E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Questions about ATF and Coolant.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992.5 400E W124
Questions about ATF and Coolant.

Hi,
I'm a new owner of a 93 400E, just got it last month and had the garage do some work to it, New Front discs, brake pads all around, engine mounts and tranny's too, Air filters, engine and tranny oil filters, oil cooler hoses, Steering arms and shock absorber, expansion tank (old one was leaking, new one is a different shape than the old one?), expansion tank cap and new ATF and Coolant.

The thing is the garage seems to have used normal ATF fluid, not the MB stuff that comes in 1 litre packs (I gave him an unopened 1 litre pack and told him to buy more to add, when I got the car back the pack was unopened, even though he kept saying the ATF is MB specification, I have no reason to belive him) also the coolant is Blue colored part #0009890825, and I know for sure that MB's require the orange coolant, he also kept saying that this is the correct coolant for the engine.

So tell me guys, will I have any problems if I keep the ATF and coolant, or is it better to change them to avoid catastrophies in the future?

btw I think the coolant is not mixed with any water, can't be sure of that though.

hate having others work on my car, but don't have the time/equipment to work on it on my own.

One funny thing, I asked him to changed the brake fluid, He told me that it dosent need to be changed EVER only topped up, lol. Car seems to have the same brake fluid since 93! Braking is definetly not half as good as the 98 740il I currently drive, is this normal?

Thanks a lot W124 fanatics.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello mate,
AFAIK the coolant should be blue. The old ones are orange and MB changed them to blue-ish green in recent years. Hope this helps I'm no mechanic..

As for the tranny fluid. I used some equivalent product not the genuine MB stuff.. AFAIK, as long as your gearbox is not the 5speed tranny with a separate ECU, you won't have any problems using a substitute product.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by jeffreyli86; 05-05-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 PM

U need to use genuine MB coolant or equivalent. I use Honda cooland in all my MBs (it has the same specs).

Due to the engine material, other coolants react with the metal and do not do a good job. So type of coolant is important.

Tranny and axel oil - I used Mobil 1 Syn. Seems to have worked for me.+
Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM

1992.5 400E W124
According to WIS i have the 722.354 Tranny which is the 4 speed, so no worries there.
Gotta call the dealer tomorro to check on the coolant, currently temperature dosent go above 90C even with the A/C on the coldest setting at 130Kmh.
The A/C is another problem, filling it with gas dosent last 24 hours! Tried both R143 and R12, gonna take it to the mechanic tomorro to spot the leak, hope it isn't the evaporator

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:10 PM

1993 300CE Sportline
brake fluid change

you wrote:One funny thing, I asked him to changed the brake fluid, He told me that it dosent need to be changed EVER only topped up, lol. Car seems to have the same brake fluid since 93! Braking is definetly not half as good as the 98 740il I currently drive, is this normal?

Brake fluid NEEDS to be changed/flushed every 2-3 years. And it doesn't cost much...$45 to $85 dollars (the $85 was quote from MB dealer and of course using MB branded fluid Dot 4+) No offense but your "mechanic" is out of his mind if he states the brake fluid NEVER needs replacing. You say braking is half as good as...Well, duh! (no offense again) its got water in it! Brake fluid naturally attracts water/moisture and this changes the way the fluid compresses, it gets mushy. Plus the water in the system will soon rust out the system...master cylinder, lines, calipers etc. It's is far cheaper to flush than to wait for a huge replacement of parts. Yikes! Maybe its time to find a garage who has worked on MB's and still works on MB's. When I selected a garage I was attracted to one that had its parking lot full of MB's Porsches and BMW's. Not a guarantee, but a good start.
Good luck!
kurt
1993 300CE
new brake fluid as of next week
Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Water in brake fluid is a legend.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf50412.htm
Old 05-05-2006, 04:07 PM

1992.5 400E W124
Hehe, you should have seen the look on my face when he said that

I'm not keen on going to him again, after I told him specificly to use the MB ATF fluid and even gave him 1 litre of it, and he ignored all.

Mechanics around here are all like that, i'm trying someone else tomorro.

I would flush the brake system myself (done that in the past) but that was a non-abs equiped car, and i certinally don't want to cook the ABS unit.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Don't let the ABS prevent you from changing the brake fluid. Most MB DIYers change their own brake fluid without doing anything special to the ABS.

Except for the fact that the mechanic disregarded your reasonable wishes, I wouldn't fret over the transmission fluid. Regular Dexron 3 is specified for your car and will work fine. I can't understand why you insist on having $9-16/qt MB fluid when $2/qt fluid will work fine... just change it twice as often. If you insist on synthetic transmission fluid, there are many other good choices over-the-counter such as Mobil synthetic.

mbmodem, what does engine material have to do with coolant choice? MB, and all other auto manufacturers, generally use the same materials in their cooling systems - cast iron blocks, cast aluminum heads, rubber hoses, aluminum or copper radiators, etc. - with only a few exceptions. In my opinion, as long as all old coolant is flushed from the system, you can use any antifreeze you desire, though I generally recommend using Zerex G05, which is the same as MB antifreeze, only cheaper.

Last edited by Kestas; 05-05-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:12 PM

1992.5 400E W124
Kestas: I think MB coolant contains phosphates (sp?) and silica gell that apparently does good to the cooling system, on my car today temperature rose to above the mark thats above the 80 mark (what a way to describe eh?) I think thats a 100C, when it was 40C outside in traffic jam, think thats reasonable (A/C was off).

I'll sort the brake fluid once I repair the leak in the A/C system, the mechanic told me that the leak is coming under the dashboard (Evaporator....Glup). I'm hoping its not....

KWB210: i once changed brake oil in a 20 year old car, with 20 year old brake fluid, It was BLACK when it came out, unbeliveable.