E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Itīs possible install a xenon bulbs in W124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500 2003
Itīs possible install a xenon bulbs in W124

Hi Friends, I have a E320 Coupe and i want to install a xenon. Itīs possible?? What type of bulbs has W124?

Sorry for my english.!!

Thank you

Last edited by valiance; 06-22-2005 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
First of all, Welcome to mbworld w124 forums, i hope you enjoy your stay here with us

well first you would need a xenon conversion kit because your normal wiring would not be able to support the high wattage of the xenon bulbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

( what do you all think? is that true that this kit ^^ has low and high beam? )

then you would want to get euro headlights because if you put the xenon lights through those stock ones, you will be sorely disappointed because that doesn't let much light through, those will cost from $230 up to i think $500 for the hella ones.

then you need the bulbs themselves, then you need i think adapters to go from 9004 to h4 i think, that will only cost 3 bucks. thats from what i remember from when i wanted xenon

Last edited by AMG_Fred; 06-22-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
First of all, Welcome to mbworld w124 forums, i hope you enjoy your stay here with us

well first you would need a xenon conversion kit because your normal wiring would not be able to support the high wattage of the xenon bulbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

( what do you all think? is that true that this kit ^^ has low and high beam? )

then you would want to get euro headlights because if you put the xenon lights through those stock ones, you will be sorely disappointed because that doesn't let much light through, those will cost from $230 up to i think $500 for the hella ones.

then you need the bulbs themselves, then you need i think adapters to go from 9004 to h4 i think, that will only cost 3 bucks. thats from what i remember from when i wanted xenon
1) he lives in europe meaning his came with euro headlights.
2) the wiring is not any different with zenons then without. i have them in my car
3) you need a ballast, ignightor and zenon bulbs to have them in a 124. normally you dont get highbeams. you also need to install a diffuser to limit the glare that other drives will see.

i believe if you search my name and hid you will find pics of my install as well as others.

and to answer your original question no you cant just get different bulbs.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:38 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Good job on clearing things up Eric.

Yup, Eric's install is definitely nice. You won't even be able to tell that theres a HID kit installed since the installation is so clean.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 AM

CL500 2003
Thanks for reply me.

"3) you need a ballast, ignightor and zenon bulbs to have them in a 124. normally you dont get highbeams. you also need to install a diffuser to limit the glare that other drives will see."

AMG_Eric: a diffuser??

In this kit are incluided the diffuser?? --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476

Is it more complete than this, truth? --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

"i believe if you search my name and hid you will find pics of my install as well as others." --> I canīt find it, sorry. Please, you post me the link?

I sit down it for my terrible English

Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 PM

1994 MB E320
lol I like the way you speak English.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:11 AM

CL500 2003
hahaha thanks

any post with instructions and photos about installation HID kit in W124 ??

Last edited by valiance; 06-24-2005 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=hid

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=hid

try those. my pics are on the 2nd page of the 2nd thread.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:50 PM

CL500 2003
AMG Eric. How they are the diffusers?

Are incluided in these kits? -->

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7981505597
Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
a diffuser is a piece of metal or plastic the BLOCKS the bottom part of the reflector in the headlight. lights work different then you would think. low beams use the top of the reflector and the high beams use the bottom of the reflector in your headlights.

to stop it from reflecting on the bottom of the lens and therebye eliminating your high beam u must attach a piece over the bulb. there was a piece of metal in my lens that we custom made a diffuser out of a red bull can. i painted it black so you couldnt see it and mounted it with epoxy.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:25 AM

CL500 2003
could you put a picture where it is seen? My English is not strong.

Is this? --> http://64.40.159.224/ebay/H4HiLow%20...20Position.jpg

Thank you
Old 06-26-2005, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
they might be it on the end of that bulb. the sheild.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 AM

ex 300E driver
Use hella bellasts with philips D2S # 85122 bulbs. I recommend you stay away from HID kits and go with OEM products. Mine came from a wrecked 2002 Porsche Carrera. Others have had good experiences with the HID kits. The retrofitting of an OEM system might be a little tedious for a novice, but you'll get through it. I now have Denso ballasts (OEM Lexus) and Philips #85126 bulbs in the headlights and foglights of my Monte Carlo. I installed the Xenons myself in both cars, and I'm pretty much a novice (well not anymore).
Old 06-28-2005, 07:41 AM

CL500 2003
mike690003: I have bought this kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...983657421&rd=1

I have read in the forums that McCulloch is a good product.

That you say? have I made a good purchase?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:54 AM

ex 300E driver
Please do your homework on McCulloch.............they are discontinued in the US and warranties from them are void and null in the states. Replacing parts is not available that easy and they will fail. McCulloch has a horrible reputation and a high failure rate. For its price but its bulbs are horrible, he return wire breaks easily which gives yellowish warm-up color.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:06 AM

CL500 2003
You have given me a bad news.

Some other opinion of McCulloch?

I don't care that it doesn't have warrantie, I live in Spain.

Thanks for responding
Old 06-30-2005, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
I suggest anyone interested in HID retrofitting visit www.hidplanet.com and go into the forum sections. There is a lot of information there.

To do HID correctly, you need a HID projector assembly and a CLEAR headlight lenses, your never going to get the glare under control by simply installing a HID kit (without using projectors). Even then, you need to address your headlight lense, the fluted lenses are designed to disperse halogen light, not HID light.

If you just install a HID kit into your existing lights your going to end up here
Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
I suggest anyone interested in HID retrofitting visit www.hidplanet.com and go into the forum sections. There is a lot of information there.

To do HID correctly, you need a HID projector assembly and a CLEAR headlight lenses, your never going to get the glare under control by simply installing a HID kit (without using projectors). Even then, you need to address your headlight lense, the fluted lenses are designed to disperse halogen light, not HID light.

If you just install a HID kit into your existing lights your going to end up here
you dont have any idea what you are talking about. i have a perfect install. no glare. no fix it tickets. noone flashing their high beams at me, and craploads of light. it can be done with a STOCK mbz HID assembly. ask anyone here on the forums that has seen my car. they will all assure you it is one of the cleanest and well done jobs they have seen.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
I think you really need to go over to the HID forum and enlighten/educate yourself.

http://hidplanet.com/forums/index.ph...384a2ce3519ae5

Create an account and read up. I have done several HID retro's as well, so I DO know what I am talking about.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
I think you really need to go over to the HID forum and enlighten/educate yourself.

http://hidplanet.com/forums/index.ph...384a2ce3519ae5

Create an account and read up. I have done several HID retro's as well, so I DO know what I am talking about.
well i guess (how do i say this and not be insulting) you might need to look at mine. i dont really need to sign up and read a bunch of forums on something that i already did. believe me when i say they are flawless with the exception of no highbeams. i didnt need clear lenses or projectors or anything else. all i have are s-class waterproof balasts with stock mbz/phillips bulbs installed in euro 124 headlights. it took all of 2 hours because we had to wait for paint to dry and the expoxy we used. they are in the absolute center of the reflector so i dont have all the starry stuff or glare. if you have a professional like i did install them you have a lessor chance of having problems. i know this from experience because i did them once by myself and they came out like crap.

just ask alon, rami, chris, tbone, soldier and the others that have seen them. they look factory from the outside and near factory from the inside of the engine bay. normally most people would never notice unless i pointed out where they come through the stock euro 124 headlight housing.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
I have done several pairs also, most recently on my W201, installing D2S burners into a halogen based reflector, beamed through halogen fluted lenses is going to send light all over, no if ands or buts about it, you can't re-engineer the technology to make it work with HID, (been there done that and tried that).

The reason I mention the forums is that you can actually learn a lot and see what proper HID's look like (beam patterns etc.) which I can guarantee you, your euro's don't have, if anything all your really doing is blinding on coming traffic, I know since I installed OEM BMW HID's into my Hella Euros and tried everything to get the beam patterns correct.

www.2phast.com/190e

Since you don't want to visit the HIDplanet forum, heres an excerpt (sorry the formatting is off, I copied the html from the other forum)

I really hope this thread
can help you guys. Ur making the road more dangerous than it
already is by adding a HID kit to your car. so please do HID the
right way by doing a retrofit.
<br />

<br />
HID kits are illegal due to the glare that they cause. Glare is
Light that is emitted in a Uncontrollable path. When light is
traveling in a uncontrollable path it can hit other vehicle
operators affecting there vision because of the High amount of
uncontrollable light that is being Emitted from a HID kit in a
standard Halogen housing. If you have ever turned a flashlight
on right in front of your face while it is dark out, that is the
same feeling that the other drivers on the road experience from
a standard HID kit.
<br />

<br />
OEM Vehicles such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus are all equipped
with HID or Xenon Headlights. Some use reflector housing’s
without projectors. Others use HID projectors.
<br />

<br />
The Lexus IS300 is a Prime Example of a HID reflector housing.
It does not use a Projector. It uses a Specially designed
Reflector housing that is meant to use HID. This does not create
the Super sharp cutoff. But it does control where the light is
being Emitted.
<br />

<br />
Other vehicles such as the Honda S2000 Use HID projectors, These
Projectors are meant to use HID. They are Specially Designed and
have been tested Hundreds of times to get the right projection
of light while maintaining a Good Cutoff.
<br />

<br />

<br />
Here are pictures of Halogen housings mated with a HID kit
<br />

<br />

<br />
9006 6000k HID Kit... mad glare
<br />

<br />

<br />
This teg is a prime example of Glare. This is what it looks like
to oncoming traffic
<br />

<br />

<br />
Disaster pix. HID kit in Halogen Housing
<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />
NOW THE GOOD poop..lol
<br />

<br />
This is what HID is suppose to look like.. Pictured is a STi
<br />

<br />

<br />
Talk about a Razor Sharp Cutoff. Pictured is a S2000 OEM setup
<br />

<br />

<br />
another S2000 Retrofit… YUMMY
<br />

<br />
Comparison.. Pictured is a Acura TL-S with HID from the factory
vs H4 6000K civic
<br />
See the difference?
<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />
Its not just honda's either. Here is a mid 90's Lexus with a HID
kit..
<br />

<br />
To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers;
all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of
sales.

Last edited by 2PHAST; 07-01-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:00 AM

ex 300E driver
I am also a member of HIDplanet. What 2phast is saying is correct, a hid kit install leads to glare in almost all situations. I guess yours is the 1% that gained positive results. I installed xenon in my 300E, and had a nice wide beam pattern, and produced little glare, not bad for my first ever install. To do a proper retrofit, you will pay a lot of $$, because you will need a quality set of projectors, which are NOT cheap and a load of time. Of course most do not have the funds for this project, and just put the HID's in, whihout even attempting to aim the xenons. Those are the majority of the cars we see on the road that have all the blinding HID glare.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
lol i have beams that look like the one that says "this is what they should look like."

these are the reasons why
1) i have a diffuser the blocks the bottom part of the reflector that reflects into oncoming traffic (notice the pic i attached. also note that there isnt any light coming from the bottom of the lense.)
2) my phillips bulbs were epoxy'd to an original flange for a stock h4 thereby placing the focal point in the exact place it should be
3) i have high quality mbz/bosh ballasts and high quality bulbs which give even lighting
4) i have a 124 chassis with euro lights which are far easier to dial in then a 210.
5) the diffuser i made also makes a super clean straight beam on the road. i dont have a pic of it but if u saw it you would completely understand why mine works so well.
6) i DO NOT HAVE high beams.
7) i did it the wrong way the 1st time i installed it and saught out a profession mbz master mechanic to do it correctly the 2nd time around

we can all argue til the cows come home.

fact is:
my lights are awesome.
i did it wrong the 1st time around and learned from my mistake.
i spent 700 to do it correctly the 2nd time.
there is NO cheap way to do it correctly.
it can be done.

so let's quit debating whether i have what i claim i have and whether it is possible or whether a website says it cant be done. lets focus on helping our friendly spaniard out.

Last edited by AMG_Eric; 07-01-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
sorry had to photoshop the pics.
Attached Thumbnails -p1010078copy.jpg   -p1010075copy.jpg   -p1010076copy.jpg  
Old 07-01-2005, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Hmm, well, I tried a diffuser as well, you still have the problem of the fluted lense and a reflector designed for halogen, not HID.

What does installing a D2S bulb in a H4 flange have to do with anything? Thats the only way to put a D2S bulb in a H4 housing, there really is no way to screw up the focal point.

"Even lighting" is assuming your assembly is projecting the light correctly, a Halogen reflector and a halogen fluted lense will never project the light correctly, it does not matter if you have cheap Asian made HID's or factory MB Hella/Sylvania's or diffusers.

Your comments about a "super clean straigt beam" are worthless without pictures to back it up. You saw pictures of HID's retro fitted into halogen reflector head lights and you saw HID's retro fitted with HID projector lenses, so theres a solid A/B comparison and the differences are night and day.

What do high beams have to do with anything here in this thread?

Also not sure where 210 came from, but if your referring to my old 190E, it was a W201 and the Hella light assemblys are made identical to the Hella W124 light assemblies, all the internal parts are the same and the lense fluting is also the same. I also used D2R burners (which are the correct burner to use in a reflector headlight btw.) epoxied to metal H4 mounting rings, I played with numerous different types of shields/diffusers as well, it wasn't till I actually drove a MB with factory HID that I realized what a total waste of time the whole project was.

I believe that my posts have been constructive, helpfull and educational, that was the original intent. Anyone who does any type of research whether or not you want to visit that particular HID forum or not, well, thats up to the forum readers, but there is plenty of other resources on the net and they will all point you in the same direction.

I am glad you like your lights and you feel good about the project.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Itīs possible install a xenon bulbs in W124