E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

buying a w124!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a w124!

hey guys,

im in the process of selling my Subaru legacy gt-b and im definitely going to get a w124 next

just deciding which has the best balance of power to fuel economy and which is the best buy. i dont want a e200 slug but not looking to get a 500 either as it will cost too much to run and maintain

im looking at e320s as my choice so far

im from New Zealand btw..

any help appreciated guys
Old 09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Get a Kombi fo sho!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Trigga
i would (and did) get one of those.... more than enough power for me and the way i drive
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
My E320 had plenty of power and averaged 21 MPG in town. The money for gas is a drop in the bucket when something breaks, though.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'69 280SL, '95 E320 Wagon, '86 Toyota SR5 Truck, '69 Honda Trail 90,
Hello Trigga:
Isn't that interesting: I have a Subaru Outback also and have had it since 1998. I bought it new and have 45k miles on it. So far, it has been very good: I have had no problems at all. Still on the original tyres and brakes. I do all my own work. The driver's seat sags a little on the outboard side.
Then I ran across this 1995 E320 Wagon on Craig's list: It's almost like new. Original paint, two small dents and one little scratch not penetrating the paint. All systems working, except the A/C and I think I just fixed that. Have to wait for a really hot day for a meaningful functional test. My neighbor thought I got a new car. It looks new. I can see a dilemma coming up: Do I keep the Subi or the MB? I also have a '69 280SL that is now in perfect shape. Except the "chick magnet" is broken. I was assured it was a perfect Chick magnet. My friendly Mercedes dealer tells me it's not covered by warranty and it's me, not the car. I also have a Toyota truck, very old, 200k miles and very reliable since I rebuilt the head. My dogs love it. I do too. No worries when I park somewhere close, or back into things. On a really nice day I ride my Honda trail 90 around the neighborhood. It runs wonderful since I rebuilt the engine, put a S90 cam in and installed disk brakes in front.
What to do? You let me know! The E320 is a wonderful car but you have to work on it yourself. Shade tree mechanics will screw it up for sure. Even the authorised Mercedes shop couln't figure out the A/C problem. The P.O. had Starmark warranty and on top of that spent a lot of money. I have all the receipts. If you don't understand the systems on the car very well yourself, you might believe what the mechanic tells you. You can't judge for yourself. Really well qualified mechanics are very rare. They work on all models and may not have the specific experience for these old W124 cars. If you can't do your own work, stay away unless you are very rich (IMHO)
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320 or 300E.

actually, any of the six cylinder models will work just fine. i have a 2.6 and id much rather have the later non turbo diesel 3.0 as found in our 1995 models. i dont know how the fuel situation is there, but i do long trips regularly enough that id appreciate one.

ps go springboks

Last edited by neanderthal; 09-02-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 AM

95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
1992-1995 300E Diesel will be my next choice.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'69 280SL, '95 E320 Wagon, '86 Toyota SR5 Truck, '69 Honda Trail 90,
Problem with the older diesels is the noise at idle, especially when the engine is cold. Once the engine has warmed up, it becomes aceptable. Around here, Seattle, Wa, planet earth, diesel fuel is considerably more expensive than gasoline. I had a diesel car: 1980 Chevrolet Wagon. It was an 8 cylinder engine. Ran wonderful when it was new for about 22k miles. Then, one headgasket started leaking. Actually, there was a leak from the beginning: I could smell it in the coolant, but the dealer denied it. Because the car was under new vehicle warranty, I couldn't touch it. Was told to drive it until it broke, then they'd repair it. They did. But they damaged the bores and it used oil from then on, and they broke other parts on the engine. I just brought them a box full of broken parts and they replaced them. I drove that engine until about 60k miles and then replaced it with a gas engine. It made a very satisfactory automobile.I had it 18 years. Funny thing though: No shop would do the conversion for me because of emmission regulations. I got an engine from a junk yard and drove it for 1000 miles. Then I pulled it and overhauled it. Even balanced the pistons. Used the same transmission and rear axle.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Problem with the older diesels is the noise at idle, especially when the engine is cold. Once the engine has warmed up, it becomes aceptable. Around here, Seattle, Wa, planet earth, diesel fuel is considerably more expensive than gasoline. I had a diesel car: 1980 Chevrolet Wagon. It was an 8 cylinder engine. Ran wonderful when it was new for about 22k miles. Then, one headgasket started leaking. Actually, there was a leak from the beginning: I could smell it in the coolant, but the dealer denied it. Because the car was under new vehicle warranty, I couldn't touch it. Was told to drive it until it broke, then they'd repair it. They did. But they damaged the bores and it used oil from then on, and they broke other parts on the engine. I just brought them a box full of broken parts and they replaced them. I drove that engine until about 60k miles and then replaced it with a gas engine. It made a very satisfactory automobile.I had it 18 years. Funny thing though: No shop would do the conversion for me because of emmission regulations. I got an engine from a junk yard and drove it for 1000 miles. Then I pulled it and overhauled it. Even balanced the pistons. Used the same transmission and rear axle.
I had 4 of those GM Diesels. All but one of them had leaky head gaskets. I found that by drilling a 1/8" hole in the t-stat it would keep from air locking the water pump and ran great. Still a POS, though. No power, injector pumps and glow plugs lasted about 60K, noisy. I think MB Diesels are pretty much bullet proof. They invented the Diesel, didn't they?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Problem with the older diesels is the noise at idle, especially when the engine is cold. ..........

i know you're not seriously comparing GMs diesel engine, which was a pontiac (or buick, cant remember) gas engine that was "converted" to diesel with mercedes engines. mercedes has been using diesel engines in their passenger cars since the late fifties/ early sixties. noise aside, id say they've pretty much got it down when it comes to diesels.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by Trigga
hey guys,

im in the process of selling my Subaru legacy gt-b and im definitely going to get a w124 next

just deciding which has the best balance of power to fuel economy and which is the best buy. i dont want a e200 slug but not looking to get a 500 either as it will cost too much to run and maintain

im from New Zealand btw..

any help appreciated guys
buy my bros 300CE
Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 AM

haha pass. i want a 4 door

im thinking ill go with an e320 as i can take it to a mercedes dealer or continental car service shop. at least they arent as advanced as the newer mercs e.g. a bug eye e320 - i was considering one but i imagine the bills would be outrageous

can the e320 run on 91 unleaded or only 98?

the gas bill is about $80 per week on my subaru and that is about 375km out of a tank of 98 unleaded which is about $1.60 p/ltr round about