E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

SLS on 1991 300TE 124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
300TE, 300CE
SLS on 1991 300TE 124

There is no flow of hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir on my 300TE.

Can the level control unit be rebuilt? Is there a seal kit?

Can the tandem pump (power steering and power hydraulic oil) be rebuilt? Has anyone disassembled one to replace a broken shear pin for the hydraulic oil pump?

Thanks, Dave
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
if no flow is coming back, have you tried filling it to the dipstick level? or is it just low? So what is happening is that you fill it, and it dissapears?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM

300TE, 300CE
SLS doesn't

Thanks for asking. I was hoping either you or shadowgriffin would respond.

Fluid level fine in reservoir, not low. Ride of car is fine in the rear- no noise, not harsh or too soft or bouncy. TE has 140k miles, accumulators replaced at 120k and fluid flushed out and new filter. Leak in high pressure hose from pump to metal line to rear at 133k miles, so hose replaced and system flushed per George Murphy protocol. No leaks anywhere now.

So what’s my problem? The SLS doesn’t. I had seven people (third seat option) in the car going to a tailgate party, and rear end did not rise up. Luckily I did not have to drive too far or at speed. Next, I backed the car up on ramps, disconnected the linkage, moved it to the fill position (engine on @ 2000rpm), then to the empty position, and no movement of rear suspension. No leaks noticed back there.

I saw a post where someone reminded us that the fluid is constantly circulating, and so one could see it spill into the top of the reservoir when the engine is on. Mine does not do that.

The MB service manual shows a shear pin in the tandem pump for the radial vanes that pump the hydraulic fluid. The pin breaks if the hydraulic circuit is somehow overloaded, to preserve the function of the power steering pump. I’m wondering if mine has sheared, since I don’t see fluid being returned to the reservoir.

Any thoughts? Next stop, the MB indie. Dave
Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by ds190
Thanks for asking. I was hoping either you or shadowgriffin would respond.

Fluid level fine in reservoir, not low. Ride of car is fine in the rear- no noise, not harsh or too soft or bouncy. TE has 140k miles, accumulators replaced at 120k and fluid flushed out and new filter. Leak in high pressure hose from pump to metal line to rear at 133k miles, so hose replaced and system flushed per George Murphy protocol. No leaks anywhere now.

So what’s my problem? The SLS doesn’t. I had seven people (third seat option) in the car going to a tailgate party, and rear end did not rise up. Luckily I did not have to drive too far or at speed. Next, I backed the car up on ramps, disconnected the linkage, moved it to the fill position (engine on @ 2000rpm), then to the empty position, and no movement of rear suspension. No leaks noticed back there.

I saw a post where someone reminded us that the fluid is constantly circulating, and so one could see it spill into the top of the reservoir when the engine is on. Mine does not do that.

The MB service manual shows a shear pin in the tandem pump for the radial vanes that pump the hydraulic fluid. The pin breaks if the hydraulic circuit is somehow overloaded, to preserve the function of the power steering pump. I’m wondering if mine has sheared, since I don’t see fluid being returned to the reservoir.

Any thoughts? Next stop, the MB indie. Dave
there is what looks like a lever underneath the rear-pass side, right next to the rear axle.

look for it, it's a rod that connects to the swaybar, it's the adjustment rod.

that may be your problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Hmm. You know, I must be honest, my SLS is not performing quite as desired. I replaced the accumulators soon after I bought the car(20000mi ago) and flushed the fluid, and I thought I have flow into the tank, but this last weekend I had 6 people in the car for a trip to a bar. I was in the waaay back since we had a DD , anyways, the system didn't seem to be up to par, not on the ground but not normal ride height.

Per your manual that you are refering to, do you have any pdf's you could post. My disks are at my folks house and I won't be back there until the end of the week. I think my first check will be the adjustment linkage. I just hate the thought of taking it to a shop and paying someone to fix something that I can do.

But it sounds like you are onto something with that shear pin. Nice work detective
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Hmm. You know, I must be honest, my SLS is not performing quite as desired. I replaced the accumulators soon after I bought the car(20000mi ago) and flushed the fluid, and I thought I have flow into the tank, but this last weekend I had 6 people in the car for a trip to a bar. I was in the waaay back since we had a DD , anyways, the system didn't seem to be up to par, not on the ground but not normal ride height.

Per your manual that you are refering to, do you have any pdf's you could post. My disks are at my folks house and I won't be back there until the end of the week. I think my first check will be the adjustment linkage. I just hate the thought of taking it to a shop and paying someone to fix something that I can do.

But it sounds like you are onto something with that shear pin. Nice work detective
LOL@you in the back

Dont feel bad, mine has gotten progressively worse during the years, i'm pretty certain the accumulators are Toast.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
yeah, I wanted to see what it felt like. Being driven in your own baby is an odd feeling, then add to that you are looking backwards, ho-boy . I am 5'8" and it wasn't uncomfortable at all, infact it was nice. With the deep tint in the windows and night approaching, I was able to "pre-funk" on the trip, it was great but don't tell nobody
Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 PM

300TE, 300CE
Not in town

Myfirstbenz, I am out of town on business and not home until Saturday. I could pdf the pages then, but can't help now. Sorry, Dave
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
No worries. Safe travels.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
yeah, I wanted to see what it felt like. Being driven in your own baby is an odd feeling, then add to that you are looking backwards, ho-boy . I am 5'8" and it wasn't uncomfortable at all, infact it was nice. With the deep tint in the windows and night approaching, I was able to "pre-funk" on the trip, it was great but don't tell nobody

I would be PWNd if I were to sit back there, I could not help but Vom.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
beer soothes the stomach, duh! I get car sick pretty easily, like if I were to read in a moving car, but the tinted windows and dusk helped.