E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

10 Degrees Caster? Anyone tried less?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2007 | 02:50 AM

92 300TE 4Matic
10 Degrees Caster? Anyone tried less?

When I first got my Benz (in feb.) I thought it drove like a shopping cart - way too much caster. Now that I'm used to it, I don't notice it so much.
The caster spec is about 10 degrees for a 124 but most other cars are 3 to 4 degrees. I'm about to have the car aligned (got new tires and wheels) and I was thinking of telling them to set the caster a little less.

Anyone tried setting their caster a little less than spec?

Also, I hope one spare eccentric bolt is enough for an alignment.
Old 04-06-2007 | 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by MediumKahuna
When I first got my Benz (in feb.) I thought it drove like a shopping cart - way too much caster. Now that I'm used to it, I don't notice it so much.
The caster spec is about 10 degrees for a 124 but most other cars are 3 to 4 degrees. I'm about to have the car aligned (got new tires and wheels) and I was thinking of telling them to set the caster a little less.

Anyone tried setting their caster a little less than spec?

Also, I hope one spare eccentric bolt is enough for an alignment.
Have you checked your tierods? Just had an alignment and replaced those too. What a difference!
Old 04-07-2007 | 12:31 AM

92 300TE 4Matic
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Have you checked your tierods? Just had an alignment and replaced those too. What a difference!
I'm replacing one tie rod, rebuilding the idler arm and replacing the steering damper. I'll probably regret not doing both tie rods but only the right has any slop and 4-matic tie rods are $70 a piece (twice as much as non 4-matic).

Besides my shop said they would do a "just toe" alignment cheap if I have them replace the other tie rod later.

With used AMG wheels (ebay), new Nitto tires, tensioner and belt, the other tie rod would put me over the $2k limit the boss gave me (unless I want to manage the money and do the taxes which I don't).

I got one front and one rear new eccentric bolts in case they have to bust one to do the alignment. I hope thats enough.

After that, I need euro headlights, need to find my short and Bessy is tip top.
Say do you know how to get the drivers left kick panel off?
How hard was it to pull up all that carpet to get under the back seats?
Old 04-07-2007 | 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
The carpet is kind of a pain in the ***. You need to remove the plastic door sill cap, and some of the windlace trim. then you have to take the back seat bottoms out, which is a snap, literally, then remove the plastic trim at the seat bottom hinges. Then it is a matter of pulling and prying the carpet out and around the hinges and pins....

The kick panel you speak of, are you meaning the one to the left of the driver? That one is a bit tricky too. Again you need to remove the platic door sill cap and partially remove the windlace, at the bottom corner that is now exposed you should see a small screw holding into to the body. It has been a while since I did this last, but you also have to pull up the carpet mats and there will be a thumbscrew holding it down to the floorboard/firewall

I can't recall if you need to remove the underside of the dash or not.