E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Is it stupid of me to want this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
tell me about it man. The thing is this. It was a snowball.

I didn't get all of this maintenance done all at once... at first, I had the mentality that my car will perform properly "if I just do this next repair"...

My mechanic told me the cost for #6 was going to be much lower (in the $3k range) because he was just planning on the head gasket and valve job... When he got everything apart and back together, all of the other things in #6 revealed that they needed replacing as well... which was validated by the fact that another shop who did a quote for all of the necessary repairs listed each of those items... I blew them off because I thought they were full of crap. Turned out that shop was actually right.

So that's how I got stuck with the $4,500... and at that point, my mentality switched from the "if I just do this next repair" thing to "I can't sell it now, I'll take a HUGE loss!".
I am worried about something like this happening to me if I decide to go for the head gasket and wiring harness at some point. They may find I need some more things once they get in there. I could also get it done fine and then find I need a transmission or that stupid evaporator deal. I sometimes think that I could pay for everything and it would still be less than a newer vehicle, but I am starting to wonder if my car really is nicer than the newer cars. It is unique and cool and stuff, but maybe a newer BMW or Lexus would be great! Super cold AC, quieter, nicer stereo, etc., and no known looming big repairs that seems to be part of owning an older Benz or an older car of any make for the matter.

Last edited by ksing44; 07-26-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
tell me about it man. The thing is this. It was a snowball.

I didn't get all of this maintenance done all at once... at first, I had the mentality that my car will perform properly "if I just do this next repair"...

My mechanic told me the cost for #6 was going to be much lower (in the $3k range) because he was just planning on the head gasket and valve job... When he got everything apart and back together, all of the other things in #6 revealed that they needed replacing as well... which was validated by the fact that another shop who did a quote for all of the necessary repairs listed each of those items... I blew them off because I thought they were full of crap. Turned out that shop was actually right.

So that's how I got stuck with the $4,500... and at that point, my mentality switched from the "if I just do this next repair" thing to "I can't sell it now, I'll take a HUGE loss!".

Plus, I actually really love the car. I love it one moment, hate it the next. But I definitely should've sold it before the head gasket job... then I wouldn't have spent 1/4 of all of that money and could've bought a pretty new one.

You know what they say about hindsight.

EDIT- btw, those repairs aren't listed in order of when I did them.
I understand P, trust me I love my car and would do everything possible to salvage it from another (idiot's?) hands...but, damn that just hurts to hear

why do our cars have to be so EFFIN expensive
Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by shdoug
^ Hope I didn't offend you. I shouldn't say Honda's are lame, they are actually very well designed and it's hard to find fault with them. They are just not much fun to drive aggressively. I like the fact that in this car I don't pass others driving the same car- ever.
Correction, Hondas aren't fun to drive at all The feelings I get when I am in a honda are A: fear for my life, B: the sensation that I am in a coleman cooler being dragged down a gravel road.

When I get back into my w124, I feel like I am floating on a river of silk while germanic trumpets herald my way.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
When I get back into my w124, I feel like I am floating on a river of silk while germanic trumpets herald my way.
lol...

I will tell you that when I get back from a trip where I've rented another car, it's very reassuring to be behind the wheel of one of my benzes.

BTW.....have we scared off the original poster?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Chappy
lol...

I will tell you that when I get back from a trip where I've rented another car, it's very reassuring to be behind the wheel of one of my benzes.

BTW.....have we scared off the original poster?
what original poster?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
what original poster?
He went to the Coleman/Honda forum. Great analogy, MFB! I was going to say a styrofoam brick, but yours is better.