking about that. If my car is totaled, I would like to put my original wheels back on, but would I be able to do that? Will the insurance let me?

Originally Posted by GORBETTTEAM
94-95 e320 i see....! I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll check the damage thru ULTRAMATE and it will show me the ACV% in damages. Let me know your VIN#
What is Ultramate and ACV%?

Originally Posted by overboostTSI
That doesn't look bad at all. Totaled, well that depends on the estimate the insurance company comes up with. Whatever is cheaper for them is the route they will take.
I know, that's what I was trying to say. Does it look like the cost to repair the car is going to be more than what the car value is?

Here is the story:
My car was parked at the corner of an intersection. A car was hit while it was turning and went straight for my car. It pushed my car back 2 feet and my rear hit the car that was parked behind mine. Three hours after the accident I went to pick up my car and saw my car like this. Witnesses told me that the police was there and there was a huge accident.
I am going to pick up a copy of the police report on Monday and call the other guy's insurance to see what's up. From what my insurance tells me, they will be paying for ALL the damages from the accident, the towing fees, and a free rental car while my car is being repaired.

Should I be hoping that my car is totaled or get enough money to fix everything?

Last edited by 349 BHP; 04-10-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:05 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
of course the insurance would let you do so. .

let's not hope your car is totalled though.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:48 PM

Sorry to be off topic but is that Staten Island?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

91' 300e // 99 300e TD // 00' ML55 AMG
oh god im gonna cry man, that's so F cucked, i feel for u man, good luck with that
Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
of course the insurance would let you do so. .

let's not hope your car is totalled though.
So if i bring my car to the dealer to get a quote and they said my car is totaled, I can just take off the 17" wheels and put my stocks on before they take the car away from me?

Originally Posted by Chris_W124
Sorry to be off topic but is that Staten Island?
No, it's near Long Island

Originally Posted by e320newbie
oh god im gonna cry man, that's so F cucked, i feel for u man, good luck with that
Thanks
If my car is totaled, I'm planning to purchase a C32 AMG.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
if your planning to get it fixed at the dealer... or a reputable shop.... im betting that your parts and labor are going to run around the 8-10K mark... your going to get killed on labor....

your insurance appraiser and the body shop/dealer arent going to charge you the cheaper prices that you could find on ebay.... they are going to charge you an arm and a leg....

but, in all honesty... i really hope they dont total your car out...

if its not to much... get it fixed..... use it as a daily driver...

and get that c32 amg anyways.....

-carino
Old 04-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
I don't think that is 8-10k worth of damage.

1st, the insurance is most likely going to allow for aftermarket parts to be put on.

The damage does not look all that bad from what I can see.

New radiator support, headlights, hood, grill, fenders and bumper from what I can see, but you wont really know until it is looked at by a proper shop. Remember the insurance will most likely try to lowball it as much as possible.

keep us posted.

I was rear ended at over 35 mph, and I thought my car was going to be totaled, but the insurance fixed, cost them around $10,000 or more. they had valued my car at over $20k, so thats why they fixed it. I was hoping they would total it and I would have gotten paid out for a replacement cost, but they fixed it, so I had the best shop I know of do it.

Came out looking better than before.

AshMan
Old 04-11-2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesCarino
if your planning to get it fixed at the dealer... or a reputable shop.... im betting that your parts and labor are going to run around the 8-10K mark... your going to get killed on labor....

your insurance appraiser and the body shop/dealer arent going to charge you the cheaper prices that you could find on ebay.... they are going to charge you an arm and a leg....

but, in all honesty... i really hope they dont total your car out...

if its not to much... get it fixed..... use it as a daily driver...

and get that c32 amg anyways.....

-carino
I shouldn't be paying for anything though, so should I be worrying about how much the repair is going to be? I just want to know if the repair is going to cost more than what the car value is.

Originally Posted by ashman
I don't think that is 8-10k worth of damage.

1st, the insurance is most likely going to allow for aftermarket parts to be put on.

The damage does not look all that bad from what I can see.

New radiator support, headlights, hood, grill, fenders and bumper from what I can see, but you wont really know until it is looked at by a proper shop. Remember the insurance will most likely try to lowball it as much as possible.

keep us posted.

I was rear ended at over 35 mph, and I thought my car was going to be totaled, but the insurance fixed, cost them around $10,000 or more. they had valued my car at over $20k, so thats why they fixed it. I was hoping they would total it and I would have gotten paid out for a replacement cost, but they fixed it, so I had the best shop I know of do it.

Came out looking better than before.

AshMan
How much do you think my car is valued? 94 E320 w/ 85K miles. I don't mind the car being repaired. I'm sure it will "look" better than before. But i know it won't feel the same anymore.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:50 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
*cough* C32 AMG :v
Old 04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Sorry to hear about your car. I was an insurance adjuster for 20 years. Remember the car is still yours and you can do whatever you want to it. The insurance company will value the car on the condition it is when they inspect it. If you want to put the 15" wheels back on they can not stop you but they will value the car with the 15" not 17" wheels. If you plan to reuse the 17's then keep them as they will not add that much to the car's value. If the insurance company totals the car you can still keep it. They owe you the value of the car and if you keep it they will deduct the salvage value which one an older car should be no more than 20%.
If you have the time and the place to work on it you can either fix the car yourself or part it out. If you part it out I would not ne surprised if you could get far more than the 20%. This site alone would probaly buy most of the parts so if you do part it out try hear first and then ebay.
Good luck
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 AM

1991 300E
cml55 is right on, I had a 92 190E that I was driving when somebody rear ended me. Didn't look like that much damage, trunk, quarter panel, bumper, but the car was only worth $6,000 blue book and the insurance company totaled it. What the insurance co. basically does is compare the cost of the repair to the value of the car. If the repair is about 70% or greater of the value of the car, they will total it. So your car is probably worth about $11,000 (Like cml55 said they won't give you a whole lot for aftermarket items) so if you get an estimate of $7,000 or more to fix your car, they will probably total it. IF they total it you can always buy the car back from them after they've paid you what the car is worth(indemnified). In my case, the ins co. gave me $6,000 for my 92 190E 2.6 with 110k miles. I bought the car back from the ins. co. for $500. I then sold the car to Potomac German Auto for $1,000 and they've probably sold the parts for close to $2 or $3k.

Taking it to a dealer will increase the repair cost. If you really want to keep the car and there is another body shop that you trust that might be cheaper, get them to give an estimate. Even if they total the car, but you want to keep it, you can buy the car from them after they total it and use the money to pay for the repairs. However if the repairs are more than your check from the ins. co., you're screwed. It sucks, but if they total your car, I would either get another one or buy it for the salvage parts ONLY if you have a willing buyer and or want to part out the car yourself.

Last edited by mhorn; 04-11-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 AM

1991 300ce, 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
Originally Posted by cml55
Sorry to hear about your car. I was an insurance adjuster for 20 years. Remember the car is still yours and you can do whatever you want to it. The insurance company will value the car on the condition it is when they inspect it. If you want to put the 15" wheels back on they can not stop you but they will value the car with the 15" not 17" wheels. If you plan to reuse the 17's then keep them as they will not add that much to the car's value. If the insurance company totals the car you can still keep it. They owe you the value of the car and if you keep it they will deduct the salvage value which one an older car should be no more than 20%.
If you have the time and the place to work on it you can either fix the car yourself or part it out. If you part it out I would not ne surprised if you could get far more than the 20%. This site alone would probaly buy most of the parts so if you do part it out try hear first and then ebay.
Good luck
this is all true....BUT, you forgot one small but important factor...do you own the car out-right? in other words are you still paying on it? Because if you are and depending on your policy, you may not be able to remove the wheels(if they're insured,meaning the ins. co. knows about them). Your policy may only be a pay-off type where all the insurance will do in the case of a total loss is pay off what you owe the finance co. and leave you high and dry with no car and no money. Believe me, I talk from experience. I tried to remove the Recaro seats from my truck after it was totaled and the insurance co. told me to put the seats back or to send them along, either way the seats were theirs. $1600 down the drain.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:47 AM

So from what CML55 and MHORN said, if the insurance totals my car, i should buy it back from them either to fix the damage and keep the car, or to sell/part it. Tbone55: I own the car .. it is paid for ever since Jan 1994.

I just have one major problem right now. I am waiting for the police report (IF THERE IS ANY) from the accident. I went to the precinct, there is a report for my car, but that is not the report from the other parties. I don't mind waiting, but I'm so scared that there is no report made during the accident. If there isn't any ... I'm screwed.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 AM

1991 300E
I would not be so quick to buy the car back IF they total it out. Like I said before, if they total it and you buy it for salvage with the intention of fixing it, you're on your own, all the repairs will be paid for out of your pocket. Keep in mind also that your vehicle will then have a salvage title. Not a big deal to you, but the kiss o death if you ever wanted to sell the car. Like I said, unless you want a junker in your back yard that you're going to be pulling parts off of and selling on Ebay for then next 2 years, the only way I would buy the car for salvage is if you have a willing buyer for the whole vehicle. The insurance company will call around to slavage yards and see how much they can get for the vehicle, that amount is probably what they will want if you decide to buy the car for salvage. By the way, have they provided you with a rental car? If not you should demand one.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:13 AM

I didn't get in contact with the other guy's insurance yet, because I don't even know WHO hit my car. Like i said, I'm screwed if within the next couple of days there is no report.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Almost a Member!

I wanted to clarify a point about the salvage. Unless the laws in New York are different than MO if the other party's insurance agrees to pay you for your car and you decide to keep the car to fix or sell it then the title remains in your name and you do not get a salvage title. For example if they say the car is worth $10,000 and you can keep the salvage for $1,500 then the insurance company should just give you a check for $8,500 and you keep the title and at least in MO you do not have to get a salvage title. If you decide to fix it if the repairs cost less than what they gave you you keep the $, but if the repairs cost more than what you got then you have to pay the $ out of your pocket.
If you have the names of the other people involved in the accident you might call them to see if they have the name of the insurance company. Waiting for the police report can take forever.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cml55
I wanted to clarify a point about the salvage. Unless the laws in New York are different than MO if the other party's insurance agrees to pay you for your car and you decide to keep the car to fix or sell it then the title remains in your name and you do not get a salvage title. For example if they say the car is worth $10,000 and you can keep the salvage for $1,500 then the insurance company should just give you a check for $8,500 and you keep the title and at least in MO you do not have to get a salvage title. If you decide to fix it if the repairs cost less than what they gave you you keep the $, but if the repairs cost more than what you got then you have to pay the $ out of your pocket.
If you have the names of the other people involved in the accident you might call them to see if they have the name of the insurance company. Waiting for the police report can take forever.
I don't know who hit my car.
I found a licence plate underneath my car, but the precinct wouldn't run the plate for me or tell me who the owner of the plate # is. They DID check on the computer though, to see if that car has gotten into an accident, but nothing showed up. I need them to run the plate and give the owner of the plate a call to ask them if they got into an accident, is that possible?
I went to the precinct again today, no luck ..... is all i can do is just wait?
I have one of the witness's cell phone #. I'm going to give her a call tomorrow. But will she be able to help me?
Old 04-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Almost a Member!

1989 MBZ 300e
i would say..

If you got full coverage automobile insurance and your insurance company declare that car is totaled, you will be "rewarded" with full estimate of your car taken from www.bluebook.com, well there is really nice option there - you check alloy rims or window tint or something you wish to check, and estimate will go higher ... so its all relly depends.
last time i hit and ran i was so worried for the the owner of other car... but was too afraid to let him know who hit him(her) ~~~
Old 04-17-2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by unsobill
If you got full coverage automobile insurance and your insurance company declare that car is totaled, you will be "rewarded" with full estimate of your car taken from www.bluebook.com, well there is really nice option there - you check alloy rims or window tint or something you wish to check, and estimate will go higher ... so its all relly depends.
last time i hit and ran i was so worried for the the owner of other car... but was too afraid to let him know who hit him(her) ~~~
The report is in! I'm picking up a copy on Monday.

Question:
Like you said, if they said it's totaled, it will be quoted from "Kelley Blue Book Private Party Value" or "Trade-In Value"? That's a $2000 difference...
But either way, I will only get $7,000 MAX if my car is totaled????! The engine wiring harness itself cost me $2000 to replace couple of months ago.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Almost a Member!

1989 MBZ 300e
through your lawyer...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is my car totaled? *Pics ...