E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

evaporator for air-condision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 cab, W124
evaporator for air-condision

Is it difficult to put away the side board inside the car to see if the evaporator is leaking. I have already put in "leaking liquid" in the R134. I did it fore a year ago and now coiling start to reduce. There is no leaking outside the car because its clean overall I can see. If someone have a picture or know how to do it? It is so very expensive to leave the car to a AC-repairer to do all the things. Parhaps I must do it anyway. The car is a 1996 cab W124 with a E220 engine. Thanks if someone can help,
Thomas from Sweden
Old 08-05-2002, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
Beautifull car Tom.
The evaporator location on a W124 is probably the biggest mistake Mercedes did when they designed the car.
In order to have access to the evaporator, the complete dashboard, console and everything related has to come off.
It is, apparently, a 25 to 30 hours job for somebody with experience. I do not think it is a do-it-yourself job.
Good luck
jackD
Old 08-06-2002, 05:19 PM

E220 cab, W124
Tanks, oh that will be expensive for me than. Here is anather picture
Old 08-06-2002, 06:26 PM

93 300E
I believe the exact shop rate for a W124 is 22.5 hours.

Also, I've read that many technicians prefer the evaporator from a company called ACM.

The original Behr evaporator is made of copper and aluminum, which was a mistake, obviously, because of the different metals.

The ACM replacement evaporator is a perfect fit and is made of 100% copper, and never leaks, apparently. It is also much cheaper.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:40 AM
Almost a Member!

86 300e
I am a DIY'er and I did it!

It is a hell of a job but, it is "doable". It took me about a week to complete but, I save $$$$. After I replaced everything I took the car to a AC place to recharge and convert to r134. That was last year. No problems so far. I do have the manuals. If that is your only car and you are not mechanically inclined pay someone to do it. Otherwise, go for it!
Old 08-20-2002, 05:08 PM

E220 cab, W124
Thank you very much for the advice. I havent dicided yet if I dare to do it my self. It would god to have a description how to pick apart the inside interior in mercedes, havent find a god one. Perhaps learn the hard way,
Thanks Thomas
Old 08-30-2002, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi Thomas,
maybe I'm late with my comments, but I really doubt that the evaporator is the problem. I dont know what you mean by leaking liquid. But in order to locate leaks you have to fill so called UV-tracer fluid in the R134 and than run the car (and A/C) for may be 1 week maximum. Then you need a UV lamp which would then make those leaks visible. If you leave the tracer in the system for too long, it does not function anymore and the traces on the outside of the tubes, the condensor etc. disappear. Without the UV-tracer liquid you wont see anything leaking since the A/C liquid evaporates as soon as it leaves the system. My experience is that in most cases, it is the condensor infront of the main radiator which leaks, most probably on the driver side lower corner.
If it is really the condensor, just refill every year, since this is the cheapest, unfortunately the intervals may shorten over time.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:38 PM

93 300E
It's been a while since I lost posted. My comments on the above two posts:

I would not recommend doing this job by yourself (if it is the evaporator). I have been reading posts on several of these MB forums, and I can recall only two people who have done it themselves. I have read maybe over a hundred of posts by techs saying how difficult it is, how there are several other things to check and replace once the dash is out, and how other technicians have tried it and failed, and eventually brought the car to a MB mechanic to finish the job.

Also, I have read and heard from friends, the dealer, and other independent MB mechanics that the part that 99% of the time is leaking is the evaporator. I have never once read of a case where it was the condensor that was leaking.

But, I will agree that refilling the system with R134a is not a bad idea. R134a is the most inexpensive cost in your a/c system.

Also, using the u/v die will tell you where the leak is.

Last edited by suginami; 09-01-2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:19 PM

E220 cab, W124
Thanks for all advice,
have anyone experience of this?
WWW ssrintl.com SSR self-seal kit

WWW. keep-it-kool.com AC system sealer
Old 09-02-2002, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi Thomas,

even some of the guys sending advise having the evaporator under suspicion, I still belive the condensor and the surrounding hoses might be it, since they are experiencing winter conditions such as salt, gravel, sand, dirt, moisture....
I had this problem it was exactly there, and could be fixed. About the question of the sealer from keep-it-kool, my guess would be the functioning has very much to do how large the perforation is and how "hidden" the location would be for the sealer product to reach, and not be "blown" out by the pressure before hardening.
The best would be first get a clear picture of the damage and then deside what is the appropriate fix for you(r budget).

Last edited by bamberger_1; 09-19-2002 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:20 PM

evaporator test

if the leak detection dye is in the system, let the car run with a/c on. go under the car and look at the a/c drain lines (where the water drips under the car) if you see the dye, that is a good indication there is an evaporator leak. also, when you start the car in the morning with the blower on, you will smell what seems like the inside of a horse stable faintly.

acm evaporators are all i will use, the come with the expansion valve. you will need to replace the receiver-drier as well, and don't forget to update the switches on the drier. it is a hell of a job for someone who has never done it. it pays somewhere around 20 hours depending who you ask, an experienced mechanic who has done it REPEATEDLY can conceivably make it in one very LONG day w/o lunch. a good mechanic who has never done one will never make it in time, and a home wrencher who has never done it and has no guidance might make it in a week.

good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM

W124 E36T AMG; W124 500E
Originally Posted by suginami
<SNIP>
Also, I've read that many technicians prefer the evaporator from a company called ACM.

The original Behr evaporator is made of copper and aluminum, which was a mistake, obviously, because of the different metals.

The ACM replacement evaporator is a perfect fit and is made of 100% copper, and never leaks, apparently. It is also much cheaper.

Good luck.
The ACM unit is all aluminum, not all copper.

FWIW, it is do-able, I've done it.

:-) neil