E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Please Help me with my thermostat...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 E
Please Help me with my thermostat...

I need to replace the thermostat in my car... could someone please show me where the thermostat is located and how i can replace it.. i can imagine that it is probably really simple.. but someone please just steer me in the right direction...
thanks everyone
Old 11-24-2006, 05:30 PM

300 E
here.. ill tell the story of the bull**** that went down this morning.. today on my way to work my car was soooooo cold.. and i was driving and noticed that my thermostat guage thingy was kinda high.. like way above 80.. i was almost at work so i was like whatever.. but it scared me. when i went to turn my heater on hopeing to expell some of the hot air.. it would only blow cold air.. so i was like.. wtf.. if it is sooooo hot but wont blow hot air wtf is the problem.. so im getting a new thermostat and hopeing that that will correct it.. but i have no idea.. anyways.. thats the issue.. does anyone know what could be the problem or if the thermostat will actually fix it.. help help help.. hehe thanx
Old 11-24-2006, 09:30 PM

W124
The thermostat is located where the top radiator hose meets the engine block. Its held down by three screws. If you're changing your thermostat I highly recommend you replace the o-ring gasket and run a flush. When you refill the system w/ new coolant make sure you use distilled water when you make your solution. I'm pretty sure its not the problem but I'd double check and make sure its not the heater core.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
It seems to me that your climate control module is gone, quite common problem. I am talking about the push-button unit that switches airflow . You can find a re-built one for around $200
Old 11-26-2006, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

91' 300e // 99 300e TD // 00' ML55 AMG
its the thermostat not the climate control man i had the same problem ,i was gonna go help her today but its so ****ing snowy i didnt elave my house! jenny i have ur rad fluid so il lcome tomrrow and help ok? sry babe
Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
I thought that his temperature gauge was high, over 80. Not possible if the thermostat is stuck open.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 PM

300 E
um... I am a girl.. haha... so its SHE no HE arnie.. and i have no idea what the problem is.. imma change the thermostate.. then if that doesnt fix it.. ill see what else could be the prob.. thanx for the help tho.

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 AM

W124
Actually a car can still heat up pretty bad with a stuck open thermostat. What's happening is that the coolant in the radiator isn't being allowed to cool off hence no heat exchange is taking place. What happens is you have hot fluid circulating through the block without having a chance to cool off in the radiator.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:03 AM

300 E
oh well new problems have arrived.. OF COURSE.. apparently the guy who had my car before me put something funky into the rad so its all FROZEN... now this is a whooooolle new problem.. im deffinitly changeing the thermostat but now i have to drain all the stuff thats in there already.. my god. im so scared imma **** it up.. but oh well.. well see what happens.... if anyone has any knowledge about all this help me.. haha.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:55 AM

300 E
Originally Posted by NorCal124
Actually a car can still heat up pretty bad with a stuck open thermostat. What's happening is that the coolant in the radiator isn't being allowed to cool off hence no heat exchange is taking place. What happens is you have hot fluid circulating through the block without having a chance to cool off in the radiator.
so what do you suggest i do..
Old 11-27-2006, 08:58 AM

W124
Given that you live in Canada, I think the previous owner didn't put enough coolant in his solution. You normally run a 50/50 coolant/distilled water mix but since the chances of freezing are greater up north I'd suggest 65% coolant and 35% water.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by JennzBenz
here.. ill tell the story of the bull**** that went down this morning.. today on my way to work my car was soooooo cold.. and i was driving and noticed that my thermostat guage thingy was kinda high.. like way above 80.. i was almost at work so i was like whatever.. but it scared me. when i went to turn my heater on hopeing to expell some of the hot air.. it would only blow cold air.. so i was like.. wtf.. if it is sooooo hot but wont blow hot air wtf is the problem.. so im getting a new thermostat and hopeing that that will correct it.. but i have no idea.. anyways.. thats the issue.. does anyone know what could be the problem or if the thermostat will actually fix it.. help help help.. hehe thanx
Hot engine + no heat from heater = no coolant left OR coolant blocked by something.

Thermostats "go" in the open position, so that's usually not the cause of a hot engine.

However, if your coolant (sounds more like water) is frozen in your radiator, that would cause the type of symptoms your car is having.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:31 AM

300 E
thanks everyone.. i brought my car into my garage today to thaw out all my fluid... it was frozen like pretty much solid... so shes thawed and me and the guru are gonna put my new thermostat in and change my fluid and that should fix her.. thanx for your help everyone.. much appreciated... and by the by... its -25 degrees outside today.. SOOOO cold.. my car sat on my drive way for the past 3 days, NO one thought she would start..( except me of course ) but sure enough.. she started like it was a nice summer day.. heheh. you know how benz do.. hah.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 PM

W124
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
Hot engine + no heat from heater = no coolant left OR coolant blocked by something.

Thermostats "go" in the open position, so that's usually not the cause of a hot engine.

However, if your coolant (sounds more like water) is frozen in your radiator, that would cause the type of symptoms your car is having.
Thats not always the case. Even thermostats that advertise a "stay open" feature in instances of failure aren't 100% full proof.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by NorCal124
Thats not always the case. Even thermostats that advertise a "stay open" feature in instances of failure aren't 100% full proof.
Oh, thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 AM

300 E
OMG. the cover thingy to my thermostat will NOT come off.. like at all. its fused on there for good.. sooooooooooooo looks like off to the dealership she goes ...
Old 11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Almost a Member!

You need to try to put a torch to it to heat it up, then try to break it loose. Over time all the heat cycles it goes through will make it basically weld to itself. You need to try to heat it first. A good heat gun may do the trick.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 PM

W124
try smacking the thermostat housing w/ a rubber mallet.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 PM

300 E
new thermostat in today... finally.. hehe.. (( took the old thermostat and put it in boiling water to see if it would open up.. and IT DID!!!)) so wtf.. i would think that that means its not broken.. car still not really heating up.. even with new thermo and new fluid.. well half new fluid.. cause the t.stat wouldnt come off and we couldnt drain it all.. so imma take her for a spin right now and see what happens.. as soon as i can get her in for a engine flush thats where im going.. cause its just a mess now!! i think maybe theres like an air pocket or soemthing somewhere that isnt allowing the collant to circulate properlly.. AHHH i dont know.. but she isnt over heating anymore.. so thats good..
Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 AM

300 E
Ahhhh there's HEAT!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Good to hear! How come in teh defrost/defog mode it only blows hot air? At least mine does, no matter what temp teh dial is on it always blows hot air on the windshield? On all my fords it automatically turns on the A/C compressor when you switch to defrost/defog so it will do either hot or cold air.