E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

ABS light is on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 S14
ABS light is on?

My car has recently started to act stupid. When I am doing about 45mph, sometimes the ABS light comes on and the car seems to stick a little. By this I mean that I have to give it a little more gas to maintain speed. If I let off the gas, it starts to slow like I am gently braking. Could this be a brake line issue, or am I way off here?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 300e
I have the exact problem, would love to hear what is causing this gremlin. To add, in my case the ABS light never says on for more than about 10 seconds, and sometimes giving more gas makes it return to normal or lifting off the gas sometimes corrects it. Only seems to happen on the highway.

Hoping it's a cheap fix.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Two things to do that are cheap and need to be done regardless of issues. replace your brake fluid.... and remove the front wheels to gain access to the ABS sensor. Pull it out and clean it. You will find that it comes out with two #6mm(i believe) hex heads. they collect files of metal. I had the same issue and did this, and the problem was gone.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM

1995 S14
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Two things to do that are cheap and need to be done regardless of issues. replace your brake fluid.... and remove the front wheels to gain access to the ABS sensor. Pull it out and clean it. You will find that it comes out with two #6mm(i believe) hex heads. they collect files of metal. I had the same issue and did this, and the problem was gone.
I will give it a whirl this weekend. However, I had the speed sensors replaced on the front last year, would it not fix this? Thanks for the tips
Old 05-04-2007, 05:28 PM

1994 W124 E320 cabriolet
I had a problem with my ABS light not extinguishing after start-up. A change of the OVP fuse cured that fault.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by w124nutuk
I had a problem with my ABS light not extinguishing after start-up. A change of the OVP fuse cured that fault.
correct, faulty ovp will cause you abs light to stay on...but I dont see this being Garf's problem.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM

1995 S14
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
correct, faulty ovp will cause you abs light to stay on...but I dont see this being Garf's problem.
It isn't. My light only comes on sometimes and at random times. BUT, when it does, I can feel the car do a small shift change or something. When I am sitting still, it is like it shifts down . When I am driving, it seems like the car is gently braking or holding back on me. When the light goes off (after a few minutes) it feels like I gain about 20hp back. If only it were 5 years from now, I could diagnose and fix this in a jiffy
Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 PM

1987 260E
I have a similar problem. I replaced the OVP fuse for the ABS light, the ABS works now but randomly under light braking, ABS will activate and prevent braking for a moment. Not too safe if you ask me. I'd like to just removed the ABS module but I don't know where it is. Where is it located?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Garfy, I would get it fixed ASAP...don't drive it if you can avoid it. Brake/throttle issues can be life threatening....I know, my throttle cable on my '89 got stuck ON in a parking lot when I was 20.....head on into a parked car while I was pulling into a parking spot....coulda been MUCH worse though...pedestrians, kids...WTF. MB would do nothing about it, saying it was my responsibility to maintain the car. Oh sure...umm, can you top off the washer fluid, do an oil change and brakes and hmmm....lemme see, uh maybe replace screw #340 and hey while you're at it take a look at the map pockets...oh if you have time, maybe check that my car will stop accelerating when I take the foot off the gas...that would be cool.

LOL /rant
Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
Originally Posted by w124nutuk
same here both OVP fuses blew on my car replaced them and no more problem
Old 12-18-2007, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 300CE
Hey guys, what is OVP fuse? kept reading and searching...
Anyway, maybe the fuse, or, if you check the manual, the ABS light comes on randomly when youre alternator can't charged to specs...
I've been there. The engine would stall randomly, with light coming on in the dash... Got quick under the car, scared as hell, because like Zorro said, it aint no joke, and started searching. The alt. was to blame, because I figuered that it only came on when I was using all off my comfort electric things. It was ok with the A/C on, radio, headlights, and when I rurned on the heat in the seats, everything whent wild... So I went on and replaced alternator, and it got all good again.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
Originally Posted by Garfunkle_W124
My car has recently started to act stupid. When I am doing about 45mph, sometimes the ABS light comes on and the car seems to stick a little. By this I mean that I have to give it a little more gas to maintain speed. If I let off the gas, it starts to slow like I am gently braking. Could this be a brake line issue, or am I way off here?
Garfy, when I had this same problem, I went to my merc mechanic. He told me to spray wd40 on the rotors the next time the light came on (also had a bad squeaking problem) and the light hasnt came on since

I dont know...worked for me tho
Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
i think i can help here.OVP i posted a thing on this a while back
The OVP runs almost every electrical circuits on your car.
OVP= Over voltage protector.
It is located behind a black pastic cover, behind the battery.
It has 1 or 2 fuses on top.
it looks like this

Pull the plastic cover off behind the battery and locate the OVP relay. Sometimes they're difficult to re-install, you should be able to figure it out. it could be a blown 10A fuse it replace both pf them if you have 2