E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New Muffler!!!! **pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Thanks for the info Ben.

Where there are more reasons to why I want to get an exhaust. I've been noticing a lot of exhaust leaks and rust holes within the muffler and what not. Doesn't cause problems? People think I've poked holes into my exhaust since it sounds like have a aftermarket. Anyhow, rather than replacing that with OEM, I just wanted to go straight out aftermarket. Do you have any more information for the Ansa (btw, is that still a center exhaust or ansa piping) and Sprewell exhaust?

I came to the conclusion that I probably won't do my hood for awhile until I repaint my car the same color or unless I choose to paint my bumpers.

A buddy of mine has a hook up at this exhaust shop somewhere in LA I believe. The work I've seen him do to my friends car is impressive.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:40 PM

88 260 E
In that case yeah you should replace everything cat back. You're losing alot of HP right now with all those exhaust leaks.. It'll feel like a brand new car once you're done. It's an Ansa center muffler with Sprewell rear exhaust and all new piping from the cat back. If your friend has a hook up then go for it. The actually install of the new piping is what's going to set you back. It can be as much as the exhaust itself or more in some cases.
I go to Bud's Muffler in Covina, best work and pricing. I would actually go there if you're going to get re-piped. They only charged me $35 to re-attach/re-bend my rear exhaust with new piping and flanges after my kit install. Avoid Valley Muffler, it's overpriced and shoddy work, even though I know a few shops that reccomend them. I had some work done there before and a few friends all had bad welds, mufflers rattled and had to be fixed at Bud's.

Look up Ansa for the info..Not pricey I don't think anybody has a true performance aftermarket " Center" muffler for the W124. Ansa was the closest to aftermarket performance that I found.

~Cali
Old 04-20-2005, 12:49 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah, No kidding...the missing power on the take off is sad.

So in that case, we really need the center muffler then? Yikes...looks like I'll have to buy the rear and center.

How much does Bud charge to make the custom piping from the center exhaust to cat? The shop my friend goes to charges about 80 bucks. Is that pretty expensive?

Show me some pictures of your exhaust ben. if its not too much trouble.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM

88 260 E
Chris,

Yeah I would defenitley get a new center exhaust while doing it. It's cheap shouldn't be more then $75 for the Ansa. I did my rear exhaust first then switched my center later. I noticed an improvement right away. Nothing huge but enough for you to tell , more torquey and smoother accelleration.
$80 is not bad at all, that's a pretty fair price. Bud's would probably be around the same, but I prefer Bud's since I've seen his work. He actually flanges pipe ends to make a snug fit rather then just welding and gives you advise on proper fitment, instead of taking your money and just slapping anything on.As well he did a better job welding, the previous shop(Valley Muffler) did a lousy job had small exhaust leaks at the connections. He advised me to angle my exhaust to lessen the cabin drone becuzz the exhaust tones was reflecting off the spare wheel well. What do you know, it worked, less drone in the cabin. . I'll try to take pics of my exhaust for you.

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/mer...ory_Code=Mansa

~Cali
Old 04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
how much preformance diffrence would i get from the SL if i changed the cat??!! i have a significant power + from the magnaflow. would the cats make a diffrence?

mark
Old 04-20-2005, 02:43 PM

W124
I noticed on Ebay that Remus universal applications for their "twin turbo" model are priced in the $300 range. If I'm not mistaken, some cat-back or axle-back mufflers cost that much. I know Remus is a quality brand but what makes it so great that it requires such a high price tag?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:18 PM

1994 MB E320
About the trunk... it looks to me like a case of linear perspective. :p
Old 04-21-2005, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

91' 300e // 99 300e TD // 00' ML55 AMG
haha u noticed the trunk gap!!! how do i fix that? im not sure why its like that. and no my car does not sound ricey at all. its sounds sporty for sure. the hp increase was something like 30 - 32 i think. and wholly do i notice it. i havent been listening to the stereo latley i just turn it off, crack the roof and windows a bit and listen to her hum. Its a great sound and it'll make u feel better about ur benz for sure. Im gonna leave the resinator on but im gonna change my intake to cold air. that's gonna give me more hp ( YESSS!!!!) and deeper sound. I recomend it to everyone, its and easy 30 HP and it sounds beautiful. later yall, anyone know how to fix that trunk gap holler at me please.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:54 AM

1991 300ce, 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
Hate to burst your bubble but I'd be willing to put money on it that you've gained absolutly ZERO horses. from everything I've read and have heard, putting an exhuast on a W124 does nothing to increase horsepower and if it does AT ALL it would be something like 2 or 3 horses. What you're mistaking for horse power is the sound of your engine, that you didn't hear before. I have an exhaust and I hear it but I don't feel it. Looks nice and sounds nice but that's it.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:33 AM

1995 E320
Originally Posted by tbone55
Hate to burst your bubble but I'd be willing to put money on it that you've gained absolutly ZERO horses. from everything I've read and have heard, putting an exhuast on a W124 does nothing to increase horsepower and if it does AT ALL it would be something like 2 or 3 horses. What you're mistaking for horse power is the sound of your engine, that you didn't hear before. I have an exhaust and I hear it but I don't feel it. Looks nice and sounds nice but that's it.
In some cases it does give you pedal responce if system is done right.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
^ Umm sorry, but no it won't. Pedal response has nothing to do with exhaust. The only thing you'll get out of even a full cat-back system on the inline 6 W124's is sound and a couple (5-7 MAX) horses. I put one of the best systems on my ONE2FOUR (Remus) and got nada.

30 is a dream sequence waiting to happen
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 AM

88 260 E
30 added HP is a dream, especially with a Magnaflow. There have been dyno tests done by other board members with and without the cat and or center muffler removed and the result from the tests were actually lost of HP. All you get is alot more noise which makes you think you have increased HP. Just get a new center muffler, new pipes and maybe a bored out free flowing race cat. Even though you're looking at maybe 10hp max. That's with huge piping and free flowing cats...

Sorry to burst your buble on another thing the cold air thing is junk. Unless you're going to shell out about $800 -1000 on a CF Rentech box or custom Roar system you're wasting your money. That cheap stuff on Ebay doesn't work.

~Cali
Old 04-22-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

91' 300e // 99 300e TD // 00' ML55 AMG
Old 04-23-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
300D, 500E, E420
Warning... with no catalysts, you may start going through O2 sensors. Since the cats are gone, there's not enough heat at the O2 sensor, so it's perpetually using the internal heater (which is doesn't usually need to with the cats at operating temp). At least this is what I was told when I wanted to remove them from my V8. I was told to instead install smaller/lighter high-flow cats in place of the big/heavy stock units.

BTW, I have a Remus on my E500 and the resonator (middle muffler) was removed and replaced with a straight Y-pipe. It sounds fabulous - almost a tad too quiet, but perfect really. I want to install high-flow cats eventually.