E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

help me pick my wheel fitment. extreme size/offset

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me pick my wheel fitment. extreme size/offset

i ordered work euroline DH about 2 weeks ago in 18x8 35mm offset all around. well the shop i ordered the wheels thru is waiting on 2 more orders before they put mine in so they can get cheaper shipping so im gonna change my size to a more "aggressive" fit.

im aware the size i initially ordered will fit but i want something more aggressive. my fenders are rolled and im working on a custom suspension to dump the car so i just need it flush with the fenders like the car pictured below.

whats the lowest offset i can run with rolled fenders. i hear i can pull of +20 but i dont wanna do trial and error on $3000 wheels. also how wide can i go to achieve the look?

im searched on numerious forums including this one with no real answer. i have to have the reorder in by tues so im tryin to get it all figured out. i was never good at calculating offsets/size on wheels.. i usually just see a pic i like and run their offset to be safe. but i dont see many w124's running extreme offsets.

im not looking for anything too extreme that id have to run certain degrees of camber, just something that will fill the fenders and make it look flush.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
I am running 17x8 with an offset of 28 and that is about as harcore an offset as you want to go.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
If you want them to be super close to the lip of the fender, you might find that fender-rolling won't allow you to get as close as you want. I have read of some people actually cutting and grinding the lip of the fender off. Obviously you'd have to do it very cautiously, and then you'd have to touch up the paint to keep it from rusting out, but this will allow you to get the tires very very close to the fender.

In terms of off-set, I couldn't tell you. I have 18x8's ET35 with rolled fenders, and IMO, they are very very close. If you really like the original rims you ordered, why not consider some hub spacers to decrease the offset? That way you can play with it a little bit and don't have to go through the stress of the guess-and-check work with $3k rims. Just a thought.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpete123
If you want them to be super close to the lip of the fender, you might find that fender-rolling won't allow you to get as close as you want. I have read of some people actually cutting and grinding the lip of the fender off. Obviously you'd have to do it very cautiously, and then you'd have to touch up the paint to keep it from rusting out, but this will allow you to get the tires very very close to the fender.

In terms of off-set, I couldn't tell you. I have 18x8's ET35 with rolled fenders, and IMO, they are very very close. If you really like the original rims you ordered, why not consider some hub spacers to decrease the offset? That way you can play with it a little bit and don't have to go through the stress of the guess-and-check work with $3k rims. Just a thought.
pix of your setup?

youre right about the spacer idea. i spoke to chris about spacers and that was my initial idea. but since there is a hault on the shipping, i just wanted to double check and see if there was any more agreesive offsets i can run before i order a wheel i wont be pleased with.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:49 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I'm pretty sure Alon & I are running the most aggressive offset on the board and it's pretty hardcore right now. lol I should take some pictures for you so you can see how flushed with the fenders they are.

Anyhow, If you want - I could send you a AMG manual which shows you how to install the Fender spacers and mod the rear fenders to accommedate more aggressive wheels in the rear. Just shoot me your email addy. Have you talked to Sander's about the wheel situation?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
I'm pretty sure Alon & I are running the most aggressive offset on the board and it's pretty hardcore right now. lol I should take some pictures for you so you can see how flushed with the fenders they are.

Anyhow, If you want - I could send you a AMG manual which shows you how to install the Fender spacers and mod the rear fenders to accommedate more aggressive wheels in the rear. Just shoot me your email addy. Have you talked to Sander's about the wheel situation?
ya chris shoot me some pix if you can. thatd be cool. if you dont mind, id like to see the amg manual. my email is jdmfiend@Yahoo.com

btw, im comin to the frisco area in august.
all my fresno/modesto friends are meeting me there. u should come party with us
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdmfiend
ya chris shoot me some pix if you can. thatd be cool. if you dont mind, id like to see the amg manual. my email is jdmfiend@Yahoo.com

btw can i go any wider than 8 or any lower offsets?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
You can go 18x8 in the front with a 35mm offset and 18x8.5 in the back with a 30 offset on rolled lips.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by jdmfiend

I'll snap some new pictures for you when I get my digital camera back from my sister. Other than that, I'll send you some somewhat recent ones and the manual your way in a few.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was 89' 300E, Now 93' 500SEL
Camra phone man!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Almost a Member!

Wink

I'm running 18x8 with 38 offset all around.. no rubbing, no rolled fenders or any other modifications.. just a thought
Old 06-23-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
You can go 18x8 in the front with a 35mm offset and 18x8.5 in the back with a 30 offset on rolled lips.
chris is running 17x8 +28 with rolled fenders and spacers.

im trying to go low offsets, high width.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
here are some pics. This was over a year and a half ago right after I had my H&R springs installed. The car sits slightly lower now that the springs have settled.

With 8" wide rims and ET35, you can see that the fronts are pretty close to the fenders. Maybe they could be a few mm closer, but not much:

Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
I have 18x8's ET35 with rolled fenders, and IMO, they are very very close.
Do they ever rub?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:59 PM

Now that is Clean! Im going to go 19x8 and 19x9.5 in the rear. what do you think?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 PM

just dont wanna play trial and error with $3500 wheels. spacers will give me the luxury of ****ing up then throwing it back into spec. im not too sure how many mm the spacer is. so if i can do a +28 with a spacer, a +20 will fit flush?

edit: found some info on the spacers.

1) 1/2" original AMG fender spacer size $20.00
2) 1" extreme kit $22.00
3) 1 1/4" super extreme kit. $25.00

so does that mean i can run +20 w/o spacers? i mean ill be running the extra 8mm from the spacer anyway.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:16 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
jdmfiend, did you get my email?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
jdmfiend, did you get my email?
yes i did. just opened it. its really interesting, just need to sit down and read it closer. sucks having to switch screens here @ work.

thx a lot bro.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
No problem man. Let me know if you need to see anything else.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
Do they ever rub?
Honestly, no. I can turn my steering wheel all the way either direction and I have no rubbing. If I'm turning and going over a bump a the same time, I'm always extra cautious and I drive slowly. But to my knowledge, I have no rubbing issues.

Oh, well come to think of it- I did have a bit of rubbing at first in the front. It would rub right where the lower body molding attaches to the fender arch (right in front of the door). The scuffed up area isn't visible unless you looked inside the wheel well. The rubbing was very very minor and eventually my tires just shaved down the plastic molding. They no longer rub at all. I think they only rubbed a little when I went over bumps.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Oh and another thing. jdm, if you want the tires to be flush with the fender on the outside, why would you want to add fender spacers? Unless my understanding of the spacers is wrong, won't they just move your outer fender away from your tires? That will just defeat the purpose of this whole exercise.

The spacers I was referring to were the kind that you stick between your hub and your wheel to decrease the offset (i.e. to push the wheel out toward the outer fender). Correct me if I'm missing something here.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
Yeah my fronts never rub as well and turn radius is still excellent. BigPete I noticed or it looks as if your rear tires aren't aligned, does it not fit aligned? I'm still riding with my rear not aligned yet, no wait I'm not riding right now, a balljoint snaped while I was driving.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:35 AM

Oh and another thing. jdm, if you want the tires to be flush with the fender on the outside, why would you want to add fender spacers? Unless my understanding of the spacers is wrong, won't they just move your outer fender away from your tires? That will just defeat the purpose of this whole exercise.

The spacers I was referring to were the kind that you stick between your hub and your wheel to decrease the offset (i.e. to push the wheel out toward the outer fender). Correct me if I'm missing something here.
i meant like this. sorry for any confusion. im prob gonna run some spacers on the stock wheels until i get a fitment i like, do the math, then go from there. i want it slightly aggressive, but not so much id have to modify too much. im thinking a +22 would fit flush. anyone know how many mm the amg spacers are? and what other spacers we can run just so i can do some more research like so:

+32 wheel started

added one 5mm spacer to take the offset down to +27. added another 5mm spacer to take the offset down to +22.

results:

which allowed the next person to have the info, in order to know that this would work:
Old 06-24-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Makahveli
Yeah my fronts never rub as well and turn radius is still excellent. BigPete I noticed or it looks as if your rear tires aren't aligned, does it not fit aligned? I'm still riding with my rear not aligned yet, no wait I'm not riding right now, a balljoint snaped while I was driving.

So you went with 18x8.5" in the front with no rub? Does your wheels seem flushed tot he car or does it stick out?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Originally Posted by Makahveli
Actually, my rears are pretty well aligned, to my knowledge. I've been on these tires for around 20 months or so, and the tire wear in the rear is pretty even. The fronts are a completely different story. They have worn on the outsides pretty badly. The shop that lowered my car didn't do a very good job of aligning them, I guess...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help me pick my wheel fitment. extreme size/offset