E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

$95 w124 300E Euro Headlight Glass @Ebay--It is great deal and works for my upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up $95 w124 300E Euro Headlight Glass @Ebay--It is great deal and works for my upgrade

My buddy is selling the glass pair for $95, made in Taiwan. It is not the best, but hey it only costs a fraction and I put on myself with ease!! Just saved at least $200!!

My 1991 300e comes with the headlight wipers, and the glass is a perfect fit!!

The best part is that I didn't need to take out the whole assembly, just loosen a couple bolts. Then I removed both the plastic and glass covers on the US model by using a flat-tipped screwdriver, and glued the Euro glass onto the frame/bracket of the original plastic cover.

That is it! Nice and easy, my headlight cleaner still there!! My car has a new face, and is worth $400 more if I sell it now!!

I will take some time to post my pictures later.

Item number: 8047639554

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Last edited by UpgradeSmart; 03-22-2006 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
Very tempting, I still have thoughts to upgrading to euro style and want to keep my headlight wipers.......Does anybody see anydownfalls to this? I mean there are some but what was I really goin to do with my stock headlights anyway?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 AM

These are cheap plastic lenses that "glue" over the top of your existing ones, so your already crappy DOT light out put will be even crappier! The lenses will yellow within weeks, not to mention the condensation problems when it rains or when you wash your car. The bulbs will burn out twice as fast.

I would spend the extra money & buy quality - if you appreciate quality.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by UpgradeSmart
My buddy is selling the glass pair for $95, made in Taiwan. It is not the best, but hey it only costs a fraction and I put on myself with ease!! Just saved at least $200!!

My 1991 300e comes with the headlight wipers, and the glass is a perfect fit!!

The best part is that I didn't need to take out the whole assembly, just loosen a couple bolts. Then I removed both the plastic and glass covers on the US model by using a flat-tipped screwdriver, and glued the Euro glass onto the frame/bracket of the original plastic cover.

That is it! Nice and easy, my headlight cleaner still there!! My car has a new face, and is worth $400 more if I sell it now!!

I will take some time to post my pictures later.

Item number: 8047639554

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
your friend must be really hungry to sell this idea of his - I have seen this ad in the local craigslist here in boston and now ebay, I know that he's based in New Jersey.

I mean I'm not knocking his hustle but telling people that they have to glue this to their exsisting bracket sounds a bit sketchy if you ask me...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
FWIW, your headlight wipers are not going to look or work correctly using these lenses. The OE headlight motor shafts are too short, so your arms would be angled when laid flush against the glass. You would need to swap our the motors for 94-95 motors with the longer shafts on them.

I ran into this problem when I upgraded my headlights.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
These are cheap plastic lenses that "glue" over the top of your existing ones, so your already crappy DOT light out put will be even crappier! The lenses will yellow within weeks, not to mention the condensation problems when it rains or when you wash your car. The bulbs will burn out twice as fast.

I would spend the extra money & buy quality - if you appreciate quality.
Not to cut you off but, I'm not an old blind guy that shouldn't be driving at night. I'm fine driving with the stock lighting system. Nothing crappy went on the benz stock. If you really depend on upgraded lighting don't you think that that deserve some further looking into? As he states its glass not plastic, if you have some skill you can water proof seal the lights pretty good. I would still remove the whole assembly to before doing this. And how would your bulbs burn out twice as fast?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 PM

And yes I do like quality but I also don't like to put things to waste. Lets see first remove wipers and motors, get new paneling and repainting of it, for just a few more feet of light? If you have a tendency to speed then I understand. If lighting is a problem get Hella and KC offroad lights mounted to your front bumper, might as well as you already surpassed the classic stock look to euros and not us standard lights.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:20 PM

Pictures as promised for my 1991 300E

You are the judge, the Jury is out

Have a great day!
Attached Thumbnails  w124 300E Euro Headlight Glass @Ebay--It is great deal and works for my upgrade-0-gold-small.jpg    w124 300E Euro Headlight Glass @Ebay--It is great deal and works for my upgrade-0-left-gold-small.jpg  
Old 03-22-2006, 06:45 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Some details from another forum...

1, Upgradesmart had the same name for his email address
(SteveLi) as the ebay seller started with 2 years ago.

--It is a safe bet that this guy and his friend are one and the same and he is here being dishonest for his own reasons.

2, Since his suggestion has you gluing a new lens RIGHT OVER THE TOP of the existing headlight lens, the result can only be a further reduction in lighting. You cannot increase candlepower by adding lenses.

3, His claim that for $100 he increased his car's value by $400 is beyond stupid...and combined with his "story" about being a friend of the ebay seller...this guy is a common fraud.

Anyway, he linked these boards from his other identical postings on other boards...and I am going to take a looksee around. Pardon the intrusion!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 PM

True that I doubt it will enhance the lighting at all. And that isn't the most honest way to market yourself, but in this day and time, time waits on nobody so I understand why he would speed things up like this. And in no way do I think headlights will increase the value on a car by a degree like some try to point out as a big deal. The example pic does look good, but like I said earlier,"Not everybody can do this!".

I'm on nobody's side, but I'm usually one of the open minded people that are willing to try something new, especially if it doesn't hurt my pocket.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by RHW
2, Since his suggestion has you gluing a new lens RIGHT OVER THE TOP of the existing headlight lens, the result can only be a further reduction in lighting. You cannot increase candlepower by adding lenses.
not defending the guy, i would rather get a full set of lights off ebay, but i don't think you actually glue this on top of the existing lens, you remove the existing lens and put this glass piece in it's place...

Originally Posted by UpgradeSmart
Then I removed both the plastic and glass covers on the US model by using a flat-tipped screwdriver, and glued the Euro glass onto the frame/bracket of the original plastic cover.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:08 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
lol. Those lenses look like crap.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 AM

W124
If they go over the existing plastic cover then it will only make it more blurry and hinder your view at night.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 AM

Better glue them on tight, or its' lights out, if the bulbs get wet during a storm. Just when you need them most.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Makahveli
True that I doubt it will enhance the lighting at all. And that isn't the most honest way to market yourself
^understatement.

He came on here claiming to be a satisfied client instead of the actual seller.

That should tell you all you need to know about this seller.