E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Lowering Springs Question !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300E
Lowering Springs Question !!

So got these really wide tires (17x 8.5 ET 30 for the rear) for my bad boy benz and plus I live in snow country so I'm not looking for that low mean look but at the same time I do want it lower than what it is, coz honestly I think i can take a on a Hummer on a rock crawling contest.

I DO NOT want to roll my fenders, I hear the paint gets cracked and you need to repaint it and yada yada !! Too much mess too much money !!

SO, I was thinking what if I only get vogtland springs or any other please recommend and thats it. Will it lower my ride? Or will I need shocks too ? Coz if I need shocks, then I need like camber kits and that is expensive. And without camber kits I hear your bushings go like in 10,000 kms or your control arm snaps.

The least I need is the stock height for the e320's or 400 E's !! My car is *shakes head* I don't know why its got this massive gap in the rear section.

So yeah, advice please !!

NOTE: Any info of coil overs ?? I don't know anything about them.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Almost a Member!

260E
i use h&r springs which give a 45mm drop all around, after being on several car cruises the valves on my rear shock has become loud so i am now going to replace all 4 shock absorbers, if i were to upgrade the suspension i would buy it right the 1st time and go straight with the h&r cup kit, which includes the bilstein shock and a better spring. being 17s you wouldnt have any problems with guard rubbing, you might wanna check out the other thread going on about the max wheel size for the rears..
Old 02-10-2007, 11:17 AM

1988 300E
Read the entire thread, doesn't answer my question !!

What I want to know is:

1) Can I lower my car with just the springs only? Or do I need to get the whole lot of springs + shocks + camber kits + whatever else is needed of which I am not aware !!

Bottom line is, how the hell do I lower my car without getting into too much hassle.

Help is appreciated !!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by xudeck
The least I need is the stock height for the e320's or 400 E's !!
if that's the case, first check to see what spring pads you are running, it sounds like maybe you are on three of four... if you switch to #1 pads all around, you could get 10-15mm lower depending on what you're on now, without changing out springs or shocks or anything...
Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yes, you can just put springs on your car and lower it. It might not be the best solution as getting shocks and springs but I know a lot of people who are doing that and the ride is fine - just not the handling.

Not everyone needs Camber Kits. It depends on the persons car - when I had my 300E with the Vogtlands & Bilsteins I didn't need a camber kit at all.

Damn Fezz, we already discussed this topic!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM

1988 300E
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Yes, you can just put springs on your car and lower it. It might not be the best solution as getting shocks and springs but I know a lot of people who are doing that and the ride is fine - just not the handling.

Not everyone needs Camber Kits. It depends on the persons car - when I had my 300E with the Vogtlands & Bilsteins I didn't need a camber kit at all.

Damn Fezz, we already discussed this topic!
I know we did, but Chris, back then I wasn't really close to actually buying or installing anything. Now I am, I got my rims getting a magnaflow as soon as the next paycheck comes so yeah. I want to get a flowmaster but cant find any info on any websites. Things are rolling you know.

Plus you never reply to my emails....*hmph* ...haha !!

K ill just email you ...and RESPOND BRO !!!

Oh btw a 400E is parting out, anything i should get from that car to update things on mine? Im getting the swaybars....and the body cladding, but anything else ?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:31 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Maybe the interior pieces such as the wood and etc if it's in good condition.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Almost a Member!

260E
Read the entire thread, doesn't answer my question !!

What I want to know is:

1) Can I lower my car with just the springs only? Or do I need to get the whole lot of springs + shocks + camber kits + whatever else is needed of which I am not aware !!

Bottom line is, how the hell do I lower my car without getting into too much hassle.

Help is appreciated !!
mate i gave you 1st hand advice as i just replaced the springs at 1st.. your always going to get hassles modifying your car.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:58 PM

1988 300E
Yeah I hear ya.

Somebody told me this is what I should get for my car

Koni sport struts (yellow)
H&R sport lowering springs
KYB strut and shock mounts (front only)
KYB struct boots (front only)
Old 02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah I hear ya.

Somebody told me this is what I should get for my car

Koni sport struts (yellow)
H&R sport lowering springs
KYB strut and shock mounts (front only)
KYB struct boots (front only)
Who the hell told you to get that?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 AM

1988 300E
Some guy who runs performance MB store

Bad idea ?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
I got H&R springs and went the cheap route and stuck with the stock shocks. That was a mistake in the long run. It's going to wear your shocks out extremely quickly because the shorter springs cause the shocks to compress constantly. That ruins them. So after about a year, I had to switch to bilstein sports, and it was WAY better. So you will get by fine for a while, but eventually you'll need to cough up the money.

So if you're gonna lower your car and use 8.5" rims, you most likely will need to roll your fenders, get new shocks, get an alignment, and often times you'll need a camber kit for at least the rear.

My tires have worn abnormally quickly and I am pretty sure it's because I need a camber kit.

I'm sorry to break the bad news, but it's better for you to know before you commit to this.

Now it sounds to me like you probably need a moderate alternative. So you might be able to get away with the stock shocks of you lower your car with eibach springs. it won't slam your car by any means, but it will be easier on your shocks and probably won't require a camber kit. So I'd look into that.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
You shouldn't pair lowering springs with stock shocks. Lowering springs will cause the stock shocks to constantly stay low in their travel (crappy ride) and will trash them over time.

Get some Bilstein Sports + Vogtland springs.

Besides, are you on the OE shocks that came with the car? They probably need to be changed anyway.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:30 PM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
You shouldn't pair lowering springs with stock shocks. Lowering springs will cause the stock shocks to constantly stay low in their travel (crappy ride) and will trash them over time.

Get some Bilstein Sports + Vogtland springs.

Besides, are you on the OE shocks that came with the car? They probably need to be changed anyway
That only makes sense....and that's also why I lowered my car. It was the right time

-OG
Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 PM

1992 400E
how much are the bilsteins for a full set?
i think my shocks are blown like cocaine.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
haha. love the comparison.

They should run you anywhere from $400-450.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300E
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
haha. love the comparison.

They should run you anywhere from $400-450.
how are the kyb shocks? They are about half the price of bilstein's but they are supposed to be of comparable quality. Anybody running these with lowering springs?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
I've heard of some people liking the kyb's, but if you took it to vote I think most would disapprove. I have no experience with them, but I definitely researched them before settling on bilstein sports. Most people say they are really harsh and stiff. But if you don't mind that and price is more of an issue to you than ride quality and handling, I think they're a fine alternative.

I think the more sensible route is to treat your benz like a benz and put quality parts on it. If you're gonna pay to lower the car, you might as well just save up for another month or two and do it right from the get-go. it's all about delayed gratification, b*tches.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
I think the more sensible route is to treat your benz like a benz and put quality parts on it.
Amen, brother.